Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Rockbreaker's Ceremony 2020
1 2 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 39 40
[center] [img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/oummgrma2dntglw/earthtop.png[/img] [size=7][color=Saddlebrown]Happy Rockbreaker's Ceremony![/color][/size] [img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ed14j4hr5jhxspv/earthbottom.png[/img] [/center]
earthtop.png
Happy Rockbreaker's Ceremony!
earthbottom.png
cbQdPvX.png
Oh snap!
Oh snap!
w33CcwM.pngEfr5bPb.pngv2WpsKj.pngoNi4OTA.png8r7mgXQ.png
@vinevox
hi. I am a native, and I thank you for your concern over native culture,

I ask kindly, Please be cautious to avoid committing cultural silencing when worried about Cultural appropriation.

Please understand the dark history behind silencing of native culture and its history in The United states.

This silencing that was committed by the united states government against native peoples, is alive today in several ways, but one of those ways is socially (between people), under the disguise of "stopping cultural appropriation".
while helping in some places, it has also caused a great deal of harm in many cultures that people mistakenly feel they need to "protect" too much.

There are many who do not realize in modern social attempts to stop cultural appropriation, people actually have killed businesses owned by people from the culture they're trying to protect which contributes to the poverty among indigenous groups, and even assisted in the loss of languages and representation in Media for indigenous people, by telling people they cant participate in that culture or wear/do things from that culture, draw people from that culture, or speak words and names from that culture or preventing them from innocently taking part in folklore from that culture.

This kind of silencing can lead to cultures going extinct.
Such as mine. where the language is endangered and considered nearly extinct, only 150 people in the entire planet earth out of 7 billion, speak the language. (Thanks to ongoing language warrior projects the language this number is slowly increasing.)

People outside of native groups, can help Native cultures survive, by learning native words, symbols, legends, and folklore, and help educate others on these things origins, and not silencing them.

At the same time People can still help stop bad native cultural appropriation by recognizing when the appropriation is negative and benefits someone: like disrespectful inaccurate costumes and bad sports team names, for example, and then help make a change for the better with these things by not supporting those companies and organizations.

Txin qaĝ̂aasakuqing, means, I thank you.
@vinevox
hi. I am a native, and I thank you for your concern over native culture,

I ask kindly, Please be cautious to avoid committing cultural silencing when worried about Cultural appropriation.

Please understand the dark history behind silencing of native culture and its history in The United states.

This silencing that was committed by the united states government against native peoples, is alive today in several ways, but one of those ways is socially (between people), under the disguise of "stopping cultural appropriation".
while helping in some places, it has also caused a great deal of harm in many cultures that people mistakenly feel they need to "protect" too much.

There are many who do not realize in modern social attempts to stop cultural appropriation, people actually have killed businesses owned by people from the culture they're trying to protect which contributes to the poverty among indigenous groups, and even assisted in the loss of languages and representation in Media for indigenous people, by telling people they cant participate in that culture or wear/do things from that culture, draw people from that culture, or speak words and names from that culture or preventing them from innocently taking part in folklore from that culture.

This kind of silencing can lead to cultures going extinct.
Such as mine. where the language is endangered and considered nearly extinct, only 150 people in the entire planet earth out of 7 billion, speak the language. (Thanks to ongoing language warrior projects the language this number is slowly increasing.)

People outside of native groups, can help Native cultures survive, by learning native words, symbols, legends, and folklore, and help educate others on these things origins, and not silencing them.

At the same time People can still help stop bad native cultural appropriation by recognizing when the appropriation is negative and benefits someone: like disrespectful inaccurate costumes and bad sports team names, for example, and then help make a change for the better with these things by not supporting those companies and organizations.

Txin qaĝ̂aasakuqing, means, I thank you.
A dragon dressed up as bubbles and fish that has a Bio full of lesser known tips and tricks to Flight Rising
@Kapow Hey! Thank you for the explanation (and also for tagging me instead of just quoting w/o doing so, so I could see what was said). I understand and appreciate the explanation, I'm busy so I can't say much in response but I will keep what you said in mind and apply it in the future [emoji=familiar heart size=1] I'm still learning how to be better at recognizing when things like this are helpful vs when they're hurtful, and your insight really helps.
@Kapow Hey! Thank you for the explanation (and also for tagging me instead of just quoting w/o doing so, so I could see what was said).

