Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | All That Remains | A Pinkerlocke
1 2 3 4 5
@Charias

Now that sounds like a fascinating concept for a fantasy novel lol
@Charias

Now that sounds like a fascinating concept for a fantasy novel lol
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
@Charias

Arafius is my favorite, without a doubt. Such a past and yet he can still be a lovable goof! Could I be on the pinglist? I want to see what happens next!
@Charias

Arafius is my favorite, without a doubt. Such a past and yet he can still be a lovable goof! Could I be on the pinglist? I want to see what happens next!
@Delmaria

Yess, he's a sweetheart! Honestly I just look at tundras and "lovable goof" is the first thing that comes to mind. :P I'll add you to the pinglist~
@Delmaria

Yess, he's a sweetheart! Honestly I just look at tundras and "lovable goof" is the first thing that comes to mind. :P I'll add you to the pinglist~
[center][color=green]@Digimon11 @Geminisun @Petall @Delmaria Hey again, guys! Hope you don't mind the extra ping~ Was just doing some doodling on my tablet and I sketched up how I imagine the Undertree Cabin looks. It's very "cosy" [s]aka so small they can barely even fit haha[/s]. From the outside: [img]https://imgur.com/Xy6C9Vu.png[/img] It's literally a tree! A very, very large tree. I imagine Nature dragons grow their homes from living plants, and small abodes can even be grown inside the trunks of trees. This is usually done for strategic reasons - a structure like this is hard to see, and hard to destroy. Firefly's clan maintained a few outposts built like this, though they were only occupied during times of conflict. [img]https://imgur.com/SbscaiG.png[/img] Really quick doodle of everyone relaxing indoors. The actual "cabin" part of the structure is very compact. Building a cavern inside a tree is a delicate process, and creating one too large would render the entire plant unable to support itself. "Building" these places is done entirely through magic, usually starting when the tree is only a sapling (though the growth can be accelerated through magical means too). These structures are very utilitarian, with little to no adornment and only the most basic amenities. They tend to have a stone firepit and chimney grown into them for cooking foods (can't see it so clear in the picture, but the chimney is the thing sticking from the roof on the right side); as far as sleeping goes, there's either cots or hammocks. The floor is made of the wood of the tree itself, sometimes with textile or fur rugs spread across it to make it less uncomfortable on bare feet. Undertree does have floor rugs but I forgot to draw them. :P It also has a hide divider separating the firepit and storage area. In my lore, Nature dragons rely heavily on living plants for their central structures, but also make use of furs and hides for decoration, comfort and warmth (as well as clothing). /random exposition
@Digimon11 @Geminisun @Petall @Delmaria

Hey again, guys! Hope you don't mind the extra ping~

Was just doing some doodling on my tablet and I sketched up how I imagine the Undertree Cabin looks. It's very "cosy" aka so small they can barely even fit haha.

From the outside:

Xy6C9Vu.png

It's literally a tree! A very, very large tree. I imagine Nature dragons grow their homes from living plants, and small abodes can even be grown inside the trunks of trees. This is usually done for strategic reasons - a structure like this is hard to see, and hard to destroy. Firefly's clan maintained a few outposts built like this, though they were only occupied during times of conflict.

SbscaiG.png

Really quick doodle of everyone relaxing indoors. The actual "cabin" part of the structure is very compact. Building a cavern inside a tree is a delicate process, and creating one too large would render the entire plant unable to support itself. "Building" these places is done entirely through magic, usually starting when the tree is only a sapling (though the growth can be accelerated through magical means too).

These structures are very utilitarian, with little to no adornment and only the most basic amenities. They tend to have a stone firepit and chimney grown into them for cooking foods (can't see it so clear in the picture, but the chimney is the thing sticking from the roof on the right side); as far as sleeping goes, there's either cots or hammocks.

The floor is made of the wood of the tree itself, sometimes with textile or fur rugs spread across it to make it less uncomfortable on bare feet. Undertree does have floor rugs but I forgot to draw them. :P It also has a hide divider separating the firepit and storage area. In my lore, Nature dragons rely heavily on living plants for their central structures, but also make use of furs and hides for decoration, comfort and warmth (as well as clothing).

