Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | fun MMORPGS?
i just got a new computer thats capable of playing mmos so i wanna know some good ones that are out there. up for anything besides pay-to-win formula lol
i just got a new computer thats capable of playing mmos so i wanna know some good ones that are out there. up for anything besides pay-to-win formula lol
qPUMNWy.png
I used to love MapleStory, although I'm not sure how it is nowadays, as it's been a few years since I last played it. The only MMO I hear about people playing and actually enjoying these days is WoW, tbh, but I don't know if you want to pay money or what.
I used to love MapleStory, although I'm not sure how it is nowadays, as it's been a few years since I last played it. The only MMO I hear about people playing and actually enjoying these days is WoW, tbh, but I don't know if you want to pay money or what.
@Koopaling

I'm in the ArcheAge alpha right now, and I like it about 1000% more than I thought I would (it was a gift). It's $150 for alpha access but you get a ton of in-game stuff, 3 months of Patron status (which is like a paid upgrade that gets you more stuff in-game), and a bunch of premium game currency.

You can also pay to get into the beta, either with or without more extras for $100 or $50 right now. I'm not sure if the beta is running - I think they're slowly opening it up. Here's a list of what you get on each of the sponsorship packages.

I haven't done any PvP yet but apparently it's good. Eventually you can buy various ships and naval PvP is a thing, but you can also get boats for fishing and for travel. The farming and housing system is pretty complex, and you can also run goods across the country for merchants and they pay you. You raise many of your mounts and battle pets and they level up with you.

idk, I just haven't really meshed with any games in a few years and I'm really liking this one so I'm pretty excited. lol There are a bunch of ArcheAge streams up on Twitch if you want to take a peek. I'm still not sure if I would have spent the money on alpha access if I knew I liked it - it's a loooot of money - but it's definitely awesome.
@Koopaling

I'm in the ArcheAge alpha right now, and I like it about 1000% more than I thought I would (it was a gift). It's $150 for alpha access but you get a ton of in-game stuff, 3 months of Patron status (which is like a paid upgrade that gets you more stuff in-game), and a bunch of premium game currency.

You can also pay to get into the beta, either with or without more extras for $100 or $50 right now. I'm not sure if the beta is running - I think they're slowly opening it up. Here's a list of what you get on each of the sponsorship packages.

I haven't done any PvP yet but apparently it's good. Eventually you can buy various ships and naval PvP is a thing, but you can also get boats for fishing and for travel. The farming and housing system is pretty complex, and you can also run goods across the country for merchants and they pay you. You raise many of your mounts and battle pets and they level up with you.

idk, I just haven't really meshed with any games in a few years and I'm really liking this one so I'm pretty excited. lol There are a bunch of ArcheAge streams up on Twitch if you want to take a peek. I'm still not sure if I would have spent the money on alpha access if I knew I liked it - it's a loooot of money - but it's definitely awesome.
tumblr_n69vu8VRkE1t0ibwro6_250.gif
@Koopaling
Well I'm kind of still in the Runescape craze so I'll definitely recommend it (and I can help you through the beginning if you'd like!) but other MMOs I like are PSO2 (Phantasy Star Online 2), which is actually a Japanese MMO but people have patched it to English.

I also recommend Aura Kingdom!
@Koopaling
Well I'm kind of still in the Runescape craze so I'll definitely recommend it (and I can help you through the beginning if you'd like!) but other MMOs I like are PSO2 (Phantasy Star Online 2), which is actually a Japanese MMO but people have patched it to English.

I also recommend Aura Kingdom!
I've played far too many MMOs over the years, but I'll do my best to give you a few that I can really say are good.

Dragon Nest: Some may argue it's pay-to-win, but I never really experienced that myself. Dragon Nest stands out to me because it actually has a halfway decent plot (as opposed to the generic "evil is taking over the wooorlldd save us chosen one!!") and extremely fun action-based combat that isn't your typical point-and-click. Each class is different from each other yet all extremely fun, and they all get their own neat little stories to go with them. Overall it's something I enjoy and recommend.

Puzzle Pirates: Puzzle Pirates is a pretty unique one that's been around for a long time, and by its name you should be able to tell it's very puzzle-based. I definitely wouldn't call it pay-to-win, more like "skill-to-win". The faster and better you learn to play the puzzles, the more opportunities open up to you to explore all the neat features in the game. A really neat experience as far as MMOs go, with a lot to do.

Spiral Knights: Developed and published by the same company that made Puzzle Pirates, Spiral Knights also offers a unique MMO experience that I haven't really seen elsewhere. The main premise is dungeon diving through semi-random dungeons and facing the unique challenges presented by each floor. My only issue with it is that it gets a bit too challenging too quickly, so I highly recommend playing it with a friend, or making some new ones on there.

Hope this helps; I might have a couple more I can list off if none of these really interest you.
I've played far too many MMOs over the years, but I'll do my best to give you a few that I can really say are good.

Dragon Nest: Some may argue it's pay-to-win, but I never really experienced that myself. Dragon Nest stands out to me because it actually has a halfway decent plot (as opposed to the generic "evil is taking over the wooorlldd save us chosen one!!") and extremely fun action-based combat that isn't your typical point-and-click. Each class is different from each other yet all extremely fun, and they all get their own neat little stories to go with them. Overall it's something I enjoy and recommend.

