Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Let's Talk Hair Dye
1 2 3 4 5
I usually go to a salon and they do it for me there because I do not trust myself with my hair at all. I'll find a person that can do my hair well and I'll stay there for years until the person moves on, or the shop closes, or something of the like.

I typically end up getting organic/natural hair dyes because of the area I usually go to get my hair done. Though, I think the last kind I got was the Chi brand?

Probably not much of a help or contribution to the topic... :s
I usually go to a salon and they do it for me there because I do not trust myself with my hair at all. I'll find a person that can do my hair well and I'll stay there for years until the person moves on, or the shop closes, or something of the like.

I typically end up getting organic/natural hair dyes because of the area I usually go to get my hair done. Though, I think the last kind I got was the Chi brand?

Probably not much of a help or contribution to the topic... :s
I've been dying (?) my hair for a couple years now at first I only went with splat because it was available retailers around here but I find that it stains everything it touches including the shower if you let it and it fades fast after you get your really vivid desired results

Right now I have a l'oreal color for some interviews but I'm gonna dye it again before the summer ends. I like Manic Panic quite a bit but I do try stuff I can find at a beauty store. My favorite by far was a fluorescent bleach developing powder that had this pretty lovely light glow in the dark effect after I did a light pink over it.
I've been dying (?) my hair for a couple years now at first I only went with splat because it was available retailers around here but I find that it stains everything it touches including the shower if you let it and it fades fast after you get your really vivid desired results

Right now I have a l'oreal color for some interviews but I'm gonna dye it again before the summer ends. I like Manic Panic quite a bit but I do try stuff I can find at a beauty store. My favorite by far was a fluorescent bleach developing powder that had this pretty lovely light glow in the dark effect after I did a light pink over it.
I've been dying my hair a deep cherry red for 3.5 years. I've just recently dyed it a deep red-purple. :3
I've been dying my hair a deep cherry red for 3.5 years. I've just recently dyed it a deep red-purple. :3
BPpOUJu.png
Hair dye talk? I can do hair dye talk. Observe: [center][img]http://simslife.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Schwarzkopf-Ultra-Brights-156x300.jpg[/img][/center] The packaging of this looks totally photoshopped, right? Right. Well, the day after I left school, I snagged some of this and some cheap bleach out of the cupboard. (My school has some pretty tight rules on hair dye etc. so it was a bit of a "**** you" to the admin there.) I have dirty blonde hair naturally, and the bleach barely worked, it was so cheap. You know what did work, though? This god damn dye. [center][img]http://imgur.com/nkpzQ8O.jpg[/img][/center] That was taken in natural lighting. Natural damn lighting, on pretty much unbleached hair, and it came out THAT BRIGHT. It's been a month now and it's still frankly blinding, although it's a slightly more natural ginger tone by now. In short? 10/10, would recommend if you want to sear the eyes of everyone in a 30 mile radius. The other colours in the range are also similarly good, my mum's had some great results with them.
Hair dye talk? I can do hair dye talk. Observe:
Schwarzkopf-Ultra-Brights-156x300.jpg

The packaging of this looks totally photoshopped, right? Right. Well, the day after I left school, I snagged some of this and some cheap bleach out of the cupboard. (My school has some pretty tight rules on hair dye etc. so it was a bit of a "**** you" to the admin there.) I have dirty blonde hair naturally, and the bleach barely worked, it was so cheap. You know what did work, though? This god damn dye.
nkpzQ8O.jpg

That was taken in natural lighting. Natural damn lighting, on pretty much unbleached hair, and it came out THAT BRIGHT. It's been a month now and it's still frankly blinding, although it's a slightly more natural ginger tone by now.

In short? 10/10, would recommend if you want to sear the eyes of everyone in a 30 mile radius. The other colours in the range are also similarly good, my mum's had some great results with them.
2WbApPz.png
has Brain Slime and sucks at being active
I haven't actually dyed my hair, so much as lightened it.
I tend to go dirty/sandy blonde during the summertime, and I've just decided to speed along the process; i was hesitant to use Lemon juice because I heard (and saw) horror stories of it drying one's hair out into straw.
I've started using it in combination with other natural lightening (and conditioning) agents.
My first round of product was a 1:4 ratio of honey and apple cider vinegar with some cinnamon in there to add a red tinge to the highlighting. This is probably my favourite, since I can sleep with this mixture in, and my hair smells like an apple pie when it's washed out ^u^

I've also found about 5 tea bags steeped for 30 mins in 2 cups of water is good (now i mix in lemon juice in it, speeds the process along).