/random exposition
@Charias

Unfortunately, since I'm living and working at a school right now, a lot of image hosting sites are blocked on my wifi so I can't actually see what the images are, but I bet they look great and I will make note to check them out properly next time I'm on another wifi network!
@Charias

Unfortunately, since I'm living and working at a school right now, a lot of image hosting sites are blocked on my wifi so I can't actually see what the images are, but I bet they look great and I will make note to check them out properly next time I'm on another wifi network!
b7742e507b7cf8e2cd71c4f2ffd5a17c3b9f9e2e.png 7ae5f576df9583faed137e7e0ca37146ab2a57b6.png
[columns][color=transparent].....................................[/color][nextcol][img]https://i.imgur.com/if0JBo8.png[/img][nextcol][color=transparent]..[nextcol][center][font=sylfaen][size=6][color=#97af8b]chapter six[/color][/size] [size=7][size=4][color=#697f67]h u n t e d[/color][/size][/size][/font][/center][nextcol][color=transparent]..[nextcol][img]https://i.imgur.com/xm1sIQ8.png[/img][nextcol][color=transparent]....................................[/color][/columns][center][img]https://i.imgur.com/knAKSRM.png[/img] ----- [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2386982/2#post_32709861]< prev chapter[/url] [color=#414e33]|o|[/color] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2386982/4#post_33071847]next chapter >[/url] ----- [color=#97af8b][b]Turn:[/b] 3[/color] [color=#414e33]~o~[/color] [color=#697f67][font=sylfaen][size=4]All around him was dark. In one paw he clutched a lantern with an iron grip, a sole beacon of light in this black expanse. It barely even illuminated the ground at his feet, nevermind anything that might lie ahead. The darkness here seemed [i]heavier[/i] than usual, actively resisting the lonely lantern’s glow. The air was cold. There was no trace of a breeze. The air felt unnaturally still; it felt dead. Still, he carried on, walking ever onwards into the unknown dark. The sound of his footsteps felt hollow, with no trace of an echo. [i]I don’t want to do this. I don’t want to see. I don’t want to remember.[/i] The same thoughts whirled in his head, over and over. [i]Please. Please. Just let me go.[/i] Tears welled up in the corners of his eyes. [i]Please… please… please…[/i] His feet continued to carry him on. He couldn’t control them. He couldn’t stop. Nothing changed; he still couldn’t see anything, couldn’t smell or hear anything. But suddenly, he knew… there was something ahead. Something giant and looming, something glaring, something that radiated fury and hatred with an intensity far beyond anything he thought possible. “Ha. Ha. Ha.” Arafius flinched. [i]No. Not again. I don’t want-- I can’t--[/i] He could feel the presence lean in closer to him, until it hovered right on the periphery of his little bubble of light. The pitiful glow of the lantern reflected off something pale and smooth; something skeletal and long dead. Within its ghastly skull sat two empty sockets, seeming somehow even darker than the air around them. The void within them seemed, somehow, to be sneering at him. “Coward…” it rumbled, though its jaws did not move. “P- please, please… just leave me alone, please…” the tundra whimpered, his body now visibly shivering. “LEAVE. YOU. ALONE?” It’s voice seemed to come from every direction, deafening. “YOU. THINK. THIS. WILL. END? YOU. THINK. YOU. CAN. ESCAPE. [b]ME?[/b] HA. HA. HA.” Its hollow laughter seemed to fill the whole world, drowning out every thought, every hope, every shred of happiness Arafius had ever felt. “Go. Play. Pretend. With. Your. Little. [i]Family[/i]. But. NEVER. Forget. I. Am. Coming. For. You. [i]Coward[/i]. YOUR. LIFE. IS. [b]MINE[/b].”[/size][/font][/color] [color=#414e33]~o~[/color] [color=#697f67][font=sylfaen][size=4]Arafius’ eyes snapped open. For one terrifying moment he didn’t recognise his surroundings, and a haze of confusion and panic began to settle over him. Then his gaze settled on Firefly’s slumbering form, and everything came flooding back. The fear subsided. He let out a sigh. The wildclaw was lazing on her hammock, limbs sprawled out in every direction, snoring loudly. Luna was curled up into a ball in her nest, more resembling a soft tuft of moss than a dragon. Both were sound asleep. The tundra briefly considered trying to get an extra few hours of sleep himself, but he was restless. Some nervous energy seemed to permeate him, though he didn’t know why. [i]Maybe I had a bad dream?[/i] He thought to himself as he groggily hopped out of his hammock and stretched, yawning. His broken wing shot with pain as he tried to move it. It was still bent wrong. Firefly didn’t know how to tend to serious injuries like that; the best she could do was wrap it with bandages and hope for the best, but Arafius knew that if is wing healed like this, he would never fly again. He tried not to think about it. That was becoming an increasingly common habit lately. He tried not to think about his situation, or his family, or his broken wing, or how much he missed his home, or how he couldn’t remember anything about how and why he was here. He tried to put on a brave face, to hide his pain behind a goofy smile or some speech quoted word-for-word from his tutor back home. It was the only thing he knew how to do. Silently he swung open the cabin door and crept outside. It was still dark out. Bioluminescent insects buzzed lazily between thick trees. The sky above was indigo and glittered with distant stars; in the distance, in a gap between the trees, he could see a hint of dawn staining the horizon in shades of purple and red. He breathed the forest air deeply. It smelled of dirt and leaves and fruit and flowers. The world hummed with life around him, in a thousand different