Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Lore of Bronze Willow [Revamp/New Lore]
1 2 3 4 5 6
[center][size=7][color=466353][b][i]A Gladeling's Legacy[/i][/b][/color][/size][/center] [center][size=1][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/drs/2661528/1]Link to Project Page[/center] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49579813] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/495799/49579813_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] [center][size=5][color=466353][b][i]Aspen: A Gladeling[/i][/b][/color][/size][/center] [color=466353]Aspen knew she was different from the time she was just a hatchling, and for better or for worse, so did everyone else. She is a [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/drs/2508564]Gladeling[/url], born with the colors of the Gladekeeper and possessing uncommon talent in caring for the flora around her home. Gladelings had always been given prodigious status in her home clan, but Aspen was a special Gladeling. Everyone had heard tales of old Gladelings who could seemingly create life where none existed and communicate almost telepathically with the Gladekeeper herself, but as their bloodlines had thinned, those abilities had waned. That is, until a recent surge in power pulsed through the Viridian Labyrinth, giving rise to new types of the Gladekeeper's Prophets who possess special eyes with which to help her gather information on her own realm and others. Aspen realized early on that she could see in ways others could not. Her Faceted Eyes could detect wavelengths invisible to others, helping her to see details others missed. Though this had the small side effect of altering her perception of normal colors and made dressing herself a nightmare, she rarely had to worry about that, spoiled and fawned over as she was. For it was also obvious from early in her life that she held some direct connection with the Gladekeeper herself. A voice periodically spoke in Aspen's head, deep and booming but still somehow gentle and kind, giving her instructions to visit specific people or places. Once there, she would enter trances where she did not truly hear or see those around her but seemed to look right through them. She would sometimes walk around or interact with her surroundings during these trances, but it felt as if she were being used as a puppet. As if she was not in control of her own actions. And very rarely, during these trances, the voice that she heard would issue from her own mouth. Everyone that she met waited on baited breath, hoping to hear the voice of the Gladekeeper. Over time, Aspen became unhappy with this life. She did not mind the attention and material comfort that her condition afforded her, but she grew tired of not having freedom. She was constantly watched by others, and constantly waiting on her next orders. She had taken a mate, who she adored. Men of stature, eager to advance their own aims, had always vied for her attention. But Birch was different. He had been a lowly attendant when they met, assigned to tend her needs for a short period, but she grew fond of him and asked for him to stay with her as a companion. Aspen was rarely refused anything, so from that point on, he had traveled with her. But he was often pushed aside when she met dragons from other clans, and she grew tired of this too. One day, the voice inside her head spoke to her, as it did sometimes. But its message was different. "Spread my influence... Make connections with other Flights... Set out alone..." [i]How?[/i] she thought. There was no response, no elaboration. Not that she expected one really, that had never worked before. She did as her orders stated. She set out alone, sad to leave Birch, but bound to her mission. She was unsure really of where to go first or what exactly she was supposed to be doing, or why. She had had the vague idea to set out for Dragonhome first, and so traveled West. Though she recieved no more instructions, she was sure that she would figure it out. In fact, she never heard that voice in her head again. But some of her many children or grandchildren did. And those who did not would still find in time that their gifts rivaled those of the Gladeling whose mission would take her across Sornieth. [center][size=2][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2402118/1#post_2402118]Back to Top[/url][/size][/center]
A Gladeling's Legacy

Aspen: A Gladeling

Aspen knew she was different from the time she was just a hatchling, and for better or for worse, so did everyone else. She is a Gladeling, born with the colors of the Gladekeeper and possessing uncommon talent in caring for the flora around her home. Gladelings had always been given prodigious status in her home clan, but Aspen was a special Gladeling.

Everyone had heard tales of old Gladelings who could seemingly create life where none existed and communicate almost telepathically with the Gladekeeper herself, but as their bloodlines had thinned, those abilities had waned. That is, until a recent surge in power pulsed through the Viridian Labyrinth, giving rise to new types of the Gladekeeper's Prophets who possess special eyes with which to help her gather information on her own realm and others.

Aspen realized early on that she could see in ways others could not. Her Faceted Eyes could detect wavelengths invisible to others, helping her to see details others missed. Though this had the small side effect of altering her perception of normal colors and made dressing herself a nightmare, she rarely had to worry about that, spoiled and fawned over as she was. For it was also obvious from early in her life that she held some direct connection with the Gladekeeper herself.

A voice periodically spoke in Aspen's head, deep and booming but still somehow gentle and kind, giving her instructions to visit specific people or places. Once there, she would enter trances where she did not truly hear or see those around her but seemed to look right through them. She would sometimes walk around or interact with her surroundings during these trances, but it felt as if she were being used as a puppet. As if she was not in control of her own actions. And very rarely, during these trances, the voice that she heard would issue from her own mouth. Everyone that she met waited on baited breath, hoping to hear the voice of the Gladekeeper.

Over time, Aspen became unhappy with this life. She did not mind the attention and material comfort that her condition afforded her, but she grew tired of not having freedom. She was constantly watched by others, and constantly waiting on her next orders.

She had taken a mate, who she adored. Men of stature, eager to advance their own aims, had always vied for her attention. But Birch was different. He had been a lowly attendant when they met, assigned to tend her needs for a short period, but she grew fond of him and asked for him to stay with her as a companion. Aspen was rarely refused anything, so from that point on, he had traveled with her. But he was often pushed aside when she met dragons from other clans, and she grew tired of this too.

