Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Why is the suggestions forum so toxic?
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
[quote name="Beastface" date="2022-05-08 22:55:03" ] I feel like the suggestion forums aren't any more 'toxic' than FRD, tbh. FRD also has its fair share of volatile conversations and people jumping at posts they deem cringy/silly/etc. The tone is different - FRD communication style is shorter and more jokey, whereas in suggestions the posts tend to be longer and more serious. The exact same unkind behaviors happen at both places, tho. [/quote] Well, this can be true *sometimes* but…this place isn’t as nearly as “no. bad. go away bad suggestion already posted.” in terms of tone. This place can get really bad, but that’s usually one post like…weekly? The suggestions forum doesn’t have just a weekly argument. It has multiple arguments constantly getting added onto. I get it, it’s a place where people need to make their voices heard, but people could be a bit nicer while doing that :/
Beastface wrote on 2022-05-08 22:55:03:
I feel like the suggestion forums aren't any more 'toxic' than FRD, tbh. FRD also has its fair share of volatile conversations and people jumping at posts they deem cringy/silly/etc. The tone is different - FRD communication style is shorter and more jokey, whereas in suggestions the posts tend to be longer and more serious. The exact same unkind behaviors happen at both places, tho.
Well, this can be true *sometimes* but…this place isn’t as nearly as “no. bad. go away bad suggestion already posted.” in terms of tone. This place can get really bad, but that’s usually one post like…weekly? The suggestions forum doesn’t have just a weekly argument. It has multiple arguments constantly getting added onto. I get it, it’s a place where people need to make their voices heard, but people could be a bit nicer while doing that :/
aC86tUH.png mlHpBMC.png
w3eXdQQ.png
wAfJ7Bn.png4Gh3xRo.png
0XHtpWy.pngz3FSuck.png
I think it’s so-so. I’ve def seen toxic users there that celebrated and mocked others when the eye vials were introduced last year, but beyond that I haven’t seen it get to that level since.

I know suggestions is super blunt though, so I generally just avoid the forum all together as I have trouble reading what I perceive to be harsher tones at times.
I think it’s so-so. I’ve def seen toxic users there that celebrated and mocked others when the eye vials were introduced last year, but beyond that I haven’t seen it get to that level since.

I know suggestions is super blunt though, so I generally just avoid the forum all together as I have trouble reading what I perceive to be harsher tones at times.
Msp9L6c.gif|| Cheshire
she/her
hobbiest writer
enjoyer of many things
wishlist/info
[quote name="mistywolf96" date="2022-05-09 01:28:29" ] [quote name="Beastface" date="2022-05-08 22:55:03" ] I feel like the suggestion forums aren't any more 'toxic' than FRD, tbh. FRD also has its fair share of volatile conversations and people jumping at posts they deem cringy/silly/etc. The tone is different - FRD communication style is shorter and more jokey, whereas in suggestions the posts tend to be longer and more serious. The exact same unkind behaviors happen at both places, tho. [/quote] Well, this can be true *sometimes* but…this place isn’t as nearly as “no. bad. go away bad suggestion already posted.” in terms of tone. This place can get really bad, but that’s usually one post like…weekly? The suggestions forum doesn’t have just a weekly argument. It has multiple arguments constantly getting added onto. I get it, it’s a place where people need to make their voices heard, but people could be a bit nicer while doing that :/ [/quote] Yep, I do agree that in suggestions the overall atmosphere is harsher due to the nature of the board. I meant more along the lines that when people have disagreements on the forums, I feel like the behavior that happens on suggestions is pretty much on par with the behavior that happens in FRD when those disagreements arise. Suggestions, of course, unfortunately happens to be a place where a lot of the conversations revolve around discussing disagreements. (Edited for clarity.)
mistywolf96 wrote on 2022-05-09 01:28:29:
Beastface wrote on 2022-05-08 22:55:03:
I feel like the suggestion forums aren't any more 'toxic' than FRD, tbh. FRD also has its fair share of volatile conversations and people jumping at posts they deem cringy/silly/etc. The tone is different - FRD communication style is shorter and more jokey, whereas in suggestions the posts tend to be longer and more serious. The exact same unkind behaviors happen at both places, tho.
Well, this can be true *sometimes* but…this place isn’t as nearly as “no. bad. go away bad suggestion already posted.” in terms of tone. This place can get really bad, but that’s usually one post like…weekly? The suggestions forum doesn’t have just a weekly argument. It has multiple arguments constantly getting added onto. I get it, it’s a place where people need to make their voices heard, but people could be a bit nicer while doing that :/
Yep, I do agree that in suggestions the overall atmosphere is harsher due to the nature of the board. I meant more along the lines that when people have disagreements on the forums, I feel like the behavior that happens on suggestions is pretty much on par with the behavior that happens in FRD when those disagreements arise. Suggestions, of course, unfortunately happens to be a place where a lot of the conversations revolve around discussing disagreements.

