Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | my 1st dragon drawing pls comment
1 2 3
[color=darkorchid][i]Hi I'm new to drawing, & trying to draw something every day. I want to draw every dragon in my lair eventually, and someday I'll try digital, too[/i] [b]Keskiyo[/b] [i]pen, coloured pencil, charcoal, plain paper [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/8098570][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/80986/8098570_350.png[/img][/url] [img]https://i.imgur.com/FM6eLPw.jpg[/img] tysm any comments / suggestions [emoji=familiar heart size=1] pls feel free to post your own drawings :) ^^
Hi I'm new to drawing, & trying to draw something every day.

I want to draw every dragon in my lair eventually, and someday I'll try digital, too

Keskiyo
pen, coloured pencil, charcoal, plain paper

8098570_350.png

FM6eLPw.jpg

tysm any comments / suggestions

pls feel free to post your own drawings :)

^^

He’s perfect :o
He’s perfect :o
78zplcD.png
@Scalegrudge TYSM for your kind support [emoji=heart size=1] ^^
@Scalegrudge

TYSM for your kind support

^^
Good luck with your art journey! I'm also slowly learning to draw. Getting into the habit of drawing daily is a great thing to practice! Your art is coming along great. I drew a quick headshot of your dragon Tuula after seeing this post. I hope I did him justice! [img]https://i.imgur.com/lggz0dv.png[/img]
Good luck with your art journey! I'm also slowly learning to draw. Getting into the habit of drawing daily is a great thing to practice! Your art is coming along great.

I drew a quick headshot of your dragon Tuula after seeing this post. I hope I did him justice!

lggz0dv.png
@Quagsire

oh WOW!! TYSM, that's amazing and I love it!!! Tuula's my first and will always be my favourite!!

you have a flowing, lyrical style that I love!!

can you tell me...however did you decide to tip it like that? It completely changes the head shot, and captures the whimsy and playfulness of Tuula <3

^^
@Quagsire

oh WOW!! TYSM, that's amazing and I love it!!! Tuula's my first and will always be my favourite!!

you have a flowing, lyrical style that I love!!

can you tell me...however did you decide to tip it like that? It completely changes the head shot, and captures the whimsy and playfulness of Tuula <3

^^
Awesome work, a great start!

I started drawing about 7 months ago as a complete beginner too, it can be super rewarding seeing the progress—I highly recommend keeping an ‘art dump’ thread or saving your art somewhere safe to look back on.
Awesome work, a great start!

I started drawing about 7 months ago as a complete beginner too, it can be super rewarding seeing the progress—I highly recommend keeping an ‘art dump’ thread or saving your art somewhere safe to look back on.
83681529.png
@scarletite

tysm for the comments and the suggestion

I checked out your Art Dump, and wow, you taught yourself to do THAT in 6 months!!!

any tips you can give are much appreciated; it looks like you do BOTH digital and traditional art?

I'm so impressed; I can't imagine getting to where you are in just 6 months. You're already doing commissions!!!

Congratulations by the way, you clearly worked very hard every day

^^
@scarletite

tysm for the comments and the suggestion

I checked out your Art Dump, and wow, you taught yourself to do THAT in 6 months!!!

any tips you can give are much appreciated; it looks like you do BOTH digital and traditional art?

I'm so impressed; I can't imagine getting to where you are in just 6 months. You're already doing commissions!!!

Congratulations by the way, you clearly worked very hard every day

^^
It's looking awesome! You got the fur on his tail just right. It's always so nice to see people doing traditional art on FR :> As for suggestions, I'd say it's important to draw from life/do drawing studies! Even if you draw with a more cartoony style, warming up with references can really help improve your art fast. I like to go on Google images and draw stuff from photographs with a pen. Yesterday I was super stuck on a dragon drawing, and taking a break to do some deer studies really helped me figure out where things were supposed to go. [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/8692db90f00cf2eabb18cef08b68f1ab/6e6dd1e895ff3c4d-3f/s2048x3072/e9708cb18bb72df32f11d5b212d4e033203fec0e.jpg[/img] [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/b3c85e4403976091021eb3ec525fa6b4/6e6dd1e895ff3c4d-9f/s2048x3072/377845fa8a21feffe2f3e336f0eac1c0bcf17ea5.jpg[/img] Those sketches are from the same day! Anyways, good luck on your art journey! It looks like you're already off to a good start
It's looking awesome! You got the fur on his tail just right. It's always so nice to see people doing traditional art on FR :>

