Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Are they gargoyles?
1 2
My two cents..

They is gargoyles.
My two cents..

They is gargoyles.
yes
yes
193.png
194.png
5198.png
Aren't gargoyles just ornamental waterspouts on buildings?
Except in that Disney animation.
[quote name="Univelka" date="2021-06-15 14:41:16" ] Aren't gargoyles just ornamental waterspouts on buildings? Except in that Disney animation. [/quote] They are, but there's a lot of folklore around them, too. They're said to be demons or spirits protecting their buildings. There's probably a lot of local variations surrounding them. We don't have church gargoyles exactly where I live, but anything that gets put on churches tend to get associated with some local folklore stuff eventually, either by connecting to older pre-existing lore, people making new stuff up, or just straight up being an intentional continuation of pagan stuff continuing through the (at the time) more acceptable Christian framework.
Univelka wrote on 2021-06-15 14:41:16:
They are, but there's a lot of folklore around them, too. They're said to be demons or spirits protecting their buildings. There's probably a lot of local variations surrounding them. We don't have church gargoyles exactly where I live, but anything that gets put on churches tend to get associated with some local folklore stuff eventually, either by connecting to older pre-existing lore, people making new stuff up, or just straight up being an intentional continuation of pagan stuff continuing through the (at the time) more acceptable Christian framework.
@Lindsnake

TIL, thanks!
@Lindsnake

TIL, thanks!
I came to this same conclusion last night, and it blew my mind because it made so much sense. In the new lore, they’re protectors, aren’t they? And they WERE statues at one point. And they LOOK LIKE GARGOYLES. Their name, too! ‘Obelisk’ sounds similar to a gargoyle if you ask me.
I came to this same conclusion last night, and it blew my mind because it made so much sense. In the new lore, they’re protectors, aren’t they? And they WERE statues at one point. And they LOOK LIKE GARGOYLES. Their name, too! ‘Obelisk’ sounds similar to a gargoyle if you ask me.
Here's your answer: [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/70128047][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/701281/70128047_350.png[/img][/url] Yes.
Here's your answer:
70128047_350.png
Yes.
LEpJMnn.pngCpFdYgG.pngoaolHwW.pngmjtJ868.pngcZOnhJ9.pngq9EEy5M.png
Yes I do in fact like dinosuars.
FObX7rS.pngDXTcInl.pngoouioVf.png5hF3FGk.pngWQA384m.pngYMPbu9R.png
Don't forget, if they don't have a waterspout, they're known as grotesques!
we_rode_on_the_winds_of_the_rising_storm_by_c_yang-d68stu4.giftumblr_mobg0cyIZE1sula9po1_400.gifwe_rode_on_the_winds_of_the_rising_storm_by_c_yang-d68stu4.gif
wheeeeee
[quote name="Sallin" date="2021-06-21 12:56:10" ] Don't forget, if they don't have a waterspout, they're known as grotesques! [/quote] I'm pretty sure every vertebrate on earth, and presumably Sornieth as well, has a waterspout.
Sallin wrote on 2021-06-21 12:56:10:

I'm pretty sure every vertebrate on earth, and presumably Sornieth as well, has a waterspout.
giphy.gif
BanescaleSig.png
giphy.gif
yes
yes
plagueanim1.gif
FR+9 | cQS6PnX.png | german
FObX7rS.png
- No voice to cry suffering. -
No random friend requests
_______
__