One day, the voice inside her head spoke to her, as it did sometimes. But its message was different.

"Spread my influence... Make connections with other Flights... Set out alone..."

How? she thought. There was no response, no elaboration. Not that she expected one really, that had never worked before.

She did as her orders stated. She set out alone, sad to leave Birch, but bound to her mission. She was unsure really of where to go first or what exactly she was supposed to be doing, or why. She had had the vague idea to set out for Dragonhome first, and so traveled West. Though she recieved no more instructions, she was sure that she would figure it out.

In fact, she never heard that voice in her head again. But some of her many children or grandchildren did. And those who did not would still find in time that their gifts rivaled those of the Gladeling whose mission would take her across Sornieth.

fNmS9bV.png
kKraFP4.png MUYNhfy.png
VjdktqS.png
WKtl2lb.png
kKraFP4.png Kaliqo.gif
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49504278] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/495043/49504278_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] [center][size=5][color=466353][b][i]Birch[/i][/b][/color][/size][/center] [color=466353]Birch was born in a small clan, but always yearned to see more of the world. He wanted to travel and see the rest of the Viridian Labyrinth, and perhaps eventually the rest of Sornieth. So, at a young age, he packed up a bag and set out on what he expected to be a grand adventure. But life on the road, especially in the Shrieking Wilds where he soon found himself, is difficult as a lone young dragon. He had had to avoid capture or attack by Beastclans, find food and water, and try to improvise shelters. All things he thought he was prepared to do, but he underestimated how lonely and exhausting that life could be. He was taken in eventually by a family of importance and status in need of an attendant to do menial tasks around the den. For a number of years, Birch's life consisted of cooking, cleaning, some shopping, and anything else he was asked to do. Birch was not unhappy with this life. He was treated fairly well for a servant. And though things were often rather boring, he got to see and occasionally even interact with other dragons of nobility, and he overheard all of their stories about their travels and doings as he went about his tasks. One of these visitors in particular caught his attention. A Skydancer by the name of Aspen, a Servant and Prophet of the Gladekeeper herself. She arrived with a company of dragons performing various tasks for her, ensuring her safety, or just watching her. She was different from the others that often visited. She seemed unhappy somehow. Birch was asked by his masters to help attend to the Gladeling's needs while she visited, and though it appeared to be somewhat unnecessary, he did as asked. He was struck first by her eyes. Bright green and pupilless, with facets that shimmered like emeralds even in low light. Then, he was struck by her relative humility. She had plenty of staff, and thus most frequently asked Birch merely to keep her company. She listened to his stories about his early travels or about goings-on in the household he tended, and he listened to her stories about her own travels. She was a very important dragon, pampered and treated as royalty since her days as a hatchling, and she knew so much about the Viridian Labyrinth and everything in it. But she yearned for freedom, to make her own decisions. And it became obvious to Birch after a short time of knowing her that she felt trapped. Aspen's visit to Birch's home was only a little more than a week, but he grew sad when she told him she was leaving. "You wouldn't want to come with me, would you?" she asked him, almost tentatively, during one of their rare moments alone. Birch did not respond immediately. Of course he wanted to stay with her, and he wanted to travel and see all of the things she had told him about, but it was complicated. Her station was far above his, and his wants rarely mattered. Besides, he still felt indebted to the family he served for taking him in when he needed a home. After a few moments of thought, with his heart pounding in his chest, Birch put on his best quiet and submissive tone, reserved for guests of his master's home, and bowed his head. "Your wish is my command, m'lady" he said, and then looked back up at her hopefully. Aspen gave him a sly smile and put her own best tone of authority and importance. "You shall accompany me and tend to my need for companionship for as long as I see fit." She winked at him playfully and loped away to find someone who would make it so, leaving Birch to ponder exactly what meant. It was not long before her meaning became clear. Though technically he traveled with her as an attendant, Aspen kept Birch constantly by her side. She never asked anything of him except his presence, and he was more than happy to spend all of his waking moments with her. He enjoyed some of the luxuries that came along with being her companion, but he was very much out of his element when making social calls with her and very thankful that his only job was to stand there and look nice. Frequently, other dragons would pull her away. They would fawn over her in an attempt to curry favor with her, or to boast about their own accomplishments in an attempt to elevate their own social status, or attempt to charm her into falling in love with them. Birch did not mind this too much, as he had never been the jealous type and he knew that she would always come back to him. But Aspen seemed to mind. He traveled with her in this manner for quite some time, seeing new sights and meeting new people. It was all he ever dreamed of to experience these things, and even better that he now had someone to experience them with. He and Aspen spoke occasionally about escaping from this, making their own way, and starting a family together, but they were not sure if this would ever really be possible. Birch was happy enough as things were, so he was in no rush. One day, Aspen left. Birch awoke in the middle of the night to find that she and a small number of her belongings were gone. She had left a note. She had new orders to leave alone, travel beyond the Viridian Labyrinth, and spread the influence of the Gladekeeper. Birch did not really stop to think, he grabbed a pack and a couple of necessities, and went out after her. He remembered a small bit about tracking from his younger days and he was able to find the direction that he was fairly sure she had taken. He set out to find her. He knew her note said that she was to travel alone, but something deep down told him that this was right. That he was supposed to find her. It took him a couple of days to catch up to her. Birch found her filling a canteen at a tiny babbling stream. She was even more beautiful than he had seen her, somehow still immaculate and more radiant than ever after days of traveling through the wilderness of the Shrieking Wilds. As if Nature adapted to her presence rather than the other way around. "Aspen!" he called. She stood and turned to him, her Facteted eyes that he had come to adore widened in surprise. "What are you doing here?" she asked as he ran to her. "You read my note, right? I'm supposed to be alone!" Others had somehow never been able to read her emotions well, but Birch saw in her eyes a mixture of surprise, relief, and something else that might have been fear. "Your note said that you were supposed to leave alone," Birch replied. "You've already done that." "And you are in a position to interpret orders from our deity?" Birch looked down at the ground for a moment, hurt by the implication that Aspen was unhappy to see him. He knew that somewhere in her heart she was glad to see him, that she cared for him, but that her first duty had always been to her orders. He bowed his head much as he once had, put on his best tone of servitude and asked softly, "Do you wish me to leave you, m'lady?" He could not bring himself to look at her as he waited for her answer, as he was not sure he knew what her answer would be. He waited for what felt like ages for a response. Aspen placed a hand softly under his chin and raised his head until his eyes were level with hers. When she spoke, her voice was soft and trembling. "You are staying with me. And you will never bow to anyone like that again." Birch was extremely relieved at her response, and happier than he could ever remember being, but he had always been bad at navigating such emotional situations. He smiled mischievously. "Can I still call you 'm'lady'?" Aspen narrowed her eyes at him, obviously not in the mood for his antics. "I'm sorry," he said quietly. "You don't know how happy I am that you said that." Aspen turned and picked a thorny vine out of a nearby tree. She whispered words Birch could not make out under her breath, and the vine shaped itself into a crown nearly identical to the one she had always worn. Gently, she placed it on his head. "We should be off," she said. "We have places to go." "Where to first, m'lady?" Birch asked with that same mischievous smile he used just minutes before. Aspen shoved him playfully, and then pulled a map of Sornieth from her pack and spread it out on the ground. "I was thinking maybe we head for Dragonhome?" She looked up at him for input. Birch looked closely at the map where she had penciled a rough line through Dragonhome and the regions adjacent to the Viridian Labyrinth, and then around in a loop to end in the Southern Icefield. He smiled widely. "Looks good to me." The two Skydancers would eventually raise many hatchlings. All of them would possess an innate talent in caring for the plantlife of their homeland and navigating the wilderness of any forest they came across. But a few of them, possessing the Jungle/Forest/Green colors of the Gladekeeper and sporting Nature eyes, would find that they too heard this voice that Aspen sometimes spoke of and embark on their own journeys on the Gladekeeper's behalf. [center][size=2][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2402118/1#post_2402118]Back to Top[/url][/size][/center]

