Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Process of naming dragons
1 2 3 4
If it's a dragon I'm keeping, then I take words that relate to said dragon and see what they sound/look like in Latin. Then I mix and match 'em up.

If it's fodder, I kinda just word fart on them with words that kinda make sense because they look like such and such.
If it's a dragon I'm keeping, then I take words that relate to said dragon and see what they sound/look like in Latin. Then I mix and match 'em up.

If it's fodder, I kinda just word fart on them with words that kinda make sense because they look like such and such.
d00165ea3be20b3a332165f1cb02d923a7868fe5.png
i name all my dragons after bands and songs. i usually go with the song or band that gives me the same feel as the dragon's aesthetic, or the same synesthesia colors. or rarely, if they match album art!
i name all my dragons after bands and songs. i usually go with the song or band that gives me the same feel as the dragon's aesthetic, or the same synesthesia colors. or rarely, if they match album art!
tumblr_nre81rYTi11unlpe2o1_100.png
Twitter
24 | they/them
LmPbhqi.png
i’m really picky about names. if it’s fodder, i’ll randomize unless they seem to have a naming scheme with the kids, in which case i’ll pick something up that alley. if i’m planning on keeping the dragon (at least for a while), i look into a few names for something with the right vibe. i don’t name them until i’ve picked one for sure, which means i take a while to name them.
i’m really picky about names. if it’s fodder, i’ll randomize unless they seem to have a naming scheme with the kids, in which case i’ll pick something up that alley. if i’m planning on keeping the dragon (at least for a while), i look into a few names for something with the right vibe. i don’t name them until i’ve picked one for sure, which means i take a while to name them.
I've started using a naming system based on the month. For June, I'm going through a flower bulb catalog I have and naming fodder dragons after plant family names. July, I'm going to move on to opera characters or prehistoric mammals or something.

Permanent dragons get a system name if it works, otherwise I'm more selective with naming.
I've started using a naming system based on the month. For June, I'm going through a flower bulb catalog I have and naming fodder dragons after plant family names. July, I'm going to move on to opera characters or prehistoric mammals or something.

Permanent dragons get a system name if it works, otherwise I'm more selective with naming.
tumblr_inline_ny7iufldYa1qmzhvw_540.png
I am very picky. It took me 2 days to find a name for my progen dragons before I could finish creating my account. It took me even longer to give names to the dragons on page 2 of my lair. (Minus Alexandrite because she was a gift and already named.) For exalt fodder: I now use the name randomizer. (Before this option I used fantasy name generator to copy pasta). [emoji=coatl tongue size=1] Dragons bought from AH with a name: I leave it unless it bothers me. Then I use a renaming scroll on them. Dragons bought from AH without a name: I leave it alone. I like Unnamed dragons the most. [emoji=new friend size=1]
I am very picky.
It took me 2 days to find a name for my progen dragons before I could finish creating my account. It took me even longer to give names to the dragons on page 2 of my lair. (Minus Alexandrite because she was a gift and already named.)

For exalt fodder:
I now use the name randomizer. (Before this option I used fantasy name generator to copy pasta).

Dragons bought from AH with a name:
I leave it unless it bothers me. Then I use a renaming scroll on them.

Dragons bought from AH without a name:
I leave it alone. I like Unnamed dragons the most.
- - - - - wind-badge-2023 - -
-

Dragons for sale
-· buy a nugget?

-
-- plague-badge-2024-plague-badge-2024
While naming dragons, I often go after the first word that pops into my mind when I look at them. I carefully name all dragons that enter my lair, including fodder.

ex: umbra, my naomi descendant
when i looked at him i thought "shade-touched," so i went with the word "shade," looked up synonyms, and chose the name Umbra, latin for shade
While naming dragons, I often go after the first word that pops into my mind when I look at them. I carefully name all dragons that enter my lair, including fodder.

ex: umbra, my naomi descendant
when i looked at him i thought "shade-touched," so i went with the word "shade," looked up synonyms, and chose the name Umbra, latin for shade
sLLHsT5.png s6VThCi.png
|| he/him ||| FR+3 ||
YQ9zE2d.gif
xUhfJLj.gif
week-4-100.png
if I care enough about you, and the previous name is out of place, i'll change it up by chucking some words into google translate and fiddling about, or in the case of fandom inspired dergs, taking their names and messing around with them

if your name suits you, congratulations! you get to stay you.

if I don't care about you too much, you stay unnamed, until you grow on me, or you get coli trained to be exalted.

if I care enough about you, and the previous name is out of place, i'll change it up by chucking some words into google translate and fiddling about, or in the case of fandom inspired dergs, taking their names and messing around with them

if your name suits you, congratulations! you get to stay you.

if I don't care about you too much, you stay unnamed, until you grow on me, or you get coli trained to be exalted.

One of three things:
1. Randomizer (fodder, usually)
2. A name that means something and has to do with their personality/lore (like "Cecil" means "blind")
3. First thing I think of that suits them
One of three things:
1. Randomizer (fodder, usually)
2. A name that means something and has to do with their personality/lore (like "Cecil" means "blind")
3. First thing I think of that suits them
e6rKuT7.png
zephyrus · he/they · frt + 0

im autistic, so my tone come off as
more aggressive than i mean to be ^^;
Depends. If they already have a name, I just keep that. For permas, I usually just stick a word related to them into Google Translate and keep doing so until I get one I like. For fodder, I just randomize it.
Depends. If they already have a name, I just keep that. For permas, I usually just stick a word related to them into Google Translate and keep doing so until I get one I like. For fodder, I just randomize it.
mapleshaiku_siggy.png
I use the Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names and pick the ones I like. Sometimes I simplify the spellings. It has LOTS of names; I'm still on "A" and I've been doing this for more than a year.

http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/tgn/index.html

ETA: When I buy adult dragons to level & exalt or re-sell, I usually give them names from their flight, genes, and/or colors.
I use the Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names and pick the ones I like. Sometimes I simplify the spellings. It has LOTS of names; I'm still on "A" and I've been doing this for more than a year.

http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/tgn/index.html

ETA: When I buy adult dragons to level & exalt or re-sell, I usually give them names from their flight, genes, and/or colors.
1 2 3 4