Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | How does magic work in your lore?
1 2 3 4
I’d like to believe that dragons are born with some elemental magic, however a lot of it is learned and has to be practiced fairly often. some dragons may be able to learn a second element with enough time and practice, however it is very rare, one of my dragons is ice element but has some fire abilities, for instance, but another one has been ‘blessed’ to have simple magic from every element, however it may be easier for him to control it because he’s initially from arcane. I think it would be possible to overuse magic, but usually it doesn’t cause any long term affects
I’d like to believe that dragons are born with some elemental magic, however a lot of it is learned and has to be practiced fairly often. some dragons may be able to learn a second element with enough time and practice, however it is very rare, one of my dragons is ice element but has some fire abilities, for instance, but another one has been ‘blessed’ to have simple magic from every element, however it may be easier for him to control it because he’s initially from arcane. I think it would be possible to overuse magic, but usually it doesn’t cause any long term affects
unknown.png
My lore sees dragons as mostly non-magical (except for the magic needed to survive but that's not really in my lore tbh)
however, there's also a bunch of dragons that just Happen to have more magical talent and they can start practising it to become better. Flights mostly say what element is the easiest to master, while they could learn other elements.

There are magic types (schools) other than just elemental (evocation), they're just not as common.
Magic can be overused, it starts taking a toll on your physical or mental health, depending on used magic.
My lore sees dragons as mostly non-magical (except for the magic needed to survive but that's not really in my lore tbh)
however, there's also a bunch of dragons that just Happen to have more magical talent and they can start practising it to become better. Flights mostly say what element is the easiest to master, while they could learn other elements.

There are magic types (schools) other than just elemental (evocation), they're just not as common.
Magic can be overused, it starts taking a toll on your physical or mental health, depending on used magic.
KMXUsR7.png
Kari | they/them
Wow these are all super great answers! So, I think i'll share some of my magical lore.
All dragons have at least some natural magic, but the closer their birth is too a source of concentrated magic, the more powerful they are. For instance my plague representative hatched after her egg fell into the wyrmwound. Most dragon's magic manifests in the most simple way possible, breath attacks, however an individual with magical training/practice could develop and specialize their magic. For another example, Nyx's magic takes the form of chains made of shadow. These chains can be manipulated in many ways but there is something they are best at; binding spells. Ambient magic is usually dependent on region, but all air in sornieth gives off ambient wind magic, which is what allows dragons to normally fly. No wind magic means it is more difficult and strenuous to fly, not impossible, but much harder. Most elemental magic can only be learned by a dragon of that flight, but similar effects can be produced by arcane magic, which anyone can use. Zones of wild magic and dead magic zones also exist, and are usually found where runic circles were used to channel a huge spell, such as binding an emperor. Wild magic zones cause spells to mutate wildly and are incredibly common in the starfall isles, and get more common the closer you get to the observatory. Dead magic zones are kind of aerial land mines, since a floating island is usually the safest place for a huge spell. these dead magic zones are most often found in the sunbeam ruins and dragonhome.
Wow these are all super great answers! So, I think i'll share some of my magical lore.
All dragons have at least some natural magic, but the closer their birth is too a source of concentrated magic, the more powerful they are. For instance my plague representative hatched after her egg fell into the wyrmwound. Most dragon's magic manifests in the most simple way possible, breath attacks, however an individual with magical training/practice could develop and specialize their magic. For another example, Nyx's magic takes the form of chains made of shadow. These chains can be manipulated in many ways but there is something they are best at; binding spells. Ambient magic is usually dependent on region, but all air in sornieth gives off ambient wind magic, which is what allows dragons to normally fly. No wind magic means it is more difficult and strenuous to fly, not impossible, but much harder. Most elemental magic can only be learned by a dragon of that flight, but similar effects can be produced by arcane magic, which anyone can use. Zones of wild magic and dead magic zones also exist, and are usually found where runic circles were used to channel a huge spell, such as binding an emperor. Wild magic zones cause spells to mutate wildly and are incredibly common in the starfall isles, and get more common the closer you get to the observatory. Dead magic zones are kind of aerial land mines, since a floating island is usually the safest place for a huge spell. these dead magic zones are most often found in the sunbeam ruins and dragonhome.
wKyST5C.gif gkGf4qe.png
HBibveN.png
@Gula I already have [LIST=1] [*]Necromancy [*]Blood Magic (Hemomancy) [*]Dragon Transmutation through Alchemy (comes under Hemomancy) [*]Demon Summoning (Dentomancy (I'm going to include a joke about how it means 'Teeth magic')) [*]Vamparism (comes under Necromancy) [*]Subjugation (comes under Neuromancy) [*]Torture (Algomancy) [/LIST] But not Shade, thank you for the suggestion! I'll make up some shade magic. Excuse me while I google what the fear of darkness is. .... Okay it's called Nyctomancy now, and it's going to also be a cult. That means I've got all of them now! I'll give credit to you for Nyctomancy. Necromancy- dead magic Hemomancy-blood magic Nuromancy- spoopy illusions Celestimancy-disrupting the solar system Dentomancy- monsters Skatharomancy- bugs, parent school of Archnomancy Ophiomancy- sneks Algomancy- pain and torture Xenomancy- manipulation of beastclans Ataxomancy- Think Discord's magic Chronomancy- Time manipulation Lilapsomancy- conjuring highly destructive weather patterns Nyctomancy- the shade I've also got a fourteenth, Lockiomancy, but I'm not going to include that because I'll definitely get banned. But you can summarise it with [img]https://i.imgur.com/Nf3n4ut.png[/img]
@Gula