Birch

Birch was born in a small clan, but always yearned to see more of the world. He wanted to travel and see the rest of the Viridian Labyrinth, and perhaps eventually the rest of Sornieth. So, at a young age, he packed up a bag and set out on what he expected to be a grand adventure.

But life on the road, especially in the Shrieking Wilds where he soon found himself, is difficult as a lone young dragon. He had had to avoid capture or attack by Beastclans, find food and water, and try to improvise shelters. All things he thought he was prepared to do, but he underestimated how lonely and exhausting that life could be.

He was taken in eventually by a family of importance and status in need of an attendant to do menial tasks around the den. For a number of years, Birch's life consisted of cooking, cleaning, some shopping, and anything else he was asked to do. Birch was not unhappy with this life. He was treated fairly well for a servant. And though things were often rather boring, he got to see and occasionally even interact with other dragons of nobility, and he overheard all of their stories about their travels and doings as he went about his tasks.

One of these visitors in particular caught his attention. A Skydancer by the name of Aspen, a Servant and Prophet of the Gladekeeper herself. She arrived with a company of dragons performing various tasks for her, ensuring her safety, or just watching her. She was different from the others that often visited. She seemed unhappy somehow.

Birch was asked by his masters to help attend to the Gladeling's needs while she visited, and though it appeared to be somewhat unnecessary, he did as asked. He was struck first by her eyes. Bright green and pupilless, with facets that shimmered like emeralds even in low light. Then, he was struck by her relative humility. She had plenty of staff, and thus most frequently asked Birch merely to keep her company. She listened to his stories about his early travels or about goings-on in the household he tended, and he listened to her stories about her own travels. She was a very important dragon, pampered and treated as royalty since her days as a hatchling, and she knew so much about the Viridian Labyrinth and everything in it. But she yearned for freedom, to make her own decisions. And it became obvious to Birch after a short time of knowing her that she felt trapped.

Aspen's visit to Birch's home was only a little more than a week, but he grew sad when she told him she was leaving. "You wouldn't want to come with me, would you?" she asked him, almost tentatively, during one of their rare moments alone.

Birch did not respond immediately. Of course he wanted to stay with her, and he wanted to travel and see all of the things she had told him about, but it was complicated. Her station was far above his, and his wants rarely mattered. Besides, he still felt indebted to the family he served for taking him in when he needed a home. After a few moments of thought, with his heart pounding in his chest, Birch put on his best quiet and submissive tone, reserved for guests of his master's home, and bowed his head. "Your wish is my command, m'lady" he said, and then looked back up at her hopefully.

