Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Interest Check: Writing School
1 2 3
@Drusha

i dont think this would treated as a professional setting, but rather good tips passed down by other experienced writers. i dont think its supposed to be teaching you how to be a good author or how to write for a living, but more so helpful tips for starting writers who just wanted to write good lore or good rp replies. writing of course helps the most, but still, tips and advice has always been good for writers/artists/etc, wouldnt you spend some time reading something if it was helpful to you ? i dont think its going to be used to mold a persons writing style to be like the teacher, but rather a way to guide them down a good path.

also towards the op, id love to apply for a teacher role ! i can do character design, how to write lgbt/mentally ill/characters of color (without it being offensive)!
@Drusha

i dont think this would treated as a professional setting, but rather good tips passed down by other experienced writers. i dont think its supposed to be teaching you how to be a good author or how to write for a living, but more so helpful tips for starting writers who just wanted to write good lore or good rp replies. writing of course helps the most, but still, tips and advice has always been good for writers/artists/etc, wouldnt you spend some time reading something if it was helpful to you ? i dont think its going to be used to mold a persons writing style to be like the teacher, but rather a way to guide them down a good path.

also towards the op, id love to apply for a teacher role ! i can do character design, how to write lgbt/mentally ill/characters of color (without it being offensive)!
moonlitcrow_cicero.gif ursula | 22 | FR +0
~ art shop
~ sales thread
it was the paying part that gets me the most @avianmalware . If you are paying them then they are producing a product or doing a service. I am not sure that giving a few tips and a friendly review is a service. Honestly it feels that it would be better to be a mentor ship rather then a teacher student role.

honestly I asked a little advice earlier in my writing career. But dozens of stories later, several dozen poems, at least five hundred characters and a couple hundred rpg threads later I found that the best teacher was not as much some advice but was working with and rpging with more experienced rpgers with well developed characters. As well as reading hundreds of books from authors who knew what they were doing. I am a very different writer then when I first started. But while people are now using ME as a base of what they see as a 'good rpgist' or a person who has 'well developed' characters I am always setting my bar higher.

tips I am happy to give. A mentor at times but also still a student. There is always someone better and I still dream of being as 'good as' some of my favorite rpg partners.

I can play males as easily as females, I can play straight as easily as lesbian. I can rpg just about anything and my tales are growing even more complex.

My current project is the tales of the Courtier.

However honestly if you are going to be charging ANYONE a fee or payment then they should be able to get something out of it. Which means it is in effect a professional setting with defined roles.

This is just my personal views. And partly I am playing the devil's advocate to be honest and pointing out possible flaws or weakness so that the idea and project succeeds.
it was the paying part that gets me the most @avianmalware . If you are paying them then they are producing a product or doing a service. I am not sure that giving a few tips and a friendly review is a service. Honestly it feels that it would be better to be a mentor ship rather then a teacher student role.

honestly I asked a little advice earlier in my writing career. But dozens of stories later, several dozen poems, at least five hundred characters and a couple hundred rpg threads later I found that the best teacher was not as much some advice but was working with and rpging with more experienced rpgers with well developed characters. As well as reading hundreds of books from authors who knew what they were doing. I am a very different writer then when I first started. But while people are now using ME as a base of what they see as a 'good rpgist' or a person who has 'well developed' characters I am always setting my bar higher.

tips I am happy to give. A mentor at times but also still a student. There is always someone better and I still dream of being as 'good as' some of my favorite rpg partners.

I can play males as easily as females, I can play straight as easily as lesbian. I can rpg just about anything and my tales are growing even more complex.

My current project is the tales of the Courtier.

However honestly if you are going to be charging ANYONE a fee or payment then they should be able to get something out of it. Which means it is in effect a professional setting with defined roles.

This is just my personal views. And partly I am playing the devil's advocate to be honest and pointing out possible flaws or weakness so that the idea and project succeeds.
@Drusha

ah i see, does this really require payment ? cause then i can see why you would say this, definitely a literal professional would be a better tutor.

though people do learn and work differently, and so there will be those who like a lot of advice and some who don't. i typically am in between both.

also i hope you don't take any of my words as an attack on you, i just wanted to explain my thoughts on how this might work or how its going to be. the success of this is up to debate, but it doesnt hurt to try and see how it'll turn out. im more so interested in the results than anything.
@Drusha

ah i see, does this really require payment ? cause then i can see why you would say this, definitely a literal professional would be a better tutor.

though people do learn and work differently, and so there will be those who like a lot of advice and some who don't. i typically am in between both.

also i hope you don't take any of my words as an attack on you, i just wanted to explain my thoughts on how this might work or how its going to be. the success of this is up to debate, but it doesnt hurt to try and see how it'll turn out. im more so interested in the results than anything.
moonlitcrow_cicero.gif ursula | 22 | FR +0
~ art shop
~ sales thread
@avianmalware

In the first post fees and payment is broached in the idea. So I was zeroing in on that as a strong flaw that most likely would be problematic in the foundation of the idea.

That plus the language of 'teacher,' 'student', 'classes', and the teachers providing references all give the appearance of this being showed as a more professional idea. Now some of that is most likely just using a familiar body of knowledge. After all pretty much no one has not have at least SOME time in school.

I am not trying to nit pick and honestly this could mostly just be well a person using a model that they are familiar with. But I would personally advise that no payments are asked for or taken on behalf of teacher or thread holder.

Using a mentor mentee model would be almost identical to the teacher student but would well remove about 70% of the potential problems.

Now I get that a person is creating and grading an assignment which is work. But doing it pro bono would be more ethically sound.

and *smiles and laughs* I still pester and ask for advice of my favored rp pals that have great characters. Honestly I spent literally 3ish years forcing myself ot mature as a writer before I approached a particular person to rp with them. As they are one of the best I have ever worked with.

That is just how I learn. And I have conscripted many people to look over my writing over time.

I don't take your works as an attack. Nor do I want mine taken as one. This idea would be a decent meeting spot for people who enjoy writing to meet. And I am just picking out possible problems so that they can be headed off at the pass... better that you have a plan to deal with such situations then finding out the kitchen is on fire and you have nothing to put it out with.
@avianmalware

In the first post fees and payment is broached in the idea. So I was zeroing in on that as a strong flaw that most likely would be problematic in the foundation of the idea.

That plus the language of 'teacher,' 'student', 'classes', and the teachers providing references all give the appearance of this being showed as a more professional idea. Now some of that is most likely just using a familiar body of knowledge. After all pretty much no one has not have at least SOME time in school.

I am not trying to nit pick and honestly this could mostly just be well a person using a model that they are familiar with. But I would personally advise that no payments are asked for or taken on behalf of teacher or thread holder.

Using a mentor mentee model would be almost identical to the teacher student but would well remove about 70% of the potential problems.

Now I get that a person is creating and grading an assignment which is work. But doing it pro bono would be more ethically sound.

and *smiles and laughs* I still pester and ask for advice of my favored rp pals that have great characters. Honestly I spent literally 3ish years forcing myself ot mature as a writer before I approached a particular person to rp with them. As they are one of the best I have ever worked with.

That is just how I learn. And I have conscripted many people to look over my writing over time.

I don't take your works as an attack. Nor do I want mine taken as one. This idea would be a decent meeting spot for people who enjoy writing to meet. And I am just picking out possible problems so that they can be headed off at the pass... better that you have a plan to deal with such situations then finding out the kitchen is on fire and you have nothing to put it out with.
1 2 3