I already have
  1. Necromancy
  2. Blood Magic (Hemomancy)
  3. Dragon Transmutation through Alchemy (comes under Hemomancy)
  4. Demon Summoning (Dentomancy (I'm going to include a joke about how it means 'Teeth magic'))
  5. Vamparism (comes under Necromancy)
  6. Subjugation (comes under Neuromancy)
  7. Torture (Algomancy)

But not Shade, thank you for the suggestion! I'll make up some shade magic. Excuse me while I google what the fear of darkness is.

Okay it's called Nyctomancy now, and it's going to also be a cult. That means I've got all of them now! I'll give credit to you for Nyctomancy.

Necromancy- dead magic
Hemomancy-blood magic
Nuromancy- spoopy illusions
Celestimancy-disrupting the solar system
Dentomancy- monsters
Skatharomancy- bugs, parent school of Archnomancy
Ophiomancy- sneks
Algomancy- pain and torture
Xenomancy- manipulation of beastclans
Ataxomancy- Think Discord's magic
Chronomancy- Time manipulation
Lilapsomancy- conjuring highly destructive weather patterns
Nyctomancy- the shade

I've also got a fourteenth, Lockiomancy, but I'm not going to include that because I'll definitely get banned. But you can summarise it with Nf3n4ut.png
Dinoclaire101.png
@Dinoclaire101

Well, there we go then! Time manipulation is a good one! As for vampirism, I meant more like a parasite! Taking the magic of others to power yourself, ya know? Like magical cannibalism!

Lockiomancy? I dont get it, but that might be for the best.
@Dinoclaire101

Well, there we go then! Time manipulation is a good one! As for vampirism, I meant more like a parasite! Taking the magic of others to power yourself, ya know? Like magical cannibalism!

Lockiomancy? I dont get it, but that might be for the best.
Gula.gif
At first i was planning, like, something cool

but now magic is basically just magic and it has it's own personality which is why mages are often so quirky: using magic 'gives' you similar personality to magic you're using, and it varies depending on what you use(for example water mages are often calm while wind mages act like they drank 200 cups of coffee and haven't slept for weeks), and if someone's personality clashes with magic's too much, they are unable to properly use it(reason why my arcane skydancer fighter can't do magic: arcane magic has carefree, happy personality, while she is stoic, stone-faced and calculating.. if she just had been ice dragon she would have been extremely powerful mage)

Basic personalities are as follows:
Earth: Strong yet warm and friendly, always ready to help, defensive over even simple things
Water: calm, peaceful and patient, always waiting the right moment, often overly passive
Wind: 24/7 action, energetic, artistic, creative but not willing to take a break, always seeking inspiration
Fire: Passionate, dedicated, finicky and fiery(obviously), requires perfect control of self, hard but rewarding
Lightning: Duty before all else, Working for greater good, But also selfishness, likes playing with others and 'being the topdog'
Ice: cold, strong, stoic, usually lacks any compassion to anything but what it has it defends till he end
Light: Soft and valiant, Virtues over reality, seek to become better person, fight the 'evil', stubborn but curious
Shadow: Trickery and mischief, usually is not honest with everything. Shady but has heart of gold, belief of own heart and judgement
Nature: Caring, soft, yet not willing to do compromises, hates unfair and 'dirty' fights, often dislikes physical prowess
Plague: Strong, resistant yet kinda manipulative, likes challenge and hates 'taking it easy', often prefers physical strength as well
Arcane: happy, carefree, bit crazy and stubborn, often curious about things most consider bit messed up