Aspen gave him a sly smile and put her own best tone of authority and importance. "You shall accompany me and tend to my need for companionship for as long as I see fit." She winked at him playfully and loped away to find someone who would make it so, leaving Birch to ponder exactly what meant.

It was not long before her meaning became clear. Though technically he traveled with her as an attendant, Aspen kept Birch constantly by her side. She never asked anything of him except his presence, and he was more than happy to spend all of his waking moments with her. He enjoyed some of the luxuries that came along with being her companion, but he was very much out of his element when making social calls with her and very thankful that his only job was to stand there and look nice. Frequently, other dragons would pull her away. They would fawn over her in an attempt to curry favor with her, or to boast about their own accomplishments in an attempt to elevate their own social status, or attempt to charm her into falling in love with them. Birch did not mind this too much, as he had never been the jealous type and he knew that she would always come back to him. But Aspen seemed to mind.

He traveled with her in this manner for quite some time, seeing new sights and meeting new people. It was all he ever dreamed of to experience these things, and even better that he now had someone to experience them with. He and Aspen spoke occasionally about escaping from this, making their own way, and starting a family together, but they were not sure if this would ever really be possible. Birch was happy enough as things were, so he was in no rush.

One day, Aspen left. Birch awoke in the middle of the night to find that she and a small number of her belongings were gone. She had left a note. She had new orders to leave alone, travel beyond the Viridian Labyrinth, and spread the influence of the Gladekeeper.

Birch did not really stop to think, he grabbed a pack and a couple of necessities, and went out after her. He remembered a small bit about tracking from his younger days and he was able to find the direction that he was fairly sure she had taken. He set out to find her. He knew her note said that she was to travel alone, but something deep down told him that this was right. That he was supposed to find her.

It took him a couple of days to catch up to her. Birch found her filling a canteen at a tiny babbling stream. She was even more beautiful than he had seen her, somehow still immaculate and more radiant than ever after days of traveling through the wilderness of the Shrieking Wilds. As if Nature adapted to her presence rather than the other way around.

"Aspen!" he called.

She stood and turned to him, her Facteted eyes that he had come to adore widened in surprise. "What are you doing here?" she asked as he ran to her. "You read my note, right? I'm supposed to be alone!" Others had somehow never been able to read her emotions well, but Birch saw in her eyes a mixture of surprise, relief, and something else that might have been fear.

"Your note said that you were supposed to leave alone," Birch replied. "You've already done that."

"And you are in a position to interpret orders from our deity?"

Birch looked down at the ground for a moment, hurt by the implication that Aspen was unhappy to see him. He knew that somewhere in her heart she was glad to see him, that she cared for him, but that her first duty had always been to her orders. He bowed his head much as he once had, put on his best tone of servitude and asked softly, "Do you wish me to leave you, m'lady?" He could not bring himself to look at her as he waited for her answer, as he was not sure he knew what her answer would be.

He waited for what felt like ages for a response. Aspen placed a hand softly under his chin and raised his head until his eyes were level with hers. When she spoke, her voice was soft and trembling. "You are staying with me. And you will never bow to anyone like that again."

Birch was extremely relieved at her response, and happier than he could ever remember being, but he had always been bad at navigating such emotional situations. He smiled mischievously. "Can I still call you 'm'lady'?"

Aspen narrowed her eyes at him, obviously not in the mood for his antics.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly. "You don't know how happy I am that you said that."

Aspen turned and picked a thorny vine out of a nearby tree. She whispered words Birch could not make out under her breath, and the vine shaped itself into a crown nearly identical to the one she had always worn. Gently, she placed it on his head.

"We should be off," she said. "We have places to go."

"Where to first, m'lady?" Birch asked with that same mischievous smile he used just minutes before.

Aspen shoved him playfully, and then pulled a map of Sornieth from her pack and spread it out on the ground. "I was thinking maybe we head for Dragonhome?" She looked up at him for input.

Birch looked closely at the map where she had penciled a rough line through Dragonhome and the regions adjacent to the Viridian Labyrinth, and then around in a loop to end in the Southern Icefield. He smiled widely. "Looks good to me."

The two Skydancers would eventually raise many hatchlings. All of them would possess an innate talent in caring for the plantlife of their homeland and navigating the wilderness of any forest they came across. But a few of them, possessing the Jungle/Forest/Green colors of the Gladekeeper and sporting Nature eyes, would find that they too heard this voice that Aspen sometimes spoke of and embark on their own journeys on the Gladekeeper's behalf.