forms and hues. [i]It’s beautiful,[/i] he thought to himself. [i]But it’s not my home. I don’t belong here[/i]. His mind wandered back to Firefly and Luna, all alone out here in the wilderness. Did they really need him? Or was he just a burden, weighing them down? He wasn’t used to this life - he didn’t know how it worked, what he was meant to do. He grew up in civilisation, in a bustling mining town - getting food had been as simple as walking to the local market; thoughts of survival, danger, hunger and hardship had never even entered his mind. No, he wasn’t cut out for this at all. [i]But I agreed to stay. Firefly wants me to stay, and I owe her my life[/i]. He sighed. [i]And besides, I’d just die out there if I left[/i]. Still, he couldn’t get the idea out of his mind. He hadn’t known the wildclaw for long, but he liked her. She was his friend, and the only one he had left. He just… he didn’t want to repay her kindness by eating all her food, taking up space and being [i]useless[/i]. And another feeling sat at the edge of his mind, one he could barely grasp. Some feeling of impending doom; not just for him, but for everyone around him as well. He tried to shrug it off, but it lingered there… like some shadow in his periphery, darting away whenever he turned to look. He stewed in his dark thoughts until the sun finally peaked through the trees; slowly the jungle’s nighttime residents returned to their shadowed holes, replaced by the vibrant creatures of day. He heard the cabin door swing open behind him. “Oh, there you are, Fluffy!” Firefly said loudly. “Fuff-ee!” Luna squealed excitedly from her perch between the wildclaw’s wings. Arafius turned around and forced a smile. “Hey, guys!” “So I was thinking,” Firefly started as she walked up besides the tundra. “We’ve all been pretty stressed out and grim lately. I figure we deserve a day off. Food’s still tight, obviously, but it’ll last us for now.” “Yeah, yeah, that sounds good,” the tundra replied, though his heart wasn’t in it. She continued, “I was thinking I could use some of the stuff we’ve collected to put together some clothes. Maybe something to keep the rain out of your fur! And to help keep us camouflaged in the forest…” He nodded half-heartedly. Firefly bent down so Luna could hop off her back, and the hatchling immediately pranced off, trying to talk to the various birds and insects that were around. Hard to believe she was nearly two weeks old already. As soon as she was out of earshot, the wildclaw turned and said, “I know something’s bothering you.” “Is it that obvious?” He replied drily. “Yep. But… you don’t have to tell me. I know it’s… it’s hard. Just-- if you ever want to talk, I’m here, okay? You don’t have to bottle it up inside.” “Umm, thank you.” He felt awkward, but at the same time he appreciated the sentiment. He briefly considered telling her what had been on his mind… but he hesitated and the moment passed, so instead he sat there in silence. Maybe he did need a day off… but not a day off from work - a day off from worrying instead. [i]Yes, that sounds good[/i]. He let himself feel the warm morning sunlight on his back and the gentle breeze in his fur. He took a deep breath, concentrating on all the different smells of the forest, and how relaxing they all were; and he listened to all the animals singing and calling, from songbirds to monkeys. He knew it wasn’t his home, and he knew he didn’t belong here, and he was far out of his depth. But just for one moment, he didn’t care. The forest was beautiful. Everything about it was beautiful. One day, he would find out what happened to him; he’d find a way to go home. But for now, he could try to enjoy being here. He could try to enjoy the time spent with his new friends in this new land. Even if he didn’t feel like he deserved it. Even if he was afraid. Even if he was a coward.[/size][/font][/color] [color=#414e33]~o~[/color] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=39562405][img]https://imgur.com/4hRT2Ut.png[/img][/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=39668069] [img]https://imgur.com/b5EvEHE.png[/img] [/url] [color=#414e33]~o~[/color] [color=#414e33][font=sylfaen][size=5]Pinkerton Item[/size][/font][/color] [item=berserker] [color=#97af8b][font=sylfaen][size=4](no effect, >5 clan members)[/size][/font][/color] [color=#414e33][font=sylfaen][size=5]Inventory[/size][/font][/color] [color=#97af8b][font=sylfaen][size=4]79 x [img]http://flightrising.com/images/layout/icon_insect.png[/img][color=transparent]...[/color]12 x [img]http://flightrising.com/images/layout/icon_meat.png[/img][color=transparent]...[/color]39 x [img]http://flightrising.com/images/layout/icon_seafood.png[/img][color=transparent]...[/color]0 x [img]http://flightrising.com/images/layout/icon_plant.png[/img] [item=berserker][item=health potion] x 9[/size][/font][/color] [color=#414e33]~o~[/color] [color=#97af8b]@Digimon11 @Geminisun @Petall @Delmaria @Gachou About time I wrote something from Arafius' perspective... and also got to play dragon dress-up! One of Firefly's guilty pleasures is making clothing. She only makes practical stuff, but still feels a bit embarrassed about it. Decided to give them a break from coli for a turn too. They've got enough insects and seafood to get by, though I don't think they'll be enjoying their meals for a few days.[/color] ----- [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2386982/2#post_32709861]< prev chapter[/url] [color=#414e33]|o|[/color] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2386982/4#post_33071847]next chapter >[/url] ----- [img]https://imgur.com/VyWeIOk.png[/img][/center]
..................................... if0JBo8.png ..
chapter six
h u n t e d
.. xm1sIQ8.png ....................................
knAKSRM.png
< prev chapter |o| next chapter >
Turn: 3