These all vary, and not all mages have all of these personality traits, but majority has at least one or two in common with their magic type, or develop those as their training in arts of magic continue
There are also non-flight specific magics like necromancy and such which also have their own personality, but i won't include those right now

of course i still need to actually implement this fully in my lore but i'm lazy
At first i was planning, like, something cool

but now magic is basically just magic and it has it's own personality which is why mages are often so quirky: using magic 'gives' you similar personality to magic you're using, and it varies depending on what you use(for example water mages are often calm while wind mages act like they drank 200 cups of coffee and haven't slept for weeks), and if someone's personality clashes with magic's too much, they are unable to properly use it(reason why my arcane skydancer fighter can't do magic: arcane magic has carefree, happy personality, while she is stoic, stone-faced and calculating.. if she just had been ice dragon she would have been extremely powerful mage)

Basic personalities are as follows:
Earth: Strong yet warm and friendly, always ready to help, defensive over even simple things
Water: calm, peaceful and patient, always waiting the right moment, often overly passive
Wind: 24/7 action, energetic, artistic, creative but not willing to take a break, always seeking inspiration
Fire: Passionate, dedicated, finicky and fiery(obviously), requires perfect control of self, hard but rewarding
Lightning: Duty before all else, Working for greater good, But also selfishness, likes playing with others and 'being the topdog'
Ice: cold, strong, stoic, usually lacks any compassion to anything but what it has it defends till he end
Light: Soft and valiant, Virtues over reality, seek to become better person, fight the 'evil', stubborn but curious
Shadow: Trickery and mischief, usually is not honest with everything. Shady but has heart of gold, belief of own heart and judgement
Nature: Caring, soft, yet not willing to do compromises, hates unfair and 'dirty' fights, often dislikes physical prowess
Plague: Strong, resistant yet kinda manipulative, likes challenge and hates 'taking it easy', often prefers physical strength as well
Arcane: happy, carefree, bit crazy and stubborn, often curious about things most consider bit messed up

These all vary, and not all mages have all of these personality traits, but majority has at least one or two in common with their magic type, or develop those as their training in arts of magic continue
There are also non-flight specific magics like necromancy and such which also have their own personality, but i won't include those right now

of course i still need to actually implement this fully in my lore but i'm lazy
+ 10 fr time
Any pronouns
I am often a huge idiot
I apologize if I sound rude
not native speaker, english is hard
76914149_ZoqtgzM6biIYLbE.png
wishlist
I like D&D
i'll make this better soon
@Gula

If you ever get curious, just google Lockiophobia.
@Gula

If you ever get curious, just google Lockiophobia.
Dinoclaire101.png
@Dinoclaire101

Something related to that was actually one of the ideas for illegal magic I was thinking of too! I can see where such magic could be used terribly.
@Dinoclaire101

Something related to that was actually one of the ideas for illegal magic I was thinking of too! I can see where such magic could be used terribly.
Gula.gif
[img]https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FewWaterloggedDuck-max-1mb.gif[/img]
FewWaterloggedDuck-max-1mb.gif
ImLwTCX.png My Dragon Search Thread
I have it as an "anybody can learn it" type of thing, but genetics and flight come into play. The flight you're born in is the magic you'd be strongest in -- if you have the proclivity/propensity/whatever the word for it -- but you can learn other flight's magic (Suvi learns ice magic from his Ice-native father, for instance.)
I have it as an "anybody can learn it" type of thing, but genetics and flight come into play. The flight you're born in is the magic you'd be strongest in -- if you have the proclivity/propensity/whatever the word for it -- but you can learn other flight's magic (Suvi learns ice magic from his Ice-native father, for instance.)
f0PgqbB.png Call me Alex, or Kieran!
pronouns: he/him, they/them
FR +0
old-oaks-2.png Lair sales
Old Oaks sales (lair)
Old Oaks sales (HibDen)
7kXqKFJ.png
1 2 3 4