Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Catacombs - A Pinkerlocke
1 2 3 4 5
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2249414/2#post_28929672]Previous[/url] | [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2249414/1#post_2249414]Main Page[/url] | Next[/center] ----- [center][size=6][u]Day 8[/u][/size] [item=jar of vapors][/center] ----- [i]Well here we are again folks! Today we've got ourselves a trinket! Which means art! And who doesn't have art yet...? That's right, it's Hayate! I'm gonna do some writing regarding these two again today, because I also picked up said Hayate (and a little Meredian) some apparel! It actually makes sense to them as well, and honestly I just kinda wanted them to not look as naked, but y'know. Anyway, without further ado:[/i] [center][img]https://orig13.deviantart.net/7a3f/f/2017/230/6/a/hayate_locke_portrait_by_minthuu-dbkk3j5.png[/img][/center] Neither Hayate nor Meredian were the type of dragon to easily relax. Meredian was always full of so much energy and curiosity that she never really quit the day until she [i]dropped[/i] of tiredness. And Hayate... well, he was what could easily be classified as a workaholic. Meredian sometimes thought he embodied the long thought stereotype that snappers didn't sleep - and in reality, she didn't really think she'd ever... actually seen him sleep at all. Or relax. Or stop moving or thinking or doing [i]something.[/i] And yet... here they were. After the run-in with those horrid... horrid corrupted monstrosities, both dragons had been too tired to think, much less work or act upon any desire beyond the one to curl up, nurse their wounds, and sleep. As it had turned out, they had gotten [i]very[/i] lucky. It wasn't a clan they had come upon, but a large temporary mining encampment made up of intrepid explorers and entrepreneurs. The camp was split - mostly dragons of Earth and Plague, and they certainly didn't seem to get along all too perfectly well. But they were all there for some reason or other - something about an earthquake and some old ruins having been dug up a few weeks past? The thought of it made Hayate's heart leap into his throat. [i]'Could it be?'[/i] He'd thought excitedly through his adrenaline when they'd stumbled in, [i]Could this be the entrance to the Catacombs I've been waiting for so long..?'[/i] He didn't really get a chance to think on it though, because not soon after they came stumbling into camp, bleeding and scared, a wildclaw in a large brimmed hat as well as a couple of other dragons had come galloping up to them, and whisked them away in a blur to the largest medical tent in the area. Meredian was already unconscious. She had been since halfway or so through Hayate's final sprint. And he himself, well... Hayate had half dazedly mumbled answers to questions sprung on him by the nurses, too tired to really pull himself together and formulate any logical response. He blamed the shock and the adrenaline. Wouldn't the nurses just shut up and leave him be? He was so tired. They were far more obnoxious than even Meredian's constant chatter. The next thing he knew, the snapper was jolting awake on a cot, his head pounding as if a dozen faes were leaping up and down on it. His legs felt like jelly, and he shakily pulled himself up, only to find himself pushed back into a sitting position by a steady hand. He looked up, and the friendly gaze of the wildclaw from last night looked back down at him. [center][img]https://orig02.deviantart.net/15ee/f/2017/230/8/8/explorer_by_minthuu-dbkjkbo.png[/img][/center] "Easy there son, ain't gotta be 'n any rush now. Yer safe." "Right." Hayate glanced at the bandages over his own arm, and raised a paw to press gently against the bruises he knew were on his head and neck. "And who are you?" "Sheriff 'Nondey. I run security 'round these parts for the excavation teams. 'N y'all? Ain't never seen y'all's faces 'round here 'fore last afternoon." "Hayate. An explorer, and archaeologist, I suppose. This is my partner, Dia." They both glanced over to where Meredian lay, still curled up on her cot with her tailtip over her nose, paws pulled in to her chest like a cat. Her wing was trussed up heavily in bandages and held still with a splint, and the dull bloody bandages from the night before were covered up with new, clean ones. There were stitches all along her arm and her back - clean, neat, and expertly done. "Poor lil' gal. She took a right beatin', she did. Dragonhome's usually pretty quiet 'round the Pillar. Ain't never seen nothin' like it. You yerself weren't lookin' a pretty sight either, friend. What 'n the eleven happened to you two?" "A violent monster attack. I'm... not sure what happened to Dia, there. She came tearing back into camp like the Shade was at her heels, a rather large swarm of ragepuffs right at her. More bloodthirsty than I've ever heard of any being in my life. And early this morning, we had a few mith attack. It was... unlike anything I've ever heard of, Nondey. Incredible. I think they were Shade corrupted." "Now son- that ain't a light accusation to make. Sayin' the shade is up 'n at em...." "No, no. I have ample reason to believe that. These mith acted like zombies. Monsters dead, walking in these jittering, bonecrunching movements. So unnatural and strange. And they were dripping this tar - disgusting black stuff thicker than a pot of bogsneak brew. Blacker than night, and they were...oozing it. Out of every orifice." Nondey's jaw twitched, and any genial mood went out of his expression in exchange for something far more serious and grave. His large talons tapped anxiously on the ground, and he looked in thought for a moment before he adjusted his monocle and sighed. "This whole deal is cleanin' outta here in the next couple days anyhow. Some brilliant old underground buildings from some lost deity or some such. I ain't so inclined to believe. I think it's some ol' lost tradesclan thing, an alliance if y'will. I'm sure the findings'll be published soon 'nough and we'll all know then. No sense in startin' up a panic if we ain't gonna be here. But I'll be sure to bring this up to the bigger clans in the area. A shade pandemic's the last thing we all need up 'n this part of Sornieth. Things're bad enough as it is." The wildclaw took his hat off of his head to run his fingers through the crest of feathers beneath before replacing the headpiece. "Well, I'll be darned. I'll run this along to the camp chiefs or whatever they callin 'emselves. Anything else I can do for y'all, Hayate?" "Actually... yes," the snapper replied. He carefully pulled himself off the cot entirely, stretched, and stiffly approached the sheriff's side. "We're a bit low on supplies. I don't suppose you would mind leading me to your camp's training post?" [center]---[/center] Around the time dusk was settling once again over the dusty expanse of Dragonhome, Meredian finally groggily woke up. She'd been half awake sometime earlier when a mess of plague-born healers were fussing over her, and she'd felt much pleasantly better until she had drifted away again, in far less pain. Now that she was finally fully conscious, she took the time to slowly stretch herself out and make sure she wasn't missing anything. To her surprise, her arm hurt far less than it had earlier, and she found it in a clean splint, her wing bound carefully. She daintily tried stretching the limb, and found with no small amount of glee that it didn't feel as if she'd torn it off to stretch it. Of course, it still felt as if the Windsinger and the Flamecaller had worked together to send a burning tornado through it... but it wasn't painful beyond all repair. The healers here surely knew their stuff. Meredian's head shot up as she heard the tent flaps move aside, and was startled to meet Hayate's gaze. He looked... different. Much more professional. [i]'Almost as if he's embraced being a snapper, a child of Earthshaker,'[/i] she thought amusedly. If he believed in the deities, maybe. He cleared his throat and adjusted his glasses - had he always worn glasses? Meredian couldn't remember - and approached, a bundle in his arm. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/349232/34923168_350.png?mtime=WZcz3gAC9vM.png[/img][/center] "You're awake," he greeted. "Yeah..." she laughed, and shook her head, a smile bidding to her lips. "I feel like a herd of guardians ran me over though." Hayate almost laughed. "Not far from the truth. Here. I bought this for you today - for when you're feeling.... more mobile." He shoved the bundle at her, and she pulled it over to herself gently, grinning as the snapper suddenly became very interested in polishing his lenses. In her arms now, lay folded a beautiful peony overcoat and a silky soft white scarf. As she lifted them up gently to look at them, eyes wide with awe, something else fell out - a set of clawed gloves that thumped gently onto the bed before her. "Oh, [i]Hayate...[/i] really? You're sure? These are so beautiful, they must have cost a-" "Don't worry about that. You're a wind dragon, aren't you? I'm sure you'd appreciate the scarf. And the coat... I don't want a repeat of what happened. You needed some form of protection. It's not much, but...." [i]But it matches your wings, too,[/i] he didn't voice. "And the claws...?" "You're going to have a bit of trouble flying for the next couple of days, right? The healers are significantly speeding up the rate of healing and you'll be fine soon, but still. You rely on winds to fly. If you're to fly higher and train your wings to be stronger, you're going to have to take breaks eventually. Claws make good climbing grips. Able to hold yourself to places and climb and fly even higher. And now you won't fall and can protect yourself." When he glanced up again, Meredian had already put her scarf on, and was grinning ear to ear at him. Hayate gave her an entirely empty passive stare back before looking away. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/349293/34929271_350.png?mtime=WZeXkQACgr4.png[/img][/center] "You're a real nice guy deep down, y'know that?" To Meredian's great amusement, Hayate gave no reply. [center]---[/center] [i]Well that was an awful lot of fun to write! (And ahaha, I hope I didn't butcher the little story thing everyone came up with for the dom battle this week between earth and plague - I wanted to include something for it somewhere) And that headshot of Hayate can be found on the main page in the character tab too! It sorta looks a little... off, but I'd never drawn a snapper before so ahaha, all good! Big shoutout to Sheriff Nondey, who is a dragon that doesn't even actually exist beyond photoshop, the scrying workshop, and the dressing room. Thank you, NPC I needed for today's update! But anyway, I hope y'all like what our kiddos are wearing right now! I still haven't really figured out what kind of outfit Meredian should even have, but meh, we'll get there eventually. Until next time, pals![/i] ----- [center]@Silverhame @Legetha @Petall[/center] -----

