Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Writing sites?
Hey there. (:

I'm currently trying to get myself back into the habit of writing on a regular basis. I know a lot of you are writers, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to get some suggestions from the community on online communities for writers to share their work. I've been browsing through Google and have found some options, and joined some, but I'm the kind of person who is a little leery and anxious about jumping into communities without hearing about them first haha.

I'm really looking for something that's open to my style of writing - at the moment, I'm more into writing vignettes that typically act more as sort of abstract character studies, so I'm not looking for a site that's super geared towards writing novels exclusively. My genre of writing is more in literary fiction with the occasional postmodernist influence, so I'm also looking for sites that have a broad spectrum of genres, and aren't focussed on a more specific selection, (ex. fantasy/sci fi/young adult, etc.)

I'd honestly prefer a more friendly community than a strictly professional, no-nonsense one - I'm looking more for a sharing and encouraging community than an overly critical one, you know? (: I'm twenty-four, so a community geared less towards young teen writers would be wonderful.

In any case, I currently belong to Storywrite and Writerscafe (not entirely sure how I feel about either at the moment haha) - I've got tabs open for Authonomy, Booksie, Fictionpress, Figment, and Protagonize, so any insight on those in particular would be fantastic.

Thank you! c:
Hey there. (:

I'm currently trying to get myself back into the habit of writing on a regular basis. I know a lot of you are writers, and I'm hoping that I'll be able to get some suggestions from the community on online communities for writers to share their work. I've been browsing through Google and have found some options, and joined some, but I'm the kind of person who is a little leery and anxious about jumping into communities without hearing about them first haha.

I'm really looking for something that's open to my style of writing - at the moment, I'm more into writing vignettes that typically act more as sort of abstract character studies, so I'm not looking for a site that's super geared towards writing novels exclusively. My genre of writing is more in literary fiction with the occasional postmodernist influence, so I'm also looking for sites that have a broad spectrum of genres, and aren't focussed on a more specific selection, (ex. fantasy/sci fi/young adult, etc.)

I'd honestly prefer a more friendly community than a strictly professional, no-nonsense one - I'm looking more for a sharing and encouraging community than an overly critical one, you know? (: I'm twenty-four, so a community geared less towards young teen writers would be wonderful.

In any case, I currently belong to Storywrite and Writerscafe (not entirely sure how I feel about either at the moment haha) - I've got tabs open for Authonomy, Booksie, Fictionpress, Figment, and Protagonize, so any insight on those in particular would be fantastic.

Thank you! c:
a star sign out of whack.
Have you looked at Wattpad?

If not, Wattpad is a site where you can choose from any genre, from a random story, to historical fiction! It's for users any age, mostly 13 and up. It's a friendly community of writers, and you can write any type of story!

http://www.wattpad.com/about

It is a fun site! If you ever do join, I'd be glad to help you if you need it! ^•^
Have you looked at Wattpad?

If not, Wattpad is a site where you can choose from any genre, from a random story, to historical fiction! It's for users any age, mostly 13 and up. It's a friendly community of writers, and you can write any type of story!

http://www.wattpad.com/about

It is a fun site! If you ever do join, I'd be glad to help you if you need it! ^•^
sig.png 1D7bNEj.png
@FlameDraco
Thank you, I'll have a look! c:
@FlameDraco
Thank you, I'll have a look! c:
@karamazov
I'm 23 and also looking for the same sort of writing community that you are haha. I went to a high school where we had writing classes at the end of the academic day and so that was a really positive, motivating, cool experience to be writing and reading and learning about writing from peers, and I've been missing that kind of experience.

I've looked into most of the ones you've listed, plus wattpad, but I'm not getting a vibe of activity from them ( but maybe I just haven't spent enough time on them to know?) Most of the writing archives I've seen online are for fanworks, which are great and awesome and good for them in their own right, but they not the kind of genre/community that I'm looking for.

So anyways, what I'm trying to get at here is... I feel for you lol. And if you find something out there, would you ping/PM me because I am also supremely interested?
@karamazov
I'm 23 and also looking for the same sort of writing community that you are haha. I went to a high school where we had writing classes at the end of the academic day and so that was a really positive, motivating, cool experience to be writing and reading and learning about writing from peers, and I've been missing that kind of experience.

I've looked into most of the ones you've listed, plus wattpad, but I'm not getting a vibe of activity from them ( but maybe I just haven't spent enough time on them to know?) Most of the writing archives I've seen online are for fanworks, which are great and awesome and good for them in their own right, but they not the kind of genre/community that I'm looking for.

So anyways, what I'm trying to get at here is... I feel for you lol. And if you find something out there, would you ping/PM me because I am also supremely interested?
» Hatcheryxxxxxx
» Art Threadxxxx
uVq8EoD.png
@UFO
Oh gosh, yeah, I've been poking around the I know exactly what you mean with the activity thing - it's a little disappointing. I'll definitely be happy to keep you in the loop though, of course. If anything it'll be nice to maybe go into a site "knowing" somebody who's in the same kind of mindset haha.
@UFO
Oh gosh, yeah, I've been poking around the I know exactly what you mean with the activity thing - it's a little disappointing. I'll definitely be happy to keep you in the loop though, of course. If anything it'll be nice to maybe go into a site "knowing" somebody who's in the same kind of mindset haha.
@karamazov
Definitely ( :

You got a writing budding right here!
@karamazov
Definitely ( :

You got a writing budding right here!
» Hatcheryxxxxxx
» Art Threadxxxx
uVq8EoD.png
I suggest WattPad c:
I suggest WattPad c:
MUYNhfy.png
QRVupBA.png ACOZFAh.png hh5n4WA.png

tumblr_p14ugnvISB1v0ohcpo1_500.gif
@UFO Wattpad is very active. It can be over capacity sometimes, but not a lot. There a thousands of of people active in the clubs alone.
@UFO Wattpad is very active. It can be over capacity sometimes, but not a lot. There a thousands of of people active in the clubs alone.
sig.png 1D7bNEj.png
Wattpad is a bit...weird, to navigate, it took me a couple of days to really get the forum bit of it. It can come off as an unactive website.
Wattpad is a bit...weird, to navigate, it took me a couple of days to really get the forum bit of it. It can come off as an unactive website.

I'm just a tiny watering can, nourishing my tiny plant friends