Ultimately i've mixed and matched various versions of both of these, and i'm happy with how my hair is (slowly but surely) lightening up with some red tinges to it. Plus it smells good and i'm glad i haven't put anything freaky on my scalp that'll fry it. Since I know it's sensitive :S
I haven't actually dyed my hair, so much as lightened it.
I tend to go dirty/sandy blonde during the summertime, and I've just decided to speed along the process; i was hesitant to use Lemon juice because I heard (and saw) horror stories of it drying one's hair out into straw.
I've started using it in combination with other natural lightening (and conditioning) agents.
My first round of product was a 1:4 ratio of honey and apple cider vinegar with some cinnamon in there to add a red tinge to the highlighting. This is probably my favourite, since I can sleep with this mixture in, and my hair smells like an apple pie when it's washed out ^u^

I've also found about 5 tea bags steeped for 30 mins in 2 cups of water is good (now i mix in lemon juice in it, speeds the process along).

Ultimately i've mixed and matched various versions of both of these, and i'm happy with how my hair is (slowly but surely) lightening up with some red tinges to it. Plus it smells good and i'm glad i haven't put anything freaky on my scalp that'll fry it. Since I know it's sensitive :S
I want to dye my hair sooo bad but my dad won't let me :'( Anyway, until I can, does anyone have any suggestions for colors, brands, bleaching/lightening, or other stuff? I would love to hear from you folks with unnatural hair colors :3

(please ping me)
I want to dye my hair sooo bad but my dad won't let me :'( Anyway, until I can, does anyone have any suggestions for colors, brands, bleaching/lightening, or other stuff? I would love to hear from you folks with unnatural hair colors :3

(please ping me)
l
light-61x65.gif
aa ||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||

aaa pr7Tort.png
aaa
eg.png
LF nests!
5000t/5g
aaa
wingL.png
Buy my dragons!
aaa ||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
aa
light-61x65.gif
l
My natural hair color is something like a bit grayish brown. It used to be almost golden brown, but as I got older the color kept darkening. I started to dye my hair blue-ish black when I was about fifteen, and I think I was twenty when I decided to finally have a head of blue hair.
Bleaching process took a while since there were many layers of black and I had the job done in a salon, but I dyed my hair blue myself using Directions' hair dyes. Since then I've had midnight blue, cerulean blue, light blue, purple-ish pink, light pink, deep purple, lavender and violet hair, at the moment the lower half of my bangs and some hair around my face are blue-ish black (I trust in Schwarzkopf) and the rest has faded into something like pastel blue/lavender.

So, I can really recommend Directions. It's quite cheap, color stays rather well, I usually strengthen the color after three weeks (it can be mixed with conditioner and each time you condition your hair you strengthen the color too). The more the hair has been bleached etc the harder the color will stuck, so it's important to make sure you only bleach roots if the hair has been bleached before, otherwise there can be darker and lighter patches all around your head.
Salon is always the best option when it comes to bleaching if you don't have someone willing to help, but at least in my country it's best to do unusual hair color combinations at home yourself, as some of the hairdressers push their own visions on you - one actually said to me that my idea was ridiculous and it wouldn't look good. Should have walked out that moment and not waste my money in there, the result was really disappointing. Also, I myself like my shock colors to actually be shock colors, to some hairdressers shock color = unusual color, and the products they have a really "flat" color result.
I've heard Elumen is a very good (and expensive) dye, but I don't have any first hand experience, so I can't really recommend it.
My natural hair color is something like a bit grayish brown. It used to be almost golden brown, but as I got older the color kept darkening. I started to dye my hair blue-ish black when I was about fifteen, and I think I was twenty when I decided to finally have a head of blue hair.
Bleaching process took a while since there were many layers of black and I had the job done in a salon, but I dyed my hair blue myself using Directions' hair dyes. Since then I've had midnight blue, cerulean blue, light blue, purple-ish pink, light pink, deep purple, lavender and violet hair, at the moment the lower half of my bangs and some hair around my face are blue-ish black (I trust in Schwarzkopf) and the rest has faded into something like pastel blue/lavender.

