Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [LORE] Jovakarukam
1 2
et tu?

Tesla’s right fins drooped, ever so slightly. “Sorry?”

“You’re being reassigned to Power,” Craklinne stated. “I’m sorry to see you go, of course, but I think it’ll suit you.”

xxxxxShe was stunned. This was completely out of left field. Years and years of dedicated research in the Department of Energy, only to have her life uprooted so suddenly. She gulped, mouth dry. “What’s this about?”

“Well, your research has made some waves, naturally. The Guild really wants to look into sacridite based power storage, since you proved it’s rechargeable once depleted, so–”

“Linne,” She warned. “What’s this really about?”

xxxxxCraklinne paused, her claws poised over the paperwork she was reaching for. She was emotionless, even for a Fae, but Tesla could see the nearly imperceptible quiver of her carefully stilled frills that she’d come to recognize. Ever so slightly, they poised into a show of remorse. “You have to understand Tes, this would mean great things for the Expanse–”

“You’re still going through with it? After everything I’ve told you, all the damage it could do, you’re still trying to build on the Sanctum?”

She sighed. “You said it yourself, didn’t you? It’d be a massive boon, enough that we’d be able to meet the rising energy demand and then some.”

“I did,” She began, leaning forward with urgency. “But I also made it clear that the consequences could be devastating. We don’t understand what the effects of interrupting the flow of magic this much could be. If we just reached out to the Oculus–”

“We don’t–!” Craklinne sighed again, frustrated. “We don’t have the time to deal with their idealism and traditions, Tes. They don’t understand these things. You know this!”

“Oh they don’t, do they? It’s not like we’ve been staring an energy source in the face for years because we were unwilling to listen to their ‘idealism and traditions’, now, is it?”

xxxxxCraklinne leaned back into her seat and regarded her carefully. The drake that sat across from Tesla was exactly the same one who she’d worked so hard on this research with. Her most respected peer, her closest conspirator– Boss, she was there when she proved her hypothesis! For a moment, she wondered what changed. Suddenly, it clicked: This was always who she was. After all, when Tesla found herself slipping into machines while they were still running, flying through raging thunderstorms, playing fast and loose with her life, to the point where Safety and Health got involved after a close call between some gears, Craklinne made her stance pretty clear. She watched as she closed her eyes and gathered herself. Her frills fell into a schooled, business-like demeanor, she sighed, one final time.

“You have to understand, Tes. This is for the greater good.”
et tu?

Tesla’s right fins drooped, ever so slightly. “Sorry?”

“You’re being reassigned to Power,” Craklinne stated. “I’m sorry to see you go, of course, but I think it’ll suit you.”

xxxxxShe was stunned. This was completely out of left field. Years and years of dedicated research in the Department of Energy, only to have her life uprooted so suddenly. She gulped, mouth dry. “What’s this about?”

“Well, your research has made some waves, naturally. The Guild really wants to look into sacridite based power storage, since you proved it’s rechargeable once depleted, so–”

“Linne,” She warned. “What’s this really about?”

xxxxxCraklinne paused, her claws poised over the paperwork she was reaching for. She was emotionless, even for a Fae, but Tesla could see the nearly imperceptible quiver of her carefully stilled frills that she’d come to recognize. Ever so slightly, they poised into a show of remorse. “You have to understand Tes, this would mean great things for the Expanse–”

“You’re still going through with it? After everything I’ve told you, all the damage it could do, you’re still trying to build on the Sanctum?”

She sighed. “You said it yourself, didn’t you? It’d be a massive boon, enough that we’d be able to meet the rising energy demand and then some.”

“I did,” She began, leaning forward with urgency. “But I also made it clear that the consequences could be devastating. We don’t understand what the effects of interrupting the flow of magic this much could be. If we just reached out to the Oculus–”

“We don’t–!” Craklinne sighed again, frustrated. “We don’t have the time to deal with their idealism and traditions, Tes. They don’t understand these things. You know this!”

