Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | lonely fandoms?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11
I'm curious about what small fandoms people are a part of, especially for books! Seriously in desperate need of some new reading materials, & I've read most of the uber popular series. So hmu with some recommendations and I'll check them out!

Along the same lines, has anyone else read the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix? I love those books but they haven't exactly caught on in the mainstream culture.

Current To-Read List:
- Artemis Fowl
- Myst (books + games)
- The Secret Series
- Carry On
- Raven Cycle
- Throne of Glass
- Fablehaven
- Dirk Gently
- Wayfarer's Redemption
- Keeper of the Lost Cities
- Legon Awakening
- The Goblin Emperor
- Fever Crumb
- Lost Souls, Drawing Blood, Wormwood
- Temeraire (series)
- The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet
- Petshop of Horrors
- everything Neil Gaiman has written, ever (esp: American Gods, Interworld, The Ocean at the End of the Lane)
- Adaptation, Inheritance
- Trying Human (webcomic)
- Wheel of Time
- The Cosmere/Brandon Sanderson
- Wolves Of The Beyond
- Guardians Of Ga'Hoole
- Virals
- Ratha's Creature
- The Guardian Herd
- The Tales of Goldstone Wood
- The Underland Chronicles
- A Choice With No Regrets
- Watership Down
- Uglies Series
- Vladimir Tod
- Red Rising
- Earth's Children
- Gone (series)
- The Knife of Never Letting Go
- Wings of Fire
- Leviathan (series)
- Shannara
I'm curious about what small fandoms people are a part of, especially for books! Seriously in desperate need of some new reading materials, & I've read most of the uber popular series. So hmu with some recommendations and I'll check them out!

Along the same lines, has anyone else read the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix? I love those books but they haven't exactly caught on in the mainstream culture.

Current To-Read List:
- Artemis Fowl
- Myst (books + games)
- The Secret Series
- Carry On
- Raven Cycle
- Throne of Glass
- Fablehaven
- Dirk Gently
- Wayfarer's Redemption
- Keeper of the Lost Cities
- Legon Awakening
- The Goblin Emperor
- Fever Crumb
- Lost Souls, Drawing Blood, Wormwood
- Temeraire (series)
- The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet
- Petshop of Horrors
- everything Neil Gaiman has written, ever (esp: American Gods, Interworld, The Ocean at the End of the Lane)
- Adaptation, Inheritance
- Trying Human (webcomic)
- Wheel of Time
- The Cosmere/Brandon Sanderson
- Wolves Of The Beyond
- Guardians Of Ga'Hoole
- Virals
- Ratha's Creature
- The Guardian Herd
- The Tales of Goldstone Wood
- The Underland Chronicles
- A Choice With No Regrets
- Watership Down
- Uglies Series
- Vladimir Tod
- Red Rising
- Earth's Children
- Gone (series)
- The Knife of Never Letting Go
- Wings of Fire
- Leviathan (series)
- Shannara
Mith Spellbook

they/them
- (fr +0) -
@egged Ah, I haven't read that series, but, The Inheritance Series is a face, I like the Artemis Fowl ones, though haven't read it in a few years. There's another but I can't remember the name >.> Gamewise, I frigging love The Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls, and never see much of either >:c
@egged Ah, I haven't read that series, but, The Inheritance Series is a face, I like the Artemis Fowl ones, though haven't read it in a few years. There's another but I can't remember the name >.> Gamewise, I frigging love The Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls, and never see much of either >:c
@eggod

I'm a huge fan of the Myst series, which has a cult following fandom. They're primarily a series of point-and-click adventure games from the 90s, but they also have three companion novels which are critical to understanding the entirety of the story and also really freaking good. I recommend the books as part of the experience for anyone interested in the games.

The story is that there was once an ancient civilization with the ability to travel to worlds they described in books. Until (spoiler) caused their civilization to collapse, and the the survivors scattered to the wind. The characters in the games are the human-mixed descendants of that civilization, and the novels go more into its backstory as well as that of the main character aside from yourself. In the game series, you have to use books to travel to different worlds and solve puzzles while piecing together story elements.
@eggod

I'm a huge fan of the Myst series, which has a cult following fandom. They're primarily a series of point-and-click adventure games from the 90s, but they also have three companion novels which are critical to understanding the entirety of the story and also really freaking good. I recommend the books as part of the experience for anyone interested in the games.

The story is that there was once an ancient civilization with the ability to travel to worlds they described in books. Until (spoiler) caused their civilization to collapse, and the the survivors scattered to the wind. The characters in the games are the human-mixed descendants of that civilization, and the novels go more into its backstory as well as that of the main character aside from yourself. In the game series, you have to use books to travel to different worlds and solve puzzles while piecing together story elements.
I found stars on the tip of your tongue/You speak poltergeist and so do I
dark-dragon-hatchling-water-pixel.gif
I like The Secret Series, by Pseudonymous Bosch. It is about a group of people trying to stop an immortality cult from discovering the secret to the state they seek. (I suck at summaries.) It's a kid's series, but it is still amazing.
I like The Secret Series, by Pseudonymous Bosch. It is about a group of people trying to stop an immortality cult from discovering the secret to the state they seek. (I suck at summaries.) It's a kid's series, but it is still amazing.
check out:
fishainsley.art
thanks love you
@Lesley This might be a little off topic, but that sounds interesting, I love puzzle games. Is there an order between the books and the games?
@Lesley This might be a little off topic, but that sounds interesting, I love puzzle games. Is there an order between the books and the games?
light_small.png
Happiness can be found,
even in the darkest of times,
if one only remembers to turn on the light.