(Edited for clarity.)
if you go to the suggestion board, suggest a bond all option for familiars or the ability to bond with familiars in hibden, everyone on the board will curbstomp you and act like you killed their mother or something. really funny people i think. i hope they never change so i can at least tell myself ive never stooped down to their level
if you go to the suggestion board, suggest a bond all option for familiars or the ability to bond with familiars in hibden, everyone on the board will curbstomp you and act like you killed their mother or something. really funny people i think. i hope they never change so i can at least tell myself ive never stooped down to their level
>aleph
>it/its
>+3 frt
>alterhuman
>rivethead
>delete system32
Hnet-com-image.png
There is certainly an unpleasant 'vibe' in a LOT of the suggestions forums threads - it really feels like a selected group of users goes in every thread with topics suggested before with the mentality of putting down and dogpiling OP :/ I agree that the recent 'Bond all familiars' thread is a good example of this.

Obviously not everyone who participates and disagrees is malicious (and sometimes the thread OPs are unnecessarily hostile or defensive themselves!) but it'd be nice if people took the time to double-check their posts and kept in mind that they're NOT required to respond to every repeat suggestion they see - at the very least not with the amount of bitterness some users seem to bring.
There is certainly an unpleasant 'vibe' in a LOT of the suggestions forums threads - it really feels like a selected group of users goes in every thread with topics suggested before with the mentality of putting down and dogpiling OP :/ I agree that the recent 'Bond all familiars' thread is a good example of this.

Obviously not everyone who participates and disagrees is malicious (and sometimes the thread OPs are unnecessarily hostile or defensive themselves!) but it'd be nice if people took the time to double-check their posts and kept in mind that they're NOT required to respond to every repeat suggestion they see - at the very least not with the amount of bitterness some users seem to bring.
FoJSh5v.gif Fal
FR time +10
B0SOpoT.png
It's not just new players. Old players get attacked also. Sorry. There is always a way to word criticism in a way where it's not rude or just flat. There are is going to be many that want to give an idea but don't because of how dry and harsh sounding users are in suggestions. I haven't been back there in awhile cause I am just tired.
It's not just new players. Old players get attacked also. Sorry. There is always a way to word criticism in a way where it's not rude or just flat. There are is going to be many that want to give an idea but don't because of how dry and harsh sounding users are in suggestions. I haven't been back there in awhile cause I am just tired.
FObX7rS.png
89Dad3a.png
ld1Fjwz.png
If people have been told that their blunt posting style is seriously off-putting for years and they're still being told that by oodles of users, then yeah we can call that toxic.

I will say the answer is mostly down to not enough moderation. Some people have spent years ratioing newbies for repeat suggestions and should be gently or not-so-gently moved on from their habit.

And sure, many of the individual posts aren't individually a problem, but at some point we have to acknowledge that the pattern is set and known. The same gang will come in and post their 30 essays and bicker back and forth with their same opposers over the same points. Take a break from it lol, block each other, or yeah I come back to saying the staff should moderate more.
If people have been told that their blunt posting style is seriously off-putting for years and they're still being told that by oodles of users, then yeah we can call that toxic.

I will say the answer is mostly down to not enough moderation. Some people have spent years ratioing newbies for repeat suggestions and should be gently or not-so-gently moved on from their habit.

And sure, many of the individual posts aren't individually a problem, but at some point we have to acknowledge that the pattern is set and known. The same gang will come in and post their 30 essays and bicker back and forth with their same opposers over the same points. Take a break from it lol, block each other, or yeah I come back to saying the staff should moderate more.
I agree with what others have said earlier, that Suggestions is no more "toxic" than FRD.
It just has a different atmosphere due to its function: It's the place for serious discussion of our ideas to improve the game. It relies on debate - a back and forth of reasoning, perspective, and a touch of opinion.

Such a place might not be not suitable for those who cannot handle debate, criticism or their ideas being rejected. Tempers can go out of control and the topic is derailed with poor behaviour. (Though, this kind of thing is not exclusive to Suggestions.)

Buuut these situations don't reflect the general attitude of the board, from my experience as a regular Suggestions forum lurker.
Mot of the time, as others have mentioned here, it's the OP who I've seen being hostile. Acting overly defensively or attacking others for disagreeing with them... then declaring the Suggestions forum a horrible cesspool before rage quitting the topic/board...

Perpetuating the idea of Suggestions being this terrible PVP Warzone is only going to worsen the tone, and going in with the preconceived notion that everyone is out to get you is only going to colour your experience with that shade of paint. Your very own self-fulfilling prophecy.

If someone is outright harassing you on any forum, you should report it to a moderator!

Any idea that is brought forward, if implemented, has the potential to greatly impact the game in ways the OP might not have imagined.
A thread full of reasoning why the idea won't work is just a natural reflection of the board's purpose to consider and discuss the viability of ideas. As long as it's staying respectful, it's not a bad thing that topics end up with long discussions on why the idea isn't supported!
Players want what they believe is best for the game, and they want to speak up if an idea is particularly helpful or hindering for their playstyle!
This exchange only adds to the developers' understanding of what us players want or don't want out of the game. The Suggestions discussions aren't make or break for any idea, but they are an excellent source of feedback.

