Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Tweet! Tweet!
1 2
Oh gosh I want a lovebird so bad. ;; They're my favorite by far. What do you think of lovebirds? Are they hard/easy to train?
Oh gosh I want a lovebird so bad. ;; They're my favorite by far. What do you think of lovebirds? Are they hard/easy to train?
48vur6d.png
@Zei
Lovebirds are amazing little guys.
When handfed they are pretty bold and can be extremely sweet, but even a parent-raised bird can come to like people. Find a good breeder or fairly tame rescue and you may find your best friend. <3

Peanut is super-tame and very cuddly. Lovebirds are generally said to be nippy but learn their body language, likes and dislikes, and it becomes much easier to deal with. I haven&#039;t been bitten since February when I stupidly reached for Peanut&#039;s food while she was near by. Female lovebirds are more territorial than males and will guard toys, food, and their cage more readily. It isn&#039;t personal, just natural.

Green Cheeks are known to be nippy too, honestly they sort of remind me of lovebirds, only a bit bigger.

As for actual training... it&#039;s a bit like teaching a cat with ADHD. She has her own ideas about what she should be doing and they usually aren&#039;t my ideas of what she should be doing. I&#039;ve never taught her actual tricks but people can and do, I&#039;ve seen amazing videos on youtube of just normal people who taught their lovebirds all kinds of cute things. I&#039;d say she&#039;s about as smart as my average dog, Bear.
Sneezing directly into my eye and throwing my wallet and car keys in the trash are not tricks however. >_>;
@Zei
Lovebirds are amazing little guys.
When handfed they are pretty bold and can be extremely sweet, but even a parent-raised bird can come to like people. Find a good breeder or fairly tame rescue and you may find your best friend. <3

Peanut is super-tame and very cuddly. Lovebirds are generally said to be nippy but learn their body language, likes and dislikes, and it becomes much easier to deal with. I haven&#039;t been bitten since February when I stupidly reached for Peanut&#039;s food while she was near by. Female lovebirds are more territorial than males and will guard toys, food, and their cage more readily. It isn&#039;t personal, just natural.

Green Cheeks are known to be nippy too, honestly they sort of remind me of lovebirds, only a bit bigger.

As for actual training... it&#039;s a bit like teaching a cat with ADHD. She has her own ideas about what she should be doing and they usually aren&#039;t my ideas of what she should be doing. I&#039;ve never taught her actual tricks but people can and do, I&#039;ve seen amazing videos on youtube of just normal people who taught their lovebirds all kinds of cute things. I&#039;d say she&#039;s about as smart as my average dog, Bear.
Sneezing directly into my eye and throwing my wallet and car keys in the trash are not tricks however. >_>;
1 2