I understand and appreciate the explanation, I'm busy so I can't say much in response but I will keep what you said in mind and apply it in the future I'm still learning how to be better at recognizing when things like this are helpful vs when they're hurtful, and your insight really helps.
dQUNkY4.png
Oh I love these so much
Oh I love these so much
@vinevox I wanna clarify, I'm pretty sure the culture they based this off is long dead. I might be wrong, but most sources I look up seem to indicate that. If there's people living there now, I don't know if they apply any cultural relevance of the Nazca culture to their own.
@vinevox I wanna clarify, I'm pretty sure the culture they based this off is long dead. I might be wrong, but most sources I look up seem to indicate that. If there's people living there now, I don't know if they apply any cultural relevance of the Nazca culture to their own.
@JayJem Thanks for sharing! I didn't add much to my initial post bc I was initially pretty annoyed, I didn't leave it as vague merely to be inflammatory or anything of the sort but I realize how obnoxious I came off now, so I've deleted the post too. I've seen plenty of people from Native American cultures in the past that were upset over artists that used designs of a similar nature when not Native American themselves, though I don't know how to find them again because some of them were off site threads earlier this year. That's why I initially said something at all.

I do appreciate knowing more though, while I'm still learning I sometimes don't know where to look or don't realize I have enough info to form an opinion on the issue itself.
@JayJem Thanks for sharing! I didn't add much to my initial post bc I was initially pretty annoyed, I didn't leave it as vague merely to be inflammatory or anything of the sort but I realize how obnoxious I came off now, so I've deleted the post too. I've seen plenty of people from Native American cultures in the past that were upset over artists that used designs of a similar nature when not Native American themselves, though I don't know how to find them again because some of them were off site threads earlier this year. That's why I initially said something at all.

I do appreciate knowing more though, while I'm still learning I sometimes don't know where to look or don't realize I have enough info to form an opinion on the issue itself.
dQUNkY4.png
@vinevox You're alright! I think this sorta thing has been really ingrained in a lot of us, especially recently. It's alright to call things out, but with all the importance people have stressed on callout culture recently, people often jump the gun. I've seen some of the hurt that impulsiveness has brought about, so I get a little defensive sometimes, but it's not your fault at all! And I can see why you were suspicious. It definitely does look like cultural appropriation at first glance.

Also I'm sorry if I came off as accusatory or rude at first because of that, so I'll delete my first post too!

Anyway, I really appreciate the apology and am relieved you were mainly well-intentioned. Sometimes, that's not always the case, but it's a real refreshing thing to see. I know there's definitely a problem with cultural appropriation of Native American culture, which is why I wanted to look into it as well (I was ready to believe you when I started searching), so I'm also relieved that that wasn't actually the case!

Again, I don't know everything about what it was based on either, so I'm happy I got to learn a thing or two as well in the process. I literally had to search for the creator's original post to see what it was based on haha.. But it seems like a really cool archaeological wonder, so now I'm both relieved and interested.
@vinevox You're alright! I think this sorta thing has been really ingrained in a lot of us, especially recently. It's alright to call things out, but with all the importance people have stressed on callout culture recently, people often jump the gun. I've seen some of the hurt that impulsiveness has brought about, so I get a little defensive sometimes, but it's not your fault at all! And I can see why you were suspicious. It definitely does look like cultural appropriation at first glance.

Also I'm sorry if I came off as accusatory or rude at first because of that, so I'll delete my first post too!

Anyway, I really appreciate the apology and am relieved you were mainly well-intentioned. Sometimes, that's not always the case, but it's a real refreshing thing to see. I know there's definitely a problem with cultural appropriation of Native American culture, which is why I wanted to look into it as well (I was ready to believe you when I started searching), so I'm also relieved that that wasn't actually the case!

Again, I don't know everything about what it was based on either, so I'm happy I got to learn a thing or two as well in the process. I literally had to search for the creator's original post to see what it was based on haha.. But it seems like a really cool archaeological wonder, so now I'm both relieved and interested.
Wow all the skins/accents are absolutely gorgeous, grats to the artists yall outdid yourselves
Wow all the skins/accents are absolutely gorgeous, grats to the artists yall outdid yourselves
furry_fiddle.png
Happy Rockbreaker's!! Congrats to all the skin winners - they all look so lovely! :D I love the apparel piece, and that scenery is a really fun easter egg. A 4th ancient??? Ohoho.
Happy Rockbreaker's!! Congrats to all the skin winners - they all look so lovely! :D I love the apparel piece, and that scenery is a really fun easter egg. A 4th ancient??? Ohoho.
9e097c444fe8d070996db823c25ad26a13f96fe9.png
1 2 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 39 40