Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [GG] Cryptid Cooking Contest
1 2 3 4 5
Name of Dish: Tangy Vegetable Salad Category: GLADEVEINS UNICORN Recipe: [url=https://imgur.com/EkU4LWQ][img]http://i.imgur.com/EkU4LWQm.jpg[/img][/url] [Columns] For the Salad 1 cup sliced broccoli or cauliflower florets 1 cup cherry tomatoes 1 large carrot, cut into sticks 2 yellow squash or 1 small zucchini, cut 1/4 cup sliced Celery [nextcol]For The Marinade 1/2 cup vinegar (I used white wine) 1/2 cup olive oil 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or coriander 1 Tbspn sugar 2 Tbspns finely chopped fresh dill/2tspns dried dill 1/2 tspn salt 1/4 tspn pepper[/columns] Combine all salad ingredients in a large ziploc bag. Combine all marinade ingredients in a screwtop jar and shake well. Pour marinade into bag with vegetables, seal and place in the fridge for 8 hours/overnight, turning periodically to ensure all vegetables absorb the flavours Use a slotted spoon to transfer vegetables to the serving bowl. Note: I often cook the cauliflower/broccoli/carrot, just a little bit, first, so they are still crunchy, but not quite as hard as when raw. Why will the Cryptid you chose prefer this dish? Because it's pretty, it's easy, it's fresh and tangy and flavoursome and healthy!
Name of Dish: Tangy Vegetable Salad
Category: GLADEVEINS UNICORN
Recipe: EkU4LWQm.jpg
For the Salad
1 cup sliced broccoli or cauliflower florets
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 large carrot, cut into sticks
2 yellow squash or 1 small zucchini, cut
1/4 cup sliced Celery
For The Marinade
1/2 cup vinegar (I used white wine)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or coriander
1 Tbspn sugar
2 Tbspns finely chopped fresh dill/2tspns dried dill
1/2 tspn salt
1/4 tspn pepper
Combine all salad ingredients in a large ziploc bag.
Combine all marinade ingredients in a screwtop jar and shake well.
Pour marinade into bag with vegetables, seal and place in the fridge for 8 hours/overnight, turning periodically to ensure all vegetables absorb the flavours
Use a slotted spoon to transfer vegetables to the serving bowl.

Note: I often cook the cauliflower/broccoli/carrot, just a little bit, first, so they are still crunchy, but not quite as hard as when raw.

Why will the Cryptid you chose prefer this dish?
Because it's pretty, it's easy, it's fresh and tangy and flavoursome and healthy!
Ink wash brush-style art of three red and gold Wildclaws performing a dragon dance with a green Auraboa puppet, with text for Nature's Year of the Wood Dragon push. D9tBovl.png w8o0xW1.png
Name of Dish: Honey Oat Bars Category: VIRIDIAN BIG-FOOTED APE Recipe: [url=https://imgur.com/xIs2CNt][img]http://i.imgur.com/xIs2CNtm.jpg[/img][/url] 1/4 cup dried apricots 1 cup rolled oats 1/2 cup sultanas 1 Tbspn honey 1/2 cup wholemeal self raising flour 1/2 cup raw sugar 1/2 cup coconut 5 oz butter Combine all dry ingredients Melt butter, add honey and mix into dry ingredients. Press into greased brownie tin, bake in mod oven for 15-20 mins until golden. Cut while hot, remove from tin when cold Why will the Cryptid you chose prefer this dish? This is simple and easy to make, and I'm thinking about what ingredients are easily accessible in the wild. This has lots of sweet fruits and yummy yummy honey (I really did want a recipe with honey, I believe that this has got to be a favourite of the Viridian Big Footed Ape). The beauty of this recipe is that you can feel indulgant by thinking about the sugary fruits and honey, and fatty butter, or you can feel virtuous by looking at the fibre in the oats and wholemeal flour and nutritious fruit.
Name of Dish: Honey Oat Bars
Category: VIRIDIAN BIG-FOOTED APE
Recipe:
xIs2CNtm.jpg
1/4 cup dried apricots
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup sultanas
1 Tbspn honey
1/2 cup wholemeal self raising flour
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup coconut
5 oz butter

Combine all dry ingredients
Melt butter, add honey and mix into dry ingredients.
Press into greased brownie tin, bake in mod oven for 15-20 mins until golden.
Cut while hot, remove from tin when cold