Previous | Main Page | Next

Day 8
Jar of Vapors

Well here we are again folks! Today we've got ourselves a trinket! Which means art! And who doesn't have art yet...? That's right, it's Hayate! I'm gonna do some writing regarding these two again today, because I also picked up said Hayate (and a little Meredian) some apparel! It actually makes sense to them as well, and honestly I just kinda wanted them to not look as naked, but y'know. Anyway, without further ado:
hayate_locke_portrait_by_minthuu-dbkk3j5.png

Neither Hayate nor Meredian were the type of dragon to easily relax. Meredian was always full of so much energy and curiosity that she never really quit the day until she dropped of tiredness. And Hayate... well, he was what could easily be classified as a workaholic. Meredian sometimes thought he embodied the long thought stereotype that snappers didn't sleep - and in reality, she didn't really think she'd ever... actually seen him sleep at all. Or relax. Or stop moving or thinking or doing something. And yet... here they were.

After the run-in with those horrid... horrid corrupted monstrosities, both dragons had been too tired to think, much less work or act upon any desire beyond the one to curl up, nurse their wounds, and sleep. As it had turned out, they had gotten very lucky. It wasn't a clan they had come upon, but a large temporary mining encampment made up of intrepid explorers and entrepreneurs. The camp was split - mostly dragons of Earth and Plague, and they certainly didn't seem to get along all too perfectly well. But they were all there for some reason or other - something about an earthquake and some old ruins having been dug up a few weeks past? The thought of it made Hayate's heart leap into his throat. 'Could it be?' He'd thought excitedly through his adrenaline when they'd stumbled in, Could this be the entrance to the Catacombs I've been waiting for so long..?'

He didn't really get a chance to think on it though, because not soon after they came stumbling into camp, bleeding and scared, a wildclaw in a large brimmed hat as well as a couple of other dragons had come galloping up to them, and whisked them away in a blur to the largest medical tent in the area. Meredian was already unconscious. She had been since halfway or so through Hayate's final sprint. And he himself, well...

Hayate had half dazedly mumbled answers to questions sprung on him by the nurses, too tired to really pull himself together and formulate any logical response. He blamed the shock and the adrenaline. Wouldn't the nurses just shut up and leave him be? He was so tired. They were far more obnoxious than even Meredian's constant chatter.

The next thing he knew, the snapper was jolting awake on a cot, his head pounding as if a dozen faes were leaping up and down on it. His legs felt like jelly, and he shakily pulled himself up, only to find himself pushed back into a sitting position by a steady hand. He looked up, and the friendly gaze of the wildclaw from last night looked back down at him.
explorer_by_minthuu-dbkjkbo.png

"Easy there son, ain't gotta be 'n any rush now. Yer safe."

"Right." Hayate glanced at the bandages over his own arm, and raised a paw to press gently against the bruises he knew were on his head and neck. "And who are you?"

"Sheriff 'Nondey. I run security 'round these parts for the excavation teams. 'N y'all? Ain't never seen y'all's faces 'round here 'fore last afternoon."

"Hayate. An explorer, and archaeologist, I suppose. This is my partner, Dia."

They both glanced over to where Meredian lay, still curled up on her cot with her tailtip over her nose, paws pulled in to her chest like a cat. Her wing was trussed up heavily in bandages and held still with a splint, and the dull bloody bandages from the night before were covered up with new, clean ones. There were stitches all along her arm and her back - clean, neat, and expertly done.

"Poor lil' gal. She took a right beatin', she did. Dragonhome's usually pretty quiet 'round the Pillar. Ain't never seen nothin' like it. You yerself weren't lookin' a pretty sight either, friend. What 'n the eleven happened to you two?"

"A violent monster attack. I'm... not sure what happened to Dia, there. She came tearing back into camp like the Shade was at her heels, a rather large swarm of ragepuffs right at her. More bloodthirsty than I've ever heard of any being in my life. And early this morning, we had a few mith attack. It was... unlike anything I've ever heard of, Nondey. Incredible. I think they were Shade corrupted."

"Now son- that ain't a light accusation to make. Sayin' the shade is up 'n at em...."

"No, no. I have ample reason to believe that. These mith acted like zombies. Monsters dead, walking in these jittering, bonecrunching movements. So unnatural and strange. And they were dripping this tar - disgusting black stuff thicker than a pot of bogsneak brew. Blacker than night, and they were...oozing it. Out of every orifice."

Nondey's jaw twitched, and any genial mood went out of his expression in exchange for something far more serious and grave. His large talons tapped anxiously on the ground, and he looked in thought for a moment before he adjusted his monocle and sighed. "This whole deal is cleanin' outta here in the next couple days anyhow. Some brilliant old underground buildings from some lost deity or some such. I ain't so inclined to believe. I think it's some ol' lost tradesclan thing, an alliance if y'will. I'm sure the findings'll be published soon 'nough and we'll all know then. No sense in startin' up a panic if we ain't gonna be here. But I'll be sure to bring this up to the bigger clans in the area. A shade pandemic's the last thing we all need up 'n this part of Sornieth. Things're bad enough as it is."

The wildclaw took his hat off of his head to run his fingers through the crest of feathers beneath before replacing the headpiece. "Well, I'll be darned. I'll run this along to the camp chiefs or whatever they callin 'emselves. Anything else I can do for y'all, Hayate?"

"Actually... yes," the snapper replied. He carefully pulled himself off the cot entirely, stretched, and stiffly approached the sheriff's side. "We're a bit low on supplies. I don't suppose you would mind leading me to your camp's training post?"

