Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Wind Has Weak Wings (Debunked)
1 2
I imagine dragons from the Wind Flight have weaker muscles in their wings than most other Flights because they rely so much on the Wind to carry them. I know all dragons and other flying creatures need wind to move easily but Wind seems a bit over-reliant on it.

Edit: It appears to be quite the opposite actually. To fight against the powerful winds, they need strong wings. They just went into a state of fear and shock when their wind disappeared.
I imagine dragons from the Wind Flight have weaker muscles in their wings than most other Flights because they rely so much on the Wind to carry them. I know all dragons and other flying creatures need wind to move easily but Wind seems a bit over-reliant on it.

Edit: It appears to be quite the opposite actually. To fight against the powerful winds, they need strong wings. They just went into a state of fear and shock when their wind disappeared.
tumblr_my7hhrJmDO1sr5klvo1_500.gif
headcanon accepted
headcanon accepted
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
i think they'd be stronger! possibly weaker leg/arm muscles though, but they'd depend on their wings so much for flight! and although the wind helps 'em out, they'd need stronger muscles to stay steady in harsh winds that most dragons wouldn't dare to fly in
i think they'd be stronger! possibly weaker leg/arm muscles though, but they'd depend on their wings so much for flight! and although the wind helps 'em out, they'd need stronger muscles to stay steady in harsh winds that most dragons wouldn't dare to fly in
always lurking. g1 collector
373.gif401.gif
@biochemist Maybe so, but they cowered in fear when the wind disappeared, unable to fly. Edgar tried though, because he isn't as Wind reliant as the rest of them
@biochemist Maybe so, but they cowered in fear when the wind disappeared, unable to fly. Edgar tried though, because he isn't as Wind reliant as the rest of them
we need someone who knows physics and biology to explain what is more likely
we need someone who knows physics and biology to explain what is more likely
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
@PixelSpiral I've taken both classes in high school, so I do know a tad bit about each topic but not enough to determine whether or not I'm right T-T
@PixelSpiral I've taken both classes in high school, so I do know a tad bit about each topic but not enough to determine whether or not I'm right T-T
maybe so, but to be fair, if all the water in the sea suddenly evaporated, i think water dragons would be absolutely horrified. same with, lets say, nature. if the whole cacophony of the forest suddenly went silent, i think it'd be terrifying for the inhabitants.

since wind is such a party flight, i don't think they couldn't fly, but were in a depressive state of shock and horror. it wouldn't feel right to them, to fly when their lovely winds weren't gusting.
maybe so, but to be fair, if all the water in the sea suddenly evaporated, i think water dragons would be absolutely horrified. same with, lets say, nature. if the whole cacophony of the forest suddenly went silent, i think it'd be terrifying for the inhabitants.

since wind is such a party flight, i don't think they couldn't fly, but were in a depressive state of shock and horror. it wouldn't feel right to them, to fly when their lovely winds weren't gusting.
always lurking. g1 collector
373.gif401.gif
I'm probably wrong but if these dragons generally just ride the winds then they'd probably not have to flap their wings as much to fly which means their wings probably aren't strong enough to fly without the wind they are so used to.
I'm probably wrong but if these dragons generally just ride the winds then they'd probably not have to flap their wings as much to fly which means their wings probably aren't strong enough to fly without the wind they are so used to.
@ShinyLumeo I think biochemist is correct in their assessment. If we look at the lore of the windeswept plateau there's several things to say here:
The zephyr steppes are described as having only breezes and not much else, therefore wind dragons learn to fly much sooner in their life, so they actually train their wing muscles from a much earlier age than other dragons
From then on the plateau becomes a challenge of the winds. The reedcleft ascent? Skyscraper current deluxe, have fun flying through that hell with weak wings, you'd get yourself seriously injured or killed if you couldn't handle that.
The twiting crescendo pretty much expalins itself. A giant whirlwind. Weak wings? Don't fly there if you want to live.

It's noted in the story, that the wind dragons don't fly not because they're over-reliant on the wind, but because the change was so dramatic, so fundamental to their very being, that they were in shock. Imagine what nature dragons would feel like if the behemoth just suddenly disappeared and their jungle started withering away...
@ShinyLumeo I think biochemist is correct in their assessment. If we look at the lore of the windeswept plateau there's several things to say here:
The zephyr steppes are described as having only breezes and not much else, therefore wind dragons learn to fly much sooner in their life, so they actually train their wing muscles from a much earlier age than other dragons
From then on the plateau becomes a challenge of the winds. The reedcleft ascent? Skyscraper current deluxe, have fun flying through that hell with weak wings, you'd get yourself seriously injured or killed if you couldn't handle that.
The twiting crescendo pretty much expalins itself. A giant whirlwind. Weak wings? Don't fly there if you want to live.

It's noted in the story, that the wind dragons don't fly not because they're over-reliant on the wind, but because the change was so dramatic, so fundamental to their very being, that they were in shock. Imagine what nature dragons would feel like if the behemoth just suddenly disappeared and their jungle started withering away...
6CVg72d.png
But the currents wouldn't always take them where they wanted to go, therefore their wings would be stronger from fighting against the currents.
But the currents wouldn't always take them where they wanted to go, therefore their wings would be stronger from fighting against the currents.
1 2