Puzzle Pirates: Puzzle Pirates is a pretty unique one that's been around for a long time, and by its name you should be able to tell it's very puzzle-based. I definitely wouldn't call it pay-to-win, more like "skill-to-win". The faster and better you learn to play the puzzles, the more opportunities open up to you to explore all the neat features in the game. A really neat experience as far as MMOs go, with a lot to do.

Spiral Knights: Developed and published by the same company that made Puzzle Pirates, Spiral Knights also offers a unique MMO experience that I haven't really seen elsewhere. The main premise is dungeon diving through semi-random dungeons and facing the unique challenges presented by each floor. My only issue with it is that it gets a bit too challenging too quickly, so I highly recommend playing it with a friend, or making some new ones on there.

Hope this helps; I might have a couple more I can list off if none of these really interest you.
I would say Phantasy Star Online 2, but the game is only available in Japan and no one knows if it is going to come to NA anytime soon if at all. So I don't know if that counts.

There is an English Patch and all that so you can play in English and a lot of people realize that Ship 2 is where most of the English speakers play. The reason why I like PSO2 the most is because it is actually action based (Edit: Like Dragon Nest in response to the comment above me! @Jesster :P I actually played DN until I started playing PSO2.) and isn't like a monotonous skill manager or clicking game. PSO2 is F2P but has a subscription system that is optional. (I'm not exactly sure on all of the benefits that gives you but I don't think there is any major advantage over F2P players.)

PSO2 is a dungeon/instance style MMO. It is actually possible to solo all of the non-event based areas and missions, but I highly recommend playing with friends and others as, like in any game like this, that will make the game more enjoyable. But even if you don't have friends or you don't wanna join publics you can use NPC partners or Friend Partners that you or your friends made.

I suppose in a way PSO2 is sort of repetitive, but the fact that you can swap out classes any time you want in the ship and the Code system can really make up for that. (Code system being like a surprise or sudden missions or quests during an area. The more people in the area the more likely they will happen.) Also everyone gets their own drops from everything so no having to worry about distributing loot or anything like that, just pick up everything you see on your screen because it belongs to you and you only.

Here's a video of the game play to show what I mean exactly. Note that the video is of extremely early levels as well as very early in development. The video was uploaded on 2011 and it's 2014, so obviously the game has changed a lot but the general idea/theme is the same.

Of course like I said earlier the game is Japanese only atm, (Well there is a SEA version also but no NA version.) so you will have to look up guides on how to sign up and what items do what and all that, (Which there are plenty of sites for but I won't bother listing them here, because I would have to link about 5 sites or something.) even with the English patch, as well as obviously having to play with players that you might not understand because they speak Japanese. XP. Thankfully you can copy/paste stuff out of the game and throw it in Google translate or something for a quick idea. So I would understand if that turns you away from the game, but to me it really is a great MMO to try.
I would say Phantasy Star Online 2, but the game is only available in Japan and no one knows if it is going to come to NA anytime soon if at all. So I don't know if that counts.

There is an English Patch and all that so you can play in English and a lot of people realize that Ship 2 is where most of the English speakers play. The reason why I like PSO2 the most is because it is actually action based (Edit: Like Dragon Nest in response to the comment above me! @Jesster :P I actually played DN until I started playing PSO2.) and isn't like a monotonous skill manager or clicking game. PSO2 is F2P but has a subscription system that is optional. (I'm not exactly sure on all of the benefits that gives you but I don't think there is any major advantage over F2P players.)

PSO2 is a dungeon/instance style MMO. It is actually possible to solo all of the non-event based areas and missions, but I highly recommend playing with friends and others as, like in any game like this, that will make the game more enjoyable. But even if you don't have friends or you don't wanna join publics you can use NPC partners or Friend Partners that you or your friends made.

I suppose in a way PSO2 is sort of repetitive, but the fact that you can swap out classes any time you want in the ship and the Code system can really make up for that. (Code system being like a surprise or sudden missions or quests during an area. The more people in the area the more likely they will happen.) Also everyone gets their own drops from everything so no having to worry about distributing loot or anything like that, just pick up everything you see on your screen because it belongs to you and you only.

Here's a video of the game play to show what I mean exactly. Note that the video is of extremely early levels as well as very early in development. The video was uploaded on 2011 and it's 2014, so obviously the game has changed a lot but the general idea/theme is the same.

Of course like I said earlier the game is Japanese only atm, (Well there is a SEA version also but no NA version.) so you will have to look up guides on how to sign up and what items do what and all that, (Which there are plenty of sites for but I won't bother listing them here, because I would have to link about 5 sites or something.) even with the English patch, as well as obviously having to play with players that you might not understand because they speak Japanese. XP. Thankfully you can copy/paste stuff out of the game and throw it in Google translate or something for a quick idea. So I would understand if that turns you away from the game, but to me it really is a great MMO to try.
Path of Exile (free) and Guild Wars 2 (one time payment) are good games that I recommend!
Path of Exile (free) and Guild Wars 2 (one time payment) are good games that I recommend!

wes | 28 | fr +3
iuEBSJ3.png
QRVupBA.png
ePOliyb.png

tumblr_ospvc67HxP1v8lm95o2_r2_250.gif