~o~

All around him was dark.

In one paw he clutched a lantern with an iron grip, a sole beacon of light in this black expanse. It barely even illuminated the ground at his feet, nevermind anything that might lie ahead. The darkness here seemed heavier than usual, actively resisting the lonely lantern’s glow.

The air was cold. There was no trace of a breeze. The air felt unnaturally still; it felt dead.

Still, he carried on, walking ever onwards into the unknown dark. The sound of his footsteps felt hollow, with no trace of an echo.

I don’t want to do this. I don’t want to see. I don’t want to remember. The same thoughts whirled in his head, over and over. Please. Please. Just let me go. Tears welled up in the corners of his eyes. Please… please… please…

His feet continued to carry him on. He couldn’t control them. He couldn’t stop.

Nothing changed; he still couldn’t see anything, couldn’t smell or hear anything. But suddenly, he knew… there was something ahead. Something giant and looming, something glaring, something that radiated fury and hatred with an intensity far beyond anything he thought possible.

“Ha. Ha. Ha.”

Arafius flinched. No. Not again. I don’t want-- I can’t--

He could feel the presence lean in closer to him, until it hovered right on the periphery of his little bubble of light. The pitiful glow of the lantern reflected off something pale and smooth; something skeletal and long dead. Within its ghastly skull sat two empty sockets, seeming somehow even darker than the air around them. The void within them seemed, somehow, to be sneering at him.

