Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | How do you get motivation to write?
1 2
@Slyphire

I'm sorry, I only skimmed, I did not read all, so hopefully what I say isn't too much of a repeat of the others!

But mostly: You can't always wait for motivation. *I KNOW someone else said that point, at least!* Sometimes you just have to sit and write. Another Nuzlocker *don't remember who, but one of them!* had stated that a friend once told them "You write just as well on your bad days as you do on your good. It's just the way you feel about it that changes." Basically, even if you're not feeling it, that doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't write.

For myself, in order to make it past points that I have me stuck, I go and I daydream out my story. I just sit back and imagine it playing out in my head like a movie. Don't know how a scene should go? Sit back and watch it play out many different ways. Not certain what a character is about to do? Think of it like a movie, just let anything happen in my mind and see where it leads to. I repeat the process a few times, usually bringing in different dialogue, or watching the characters take different actions, until one either seems more interesting to me or else seems more like what the character does, and then I don't focus on writing so much as I focus on just watching that visual play out in my head and write down what I'm seeing happen.

I'm not certain how well that exact suggestion works for others, but I can say that it's been years since I've suffered writer's block, because even if I don't know what should happen in a story, I've never had a moment when the characters in my head just stop responding. It's just a matter of me realizing that I need to stop thinking about the moment as 'What should I write next?' and more as 'Okay, guys, let me watch what you do.'

Mostly, though, you just gotta sit and do it!
@Slyphire

I'm sorry, I only skimmed, I did not read all, so hopefully what I say isn't too much of a repeat of the others!

But mostly: You can't always wait for motivation. *I KNOW someone else said that point, at least!* Sometimes you just have to sit and write. Another Nuzlocker *don't remember who, but one of them!* had stated that a friend once told them "You write just as well on your bad days as you do on your good. It's just the way you feel about it that changes." Basically, even if you're not feeling it, that doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't write.

For myself, in order to make it past points that I have me stuck, I go and I daydream out my story. I just sit back and imagine it playing out in my head like a movie. Don't know how a scene should go? Sit back and watch it play out many different ways. Not certain what a character is about to do? Think of it like a movie, just let anything happen in my mind and see where it leads to. I repeat the process a few times, usually bringing in different dialogue, or watching the characters take different actions, until one either seems more interesting to me or else seems more like what the character does, and then I don't focus on writing so much as I focus on just watching that visual play out in my head and write down what I'm seeing happen.

I'm not certain how well that exact suggestion works for others, but I can say that it's been years since I've suffered writer's block, because even if I don't know what should happen in a story, I've never had a moment when the characters in my head just stop responding. It's just a matter of me realizing that I need to stop thinking about the moment as 'What should I write next?' and more as 'Okay, guys, let me watch what you do.'

Mostly, though, you just gotta sit and do it!
tumblr_inline_nj4elzHhMA1rud3n2.png
Banner made by dragonicmaster
1 2