fNmS9bV.png
kKraFP4.png MUYNhfy.png
VjdktqS.png
WKtl2lb.png
kKraFP4.png Kaliqo.gif
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49899579] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/498996/49899579_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] [center][size=5][color=466353][b][i]Malachite[/i][/b][/color][/size][/center] [color=466353]Malachite was born in a clan residing close to the Pillar of the World, to a Spiral suffering from Shadow Madness and a Snapper who serves as his Anchor. His unusual color, unusual for a dragon of Earth anyway, had always brought him attention. But not as much as his eyes. More than two dozen deep brown eyes resided along his body, forming a row on each side down his neck and torso to the tip of his tail. All moved and blinked independently, allowing him an unparalleled view of his surroundings. Many were mesmerized by his appearance and held him in high esteem. Others were disgusted, calling him an abomination resulting from the lingering effects of the Shade in his bloodline. No one took much notice of the magical abilities he had inherited from his mother's Arcane influence, and Malachite did not bring attention to this either. Malachite was still fairly young when he grew tired of his home. Among all the other reasons to leave, his desire to see everything he could beckoned him. He traveled across Dragonhome, from the Pillar, along the Greatwyrm's Breach, to the Cairnstone Rest, and across the Shattered Plain. He wandered, taking in the sights and honing his magic. Solitary, but not lonely. Occasionally, when he missed the company of others, he would offer his services as a guide to parties travelling between settlements. Few could match his knowledge of the landscape and he became widely known and sought after, much to his annoyance. He spent a good amount of his time helping others find their way across the unforgiving landscape of his home, but he still tried his best to find times to wander alone as he once did. It was during one of his now few solitary periods that he came across two Skydancers that would change the course of his life. He found them near nightfall, at the edge of a crevasse reaching across the Shattered Plain. Both had feathers of deep green hues that reminded him of seraphinite, though hers also embodied intriguing tones of deep amethyst and runes the color of peridot. They stood out against the surrounding rock and sand. Malachite could see them from quite a distance due to his unnatural eyes, and the fact that they were out in the open, which was not a great idea. They were dressed rather well for travelers in this area, and they were sure to be either mugged for whatever gold or possessions they might have, or attacked by the creatures that dwelled at the bottom of this chasm and ventured to the surface in the darkness. Malachite sighed. He had wanted more time to himself, but it was obvious that this pair was in need of a guide and he was too honorable to withhold his aid for such selfish reasons. He approached them slowly, his legs tired from the day's travel, and called out to them when he was close enough that he would not have to shout. They had not yet seen him, absorbed in a map and discussing their journey in whispers. "You should find shelter, you know." Malachite's deep sonorous voice echoed slightly off the sides of the crevasse. The pair turned simultaneously to him, and for a brief moment, he found himself unable to move. The female's faceted eyes sparkled like finely cut emeralds in the waning light and seemed to strike him dumb. She approached him, seeming not to notice, with her companion following close behind her. Her expression was hard to read, and her gaze hard to follow, but Malachite felt sure that she was equally amazed by his many eyes. "We were just discussing where to do that," she finally replied. "This canyon does not seem to be on our map, and we're not sure where to go." Maybe it was only because he had not spoken to anyone else for several days, but to Malachite her voice sounded like music. The light was dimming fast now. Malachite planted his feet firmly in the ground, closed his many eyes, took a slow, deep breath, and allowed the Magic of the land to flow through him. It was a little like being removed from his own body. He was there, he could move, but he could not really feel the sensations of his heart beating, of his breath in and out, of the warm wind on his scales, or of the course sand beneath his feet. Instead, he felt the Earth. He could feel sand on the surface and small pebbles move with the gusts of wind, concealing cracks the rock below. He could sense these cracks reaching down and becoming solid rock below their feet before giving way to a series of caverns in the sides of the breach. Most were close to the bottom. They split and intersected, some ending in large open spaces and others continuing past his sensory range. These were obviously the work of either dragons or creatures he was sure that they would want to avoid. However, there were a few fissures, not too far down, that appeared to be naturally occurring and large enough to provide shelter for a night. Most dragons would have difficulty finding these openings in the rock, let alone descending the steep drop before them. Even those who could fly would have to be precise in their approach or risk injury. Malachite chose the one that looked most promising, and willed the Earth to move. It was slow, but before their eyes, a rough staircase of rock appeared, clinging to the side of the chasm. "Follow me." It was his voice, but it felt as though someone else had spoken. He led the Skydancers silently down to his chosen place, and the stairs retreated back into the side of the crevasse after they passed. If they were worried, they did not show it. Most would be. Malachite had done this on occasion before, and most dragons questioned him as they descended to whatever shelter he had in mind. He was thankful these two were quiet. This kind of Magic was tiring, and keeping it going was difficult if he had to hold a conversation at the same time. Darkness fell as they descended, and Malachite slowed a little. Even if he could not sense every contour of the rock they walked on, he could see well enough in the dark with his many eyes taking in all the light available to him. But he was not sure if the female whose eyes resembled gems could see in this kind of blackness, and in any case, he knew the other would have trouble. Eventually they reached their destination, an opening in the cliff-side just large enough for Malachite to squeeze through that opened up into a rough cavern with a high ceiling and close walls. They would all be able to sleep here, but there was not much extra space. After the other two entered, the last of his makeshift stairway retreated. And for a little added security, Malachite closed the opening of the cave until only a sliver remained. He let the Magic go, and the sensations of his body returned. His heart pounded, his breaths came faster, and all of his bones ached. He lay