---

Around the time dusk was settling once again over the dusty expanse of Dragonhome, Meredian finally groggily woke up. She'd been half awake sometime earlier when a mess of plague-born healers were fussing over her, and she'd felt much pleasantly better until she had drifted away again, in far less pain.

Now that she was finally fully conscious, she took the time to slowly stretch herself out and make sure she wasn't missing anything. To her surprise, her arm hurt far less than it had earlier, and she found it in a clean splint, her wing bound carefully. She daintily tried stretching the limb, and found with no small amount of glee that it didn't feel as if she'd torn it off to stretch it. Of course, it still felt as if the Windsinger and the Flamecaller had worked together to send a burning tornado through it... but it wasn't painful beyond all repair. The healers here surely knew their stuff.

Meredian's head shot up as she heard the tent flaps move aside, and was startled to meet Hayate's gaze. He looked... different. Much more professional. 'Almost as if he's embraced being a snapper, a child of Earthshaker,' she thought amusedly. If he believed in the deities, maybe. He cleared his throat and adjusted his glasses - had he always worn glasses? Meredian couldn't remember - and approached, a bundle in his arm.
34923168_350.png?mtime=WZcz3gAC9vM.png

"You're awake," he greeted.

"Yeah..." she laughed, and shook her head, a smile bidding to her lips. "I feel like a herd of guardians ran me over though."

Hayate almost laughed. "Not far from the truth. Here. I bought this for you today - for when you're feeling.... more mobile."

He shoved the bundle at her, and she pulled it over to herself gently, grinning as the snapper suddenly became very interested in polishing his lenses. In her arms now, lay folded a beautiful peony overcoat and a silky soft white scarf. As she lifted them up gently to look at them, eyes wide with awe, something else fell out - a set of clawed gloves that thumped gently onto the bed before her. "Oh, Hayate... really? You're sure? These are so beautiful, they must have cost a-"

"Don't worry about that. You're a wind dragon, aren't you? I'm sure you'd appreciate the scarf. And the coat... I don't want a repeat of what happened. You needed some form of protection. It's not much, but...." But it matches your wings, too, he didn't voice.

"And the claws...?"

"You're going to have a bit of trouble flying for the next couple of days, right? The healers are significantly speeding up the rate of healing and you'll be fine soon, but still. You rely on winds to fly. If you're to fly higher and train your wings to be stronger, you're going to have to take breaks eventually. Claws make good climbing grips. Able to hold yourself to places and climb and fly even higher. And now you won't fall and can protect yourself."

When he glanced up again, Meredian had already put her scarf on, and was grinning ear to ear at him. Hayate gave her an entirely empty passive stare back before looking away.
34929271_350.png?mtime=WZeXkQACgr4.png

"You're a real nice guy deep down, y'know that?"

To Meredian's great amusement, Hayate gave no reply.
---

Well that was an awful lot of fun to write! (And ahaha, I hope I didn't butcher the little story thing everyone came up with for the dom battle this week between earth and plague - I wanted to include something for it somewhere) And that headshot of Hayate can be found on the main page in the character tab too! It sorta looks a little... off, but I'd never drawn a snapper before so ahaha, all good! Big shoutout to Sheriff Nondey, who is a dragon that doesn't even actually exist beyond photoshop, the scrying workshop, and the dressing room. Thank you, NPC I needed for today's update! But anyway, I hope y'all like what our kiddos are wearing right now! I still haven't really figured out what kind of outfit Meredian should even have, but meh, we'll get there eventually. Until next time, pals!

@Artificiary

Oh my goodness, what a great update!!! I love their new outfits so much, and the shade certainly changes a lot of things...

I also really liked that wildclaw, even if he was only a temporary character.
@Artificiary

Oh my goodness, what a great update!!! I love their new outfits so much, and the shade certainly changes a lot of things...

I also really liked that wildclaw, even if he was only a temporary character.
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Petall

I'm glad you liked it! The Shade is definitely going to be an interesting contender to deal with here and later on c:

And honestly, so much same. I wish I had a Nondey in my lair - I... might have to look for one honestly. He'd be a good perma lore dragon >_>'
@Petall

I'm glad you liked it! The Shade is definitely going to be an interesting contender to deal with here and later on c:

And honestly, so much same. I wish I had a Nondey in my lair - I... might have to look for one honestly. He'd be a good perma lore dragon >_>'
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2249414/3#post_28950408]Previous[/url] | [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2249414/1#post_2249414]Main Page[/url] | Next[/center] ----- [center][size=6][u]Day 9[/u][/size] [item=dusk rogue bracers][/center] ----- [i]Wwwwwwwell. Apparel today! Which usually means breeding dragons (or gene/breed change but excuse me I'm poor as all get out), but..... not only is nobody RTB, the two closet at 5 days away... are the boys. Whoops. However, I'm still a cheaty lil' bub and wanna get a new dragon so I can keep on writing, so we're gonna go about it like this. I have a handful of d20 from me playing Dungeons and Dragons all the time. I'll roll two of them and when we have two numbers between 1-14, I'll flip a coin. Much like you would for a hatchling, right? Except heads is one breed, tails the other... instead of life or death. And that's how we'll get our new dragon. (Hopefully that's okay...?) Aaannnnnd, without further ado:[/i] [center]---[/center] [size=2][b]Previously [s]on dragonball z[/s]:[/b] Tarrey sat down where he stood, eyes wide with awe and amazement at the beautiful sight of the world before him. And it was all... all just him - his world, this Dark World where no other dragon tread - but maybe they had, maybe they did! The ruins surely belied that, perhaps? For the first time in his life, Tarrey didn't feel fear, but rather, the curiosity and wonder of the world that had been denied him as a hatchling. For once in his life, Tarrey wanted to explore, and see all this world had for him. His wings fluttered in excitement. "Wow..."[/size] ------ Tarrey gently pulled himself to his feet once more, exhilaration welling up in his chest. He couldn't leave all of this beauty behind. But he didn't know where to start. He was... he was so [i]excited.[/i] Where should he go?! There was the brilliant warmth of the volcano.. but it was so far away, even if he [i]could[/i] feel the heat from the woods he stood in. And the icy tundra expanse was even further than that. He twisted his head to look around, flicking his tail in anxious indecisiveness. There was the glowing light in the mountains he supposed, but it was so high up... "I'm not sure if my wings can manage that flight yet," he murmured to himself quietly. But what[i]was[/i] manageable? [i]The Ruins.[/i] Tarrey nodded, his mind made up. The ruins weren't too horribly far - and he was sure his wing could hold up long enough to glide! He wouldn't have to exert too much energy to get down there, so surely it wouldn't strain his wings any more than they were already stressed. He could already feel his wings unfurling in excitement. He hadn't flown since he'd fled into the Hewn City - and that had been at least a few months ago... even then, that life felt like nothing more than a dream compared to all this. Stepping back and flexing his claws, digging them deep into the rich damp earth, Tarrey took a deep breath to prepare himself. And then he clutched his pearl carefully to his chest, took one giant leap forward, dug his hand into the ground - and down swung his hind legs, and he leaped, closing his eyes tightly. The pearlcatcher's long wings stretched out immediately, twinging only vaguely in pain, and the cool misty air caught him instantly. Slowly opening his eyes after realizing he wasn't plummeting to his death, Tarrey laughed in amazement. He was doing it! He wasn't crashing - his wing was bearing him and he was [i]flying![/i] He hadn't thought he'd - oh it had been so long, he'd only been a tiny hatchling last time he really flew, and - and now here he was - He whooped in sheer, unadulterated joy, even as he fought down the natural instinct to flap his wings to fly, rather than glide - or at least tamp down the desire to twirl loops through the air that would likely get him killed. He wasn't [i]that[/i] good a flier. [i]'Yet,'[/i] he told himself. And everything... oh it looked so beautiful from up here. The trees looked like a blurred palette of dark greens and blues and purples, blending together into the dusty grey-cream landscape of the canyons beyond, as he passed overhead across the outskirts of them. And even that faded into the beautiful cerulean of the river he'd been following. He could hear the babbling of the water and nothing had ever sounded more wonderful to the pearlcatcher's ears. He shifted to hold his pearl in both hands like a beacon, and bent his head to breathe softly against it. The pearl shone brightly with light magic, swirling under his clawtips until it pulsed outward like a beacon - like a light to shine him ahead and light his way. The shadows of the night fell apart to show such beautiful beds and fields of flowers and trees beneath him. The light - [i]his[/i] light, showed that he was in the grass again, and he was ever so close to those buildings that had only been faint outlines and roofs to him what felt like mere minutes ago. And all too soon, he was reaching the ground, soft, minty grass under him once more, on the outskirts of ruins that were far grander, larger, and more beautiful than any he'd ever seen before. Tarrey pulled his hind feet up to land on them gently, hopping forward as his momentum slowed. His wings pulled up behind him and folded delicately after a good stretch, and he shifted his pearl to his sore arm once more. The orb still shone brightly, magic in it not in the slightest bit diminished. These ruins were amazing... he could only imagine the kinds of dragons that had once lived here. The towering columns were made out of what had to be marble that was cracked and then inlaid with gold and some beautiful green gemstone. It gave off a shimmering quality under Tarrey's magic that seemed almost from a faerie's tale. The stones were carved with markings and runes the likes of which the pearlcatcher had never seen, and there were old statues of dragons that looked so much more magnificent than any alive today. Tarrey could only wonder who they had once been. He was observing one - it had to be a pearlcatcher from the way the clearly brave and bold dragon held his pearl aloft, carved swirls of some kind of magic surrounding it made of labradorite and jade - when he heard a rustle of movement behind him, followed by a very quiet hiss he almost missed. Tarrey jolted and swung around, his chest suddenly tight and claustrophobic. [i]Witch hunters!? Monsters!? Who was--[/i] Tarrey took a shaky breath and slowly started walking backwards, towards the statue. He didn't dare call out. What if that attracted more, or... - another sound of movement came from his side, and Tarrey could have sworn he saw a flash of vibrant orange off of the light of his pearl. Fear sent his hackles up and clawed up through his spine. Idiot! His magic - he quickly shoved it deep down inside him once more and the orb flickered, before going out entirely. He was in complete darkness. And for that, he was afraid. Leaving no time to waste, Tarrey felt for the statue behind him, and when he found it, he whipped around and ran - as if his life depended on it, as if the Shade itself were howling at his heels. He tore around the curves of buildings, seeing them only by the dull dark shapes they made in the night, and by the even deeper shadows they threw. And just as he pulled a sharp turn around a corner of another building -- [i]WHAM![/i] The breath went out of the pearlcatcher all at once in a pained wheeze when he suddenly felt himself thrown sideways with a horrible lurching feeling. He crashed hard into the wall, and he could barely let out a strangled whimper when sharp claws were at his throat, raising him up against the marble surface. He was pinned. Coughing, choking on his own breath, Tarrey tried to make out the shape in front of him - large, sinuous, like a massive serpent.... And the eyes that stared him down, slitted pupils like a predatory cat's, were the most intense pink he'd ever seen. "Who are you?" Came a raspy, hissing breath from the eyes, and he felt the hot, stale breath of meat against his face. His eyes watered, and he trembled. The claws around his throat tightened, and the giant serpent growled lowly as he gave no reply - and in fear, Tarrey found he had one, one ironic, and bitter, chance. He focused all the energy he had left, and raised his pearl in front of him. The thing gave a dull pulse - and then [i]exploded[/i] with light, bright white and hot and radiating from the pearlcatcher's fingertips. His assailant gave a shriek and reared back, and Tarrey had a glimpse at the thing attacking him. Horns, ears like his - scales - a [i]dragon!?[/i] He barely had time to process, and had barely made it a few steps away when they were upon him again, their serpent-like coils forcing themselves over his body to pin him to the grass. "Idiot," they hissed in his ear, "Shining magic like that! [i]It[/i] is out right now! Are you stupid?!" "W-who??" Tarrey croaked, trying desperately to free himself. There was a worried, annoyed hiss from above him, and suddenly he was free - and moving, as the dragon yanked him along behind her. He almost dropped his pearl in the suddenness of it - but held fast as he was half dragged. "Bah - no matter, must go - will explain later!" It seemed like ages, but when they finally stopped, Tarrey was out of breath. He coughed and fell over to his side, desperately trying to catch his breath. He heard, rather than saw, the other dragon move ahead without him, before their shadow paused. A candle lit in a soft pink glow, and illuminated their face. And then another, and another, until he realized he was in what looked like a dragon-made cave - walls smooth and carved, bricks made of the same marble of the ruins creating columns and support in the walls. A few more crude furnishings and makings of a lair adorned the large area that looked far more recent than the walls around it. The dragon - a spiral, he realized - looked at him. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=149&bodygene=15&breed=7&element=9&gender=1&tert=84&tertgene=5&winggene=8&wings=47&auth=1838eb9b485b8d400b65d4491911c05c72238a5a&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/center] "...You are unfamiliar. Who are you?" Their - her - voice rasped at him again, softer...calmer, now. "Tarrey," he answered, after a long silence. She nodded. "Where are you from? Where did you come from?" "I..." he paused, and gulped when he saw her defensive, almost violent scowl, "...I don't know," he answered truthfully. "I'm...from nowhere. Alone. I don't know where [i]I[/i] am, much less how I got down here. ...I fell." The spiral's laugh was almost incredulous, and she ran her claws through the scales at her head, against her horns. "My gods... an outsider. You're actually - I can't believe this. You [i]fell?[/i]" "...Yeah?" "Well. Dang. That isn't a plausible escape then." "Esca- who are [i]you?[/i] All I know is I was just wandering around, and suddenly I'm being kidnapped--" "Kidnapped? I saved your [i]life[/i]!" She snarled at him, winding her way over and getting in his face. "If it wasn't for me, IT would have gotten you, you moron!" Tarrey's fear and anger and paranoia came to a head. He didn't know where he was, who this was, what IT was - how he'd gotten here - for all he knew she was one of those hunters.... and "[i]For Lightweaver's sake, I DON'T KNOW WHAT 'IT' IS![/i]" After a few long moments, the spiral snapped her mouth shut with a click, and walked away. A moment later, he found a small bag thrown in his face. Narrowing his eyes and opening it suspiciously, Tarrey was surprised to find... berries. Berries, plants - edible fruits. His stomach growled, and he ignored it, looking up to the other dragon once more. "...I am Nabira," she finally conceded. "Eat, and then we will talk." [center]---[/center] [i]Meet Nabira, the newest edition to the Catacombs gang! The dice rolled a 7 and an 11, and the coin flipped for 7, sooooo.... we'll learn more about her in tomorrow's update, but man, isn't she pretty? I ended up buying another spiral too for just my lair in general (too pretty to pass up), but maybe we'll throw him in as an NPC at some point haha! Welcome to the Catacombs, Nabira! And see you next update, fellas![/i] ----- [center]@Silverhame @Legetha @Petall[/center] -----

Previous | Main Page | Next

Day 9
Dusk Rogue Bracers

Wwwwwwwell. Apparel today! Which usually means breeding dragons (or gene/breed change but excuse me I'm poor as all get out), but..... not only is nobody RTB, the two closet at 5 days away... are the boys. Whoops. However, I'm still a cheaty lil' bub and wanna get a new dragon so I can keep on writing, so we're gonna go about it like this. I have a handful of d20 from me playing Dungeons and Dragons all the time. I'll roll two of them and when we have two numbers between 1-14, I'll flip a coin. Much like you would for a hatchling, right? Except heads is one breed, tails the other... instead of life or death. And that's how we'll get our new dragon. (Hopefully that's okay...?) Aaannnnnd, without further ado:

---

Previously on dragonball z:
Tarrey sat down where he stood, eyes wide with awe and amazement at the beautiful sight of the world before him. And it was all... all just him - his world, this Dark World where no other dragon tread - but maybe they had, maybe they did! The ruins surely belied that, perhaps?