“Coward…” it rumbled, though its jaws did not move.

“P- please, please… just leave me alone, please…” the tundra whimpered, his body now visibly shivering.

“LEAVE. YOU. ALONE?” It’s voice seemed to come from every direction, deafening. “YOU. THINK. THIS. WILL. END? YOU. THINK. YOU. CAN. ESCAPE. ME? HA. HA. HA.”

Its hollow laughter seemed to fill the whole world, drowning out every thought, every hope, every shred of happiness Arafius had ever felt.

“Go. Play. Pretend. With. Your. Little. Family.

But. NEVER. Forget.

I. Am. Coming. For. You. Coward.

YOUR. LIFE. IS. MINE.”

~o~

Arafius’ eyes snapped open.

For one terrifying moment he didn’t recognise his surroundings, and a haze of confusion and panic began to settle over him. Then his gaze settled on Firefly’s slumbering form, and everything came flooding back. The fear subsided. He let out a sigh.

The wildclaw was lazing on her hammock, limbs sprawled out in every direction, snoring loudly. Luna was curled up into a ball in her nest, more resembling a soft tuft of moss than a dragon. Both were sound asleep.

The tundra briefly considered trying to get an extra few hours of sleep himself, but he was restless. Some nervous energy seemed to permeate him, though he didn’t know why. Maybe I had a bad dream? He thought to himself as he groggily hopped out of his hammock and stretched, yawning. His broken wing shot with pain as he tried to move it.

It was still bent wrong. Firefly didn’t know how to tend to serious injuries like that; the best she could do was wrap it with bandages and hope for the best, but Arafius knew that if is wing healed like this, he would never fly again.

He tried not to think about it. That was becoming an increasingly common habit lately. He tried not to think about his situation, or his family, or his broken wing, or how much he missed his home, or how he couldn’t remember anything about how and why he was here. He tried to put on a brave face, to hide his pain behind a goofy smile or some speech quoted word-for-word from his tutor back home. It was the only thing he knew how to do.

Silently he swung open the cabin door and crept outside. It was still dark out. Bioluminescent insects buzzed lazily between thick trees. The sky above was indigo and glittered with distant stars; in the distance, in a gap between the trees, he could see a hint of dawn staining the horizon in shades of purple and red.

He breathed the forest air deeply. It smelled of dirt and leaves and fruit and flowers. The world hummed with life around him, in a thousand different forms and hues. It’s beautiful, he thought to himself. But it’s not my home. I don’t belong here.

His mind wandered back to Firefly and Luna, all alone out here in the wilderness. Did they really need him? Or was he just a burden, weighing them down? He wasn’t used to this life - he didn’t know how it worked, what he was meant to do. He grew up in civilisation, in a bustling mining town - getting food had been as simple as walking to the local market; thoughts of survival, danger, hunger and hardship had never even entered his mind.

No, he wasn’t cut out for this at all. But I agreed to stay. Firefly wants me to stay, and I owe her my life. He sighed. And besides, I’d just die out there if I left.

Still, he couldn’t get the idea out of his mind. He hadn’t known the wildclaw for long, but he liked her. She was his friend, and the only one he had left. He just… he didn’t want to repay her kindness by eating all her food, taking up space and being useless.

And another feeling sat at the edge of his mind, one he could barely grasp. Some feeling of impending doom; not just for him, but for everyone around him as well. He tried to shrug it off, but it lingered there… like some shadow in his periphery, darting away whenever he turned to look.

He stewed in his dark thoughts until the sun finally peaked through the trees; slowly the jungle’s nighttime residents returned to their shadowed holes, replaced by the vibrant creatures of day. He heard the cabin door swing open behind him.

“Oh, there you are, Fluffy!” Firefly said loudly.

“Fuff-ee!” Luna squealed excitedly from her perch between the wildclaw’s wings.

Arafius turned around and forced a smile. “Hey, guys!”

“So I was thinking,” Firefly started as she walked up besides the tundra. “We’ve all been pretty stressed out and grim lately. I figure we deserve a day off. Food’s still tight, obviously, but it’ll last us for now.”

