Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Improvement/Opinions? (REDONE: 8/14)
1 2
@Gem4567 Oh hey! Thanks for the ping, I'd be happy to offer a critique :3 Sometimes it's hard for me to properly articulate what I'm thinking so please don't hesitate to lemme know if something didn't come out right or doesn't make sense DX

Some things have been said already, so apologies for just echoing those in this first paragraph haha. She needs more top to her head, that way it doesn't look like the part in her hair is dipping down into her skull. I always make sure I get the shape of the head down before drawing in the hair (in most cases the eyes should be the half-way marker - there should be just as much space from the eyes to the top of the head as there is from the eyes to the chin), so essentially I draw everyone bald first. When you have your underlying shapes drawn first it's much easier to add on top of that and keep things looking proportionate~

As for the facial proportions, I think this really comes down more to style. Since this is literally your first real attempt at a human, you will definitely have to come into your own style. As of now I'm seeing realistic influences for the hair and eyes, and more of a cartoon/anime influence for the nose. It is definitely okay to have a style that mashes other styles together, but I suspect it will take some time to get things down how you like them and experiment with how you portray them. It always takes time (my noses have evolved dramatically over just the past year or so haha) so I suppose patience is just the key here!

And now just for some preference critique, which certainly you don't have to take to heart:
I always find that defining the lower lashes on eyes makes them stick out too much? It makes me feel like the person in the drawing is wearing heavy mascara haha. For really lashy eyes I try to simplify - on my females I'll have a few long wisps coming out from the corners, but that's about it. If they're wearing makeup I might do one or two tiny bottom lashes. I think the heavy emphasis on the eyelashes definitely lends to a more realistic style, whereas if you're going for a more illustrated look, simplicity is always better :3 I'd say the same with the hair. It's always better to just outline the basic shapes with fewer lines rather than fill in all the strands. Simple can look nice too!

For not having drawn humans much, you are definitely at a great starting point. I can really see that you have potential - it's just all about honing skills and always will be with art X3 (Ah the good ol' artist life lolol). Please continue and do absorb as many references and tutorials as you can. Maybe look at some of your favorite artists' styles and pick what you like best about them. Don't be afraid to be inspired by them and maybe even emulate a few for practice then work on developing a unique style unto yourself. Again, this will take time, but it's definitely something to strive for~
@Gem4567 Oh hey! Thanks for the ping, I'd be happy to offer a critique :3 Sometimes it's hard for me to properly articulate what I'm thinking so please don't hesitate to lemme know if something didn't come out right or doesn't make sense DX

Some things have been said already, so apologies for just echoing those in this first paragraph haha. She needs more top to her head, that way it doesn't look like the part in her hair is dipping down into her skull. I always make sure I get the shape of the head down before drawing in the hair (in most cases the eyes should be the half-way marker - there should be just as much space from the eyes to the top of the head as there is from the eyes to the chin), so essentially I draw everyone bald first. When you have your underlying shapes drawn first it's much easier to add on top of that and keep things looking proportionate~

As for the facial proportions, I think this really comes down more to style. Since this is literally your first real attempt at a human, you will definitely have to come into your own style. As of now I'm seeing realistic influences for the hair and eyes, and more of a cartoon/anime influence for the nose. It is definitely okay to have a style that mashes other styles together, but I suspect it will take some time to get things down how you like them and experiment with how you portray them. It always takes time (my noses have evolved dramatically over just the past year or so haha) so I suppose patience is just the key here!

And now just for some preference critique, which certainly you don't have to take to heart:
I always find that defining the lower lashes on eyes makes them stick out too much? It makes me feel like the person in the drawing is wearing heavy mascara haha. For really lashy eyes I try to simplify - on my females I'll have a few long wisps coming out from the corners, but that's about it. If they're wearing makeup I might do one or two tiny bottom lashes. I think the heavy emphasis on the eyelashes definitely lends to a more realistic style, whereas if you're going for a more illustrated look, simplicity is always better :3 I'd say the same with the hair. It's always better to just outline the basic shapes with fewer lines rather than fill in all the strands. Simple can look nice too!

For not having drawn humans much, you are definitely at a great starting point. I can really see that you have potential - it's just all about honing skills and always will be with art X3 (Ah the good ol' artist life lolol). Please continue and do absorb as many references and tutorials as you can. Maybe look at some of your favorite artists' styles and pick what you like best about them. Don't be afraid to be inspired by them and maybe even emulate a few for practice then work on developing a unique style unto yourself. Again, this will take time, but it's definitely something to strive for~
AceNoc_2.png
Howdy, my name is Ace!
They/Them, He/Him

• Artist
• Old and Tired™
• Might take a bit to respond but pings and PMs are always welcome!
@Kyreesha
@Eren
@Tzarholm
@AceZaslavky
@Renepol
@bekavujic
@Renepolumorfous
@cloudnine
@CoolPepCat

Sorry if you don't want to be pinged!!!

I have redone my gijinka per everyone's critiques! Please take a look at the original post below the (EDIT:1 - 8/14) sign~ Thank you!
@Kyreesha
@Eren
@Tzarholm
@AceZaslavky
@Renepol
@bekavujic
@Renepolumorfous
@cloudnine
@CoolPepCat

Sorry if you don't want to be pinged!!!

I have redone my gijinka per everyone's critiques! Please take a look at the original post below the (EDIT:1 - 8/14) sign~ Thank you!
ayKiswc.gif0XLE43P.gif
Repinging because apparently FR glitched and a friend told me they didn't get a ping~
@Kyreesha
@Eren
@Tzarholm
@AceZaslavky
@Renepol
@bekavujic
@Renepolumorfous
@cloudnine
@CoolPepCat
Repinging because apparently FR glitched and a friend told me they didn't get a ping~
@Kyreesha
@Eren
@Tzarholm
@AceZaslavky
@Renepol
@bekavujic
@Renepolumorfous
@cloudnine
@CoolPepCat
ayKiswc.gif0XLE43P.gif
1 2