light_small.png
i'm not directly active in any fandoms anymore but i like perusing the carry on, raven cycle, and throne of glass fandoms. i know those aren't exactly little-known books, but still.

as for game fandoms, i used to look at the infamous second son fandom, and i used to be a big part of the wizard101/pirate101 fandom but then some stuff happened and i hate most of the people there now. :')

i also tend to stay away from the mega-super-big fandoms, specifically the steven universe one, even tho i like su a lot.
i'm not directly active in any fandoms anymore but i like perusing the carry on, raven cycle, and throne of glass fandoms. i know those aren't exactly little-known books, but still.

as for game fandoms, i used to look at the infamous second son fandom, and i used to be a big part of the wizard101/pirate101 fandom but then some stuff happened and i hate most of the people there now. :')

i also tend to stay away from the mega-super-big fandoms, specifically the steven universe one, even tho i like su a lot.
Ollie | he/him
eGiN2Xv.png F8WMfQz.png thDLJf3.png
@Charoula

Sort of. You can play all the games without ever reading the books and still enjoy them, but if you do then you're also missing out on huge chunks of storyline. People have different orders, depending on if you're interested in the chronological story or playing the games and then reading the books.

It's really up to you, although I honestly had more fun with the later then when I tried the former on my second read/play.

The chronological order:

Book of Ti'ana (first book) --> Book of Atrus (second book) --> Myst (first game) --> Riven (second game) --> Book of D'ni (third book) --> Exile (third game) --> Revelation (fourth game) --> End of Ages (fifth game)

There's also an MMO of sorts called Uru, which is connected to End of Ages. I don't recommend it until you've watched and read everything else, though.

The first two games plus End of Ages and Uru are on Steam, but Exile and Revelation I had to buy CDs of. The novels are sold for fairly cheap on Amazon.
@Charoula

Sort of. You can play all the games without ever reading the books and still enjoy them, but if you do then you're also missing out on huge chunks of storyline. People have different orders, depending on if you're interested in the chronological story or playing the games and then reading the books.

It's really up to you, although I honestly had more fun with the later then when I tried the former on my second read/play.

The chronological order:

Book of Ti'ana (first book) --> Book of Atrus (second book) --> Myst (first game) --> Riven (second game) --> Book of D'ni (third book) --> Exile (third game) --> Revelation (fourth game) --> End of Ages (fifth game)

There's also an MMO of sorts called Uru, which is connected to End of Ages. I don't recommend it until you've watched and read everything else, though.

The first two games plus End of Ages and Uru are on Steam, but Exile and Revelation I had to buy CDs of. The novels are sold for fairly cheap on Amazon.
I found stars on the tip of your tongue/You speak poltergeist and so do I
dark-dragon-hatchling-water-pixel.gif
@WolfSoulweaver I've actually read the Inheritance Series, it's Eragon and all that, right? I don't think that fandom is small so much as people aren't so willing to talk about it after that movie (which sucks, the books are rad!). I've also read at least the first Artemis Fowl (like, 5 years ago?), but it wasn't really my style at the time. Maybe I'll give 'em another shot!
Also, I super love both of those games, especially B2S!! It's been a while, though...

@Lesley Eyy, one of my friends is super into Myst (kinda to the point where I stopped listening haha)! I didn't know there were books, though. Or the whole book-travel premise, tbh, that sounds super interesting, I'm def going to check out the games, thanks!
@WolfSoulweaver I've actually read the Inheritance Series, it's Eragon and all that, right? I don't think that fandom is small so much as people aren't so willing to talk about it after that movie (which sucks, the books are rad!). I've also read at least the first Artemis Fowl (like, 5 years ago?), but it wasn't really my style at the time. Maybe I'll give 'em another shot!
Also, I super love both of those games, especially B2S!! It's been a while, though...

@Lesley Eyy, one of my friends is super into Myst (kinda to the point where I stopped listening haha)! I didn't know there were books, though. Or the whole book-travel premise, tbh, that sounds super interesting, I'm def going to check out the games, thanks!
Mith Spellbook

they/them
- (fr +0) -
@eggod The movie doesn't exist what are you talking about >.> that movie was what kilt the fandom I think .-. I think you should give it another shot! OH, ALSO, Fablehaven is /amazing/ and I'm glad I found another B2S fan :3 I have fandergs from both games actually XD
@eggod The movie doesn't exist what are you talking about >.> that movie was what kilt the fandom I think .-. I think you should give it another shot! OH, ALSO, Fablehaven is /amazing/ and I'm glad I found another B2S fan :3 I have fandergs from both games actually XD
Dirk Gently series.

The fandom doesn't exist I swear
Dirk Gently series.

The fandom doesn't exist I swear
OjayHBU.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11