Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Monthly Art Challenges - We're Back
1 2 3

Welcome Everyone!!

Hello again wonderful people of Flight Rising! I’m here to introduce a new, revised, and overall “better” version of my previous contest, “Bad” Bogs! It only ran for two rounds, but was intended to last longer. I love, I mean LOVE, “bad” artwork, but as I continue practising my own artwork, I have come to think about a couple of vital things. For example, artists constantly trash talk themselves. Is it a gift? A curse? Both? I’m voting both. The thing is, my contest was a good concept, but poor execution. So I bring you : Ptil’s monthly art challenges!

I’ve been taking it upon myself to shove myself face first into a world of unknown, uncharted territories in art. Comfort zone is my home. But no longer! Every week I do something different, something well.. Challenging. In the spirit of constant growth as an artist, I present to you all, a monthly challenge to get those juices flowing. The guidelines for these challenges are exactly the same as what I hold myself to.

If you see a challenge that interests you, may push you out of the fuzzy comforts of your limits, or even just sounds fun, feel free to join in! Keep reading, and we’ll get to the more fun part - FREE STUFF for joining.

Participation & Inclusion

Please help to make everyone feel welcomed! I myself will be active on this forum, I hope to make it a community wide themed sketchbook of sorts :) Feel free to share updates, ask for help/critique
If you have suggestions on how to make this better, please let me know!

Welcome Everyone!!

Hello again wonderful people of Flight Rising! I’m here to introduce a new, revised, and overall “better” version of my previous contest, “Bad” Bogs! It only ran for two rounds, but was intended to last longer. I love, I mean LOVE, “bad” artwork, but as I continue practising my own artwork, I have come to think about a couple of vital things. For example, artists constantly trash talk themselves. Is it a gift? A curse? Both? I’m voting both. The thing is, my contest was a good concept, but poor execution. So I bring you : Ptil’s monthly art challenges!

I’ve been taking it upon myself to shove myself face first into a world of unknown, uncharted territories in art. Comfort zone is my home. But no longer! Every week I do something different, something well.. Challenging. In the spirit of constant growth as an artist, I present to you all, a monthly challenge to get those juices flowing. The guidelines for these challenges are exactly the same as what I hold myself to.

If you see a challenge that interests you, may push you out of the fuzzy comforts of your limits, or even just sounds fun, feel free to join in! Keep reading, and we’ll get to the more fun part - FREE STUFF for joining.

Participation & Inclusion

Please help to make everyone feel welcomed! I myself will be active on this forum, I hope to make it a community wide themed sketchbook of sorts :) Feel free to share updates, ask for help/critique
If you have suggestions on how to make this better, please let me know!

Rules & Guidelines

Guidelines:
1. This monthly challenge is intended to encourage growth and learning. Don’t be afraid to try new techniques, styles or mediums!
2. The challenge below is intended to be a prompt only. This leaves room for each artist to individually interpret the challenge in their own ways.
- 2a For example, if the challenge reads “Draw a landscape with water”; some artists may draw a creek, while others choose a sea.
3. There is no final due date, any art may be revisited.
4. Again, these challenges are meant to push you to your limits. Please avoid trashing your project.
- 4a If you are struggling with something, don’t be afraid to ask here! We are all in this adventure together!
Rules :
1. Be kind to one another! Not everyone is going to have the same skill set, amount of practice, strengths, or weaknesses as you! We are all learning, keep this in mind.
2. This is intended to be a community encouraging growth, this means building each other up!
3. Please don’t spam the forum often! If a conversation becomes long, consider moving it to the PM’s.
4. I reserve the right to add/change these rules as I see fit.

Rules & Guidelines

Guidelines:
1. This monthly challenge is intended to encourage growth and learning. Don’t be afraid to try new techniques, styles or mediums!
2. The challenge below is intended to be a prompt only. This leaves room for each artist to individually interpret the challenge in their own ways.
- 2a For example, if the challenge reads “Draw a landscape with water”; some artists may draw a creek, while others choose a sea.
3. There is no final due date, any art may be revisited.
4. Again, these challenges are meant to push you to your limits. Please avoid trashing your project.
- 4a If you are struggling with something, don’t be afraid to ask here! We are all in this adventure together!
Rules :
1. Be kind to one another! Not everyone is going to have the same skill set, amount of practice, strengths, or weaknesses as you! We are all learning, keep this in mind.
2. This is intended to be a community encouraging growth, this means building each other up!
3. Please don’t spam the forum often! If a conversation becomes long, consider moving it to the PM’s.
4. I reserve the right to add/change these rules as I see fit.