This is simple and easy to make, and I'm thinking about what ingredients are easily accessible in the wild. This has lots of sweet fruits and yummy yummy honey (I really did want a recipe with honey, I believe that this has got to be a favourite of the Viridian Big Footed Ape).
The beauty of this recipe is that you can feel indulgant by thinking about the sugary fruits and honey, and fatty butter, or you can feel virtuous by looking at the fibre in the oats and wholemeal flour and nutritious fruit.
Ink wash brush-style art of three red and gold Wildclaws performing a dragon dance with a green Auraboa puppet, with text for Nature's Year of the Wood Dragon push. D9tBovl.png w8o0xW1.png
Name of Dish: Cryptid Protein Plate and Spicy Wedges Category: PYGMY DRAGON Recipe: [url=https://imgur.com/XkcQBb6][img]http://i.imgur.com/XkcQBb6m.jpg[/img][/url] This isn't really an official recipe, but here goes ~150g Kangaroo steak ~50g mushrooms 1 large potato Olive oil Spices to taste - eg all purpose seasoning, salt, pepper, harissa blend, paprika, chilli powder etc Butter 1 clove garlic Cut the potato in half lengthways and then into wedges. Put some olive oil into a small bowl and add spices, mix. Add wedges to coat, then spread in a single layer on a baking tray. Roast for ~20 minutes, turning at about 15mins. Slice the mushrooms, fry in butter and garlic until nicely cooked. Cut the steak into the thinnest slices you can manage. This is usually easiest if you do it while it's half frozen. Season. When the potatoes and mushrooms are cooked, place the 'roo slices into hot pan, one by one. Immediately turn over. Immediately serve. Why will the Cryptid you chose prefer this dish? MMMMM protein! Kangaroo steak is really high in protein, and low in fat - one of the healthiest meats around. Because of this, however, it can get dry/tough when cooked - by cooking it like this you'll end up with beautiful tender meat every time. Served with garlic mushrooms (more protein, extra flavour) and spicy wedges (every dragon loves a bit of extra spice) and it's a dish made in Pygmy Dragon heaven.
Name of Dish: Cryptid Protein Plate and Spicy Wedges
Category: PYGMY DRAGON
Recipe:
XkcQBb6m.jpg

This isn't really an official recipe, but here goes
~150g Kangaroo steak
~50g mushrooms
1 large potato
Olive oil
Spices to taste - eg all purpose seasoning, salt, pepper, harissa blend, paprika, chilli powder etc
Butter
1 clove garlic

Cut the potato in half lengthways and then into wedges.
Put some olive oil into a small bowl and add spices, mix.
Add wedges to coat, then spread in a single layer on a baking tray.
Roast for ~20 minutes, turning at about 15mins.

Slice the mushrooms, fry in butter and garlic until nicely cooked.

Cut the steak into the thinnest slices you can manage. This is usually easiest if you do it while it's half frozen. Season.

When the potatoes and mushrooms are cooked, place the 'roo slices into hot pan, one by one. Immediately turn over. Immediately serve.

MMMMM protein!
Kangaroo steak is really high in protein, and low in fat - one of the healthiest meats around. Because of this, however, it can get dry/tough when cooked - by cooking it like this you'll end up with beautiful tender meat every time.
Served with garlic mushrooms (more protein, extra flavour) and spicy wedges (every dragon loves a bit of extra spice) and it's a dish made in Pygmy Dragon heaven.
@Tyta - and I'm done!! Whew, that is pushing it, timewise!

Still don't know whether I should have entered my banana choc chip loaf instead, but hey.

Enjoy the recipes!
@Tyta - and I'm done!! Whew, that is pushing it, timewise!

Still don't know whether I should have entered my banana choc chip loaf instead, but hey.

Enjoy the recipes!
@Eialyne

Oh, thank you! They're easy to make, although a little time consuming if you are grating everything by hand. A side-note on my recipe for the zucchini ones - make sure to squeeze out ALL the moisture, unlike I did, because that will leave them slightly soggy.

All you entries look really good and are super creative (those Bigfoot cookies <3)! I'm very, very tempted by the salmon!
@Eialyne

Oh, thank you! They're easy to make, although a little time consuming if you are grating everything by hand. A side-note on my recipe for the zucchini ones - make sure to squeeze out ALL the moisture, unlike I did, because that will leave them slightly soggy.

All you entries look really good and are super creative (those Bigfoot cookies <3)! I'm very, very tempted by the salmon!

Used to be GeriVl of the Lightning Flight
WvWPineappleGeriVI.png
Used to be GeriVl of the Lightning Flight
@Goldia Cutting it close there! Everything looks great.

Judging will take a few days at the most, so everyone sit tight. Feel free to discuss each other's recipes! :D
@Goldia Cutting it close there! Everything looks great.

Judging will take a few days at the most, so everyone sit tight. Feel free to discuss each other's recipes! :D
1fTWTjV.png
@tyta - yeah I know, sorry about that. I was also doing things for the Real Life Scavenger Hunt, so was madly trying to get all my photos done, and almost forgot to allow time to type up the recipes - there's a couple of the items for the RLSH I just never got to!
@tyta - yeah I know, sorry about that. I was also doing things for the Real Life Scavenger Hunt, so was madly trying to get all my photos done, and almost forgot to allow time to type up the recipes - there's a couple of the items for the RLSH I just never got to!
I always love the real life scavenger hunt - I wish I could've done it this year. Alas!
I always love the real life scavenger hunt - I wish I could've done it this year. Alas!
1fTWTjV.png
@Eialyne I think I will make your Cryptid Cakes for a potluck tomorrow!
@Eialyne I think I will make your Cryptid Cakes for a potluck tomorrow!
tumblr_inline_nscdm3AKSx1r3h1o8_540.png
@CrystalBones

A fine choice! One batch of tea cakes cryptid cakes provides plenty of cookies for a potluck. If you do make them let me know if they turn out well for you :3
@CrystalBones

A fine choice! One batch of tea cakes cryptid cakes provides plenty of cookies for a potluck. If you do make them let me know if they turn out well for you :3
tumblr_ntxrqoqrD01sk2f1lo1_500.png
1 2 3 4 5