down against the side of the cavern and closed all of his eyes, fighting off the headache that threatened to overcome him. He could do smaller amounts of this kind of Magic with no ill effects, but literally moving the Earth this much always left him in need of a rest. Malachite was not exactly sure how much time passed before he felt a gentle touch on his shoulder. It may have been a few minutes. He opened only his primary eyes and lifted his head to find the female standing above him and the other Skydancer sitting against the opposite wall. "Thank you," she said softly. "I'm sure that's exhausting." Malachite opened a few more eyes, already feeling quite a bit better. "It's no trouble," he responded. "You're lying," she stated with a sly smile. "I'm Aspen, and this is Birch." She motioned to her companion, who gave a practiced nod. Before Malachite could respond, there was the sound of movement outside. All of his eyes snapped open, and Birch moved quickly toward the opening to put Aspen behind him. Whatever it was passed. The three of them listened intently for some time as more than a dozen creatures seemed to make their way up to the surface past their entrance, and then quiet fell again. "What were they?" It was the first time Malachite had heard Birch speak. "I'm not entirely sure," he answered. "Serthis have been known to live in these parts, but I've heard tales of other things recently as well. No one has gotten a good look, but some say they've seen other dragon-like creatures come up from below." There was silence as they pondered his reply. "Whatever they were," Aspen stated in a voice barely above a whisper, "I'm glad you found us when you did. Thank you..." She let her sentence trail off, looking at him as if fishing for something. "Malachite." "Thank you, Malachite." The three of them dozed on and off for a few hours, but no one slept very well. Malachite curled up against the wall as tightly as he could, and Birch made sure to remain between Aspen and the opening in the wall. Malachite could not help but notice during one of his waking periods that she had intertwined her tail with Birch's as she slept, and he felt a small twinge of jealousy. It was not necessarily that he was jealous of Birch, but that he realized suddenly how lonely he had become over the years. All those times he became annoyed with the presence of others during his travels, maybe he was just annoyed that they only wanted him around for his services. And all those times that he thought he wanted the company of strangers, maybe what he really wanted was some form of companionship. He did his best to squash these thoughts and emotions, as the male Skydancer's antennae had twitched almost as if in response. It was just before dawn when they heard the creatures outside returning to their dens far below. Once it was quiet again and light could be seen through the crack in the wall, they ascended in the same manner as they had the night before. The three dragons sat at the edge of the crevasse where Malachite had found Aspen and Birch the night before. Moving the Earth had not left him as drained as it had then, but he still felt the need to sit for a few. "Can I see your map?" he asked Aspen. "Of course." She reached into her bag and handed over an old scroll of parchment that was so large it could not possibly have fit without the aid of Magic. Malachite unfurled it on the ground in front of him and took a look at Dragonhome. No wonder they had been confused the previous night. Their information on the region was outdated by a few decades, and something told him that possibly only the Viridian Labyrinth was mapped accurately anymore. It was easy to see additions in newer ink there. And one that looked rather fresh that appeared to trace a course route through every region of Sornieth. These two were clearly planning on a long journey. He pulled a small quill from his own bag and began to draw new lines and dots on their map, occasionally writing in a name where one existed, while Aspen and Birch looked on with interest. "These are places where the Earth has opened up since your map was drawn," he explained, indicating the jagged lines he had added. "And these," he pointed with his quill to the few dots he had added, "are newer clans and settlements. There is actually one just a couple of days North of here on your way to Cairnstone Rest if you have not been that direction yet." "We were trying to head in that direction when you found us," Aspen responded. She looked at the additions Malachite had made, and then rolled the map up again and placed it in her impossibly small bag. She then dug around for a moment and pulled out what looked like a tiny, smooth pebble. A seed. She held it in her hand, and Malachite felt a surge of warmth and energy radiate from the Skydancer that he imagined felt similar to his own flow of Magic. She whispered to the seed, and from it grew into a small pink rose before their eyes. Aspen presented it to him and said softly, "I can't replay you for the help you have given us, but as a token of our gratitude..." Malachite took the flower gingerly, as he felt sure he would crush it with his giant claws if he was not careful. He reached inside himself for the Magic this time, and felt it flow through his body and into the rose. Spreading from where he touched the stem and up into the bloom itself, the flower hardened and crystallized. He tucked the flower, now made of green and pink gemstone and no longer in as much danger, into the ridges of plates and spines of his neck. Aspen smiled at this, and he was struck again by the sparkle in her eyes. He looked from her to Birch, who stood by her side and slightly behind, antennae moving slightly as they frequently did, and then back to Aspen. There had been little conversation between them at all, but now that the time had come to go their separate ways, Malachite found himself saddened by the prospect of saying goodbye to both of them. Birch, though he seemed rarely to speak, was the one that broke the emotionally charged silence. "You wouldn't want to come with us, would you?" he asked. And then after a pause, "At least for a small distance. I'm sure it can get lonely out here." He gave a wink that only Malachite could see. Malachite smiled. "I would like that." In fact, Malachite stayed with the two Skydancers throughout their journeys in Dragonhome and across all of Sornieth. Other travelers would join them over time, and though the group was as different and eclectic as one could imagine, Malachite was happy to have a group he felt he truly belonged to. Over time, Malachite would father a small number of nests with Aspen. Descendants of this line would retain a little of their mother's talent for raising flowers and plants. Some, however, would find that they also inherited their father's ability to feel and move the Earth, and turn small objects into gems. A unity between powers of Nature and Earth. [center][size=2][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2402118/1#post_2402118]Back to Top[/url][/size][/center]