Current Challenge : Finding Your Happy Place

November 1st - October 1st

Welcome back, and welcome new members! This month I'd like to introduce something laid back and open to interpretations! I've recently thought about my previous experience with art therapy, and one of the best things I've done is picturing my "happy place". Everyone has one, and everyone's is unique in some way!

Pick up your supplies, and envision your happy place :)

Current Challenge : Finding Your Happy Place

November 1st - October 1st

Welcome back, and welcome new members! This month I'd like to introduce something laid back and open to interpretations! I've recently thought about my previous experience with art therapy, and one of the best things I've done is picturing my "happy place". Everyone has one, and everyone's is unique in some way!

Pick up your supplies, and envision your happy place :)
A reserve
A reserve
Pst 5
Pst 5
Opensss
Opensss
[center] [font=garamond] [size=4] [b]Hello all, I'm Ptil.[/b] I'll kick start this bad boy with an introduction post. Please feel free to join in, and introduce yourself! I'm a artist, have been since I could hold a pencil. My main hobbies are art, driving, and music! I'm a super sci-fi geek/nerd/whathaveyou. My main strongsuits in art are Tribal, Fantasy, and abstract. My favorite medium is pencil and paper, but I've had some digital experience. Not sure what else to say, so I'll throw out my challenge subject, a piece from 2013. [img]https://i.imgur.com/Ne5E2WTg.jpg[/img] In 2013 I was stuck on dragons, but never changed the pose or anything. I feel like this was the year I literally drew the same character over and over. This is my current W.I.P remake. [img]https://i.imgur.com/H6uprRXg.jpg[/img]

Hello all, I'm Ptil.
I'll kick start this bad boy with an introduction post. Please feel free to join in, and introduce yourself! I'm a artist, have been since I could hold a pencil. My main hobbies are art, driving, and music! I'm a super sci-fi geek/nerd/whathaveyou. My main strongsuits in art are Tribal, Fantasy, and abstract. My favorite medium is pencil and paper, but I've had some digital experience.

Not sure what else to say, so I'll throw out my challenge subject, a piece from 2013.
Ne5E2WTg.jpg
In 2013 I was stuck on dragons, but never changed the pose or anything. I feel like this was the year I literally drew the same character over and over.

This is my current W.I.P remake.
H6uprRXg.jpg
@Ptilonorhy That's a huge difference! Great improvement. It was thanks to your challenges in the first place that I drew my first 100% digital images. I normally draw with the pencil and then digitize it afterwards. So this is a great introduction challenge... from my first digital images to my third and fourth. [center]before (done with a little humor) [img]http://www.sproat.net/images/before.jpg[/img] after [img]http://www.sproat.net/images/after.jpg[/img][/center]
@Ptilonorhy
That's a huge difference! Great improvement.

It was thanks to your challenges in the first place that I drew my first 100% digital images. I normally draw with the pencil and then digitize it afterwards. So this is a great introduction challenge... from my first digital images to my third and fourth.
before (done with a little humor)
before.jpg

after
after.jpg
lm2-storytime.png lm2-storytime.jpg

@LM2
I'm messaging you shortly about the old challenge. Anyways, WOW! Your lines have become cleaner, and i can see the shading improvement :)
I love all of these. Im glad youve tried out digital and i hope you come to love it.

@LM2
I'm messaging you shortly about the old challenge. Anyways, WOW! Your lines have become cleaner, and i can see the shading improvement :)
I love all of these. Im glad youve tried out digital and i hope you come to love it.
@Ptilonorhy
This is such a great idea! :D I'll need to go and find some of my dumb 12y/o art haha

And you've improved a lot :) the anatomy looks much better!

As for suggestions I think a pinglist would be good ^^ Maybe one for when a new challenge is posted and another for artwork made for each challenge? Although you will probably have to put rules on the latter though, such as that you can only ping people for finished artwork or each person can use the pinglist once per challenge.

@LM2
That looks great ^^ The forms look much clearer now and the colours look a lot nicer too :)
@Ptilonorhy
This is such a great idea! :D I'll need to go and find some of my dumb 12y/o art haha

And you've improved a lot :) the anatomy looks much better!

As for suggestions I think a pinglist would be good ^^ Maybe one for when a new challenge is posted and another for artwork made for each challenge? Although you will probably have to put rules on the latter though, such as that you can only ping people for finished artwork or each person can use the pinglist once per challenge.

@LM2
That looks great ^^ The forms look much clearer now and the colours look a lot nicer too :)
1 2 3