Sometimes an idea just doesn't work, but that's ok! It's still worth discussing. You never know what alternatives can come out of the topic.
I agree with what others have said earlier, that Suggestions is no more "toxic" than FRD.
It just has a different atmosphere due to its function: It's the place for serious discussion of our ideas to improve the game. It relies on debate - a back and forth of reasoning, perspective, and a touch of opinion.

Such a place might not be not suitable for those who cannot handle debate, criticism or their ideas being rejected. Tempers can go out of control and the topic is derailed with poor behaviour. (Though, this kind of thing is not exclusive to Suggestions.)

Buuut these situations don't reflect the general attitude of the board, from my experience as a regular Suggestions forum lurker.
Mot of the time, as others have mentioned here, it's the OP who I've seen being hostile. Acting overly defensively or attacking others for disagreeing with them... then declaring the Suggestions forum a horrible cesspool before rage quitting the topic/board...

Perpetuating the idea of Suggestions being this terrible PVP Warzone is only going to worsen the tone, and going in with the preconceived notion that everyone is out to get you is only going to colour your experience with that shade of paint. Your very own self-fulfilling prophecy.

If someone is outright harassing you on any forum, you should report it to a moderator!

Any idea that is brought forward, if implemented, has the potential to greatly impact the game in ways the OP might not have imagined.
A thread full of reasoning why the idea won't work is just a natural reflection of the board's purpose to consider and discuss the viability of ideas. As long as it's staying respectful, it's not a bad thing that topics end up with long discussions on why the idea isn't supported!
Players want what they believe is best for the game, and they want to speak up if an idea is particularly helpful or hindering for their playstyle!
This exchange only adds to the developers' understanding of what us players want or don't want out of the game. The Suggestions discussions aren't make or break for any idea, but they are an excellent source of feedback.

Sometimes an idea just doesn't work, but that's ok! It's still worth discussing. You never know what alternatives can come out of the topic.
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
This has always been a big rumor of me to hear but I've yet to face the wrath of toxcicity of suggestions which..I think I prob ended uo avoiding with more better suggestions like suggesting a water ancient dragon that is more crocodilian and doesnt have wings..Others were suggesting the same idea but for nature unfortantely but I didn't really say anything to those people cuz I mean..maybe they made their post first and I just thought of a different element? its been a few months since I have been in the suggestions forum and I havent really seen much? or maybe thats my sheer luck.
This has always been a big rumor of me to hear but I've yet to face the wrath of toxcicity of suggestions which..I think I prob ended uo avoiding with more better suggestions like suggesting a water ancient dragon that is more crocodilian and doesnt have wings..Others were suggesting the same idea but for nature unfortantely but I didn't really say anything to those people cuz I mean..maybe they made their post first and I just thought of a different element? its been a few months since I have been in the suggestions forum and I havent really seen much? or maybe thats my sheer luck.
s0SlLkc.png
Last time I thought I had a good idea, everyone took it as a personal insult and dogpiled me. I had to turn off pings for my account because for some reason it wouldn't let me delete the thread. They COMPLETELY misunderstood what I was suggesting and were being extremely rude, assuming I'm just some entitled jerk based on their *misunderstanding*. No matter how many times I tried to explain that was NOT WHAT I WAS SUGGESTING, they refused to understand.

Never again.

People on the internet really forget that there are human beings posting these things. I only go to suggestions to support stuff, or CIVILLY state why I don't support something, and to remind others that being kind costs NOTHING. I think if a game works you up so badly that you abuse someone for posing a hypothetical idea, you should take a break.

You don't need to be blunt and curt when you disagree with people, either. You can be completely friendly. It's far less off-putting when people aren't talking to you like you're a misbehaving child.
Last time I thought I had a good idea, everyone took it as a personal insult and dogpiled me. I had to turn off pings for my account because for some reason it wouldn't let me delete the thread. They COMPLETELY misunderstood what I was suggesting and were being extremely rude, assuming I'm just some entitled jerk based on their *misunderstanding*. No matter how many times I tried to explain that was NOT WHAT I WAS SUGGESTING, they refused to understand.

Never again.

People on the internet really forget that there are human beings posting these things. I only go to suggestions to support stuff, or CIVILLY state why I don't support something, and to remind others that being kind costs NOTHING. I think if a game works you up so badly that you abuse someone for posing a hypothetical idea, you should take a break.

You don't need to be blunt and curt when you disagree with people, either. You can be completely friendly. It's far less off-putting when people aren't talking to you like you're a misbehaving child.
nZzzLxJ.png Horror aesthetic/lore lair
Weird goblin hermit
She/Her
.......................... Massive Horror fan
Gamer
Writer
zwGyDvx.png
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12