For the first time in his life, Tarrey didn't feel fear, but rather, the curiosity and wonder of the world that had been denied him as a hatchling. For once in his life, Tarrey wanted to explore, and see all this world had for him. His wings fluttered in excitement.

"Wow..."

Tarrey gently pulled himself to his feet once more, exhilaration welling up in his chest. He couldn't leave all of this beauty behind. But he didn't know where to start. He was... he was so excited. Where should he go?! There was the brilliant warmth of the volcano.. but it was so far away, even if he could feel the heat from the woods he stood in. And the icy tundra expanse was even further than that. He twisted his head to look around, flicking his tail in anxious indecisiveness.

There was the glowing light in the mountains he supposed, but it was so high up... "I'm not sure if my wings can manage that flight yet," he murmured to himself quietly. But whatwas manageable?

The Ruins.

Tarrey nodded, his mind made up. The ruins weren't too horribly far - and he was sure his wing could hold up long enough to glide! He wouldn't have to exert too much energy to get down there, so surely it wouldn't strain his wings any more than they were already stressed. He could already feel his wings unfurling in excitement. He hadn't flown since he'd fled into the Hewn City - and that had been at least a few months ago... even then, that life felt like nothing more than a dream compared to all this.

Stepping back and flexing his claws, digging them deep into the rich damp earth, Tarrey took a deep breath to prepare himself. And then he clutched his pearl carefully to his chest, took one giant leap forward, dug his hand into the ground - and down swung his hind legs, and he leaped, closing his eyes tightly. The pearlcatcher's long wings stretched out immediately, twinging only vaguely in pain, and the cool misty air caught him instantly.

Slowly opening his eyes after realizing he wasn't plummeting to his death, Tarrey laughed in amazement. He was doing it! He wasn't crashing - his wing was bearing him and he was flying! He hadn't thought he'd - oh it had been so long, he'd only been a tiny hatchling last time he really flew, and - and now here he was - He whooped in sheer, unadulterated joy, even as he fought down the natural instinct to flap his wings to fly, rather than glide - or at least tamp down the desire to twirl loops through the air that would likely get him killed. He wasn't that good a flier. 'Yet,' he told himself.

And everything... oh it looked so beautiful from up here. The trees looked like a blurred palette of dark greens and blues and purples, blending together into the dusty grey-cream landscape of the canyons beyond, as he passed overhead across the outskirts of them. And even that faded into the beautiful cerulean of the river he'd been following. He could hear the babbling of the water and nothing had ever sounded more wonderful to the pearlcatcher's ears. He shifted to hold his pearl in both hands like a beacon, and bent his head to breathe softly against it. The pearl shone brightly with light magic, swirling under his clawtips until it pulsed outward like a beacon - like a light to shine him ahead and light his way. The shadows of the night fell apart to show such beautiful beds and fields of flowers and trees beneath him. The light - his light, showed that he was in the grass again, and he was ever so close to those buildings that had only been faint outlines and roofs to him what felt like mere minutes ago.

And all too soon, he was reaching the ground, soft, minty grass under him once more, on the outskirts of ruins that were far grander, larger, and more beautiful than any he'd ever seen before. Tarrey pulled his hind feet up to land on them gently, hopping forward as his momentum slowed. His wings pulled up behind him and folded delicately after a good stretch, and he shifted his pearl to his sore arm once more. The orb still shone brightly, magic in it not in the slightest bit diminished. These ruins were amazing... he could only imagine the kinds of dragons that had once lived here.

The towering columns were made out of what had to be marble that was cracked and then inlaid with gold and some beautiful green gemstone. It gave off a shimmering quality under Tarrey's magic that seemed almost from a faerie's tale. The stones were carved with markings and runes the likes of which the pearlcatcher had never seen, and there were old statues of dragons that looked so much more magnificent than any alive today. Tarrey could only wonder who they had once been. He was observing one - it had to be a pearlcatcher from the way the clearly brave and bold dragon held his pearl aloft, carved swirls of some kind of magic surrounding it made of labradorite and jade - when he heard a rustle of movement behind him, followed by a very quiet hiss he almost missed.

Tarrey jolted and swung around, his chest suddenly tight and claustrophobic. Witch hunters!? Monsters!? Who was-- Tarrey took a shaky breath and slowly started walking backwards, towards the statue. He didn't dare call out. What if that attracted more, or... - another sound of movement came from his side, and Tarrey could have sworn he saw a flash of vibrant orange off of the light of his pearl. Fear sent his hackles up and clawed up through his spine. Idiot! His magic - he quickly shoved it deep down inside him once more and the orb flickered, before going out entirely.

He was in complete darkness. And for that, he was afraid.

Leaving no time to waste, Tarrey felt for the statue behind him, and when he found it, he whipped around and ran - as if his life depended on it, as if the Shade itself were howling at his heels. He tore around the curves of buildings, seeing them only by the dull dark shapes they made in the night, and by the even deeper shadows they threw. And just as he pulled a sharp turn around a corner of another building --

WHAM!

The breath went out of the pearlcatcher all at once in a pained wheeze when he suddenly felt himself thrown sideways with a horrible lurching feeling. He crashed hard into the wall, and he could barely let out a strangled whimper when sharp claws were at his throat, raising him up against the marble surface. He was pinned. Coughing, choking on his own breath, Tarrey tried to make out the shape in front of him - large, sinuous, like a massive serpent....

And the eyes that stared him down, slitted pupils like a predatory cat's, were the most intense pink he'd ever seen. "Who are you?" Came a raspy, hissing breath from the eyes, and he felt the hot, stale breath of meat against his face. His eyes watered, and he trembled.

The claws around his throat tightened, and the giant serpent growled lowly as he gave no reply - and in fear, Tarrey found he had one, one ironic, and bitter, chance. He focused all the energy he had left, and raised his pearl in front of him. The thing gave a dull pulse - and then exploded with light, bright white and hot and radiating from the pearlcatcher's fingertips. His assailant gave a shriek and reared back, and Tarrey had a glimpse at the thing attacking him. Horns, ears like his - scales - a dragon!? He barely had time to process, and had barely made it a few steps away when they were upon him again, their serpent-like coils forcing themselves over his body to pin him to the grass. "Idiot," they hissed in his ear, "Shining magic like that! It is out right now! Are you stupid?!"

"W-who??" Tarrey croaked, trying desperately to free himself.

There was a worried, annoyed hiss from above him, and suddenly he was free - and moving, as the dragon yanked him along behind her. He almost dropped his pearl in the suddenness of it - but held fast as he was half dragged. "Bah - no matter, must go - will explain later!"