“Oh they don’t, do they? It’s not like we’ve been staring an energy source in the face for years because we were unwilling to listen to their ‘idealism and traditions’, now, is it?”

xxxxxCraklinne leaned back into her seat and regarded her carefully. The drake that sat across from Tesla was exactly the same one who she’d worked so hard on this research with. Her most respected peer, her closest conspirator– Boss, she was there when she proved her hypothesis! For a moment, she wondered what changed. Suddenly, it clicked: This was always who she was. After all, when Tesla found herself slipping into machines while they were still running, flying through raging thunderstorms, playing fast and loose with her life, to the point where Safety and Health got involved after a close call between some gears, Craklinne made her stance pretty clear. She watched as she closed her eyes and gathered herself. Her frills fell into a schooled, business-like demeanor, she sighed, one final time.

“You have to understand, Tes. This is for the greater good.”
Waystone5.gif
29562082.png
-
-
-

WAWs3m5.png
9AXhFJA.png
hZipXGO.png
@StormcatcherHere very very little update! new clan description, and short blurbs describing the physical locations.
@StormcatcherHere very very little update! new clan description, and short blurbs describing the physical locations.
Waystone5.gif
29562082.png
-
-
-

WAWs3m5.png
9AXhFJA.png
hZipXGO.png
i'd love to be on the pinglist as well! craklinne and tesla have an interesting dynamic :eyes:
i'd love to be on the pinglist as well! craklinne and tesla have an interesting dynamic :eyes:
shadowmidsmall.png
tumblr_inline_oopzuzQZkV1u5ynwc_540.png__they / them ; fr + 3__tumblr_inline_oopzuzQZkV1u5ynwc_540.png
[quote name="tourmalinesmoke" date="2021-07-14 19:46:52" ] i'd love to be on the pinglist as well! craklinne and tesla have an interesting dynamic :eyes: [/quote] added, thank you! theyre a very interesting what-if for sure.
tourmalinesmoke wrote on 2021-07-14 19:46:52:
added, thank you! theyre a very interesting what-if for sure.
Waystone5.gif
29562082.png
-
-
-

WAWs3m5.png
9AXhFJA.png
hZipXGO.png
bump with another name change. lets hope this is the last time ever.
bump with another name change. lets hope this is the last time ever.
Waystone5.gif
29562082.png
-
-
-

WAWs3m5.png
9AXhFJA.png
hZipXGO.png
new beginnings

Tesla sighed, crumpled the paper, and started again.

What did she know? Sacridite was a good battery. The problem was that it had an astronomical charging time. How do you decrease charging times? By increasing the current. How do you increase the current? Either by increasing the voltage– not an option at this scale, it’d be too unsafe– or reducing the resistance. How do you reduce resistance? You can decrease the temperature (too steep an energy cost), you can increase the cross section of the wires (not practical), or you can change the material (obviously not). So what was left?

She studied the page, completely full of her scribbling. With a sigh, she crumpled the paper, and– no more pages. She looked around her office, and there they were, boxes on boxes on boxes. She knew one of them had the notepad she needed, because they contained all her stuff, because she worked here, in this office, at Power Delivery. She stared at the boxes. She did not work at Energy anymore. The boxes stared back. She worked here now. She stared at the boxes. She worked here now. The boxes stared back.

“What's wrong with you?”

A gruff voice snapped her out of her downward spiral. She looked up– a black and red mirror covered in scars blocked her doorway.

“Noth-! *Ahem* Nothing." Her frills flared into a look of embarrassment before she pressed them into a shaky professionalism. "I'm fine. Thank you for your concern.”

“Don't thank me. Wasn’t concerned.” He cocked his head. “You’re the new R&D head, right? Tesla? Making that new battery tech?”

“Yeah, that’s me,” She admitted, almost reluctantly. “Well, I’m trying to anyway. Charging times. are too long.”