Malachite

Malachite was born in a clan residing close to the Pillar of the World, to a Spiral suffering from Shadow Madness and a Snapper who serves as his Anchor. His unusual color, unusual for a dragon of Earth anyway, had always brought him attention. But not as much as his eyes. More than two dozen deep brown eyes resided along his body, forming a row on each side down his neck and torso to the tip of his tail. All moved and blinked independently, allowing him an unparalleled view of his surroundings. Many were mesmerized by his appearance and held him in high esteem. Others were disgusted, calling him an abomination resulting from the lingering effects of the Shade in his bloodline. No one took much notice of the magical abilities he had inherited from his mother's Arcane influence, and Malachite did not bring attention to this either.

Malachite was still fairly young when he grew tired of his home. Among all the other reasons to leave, his desire to see everything he could beckoned him. He traveled across Dragonhome, from the Pillar, along the Greatwyrm's Breach, to the Cairnstone Rest, and across the Shattered Plain. He wandered, taking in the sights and honing his magic. Solitary, but not lonely.

Occasionally, when he missed the company of others, he would offer his services as a guide to parties travelling between settlements. Few could match his knowledge of the landscape and he became widely known and sought after, much to his annoyance. He spent a good amount of his time helping others find their way across the unforgiving landscape of his home, but he still tried his best to find times to wander alone as he once did.

It was during one of his now few solitary periods that he came across two Skydancers that would change the course of his life.

He found them near nightfall, at the edge of a crevasse reaching across the Shattered Plain. Both had feathers of deep green hues that reminded him of seraphinite, though hers also embodied intriguing tones of deep amethyst and runes the color of peridot. They stood out against the surrounding rock and sand. Malachite could see them from quite a distance due to his unnatural eyes, and the fact that they were out in the open, which was not a great idea. They were dressed rather well for travelers in this area, and they were sure to be either mugged for whatever gold or possessions they might have, or attacked by the creatures that dwelled at the bottom of this chasm and ventured to the surface in the darkness.

Malachite sighed. He had wanted more time to himself, but it was obvious that this pair was in need of a guide and he was too honorable to withhold his aid for such selfish reasons.

He approached them slowly, his legs tired from the day's travel, and called out to them when he was close enough that he would not have to shout. They had not yet seen him, absorbed in a map and discussing their journey in whispers.

"You should find shelter, you know." Malachite's deep sonorous voice echoed slightly off the sides of the crevasse.

The pair turned simultaneously to him, and for a brief moment, he found himself unable to move. The female's faceted eyes sparkled like finely cut emeralds in the waning light and seemed to strike him dumb. She approached him, seeming not to notice, with her companion following close behind her. Her expression was hard to read, and her gaze hard to follow, but Malachite felt sure that she was equally amazed by his many eyes.

"We were just discussing where to do that," she finally replied. "This canyon does not seem to be on our map, and we're not sure where to go."

Maybe it was only because he had not spoken to anyone else for several days, but to Malachite her voice sounded like music.

The light was dimming fast now. Malachite planted his feet firmly in the ground, closed his many eyes, took a slow, deep breath, and allowed the Magic of the land to flow through him. It was a little like being removed from his own body. He was there, he could move, but he could not really feel the sensations of his heart beating, of his breath in and out, of the warm wind on his scales, or of the course sand beneath his feet.

Instead, he felt the Earth. He could feel sand on the surface and small pebbles move with the gusts of wind, concealing cracks the rock below. He could sense these cracks reaching down and becoming solid rock below their feet before giving way to a series of caverns in the sides of the breach. Most were close to the bottom. They split and intersected, some ending in large open spaces and others continuing past his sensory range. These were obviously the work of either dragons or creatures he was sure that they would want to avoid. However, there were a few fissures, not too far down, that appeared to be naturally occurring and large enough to provide shelter for a night. Most dragons would have difficulty finding these openings in the rock, let alone descending the steep drop before them. Even those who could fly would have to be precise in their approach or risk injury.

Malachite chose the one that looked most promising, and willed the Earth to move. It was slow, but before their eyes, a rough staircase of rock appeared, clinging to the side of the chasm.

"Follow me." It was his voice, but it felt as though someone else had spoken.

He led the Skydancers silently down to his chosen place, and the stairs retreated back into the side of the crevasse after they passed. If they were worried, they did not show it. Most would be. Malachite had done this on occasion before, and most dragons questioned him as they descended to whatever shelter he had in mind. He was thankful these two were quiet. This kind of Magic was tiring, and keeping it going was difficult if he had to hold a conversation at the same time.

Darkness fell as they descended, and Malachite slowed a little. Even if he could not sense every contour of the rock they walked on, he could see well enough in the dark with his many eyes taking in all the light available to him. But he was not sure if the female whose eyes resembled gems could see in this kind of blackness, and in any case, he knew the other would have trouble.

Eventually they reached their destination, an opening in the cliff-side just large enough for Malachite to squeeze through that opened up into a rough cavern with a high ceiling and close walls. They would all be able to sleep here, but there was not much extra space. After the other two entered, the last of his makeshift stairway retreated. And for a little added security, Malachite closed the opening of the cave until only a sliver remained.

He let the Magic go, and the sensations of his body returned. His heart pounded, his breaths came faster, and all of his bones ached. He lay down against the side of the cavern and closed all of his eyes, fighting off the headache that threatened to overcome him. He could do smaller amounts of this kind of Magic with no ill effects, but literally moving the Earth this much always left him in need of a rest.

Malachite was not exactly sure how much time passed before he felt a gentle touch on his shoulder. It may have been a few minutes. He opened only his primary eyes and lifted his head to find the female standing above him and the other Skydancer sitting against the opposite wall.

"Thank you," she said softly. "I'm sure that's exhausting."

Malachite opened a few more eyes, already feeling quite a bit better. "It's no trouble," he responded.