As for suggestions, I'd say it's important to draw from life/do drawing studies! Even if you draw with a more cartoony style, warming up with references can really help improve your art fast. I like to go on Google images and draw stuff from photographs with a pen.

Yesterday I was super stuck on a dragon drawing, and taking a break to do some deer studies really helped me figure out where things were supposed to go.

e9708cb18bb72df32f11d5b212d4e033203fec0e.jpg

377845fa8a21feffe2f3e336f0eac1c0bcf17ea5.jpg

Those sketches are from the same day!

Anyways, good luck on your art journey! It looks like you're already off to a good start
shopbutton-resize-transparent.png
@Wishtags

TYSM for your excellent advice, and for posting your drawings, those are immensely helpful, and good ideas that I can use.

When I read your post, I remembered an FR artist telling me (they were drawing one of my Obelisks) that they went online and drew lions for an hour or two, to get the proportions right, so when you said that about the deer, it clicked!!

Thanks for your kindness <333

^^
@Wishtags

TYSM for your excellent advice, and for posting your drawings, those are immensely helpful, and good ideas that I can use.

When I read your post, I remembered an FR artist telling me (they were drawing one of my Obelisks) that they went online and drew lions for an hour or two, to get the proportions right, so when you said that about the deer, it clicked!!

Thanks for your kindness <333

^^
@BunnySox - Thank you! It’s been a long but slow journey at times, but I’m super happy with where I’ve gotten to - I try to draw at least once a day, slowly picking up new techniques as I go and trying to incorporate them!

I actually jumped directly into digital art (no traditional), although I’ve noticed my doodles on paper have certainly improved as well—I think the muscle memory transfers over.

In terms of advice, I do the following when I can!
- Use references, they’re your best friend - besides official art, for an Obelisk I use a lion, Tundra a Greyhound, etc.)
- Draw often! I mostly brute forced improvement through drawing the same things over and over
- Don’t be afraid to redraw something - more applicable to digital art, but I constantly hate my first go at a sketch/lineart and will rework it multiple times
- Be critical (but not too critical!) - eventually you’ll get to a point where you draw something and say ‘I don’t like that’, think about ‘why do I not like it and how can I fix it?’ and if you aren’t sure check out some more references, tutorials or get some advice from other artists!
- Try new things - Pinterest has some great resources for techniques, how to draw things, etc., highly recommend having a scroll.
@BunnySox - Thank you! It’s been a long but slow journey at times, but I’m super happy with where I’ve gotten to - I try to draw at least once a day, slowly picking up new techniques as I go and trying to incorporate them!

I actually jumped directly into digital art (no traditional), although I’ve noticed my doodles on paper have certainly improved as well—I think the muscle memory transfers over.

In terms of advice, I do the following when I can!
- Use references, they’re your best friend - besides official art, for an Obelisk I use a lion, Tundra a Greyhound, etc.)
- Draw often! I mostly brute forced improvement through drawing the same things over and over
- Don’t be afraid to redraw something - more applicable to digital art, but I constantly hate my first go at a sketch/lineart and will rework it multiple times
- Be critical (but not too critical!) - eventually you’ll get to a point where you draw something and say ‘I don’t like that’, think about ‘why do I not like it and how can I fix it?’ and if you aren’t sure check out some more references, tutorials or get some advice from other artists!
- Try new things - Pinterest has some great resources for techniques, how to draw things, etc., highly recommend having a scroll.
83681529.png
1 2 3