Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | the genus is even called "draco"
With all the, uh, current [i]discussion[/i] about ancient body plans, one of the questions that keeps coming up is "if no wings, where secondary?" Anyway, last night the Tidelord gave me a vision: a gliding ancient with membranes between its legs. Was going to describe them as "sugar glider dragons", but as I was typing this post I remembered that there were at least some gliding lizards out there, and [url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draco_(lizard)]one Google search later[/url]... I mean, look at these guys: [img]https://images.newscientist.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/01122015/draco-dussumieri-gliding2.jpg[/img] (Okay further Googling says they're grabbing their flaps with their hands, but the membranes aren't actually attached to their arms. So maybe "sugar glider dragon" would be more accurate to my vision here) (Point is: flappy Wind ancient)
With all the, uh, current discussion about ancient body plans, one of the questions that keeps coming up is "if no wings, where secondary?"

Anyway, last night the Tidelord gave me a vision: a gliding ancient with membranes between its legs. Was going to describe them as "sugar glider dragons", but as I was typing this post I remembered that there were at least some gliding lizards out there, and one Google search later...

I mean, look at these guys:
draco-dussumieri-gliding2.jpg

(Okay further Googling says they're grabbing their flaps with their hands, but the membranes aren't actually attached to their arms. So maybe "sugar glider dragon" would be more accurate to my vision here)

(Point is: flappy Wind ancient)
Noodledad's wayward child on a whirlwind tour of Sornieth
uQA55c0.pngkYCXHUE.pngqC4cJJE.pngDTB2XDj.png
I really like this idea of the wind ancient being shaped like a glider or kite, would fit the flight's theme super well. Interesting irony being it can only glide instead of fly, relying on winds from Twisting Crescendo to get about.

Alternatively, a dragon design based something between a seabird + sailplane would be just as cool.
I really like this idea of the wind ancient being shaped like a glider or kite, would fit the flight's theme super well. Interesting irony being it can only glide instead of fly, relying on winds from Twisting Crescendo to get about.

Alternatively, a dragon design based something between a seabird + sailplane would be just as cool.