“So increase the voltage.”

“Can’t. It’s not safe.”

“Alright. Drop the resistance.”

“How?”

“Make the wires bigger.”

“They’re as big as we can go.”

“Cool ‘em down.”

“Too much energy.”

“Alright. Increase the surface area.”

“We can’t– Huh.” She thought for a moment. It was a natural battery, so it didn’t really have a size limit and could charge from any surface. If it was grinded to dust…

“That could work… That should work.” Tesla rubbed her chin. “What’s your name?”

“Diode.”

“And your division?”

“Construction.”

“Constr–!? You’re not an engineer?”

“Nope. Too much trouble.”

That wasn’t right, she thought. And then she realised, she could change that. She worked here now. Her frills slowly poised to excitement.

“Well. Bye.”

“Right. I’ll see you around.”

“Sure.”

As he disappeared from view, she strolled across the room, opened one of the boxes, and began to unpack. With the Boss as her witness, she was going to get that drake on the Power Delivery Research and Development team.

She was sure of it.
new beginnings

Tesla sighed, crumpled the paper, and started again.

What did she know? Sacridite was a good battery. The problem was that it had an astronomical charging time. How do you decrease charging times? By increasing the current. How do you increase the current? Either by increasing the voltage– not an option at this scale, it’d be too unsafe– or reducing the resistance. How do you reduce resistance? You can decrease the temperature (too steep an energy cost), you can increase the cross section of the wires (not practical), or you can change the material (obviously not). So what was left?

She studied the page, completely full of her scribbling. With a sigh, she crumpled the paper, and– no more pages. She looked around her office, and there they were, boxes on boxes on boxes. She knew one of them had the notepad she needed, because they contained all her stuff, because she worked here, in this office, at Power Delivery. She stared at the boxes. She did not work at Energy anymore. The boxes stared back. She worked here now. She stared at the boxes. She worked here now. The boxes stared back.

“What's wrong with you?”

A gruff voice snapped her out of her downward spiral. She looked up– a black and red mirror covered in scars blocked her doorway.

“Noth-! *Ahem* Nothing." Her frills flared into a look of embarrassment before she pressed them into a shaky professionalism. "I'm fine. Thank you for your concern.”

“Don't thank me. Wasn’t concerned.” He cocked his head. “You’re the new R&D head, right? Tesla? Making that new battery tech?”

“Yeah, that’s me,” She admitted, almost reluctantly. “Well, I’m trying to anyway. Charging times. are too long.”

“So increase the voltage.”

“Can’t. It’s not safe.”

“Alright. Drop the resistance.”

“How?”

“Make the wires bigger.”

“They’re as big as we can go.”

“Cool ‘em down.”

“Too much energy.”

“Alright. Increase the surface area.”

“We can’t– Huh.” She thought for a moment. It was a natural battery, so it didn’t really have a size limit and could charge from any surface. If it was grinded to dust…

“That could work… That should work.” Tesla rubbed her chin. “What’s your name?”

“Diode.”

“And your division?”

“Construction.”

“Constr–!? You’re not an engineer?”

“Nope. Too much trouble.”

That wasn’t right, she thought. And then she realised, she could change that. She worked here now. Her frills slowly poised to excitement.

“Well. Bye.”

“Right. I’ll see you around.”

“Sure.”

As he disappeared from view, she strolled across the room, opened one of the boxes, and began to unpack. With the Boss as her witness, she was going to get that drake on the Power Delivery Research and Development team.

She was sure of it.
Waystone5.gif
29562082.png
-
-
-

WAWs3m5.png
9AXhFJA.png
hZipXGO.png
@StormcatcherHere @tourmalinesmoke a new short story! i've been fighting with this one for months
@StormcatcherHere @tourmalinesmoke a new short story! i've been fighting with this one for months
Waystone5.gif
29562082.png
-
-
-

WAWs3m5.png
9AXhFJA.png
hZipXGO.png
1 2