It seemed like ages, but when they finally stopped, Tarrey was out of breath. He coughed and fell over to his side, desperately trying to catch his breath. He heard, rather than saw, the other dragon move ahead without him, before their shadow paused. A candle lit in a soft pink glow, and illuminated their face. And then another, and another, until he realized he was in what looked like a dragon-made cave - walls smooth and carved, bricks made of the same marble of the ruins creating columns and support in the walls. A few more crude furnishings and makings of a lair adorned the large area that looked far more recent than the walls around it. The dragon - a spiral, he realized - looked at him.
dragon?age=1&body=149&bodygene=15&breed=7&element=9&gender=1&tert=84&tertgene=5&winggene=8&wings=47&auth=1838eb9b485b8d400b65d4491911c05c72238a5a&dummyext=prev.png

"...You are unfamiliar. Who are you?" Their - her - voice rasped at him again, softer...calmer, now.

"Tarrey," he answered, after a long silence.

She nodded. "Where are you from? Where did you come from?"

"I..." he paused, and gulped when he saw her defensive, almost violent scowl, "...I don't know," he answered truthfully. "I'm...from nowhere. Alone. I don't know where I am, much less how I got down here. ...I fell."

The spiral's laugh was almost incredulous, and she ran her claws through the scales at her head, against her horns. "My gods... an outsider. You're actually - I can't believe this. You fell?"

"...Yeah?"

"Well. Dang. That isn't a plausible escape then."

"Esca- who are you? All I know is I was just wandering around, and suddenly I'm being kidnapped--"

"Kidnapped? I saved your life!" She snarled at him, winding her way over and getting in his face. "If it wasn't for me, IT would have gotten you, you moron!"

Tarrey's fear and anger and paranoia came to a head. He didn't know where he was, who this was, what IT was - how he'd gotten here - for all he knew she was one of those hunters.... and "For Lightweaver's sake, I DON'T KNOW WHAT 'IT' IS!"

After a few long moments, the spiral snapped her mouth shut with a click, and walked away. A moment later, he found a small bag thrown in his face. Narrowing his eyes and opening it suspiciously, Tarrey was surprised to find... berries. Berries, plants - edible fruits. His stomach growled, and he ignored it, looking up to the other dragon once more.

"...I am Nabira," she finally conceded. "Eat, and then we will talk."

---

Meet Nabira, the newest edition to the Catacombs gang! The dice rolled a 7 and an 11, and the coin flipped for 7, sooooo.... we'll learn more about her in tomorrow's update, but man, isn't she pretty? I ended up buying another spiral too for just my lair in general (too pretty to pass up), but maybe we'll throw him in as an NPC at some point haha! Welcome to the Catacombs, Nabira! And see you next update, fellas!

@Artificiary

Ooooo new dragons are always exciting!!! I'm glad that Tarrey isn't on his own anymore, and I'm very curious to learn more about Nabira!
@Artificiary

Ooooo new dragons are always exciting!!! I'm glad that Tarrey isn't on his own anymore, and I'm very curious to learn more about Nabira!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
I just love your story,I can't wait to see what happens next. Your dragons are fabulous, I love their outfits and colors. I can't wait to see and hear more about Nabira!
I just love your story,I can't wait to see what happens next. Your dragons are fabulous, I love their outfits and colors. I can't wait to see and hear more about Nabira!
----- [center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2249414/3#post_28967429]Previous[/url] | [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2249414/1#post_2249414]Main Page[/url] | [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2249414/4#post_29061760]Next[/url][/center] ----- [center][size=6][u]Day 10[/u][/size] [item=ivory tusk][/center] ----- [i]And here we are again for today! We've got a material, so it's only gonna be writing for today. Things are starting to get rolling! Tarrey has a new...friend? And Meredian and Hayate are on the mend! Today's writing is going to touch a bit on both of them as we build up towards part deux of our saga known as The Catacombs. And now... without further ado:[/i] [center]---[/center] "So, you're telling me that all you found was..." "Yeah, man. Some ol' buried temples that were just... y'know. Just that. They were built as a monument to an earth-plague alliance ages ago but there isn't any more to 'em. They're from this age. Must've gotten buried in another earthquake some time back." "I mean," a third voice piped up, "we found some old skellies n' such but they looked just the same as we do! Nothing super interesting." Hayate nodded carefully as he appraised the three dragons before him, adjusting his glasses. The explorers' camp was more than packed up already, and many of the different clans had already begun to disperse and return home. Now, it was just a few stragglers left, and the guards. It was the guards he was speaking with now - two plague-eyed and an earthborn. The third - the earthborn - finally spoke up. Their voice was slow and measured, as if they took much care into what they were saying. "You... sound disappointed in the team's discoveries. I would say this was monumental - but perhaps... there is something... [i]more[/i], that you were looking for?" Expression as deadpan as ever, Hayate gave an even-keeled look to the guard. "You could say something like that. Ever heard of the Catacombs?" One of the plague guards - a spiral - barely held back a snort before they exploded into raucous guffaws. "Th- that old [i]hatchling tale?[/i] Oh, Eleven, are you kidding me right now, man? Hah!" When Hayate didn't bother with a reply, the laughter finally calmed down, replaced by incredulous stares. The snapper pulled himself to his feet, tipped his hat in a farewell, and began to walk away, towards where he had last seen his partner that morning. "N-now wait, snappy! We didn't mean any harm!" the spiral chorused. "We didn't find anything of note that you're looking for. But... I do think we know someone who might have the answers you seek." Hayate paused. "...Go on." [center]---[/center] A loud whoop rang through the air. "Yeee-aw, now you're doin' it lil' missy! Keep yer limbs all tucked in now- rely on those muscles, steady now. Steady..!" Meredian soared through the air, grinning at Sheriff Nondey's cheering. She was a bullet through the sky - a child of the wind! Her wounds had healed remarkably well under the treatment of the camp's healers, and now that their time with the group was up, she was feeling far better. And Nondey was even taking the time to teach her how to fly on her own merit too, and to use her new claws when she needed them! She'd never felt more confident with her flight skills in her life. Listening to the wildclaw's advice, she tucked her arms, legs, and wings in close, twisting down into a nose-dive towards the ground; she was little more than a blue-green blur. "Now Miss Dia - when ya feel it in yer gut, y'all'll know the instinct to pull up, 'n you'll soar higher 'n further than e'er before!" He paused as he kicked up into the air after her, a cloud of dust behind the sheriff. "An' when ya do, use them new muscles we been training to pull yerself even further up! Circle them wings like a hainu circles centauri!" And she did - that now familiar but new clutch in her chest, the way her breath left her just right - and in the moment... [i]now![/i] her mind screamed! Meredian twisted, and snapped her wings open, and her body whirled upwards at unbelievable speeds. Higher, and higher - and as she slowed down she began beating her wings in methodical movements, like rowing to an oar - [i]or like the hainu circles the centauri.[/i] They'd been training and rehabilitating the muscles in her wings for days doing this and other movements and it was working. She'd never flown this high. Never! In all her time on Sornieth. She couldn't help but feel that the attack of those miths had happened for a reason - that Windsinger had brought them here so Meredian could learn; learn, mature, and grow. As she felt her wings tiring, she heard Nondey's voice again, somewhere below her. "When you're feelin' tired, Miss Dia, use them claws! Pull yer behind up and cup yer wings to hover, and use the grapple yer feet find to get ahold with the claws!" She did as instructed. Twirling her body to the side, Meredian banked elegantly towards the Pillar of the World, so close now - closer than they'd ever been. And as she reached it, she angled her body upwards to continue to slow down and lose momentum, pulling her hind feet up. The thin claws grappled into the old stone, and slid only for a moment as the spur claws of her wings dug in too, like a bat. She sank her new gloves' claws into the stone, and found she wasn't falling. Carefully, she began propelling herself even higher, climbing with surprising ease until she heard a clatter and a crunch of stone nearby. Nondey grinned back at her, looking a little pale as Meredian turned her head to look at him. His hind talons were wonderful for getting a grip on the stone, though he looked to be having some more problems than she in holding on. "Well, lil' miss, you've done right fantastic in my book. A true natural." "I couldn't have done it myself," Meredian replied with glee, "I had a fantastic teacher. Thank you so much Sheriff!" "Aw, it ain't nothin'. But keep at it and y'all gonna reach the top of the Pillar any day. A right Arcanist you are." She laughed. "I'd prefer to be the Windsinger, but thanks regardless!" Nondey chuckled, before he tilted his head back and gestured at the empty sky behind them. "On my way up, I saw ol' Hayate wanderin' 'round. I think he's lookin' for us - so shall we head back?" Meredian nodded in reply, before jumping upwards and using the Pillar as a springboard to launch herself off of. She twisted through the sky for a moment, before spreading her wings and soaring up to level herself out in a slow, long descent to the ground below. Nondey rested his cheek against the scratchy stone surface and sighed. "This earth dragon's gettin' too old for these lil' stunts... I ain't built for this." Carefully, he let go of the Pillar with his hands, and pushed off with his feet, falling out to the side for a long moment before righting himself as he too, glided down. They'd barely touched down - with relief fairly evident on the older wildclaw's face - when Hayate was upon them. His expression was blank, but rigid. His eyebrows were pulled down in a concerned line. "The other guards told me you know about a way into the Pillar, Sheriff. Is this true?" Sheriff Nondey felt Meredian's eyes bore into him - at the sharp inhale of excitement. "Nondey, you do!?" He felt panic well up in his chest, smothered by old bitterness and bad memories. When he turned his eyes back to Hayate, they were flinty and sharp. "Now, son, why would you want to know 'bout somethin' like that?" [center][b][i]Meanwhile...[/i][/b][/center] ----- Tarrey ran his claws through his mane, pearl sitting ignored at his feet. He couldn't believe what this dragon - Nabira - was telling him, though he knew she wasn't lying. He could see it in the serious, if not menacing, expression in her eyes, the scowl she wore as she bent forward over the marble counter a bit across the lair. "You don't believe me." Her accusation was simple. Tarrey immediately shook his head, and raised his hands in defense, cringing when his shoulder twinged involuntarily. "No, no- I didn't say that. It's just... a lot to take in." He paused, and ran his hands down his cheeks and over his eyes. "You're telling me that this place is somewhere that was only supposed to exist in hatchling stories and old rhymes." "The Catacombs, Tarrey. An old world as old as the Deities themselves, hidden away from everything. The supposed paradise beneath the planet's crust." "And... your clan has been trapped here?" "No." Tarrey's frown deepened. Then what had she meant by escape? "Then....?" "I live down here. Others live down here. It is not easy." They lapsed into silence for a while. After a bit, Nabira approached Tarrey again, linen bandages in hand. He said nothing as she drew his arm into a secure sling. She glanced at his pearl, and he drew it subconsciously closer to himself. She snorted, and stepped away. "You should find some way to carry that without hindering yourself down here. I... assume you cannot be without it. I've never seen a pearlcatcher - ...ah. Without one." Tarrey was quiet, but he nodded. After a long moment more, he voiced another question, quieter. "Nabira... what is this [i]It[/i] that you mentioned...?" Nabira's eyes grew steely and cold, and she coiled around herself until she was almost in a knot, looking away. "An awful monster," she muttered. "One that kills, and cannot be killed. A Devourer." "...Devourer?" "It consumes the light, and leaves behind dark and decay." She turned to look at him. "Your magic is powerful and bright. Stay away from it. It will consume you, too." [i]'What happened here?'[/i] Tarrey thought. [i]'Me too? Are... were there other dragons?'[/i] She sighed, and shook her head, looking at him wryly. "I will find a carrying...something, for your pearl. And then we will go up, and hunt. ...And I will show you this world." Tarrey blinked as she began rummaging around the lair. He... hadn't really expected to get essentially adopted by this arcane-born dragon. But he wasn't about to pass it up. Tarrey had survived down here in the Dark World - the Catacombs, for this long, but how long was that luck going to hold out? Standing up and helping Nabira look, he smiled. He didn't know what would come of it - or if he could even trust Nabira - but for now... the pearlcatcher would welcome this unlikely alliance. [center]---[/center] [i]We've learned a little bit about Nabira, and Tarrey's found himself a partnership of mutual benefit not unlike Dia and Hayate! And we've also learned a bit more about something going on in the Catacombs - could this be why no explorer has ever found the Catacombs or returned to tell the tale? And just what does Nondey have to do with the Pillar of the World - and where does this entrance he found into it lead? We'll find out soon, see you next time![/i] ----- [center]~ There was definitely a pinglist here ~[/center] -----