"You're lying," she stated with a sly smile. "I'm Aspen, and this is Birch." She motioned to her companion, who gave a practiced nod.

Before Malachite could respond, there was the sound of movement outside. All of his eyes snapped open, and Birch moved quickly toward the opening to put Aspen behind him. Whatever it was passed. The three of them listened intently for some time as more than a dozen creatures seemed to make their way up to the surface past their entrance, and then quiet fell again.

"What were they?"

It was the first time Malachite had heard Birch speak. "I'm not entirely sure," he answered. "Serthis have been known to live in these parts, but I've heard tales of other things recently as well. No one has gotten a good look, but some say they've seen other dragon-like creatures come up from below."

There was silence as they pondered his reply.

"Whatever they were," Aspen stated in a voice barely above a whisper, "I'm glad you found us when you did. Thank you..." She let her sentence trail off, looking at him as if fishing for something.

"Malachite."

"Thank you, Malachite."

The three of them dozed on and off for a few hours, but no one slept very well. Malachite curled up against the wall as tightly as he could, and Birch made sure to remain between Aspen and the opening in the wall. Malachite could not help but notice during one of his waking periods that she had intertwined her tail with Birch's as she slept, and he felt a small twinge of jealousy.

It was not necessarily that he was jealous of Birch, but that he realized suddenly how lonely he had become over the years. All those times he became annoyed with the presence of others during his travels, maybe he was just annoyed that they only wanted him around for his services. And all those times that he thought he wanted the company of strangers, maybe what he really wanted was some form of companionship.

He did his best to squash these thoughts and emotions, as the male Skydancer's antennae had twitched almost as if in response.

It was just before dawn when they heard the creatures outside returning to their dens far below. Once it was quiet again and light could be seen through the crack in the wall, they ascended in the same manner as they had the night before.

The three dragons sat at the edge of the crevasse where Malachite had found Aspen and Birch the night before. Moving the Earth had not left him as drained as it had then, but he still felt the need to sit for a few.

"Can I see your map?" he asked Aspen.

"Of course." She reached into her bag and handed over an old scroll of parchment that was so large it could not possibly have fit without the aid of Magic.

Malachite unfurled it on the ground in front of him and took a look at Dragonhome. No wonder they had been confused the previous night. Their information on the region was outdated by a few decades, and something told him that possibly only the Viridian Labyrinth was mapped accurately anymore. It was easy to see additions in newer ink there. And one that looked rather fresh that appeared to trace a course route through every region of Sornieth. These two were clearly planning on a long journey.

He pulled a small quill from his own bag and began to draw new lines and dots on their map, occasionally writing in a name where one existed, while Aspen and Birch looked on with interest. "These are places where the Earth has opened up since your map was drawn," he explained, indicating the jagged lines he had added. "And these," he pointed with his quill to the few dots he had added, "are newer clans and settlements. There is actually one just a couple of days North of here on your way to Cairnstone Rest if you have not been that direction yet."

"We were trying to head in that direction when you found us," Aspen responded. She looked at the additions Malachite had made, and then rolled the map up again and placed it in her impossibly small bag.

She then dug around for a moment and pulled out what looked like a tiny, smooth pebble. A seed. She held it in her hand, and Malachite felt a surge of warmth and energy radiate from the Skydancer that he imagined felt similar to his own flow of Magic. She whispered to the seed, and from it grew into a small pink rose before their eyes. Aspen presented it to him and said softly, "I can't replay you for the help you have given us, but as a token of our gratitude..."

Malachite took the flower gingerly, as he felt sure he would crush it with his giant claws if he was not careful. He reached inside himself for the Magic this time, and felt it flow through his body and into the rose. Spreading from where he touched the stem and up into the bloom itself, the flower hardened and crystallized. He tucked the flower, now made of green and pink gemstone and no longer in as much danger, into the ridges of plates and spines of his neck. Aspen smiled at this, and he was struck again by the sparkle in her eyes.

He looked from her to Birch, who stood by her side and slightly behind, antennae moving slightly as they frequently did, and then back to Aspen. There had been little conversation between them at all, but now that the time had come to go their separate ways, Malachite found himself saddened by the prospect of saying goodbye to both of them.

Birch, though he seemed rarely to speak, was the one that broke the emotionally charged silence. "You wouldn't want to come with us, would you?" he asked. And then after a pause, "At least for a small distance. I'm sure it can get lonely out here." He gave a wink that only Malachite could see.

Malachite smiled. "I would like that."

In fact, Malachite stayed with the two Skydancers throughout their journeys in Dragonhome and across all of Sornieth. Other travelers would join them over time, and though the group was as different and eclectic as one could imagine, Malachite was happy to have a group he felt he truly belonged to.

Over time, Malachite would father a small number of nests with Aspen. Descendants of this line would retain a little of their mother's talent for raising flowers and plants. Some, however, would find that they also inherited their father's ability to feel and move the Earth, and turn small objects into gems. A unity between powers of Nature and Earth.

fNmS9bV.png
kKraFP4.png MUYNhfy.png
VjdktqS.png
WKtl2lb.png
kKraFP4.png Kaliqo.gif
Reserve

Reserve

fNmS9bV.png
kKraFP4.png MUYNhfy.png
VjdktqS.png
WKtl2lb.png
kKraFP4.png Kaliqo.gif