So, I can really recommend Directions. It's quite cheap, color stays rather well, I usually strengthen the color after three weeks (it can be mixed with conditioner and each time you condition your hair you strengthen the color too). The more the hair has been bleached etc the harder the color will stuck, so it's important to make sure you only bleach roots if the hair has been bleached before, otherwise there can be darker and lighter patches all around your head.
Salon is always the best option when it comes to bleaching if you don't have someone willing to help, but at least in my country it's best to do unusual hair color combinations at home yourself, as some of the hairdressers push their own visions on you - one actually said to me that my idea was ridiculous and it wouldn't look good. Should have walked out that moment and not waste my money in there, the result was really disappointing. Also, I myself like my shock colors to actually be shock colors, to some hairdressers shock color = unusual color, and the products they have a really "flat" color result.
I've heard Elumen is a very good (and expensive) dye, but I don't have any first hand experience, so I can't really recommend it.
But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart
I have dyed my hair twice this year. First I tinted my tips purple so it would gradually change from my naturally dirty blonde hair into the purple, although it fell out pretty quickly. I then bleached my tips and dyed my entire hair purple, but again it faded very fast. My tips are currently some weird green-ish colour, after firstly fading to blue and the purple has washed out completely. :I

First dye I used was L'oréal Paris Feria Mystic Black Intense Dark Violet "extra durable permanent hair dye", faded after 2-3 weeks. Second was something I did when I visited my friend in Germany so I don't have the box to look at the brand for the bleaching but it was some similar brand like that and the purple was from a punk shop, the purple washing out after about 2 weeks. I'm not sure what to do to make the colour stay longer, preferably without damaging my hair too much? :/
I have dyed my hair twice this year. First I tinted my tips purple so it would gradually change from my naturally dirty blonde hair into the purple, although it fell out pretty quickly. I then bleached my tips and dyed my entire hair purple, but again it faded very fast. My tips are currently some weird green-ish colour, after firstly fading to blue and the purple has washed out completely. :I

First dye I used was L'oréal Paris Feria Mystic Black Intense Dark Violet "extra durable permanent hair dye", faded after 2-3 weeks. Second was something I did when I visited my friend in Germany so I don't have the box to look at the brand for the bleaching but it was some similar brand like that and the purple was from a punk shop, the purple washing out after about 2 weeks. I'm not sure what to do to make the colour stay longer, preferably without damaging my hair too much? :/
@Gallelyphen
The ground rule with unusual colors is that the hair should be "softened" first, in other words depending the original color either bleached or otherwise treated, imo the latter being something that is best left to professionals in salons. How long a color lasts in hair depends how much hair has been processed - bleaching and such make hair more porous(?) and the color stucks - and what type of hair one has. Some people have this almost glass-like hair and their dyes fade and wash away fast.

I'd advice to try some other brand if you're going for something more "tame" than honest purple. L'oréal's or Garnier's products have never really worked for me, but Schwarzkopf is another story. But if you want shock color, it really depends on the brand and the shade how long it will last, as (most of) shock colors aren't permanent dyes - also the products you use like shampoo affect the result, some shampoo brands wash the color off really fast.
In my experience the shades with red fade faster than the ones with blue, but in any case dying the hair regularly has to be done in order to make the color last. Good trick is mix some dye into conditioner bottle and each time conditioner is used it's almost like some miniature dyejob.
@Gallelyphen
The ground rule with unusual colors is that the hair should be "softened" first, in other words depending the original color either bleached or otherwise treated, imo the latter being something that is best left to professionals in salons. How long a color lasts in hair depends how much hair has been processed - bleaching and such make hair more porous(?) and the color stucks - and what type of hair one has. Some people have this almost glass-like hair and their dyes fade and wash away fast.

I'd advice to try some other brand if you're going for something more "tame" than honest purple. L'oréal's or Garnier's products have never really worked for me, but Schwarzkopf is another story. But if you want shock color, it really depends on the brand and the shade how long it will last, as (most of) shock colors aren't permanent dyes - also the products you use like shampoo affect the result, some shampoo brands wash the color off really fast.
In my experience the shades with red fade faster than the ones with blue, but in any case dying the hair regularly has to be done in order to make the color last. Good trick is mix some dye into conditioner bottle and each time conditioner is used it's almost like some miniature dyejob.
But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart
My close friend recently re-dyed her tips blue and it looks fabulous. I've been meaning to do the same thing.. but I don't really want to mess with my hair.
I have no means to take care of my hair to be honest, lol. The only reason why I have been taking care of it is because my mom would get mad otherwise.
My close friend recently re-dyed her tips blue and it looks fabulous. I've been meaning to do the same thing.. but I don't really want to mess with my hair.
I have no means to take care of my hair to be honest, lol. The only reason why I have been taking care of it is because my mom would get mad otherwise.
eG6Zatg.png
1 2 3 4 5