Day 10
Ivory Tusk

And here we are again for today! We've got a material, so it's only gonna be writing for today. Things are starting to get rolling! Tarrey has a new...friend? And Meredian and Hayate are on the mend! Today's writing is going to touch a bit on both of them as we build up towards part deux of our saga known as The Catacombs. And now... without further ado:

---

"So, you're telling me that all you found was..."

"Yeah, man. Some ol' buried temples that were just... y'know. Just that. They were built as a monument to an earth-plague alliance ages ago but there isn't any more to 'em. They're from this age. Must've gotten buried in another earthquake some time back."

"I mean," a third voice piped up, "we found some old skellies n' such but they looked just the same as we do! Nothing super interesting."

Hayate nodded carefully as he appraised the three dragons before him, adjusting his glasses. The explorers' camp was more than packed up already, and many of the different clans had already begun to disperse and return home. Now, it was just a few stragglers left, and the guards. It was the guards he was speaking with now - two plague-eyed and an earthborn.

The third - the earthborn - finally spoke up. Their voice was slow and measured, as if they took much care into what they were saying. "You... sound disappointed in the team's discoveries. I would say this was monumental - but perhaps... there is something... more, that you were looking for?"

Expression as deadpan as ever, Hayate gave an even-keeled look to the guard. "You could say something like that. Ever heard of the Catacombs?"

One of the plague guards - a spiral - barely held back a snort before they exploded into raucous guffaws. "Th- that old hatchling tale? Oh, Eleven, are you kidding me right now, man? Hah!"

When Hayate didn't bother with a reply, the laughter finally calmed down, replaced by incredulous stares. The snapper pulled himself to his feet, tipped his hat in a farewell, and began to walk away, towards where he had last seen his partner that morning.

"N-now wait, snappy! We didn't mean any harm!" the spiral chorused.

"We didn't find anything of note that you're looking for. But... I do think we know someone who might have the answers you seek."

Hayate paused. "...Go on."

---

A loud whoop rang through the air. "Yeee-aw, now you're doin' it lil' missy! Keep yer limbs all tucked in now- rely on those muscles, steady now. Steady..!"

Meredian soared through the air, grinning at Sheriff Nondey's cheering. She was a bullet through the sky - a child of the wind! Her wounds had healed remarkably well under the treatment of the camp's healers, and now that their time with the group was up, she was feeling far better. And Nondey was even taking the time to teach her how to fly on her own merit too, and to use her new claws when she needed them! She'd never felt more confident with her flight skills in her life. Listening to the wildclaw's advice, she tucked her arms, legs, and wings in close, twisting down into a nose-dive towards the ground; she was little more than a blue-green blur.

"Now Miss Dia - when ya feel it in yer gut, y'all'll know the instinct to pull up, 'n you'll soar higher 'n further than e'er before!" He paused as he kicked up into the air after her, a cloud of dust behind the sheriff. "An' when ya do, use them new muscles we been training to pull yerself even further up! Circle them wings like a hainu circles centauri!"

