Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | FR themed animatic
I so desperately want to make an FR themed animatic of some characters in my lair that I'm working on. (Or even just in general)

Although I don't even know where to start, animatics are complex and I'd have a long way to go. I was thinking of downloading firealpaca because I hear it functions similar to SAI, is simple and has an easy built in animation features like Onion layers.

I also have some basic knowledge of using After Effects, I can animate and edit with it but the program is very hard on my laptop.

Would anyone give me some advice on making animatics? Or would anyone like to be pinged or notified if I do make an animatic inspired by FR?
I so desperately want to make an FR themed animatic of some characters in my lair that I'm working on. (Or even just in general)

Although I don't even know where to start, animatics are complex and I'd have a long way to go. I was thinking of downloading firealpaca because I hear it functions similar to SAI, is simple and has an easy built in animation features like Onion layers.

I also have some basic knowledge of using After Effects, I can animate and edit with it but the program is very hard on my laptop.

Would anyone give me some advice on making animatics? Or would anyone like to be pinged or notified if I do make an animatic inspired by FR?
@Monako Did someone say animatics, I love creating animatics, I could even say I know some tricks and tricks. What have you planned for it, what are dragons gonna do?
@Monako Did someone say animatics, I love creating animatics, I could even say I know some tricks and tricks. What have you planned for it, what are dragons gonna do?
@Rautatiski I'd love to see your work sometime!

I'm going to be drawing:

Imperials, a fae, an f spiral, guardians, ridgebacks and mirror dragons.

I have a story I plan to follow but I don't know how to put it on paper as a animatic or storyboard.

The main character is a young imperial dragon whom finds an egg in the Plaguebringers territory that's abandoned and brings it back to his family.

@Rautatiski I'd love to see your work sometime!

I'm going to be drawing:

Imperials, a fae, an f spiral, guardians, ridgebacks and mirror dragons.

I have a story I plan to follow but I don't know how to put it on paper as a animatic or storyboard.

The main character is a young imperial dragon whom finds an egg in the Plaguebringers territory that's abandoned and brings it back to his family.

@Monako heh, I think most of my animatics are pretty messy looking, most of the time they're just meant for me to understand what's gonna happen on screen before I start to work on actual animation.

Storyboard and animatic works pretty much same way, but storyboard looks alot like comic page, while animatic is like storyboard but in video form. And they both are ften very sketchy looking, they're used to make clear how camera is moving, how timing goes, character's faces and how they're feeling.

Maybe first step is to write down what's gonna happen in your animatic, novel is not needed, but simple draft you can follow.

Then, I often choose music (or sound world in general) before I start to work on animatic, it really helps me set up the mood I'm striving for and it gets easier to visualize.

There's plenty of royalty Free music in youtube and many differend genres, I also have one big list of royalty free music I have found
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdQAxU1bNPhJokBpYgiNcHuCTm9-A33j3

Then, you just kinda have to follow whatever you have visualized and draw it, edit it in your program and see how it works, and do it again, and again, and again...

Couple things are good to remember when drawing, try to keep red thread there, and think closely how scene cuts will work out, I actually don't really know any smart words how to keep thread going. You just have to watch it many times and question if it would be easy to follow for people who are not familiar with the project.

I also suggest you check out how 180-degree rule works, no worries, it isn't scary, but learning about it really helped me to understand how to make camera work better and transitions more smoother.
@Monako heh, I think most of my animatics are pretty messy looking, most of the time they're just meant for me to understand what's gonna happen on screen before I start to work on actual animation.

Storyboard and animatic works pretty much same way, but storyboard looks alot like comic page, while animatic is like storyboard but in video form. And they both are ften very sketchy looking, they're used to make clear how camera is moving, how timing goes, character's faces and how they're feeling.

Maybe first step is to write down what's gonna happen in your animatic, novel is not needed, but simple draft you can follow.

Then, I often choose music (or sound world in general) before I start to work on animatic, it really helps me set up the mood I'm striving for and it gets easier to visualize.

There's plenty of royalty Free music in youtube and many differend genres, I also have one big list of royalty free music I have found
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdQAxU1bNPhJokBpYgiNcHuCTm9-A33j3

Then, you just kinda have to follow whatever you have visualized and draw it, edit it in your program and see how it works, and do it again, and again, and again...

Couple things are good to remember when drawing, try to keep red thread there, and think closely how scene cuts will work out, I actually don't really know any smart words how to keep thread going. You just have to watch it many times and question if it would be easy to follow for people who are not familiar with the project.

I also suggest you check out how 180-degree rule works, no worries, it isn't scary, but learning about it really helped me to understand how to make camera work better and transitions more smoother.
@Rautatiski Thank you for the reply! This is all really helpful actually and I'll be sure to take your advice regarding it.

How much time do you usually put into an animatic an animation?

What's a good starting time. 20, 30, 60 seconds for a total beginner to work on something like this before a big project? x3
@Rautatiski Thank you for the reply! This is all really helpful actually and I'll be sure to take your advice regarding it.

How much time do you usually put into an animatic an animation?

What's a good starting time. 20, 30, 60 seconds for a total beginner to work on something like this before a big project? x3
@Monako

Oh my, I often create my animatic pretty quickly since they're not visually so polished, like about 2 mins video takes couple days.
But animation part OH BOY, I'm slow animator, I have one about 2 minutes long project, animatic took only couple days, animation itself have been in progress about year. ofc I haven't been working on it 24/7, but still.

I think 20-30 seconds it good for a first short test project.
@Monako

Oh my, I often create my animatic pretty quickly since they're not visually so polished, like about 2 mins video takes couple days.
But animation part OH BOY, I'm slow animator, I have one about 2 minutes long project, animatic took only couple days, animation itself have been in progress about year. ofc I haven't been working on it 24/7, but still.

I think 20-30 seconds it good for a first short test project.