And she did - that now familiar but new clutch in her chest, the way her breath left her just right - and in the moment... now! her mind screamed! Meredian twisted, and snapped her wings open, and her body whirled upwards at unbelievable speeds. Higher, and higher - and as she slowed down she began beating her wings in methodical movements, like rowing to an oar - or like the hainu circles the centauri. They'd been training and rehabilitating the muscles in her wings for days doing this and other movements and it was working. She'd never flown this high. Never! In all her time on Sornieth. She couldn't help but feel that the attack of those miths had happened for a reason - that Windsinger had brought them here so Meredian could learn; learn, mature, and grow.

As she felt her wings tiring, she heard Nondey's voice again, somewhere below her. "When you're feelin' tired, Miss Dia, use them claws! Pull yer behind up and cup yer wings to hover, and use the grapple yer feet find to get ahold with the claws!"

She did as instructed. Twirling her body to the side, Meredian banked elegantly towards the Pillar of the World, so close now - closer than they'd ever been. And as she reached it, she angled her body upwards to continue to slow down and lose momentum, pulling her hind feet up. The thin claws grappled into the old stone, and slid only for a moment as the spur claws of her wings dug in too, like a bat. She sank her new gloves' claws into the stone, and found she wasn't falling. Carefully, she began propelling herself even higher, climbing with surprising ease until she heard a clatter and a crunch of stone nearby.

Nondey grinned back at her, looking a little pale as Meredian turned her head to look at him. His hind talons were wonderful for getting a grip on the stone, though he looked to be having some more problems than she in holding on. "Well, lil' miss, you've done right fantastic in my book. A true natural."

"I couldn't have done it myself," Meredian replied with glee, "I had a fantastic teacher. Thank you so much Sheriff!"

"Aw, it ain't nothin'. But keep at it and y'all gonna reach the top of the Pillar any day. A right Arcanist you are."

She laughed. "I'd prefer to be the Windsinger, but thanks regardless!"

Nondey chuckled, before he tilted his head back and gestured at the empty sky behind them. "On my way up, I saw ol' Hayate wanderin' 'round. I think he's lookin' for us - so shall we head back?"

Meredian nodded in reply, before jumping upwards and using the Pillar as a springboard to launch herself off of. She twisted through the sky for a moment, before spreading her wings and soaring up to level herself out in a slow, long descent to the ground below. Nondey rested his cheek against the scratchy stone surface and sighed. "This earth dragon's gettin' too old for these lil' stunts... I ain't built for this." Carefully, he let go of the Pillar with his hands, and pushed off with his feet, falling out to the side for a long moment before righting himself as he too, glided down.

They'd barely touched down - with relief fairly evident on the older wildclaw's face - when Hayate was upon them. His expression was blank, but rigid. His eyebrows were pulled down in a concerned line.

"The other guards told me you know about a way into the Pillar, Sheriff. Is this true?"

Sheriff Nondey felt Meredian's eyes bore into him - at the sharp inhale of excitement. "Nondey, you do!?"

He felt panic well up in his chest, smothered by old bitterness and bad memories. When he turned his eyes back to Hayate, they were flinty and sharp. "Now, son, why would you want to know 'bout somethin' like that?"

Meanwhile...

Tarrey ran his claws through his mane, pearl sitting ignored at his feet. He couldn't believe what this dragon - Nabira - was telling him, though he knew she wasn't lying. He could see it in the serious, if not menacing, expression in her eyes, the scowl she wore as she bent forward over the marble counter a bit across the lair.

"You don't believe me." Her accusation was simple.

Tarrey immediately shook his head, and raised his hands in defense, cringing when his shoulder twinged involuntarily. "No, no- I didn't say that. It's just... a lot to take in." He paused, and ran his hands down his cheeks and over his eyes. "You're telling me that this place is somewhere that was only supposed to exist in hatchling stories and old rhymes."

"The Catacombs, Tarrey. An old world as old as the Deities themselves, hidden away from everything. The supposed paradise beneath the planet's crust."

"And... your clan has been trapped here?"

"No."

Tarrey's frown deepened. Then what had she meant by escape? "Then....?"

"I live down here. Others live down here. It is not easy."

They lapsed into silence for a while. After a bit, Nabira approached Tarrey again, linen bandages in hand. He said nothing as she drew his arm into a secure sling. She glanced at his pearl, and he drew it subconsciously closer to himself. She snorted, and stepped away.

"You should find some way to carry that without hindering yourself down here. I... assume you cannot be without it. I've never seen a pearlcatcher - ...ah. Without one."

Tarrey was quiet, but he nodded. After a long moment more, he voiced another question, quieter. "Nabira... what is this It that you mentioned...?"

Nabira's eyes grew steely and cold, and she coiled around herself until she was almost in a knot, looking away. "An awful monster," she muttered. "One that kills, and cannot be killed. A Devourer."

"...Devourer?"

"It consumes the light, and leaves behind dark and decay." She turned to look at him. "Your magic is powerful and bright. Stay away from it. It will consume you, too."

'What happened here?' Tarrey thought. 'Me too? Are... were there other dragons?'

She sighed, and shook her head, looking at him wryly. "I will find a carrying...something, for your pearl. And then we will go up, and hunt. ...And I will show you this world."

Tarrey blinked as she began rummaging around the lair. He... hadn't really expected to get essentially adopted by this arcane-born dragon. But he wasn't about to pass it up. Tarrey had survived down here in the Dark World - the Catacombs, for this long, but how long was that luck going to hold out? Standing up and helping Nabira look, he smiled.

He didn't know what would come of it - or if he could even trust Nabira - but for now... the pearlcatcher would welcome this unlikely alliance.

---

We've learned a little bit about Nabira, and Tarrey's found himself a partnership of mutual benefit not unlike Dia and Hayate! And we've also learned a bit more about something going on in the Catacombs - could this be why no explorer has ever found the Catacombs or returned to tell the tale? And just what does Nondey have to do with the Pillar of the World - and where does this entrance he found into it lead? We'll find out soon, see you next time!

~ There was definitely a pinglist here ~

@Legetha
Thank you! I'm pretty excited about Nabira myself - she's already proving to be an interesting character in what I'm learning about her as I write. It's very fun. She's definitely picking the story up!

@Petall
Right? I'm so glad that I rolled to be able to get her, because she's just what the story needed to get it's butt up and move along! Honestly, I really wanted/needed a dragon to join Tarrey to continue his half of the story thus far, so this seriously worked out. We'll definitely learn more about Nabira soon!
@Legetha
Thank you! I'm pretty excited about Nabira myself - she's already proving to be an interesting character in what I'm learning about her as I write. It's very fun. She's definitely picking the story up!

@Petall
Right? I'm so glad that I rolled to be able to get her, because she's just what the story needed to get it's butt up and move along! Honestly, I really wanted/needed a dragon to join Tarrey to continue his half of the story thus far, so this seriously worked out. We'll definitely learn more about Nabira soon!
@Artificiary

Oh my goodness, reading Dia's flight is so exhilarating!!! I feel so happy for her!!! Once again, this is so well written, I love it!
@Artificiary

Oh my goodness, reading Dia's flight is so exhilarating!!! I feel so happy for her!!! Once again, this is so well written, I love it!
@Artificiary

Oh dude please ping me! I love the 'Locke !!!
@Artificiary

Oh dude please ping me! I love the 'Locke !!!
9P7od2r.gifD3EnY5k.jpgNATURE*DOM0YHwyMk.png
1 2 3 4 5