“Yeah, yeah, that sounds good,” the tundra replied, though his heart wasn’t in it.

She continued, “I was thinking I could use some of the stuff we’ve collected to put together some clothes. Maybe something to keep the rain out of your fur! And to help keep us camouflaged in the forest…”

He nodded half-heartedly. Firefly bent down so Luna could hop off her back, and the hatchling immediately pranced off, trying to talk to the various birds and insects that were around. Hard to believe she was nearly two weeks old already.

As soon as she was out of earshot, the wildclaw turned and said, “I know something’s bothering you.”

“Is it that obvious?” He replied drily.

“Yep. But… you don’t have to tell me. I know it’s… it’s hard. Just-- if you ever want to talk, I’m here, okay? You don’t have to bottle it up inside.”

“Umm, thank you.” He felt awkward, but at the same time he appreciated the sentiment. He briefly considered telling her what had been on his mind… but he hesitated and the moment passed, so instead he sat there in silence.

Maybe he did need a day off… but not a day off from work - a day off from worrying instead. Yes, that sounds good. He let himself feel the warm morning sunlight on his back and the gentle breeze in his fur. He took a deep breath, concentrating on all the different smells of the forest, and how relaxing they all were; and he listened to all the animals singing and calling, from songbirds to monkeys.

He knew it wasn’t his home, and he knew he didn’t belong here, and he was far out of his depth. But just for one moment, he didn’t care.

The forest was beautiful. Everything about it was beautiful.

One day, he would find out what happened to him; he’d find a way to go home. But for now, he could try to enjoy being here. He could try to enjoy the time spent with his new friends in this new land.

Even if he didn’t feel like he deserved it. Even if he was afraid.

Even if he was a coward.

~o~

4hRT2Ut.png

b5EvEHE.png

~o~

Pinkerton Item
Berserker
(no effect, >5 clan members)

Inventory

79 x icon_insect.png...12 x icon_meat.png...39 x icon_seafood.png...0 x icon_plant.png

Berserker Health Potion x 9

~o~

@Digimon11 @Geminisun @Petall @Delmaria @Gachou

About time I wrote something from Arafius' perspective... and also got to play dragon dress-up! One of Firefly's guilty pleasures is making clothing. She only makes practical stuff, but still feels a bit embarrassed about it.

Decided to give them a break from coli for a turn too. They've got enough insects and seafood to get by, though I don't think they'll be enjoying their meals for a few days.

< prev chapter |o| next chapter >
VyWeIOk.png
@Charias

Oh the poor fluffbutt...I wonder what he did way back when. I'm excited to find out~.
@Charias

Oh the poor fluffbutt...I wonder what he did way back when. I'm excited to find out~.
@Charias

Oh. My. Goodness. What an amazing update!!! I could imagine the skeletal being so clearly, I really could!!! I'm dying to know what is going on there and I am so very excited to find out!!! I just have to ask, was it a skeletal dragon? And if it was, what breed was it???
@Charias

Oh. My. Goodness. What an amazing update!!! I could imagine the skeletal being so clearly, I really could!!! I'm dying to know what is going on there and I am so very excited to find out!!! I just have to ask, was it a skeletal dragon? And if it was, what breed was it???
@Petall

Thank you so much!! <3 I'm really excited to be getting to the ~plot~ stuff, it's really fun to write. I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Aaa I don't know if answering those questions counts as a spoiler or not. Hmm. Well, I'll just black it out so anybody who doesn't want a mini tiny spoiler can ignore it. Yes, it's a dragon! An imperial, to be specific. Much bigger than poor Arafius.
@Petall

Thank you so much!! <3 I'm really excited to be getting to the ~plot~ stuff, it's really fun to write. I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Aaa I don't know if answering those questions counts as a spoiler or not. Hmm. Well, I'll just black it out so anybody who doesn't want a mini tiny spoiler can ignore it. Yes, it's a dragon! An imperial, to be specific. Much bigger than poor Arafius.
@Charias Please add me to the pinglist! This is great :O
@Charias Please add me to the pinglist! This is great :O
tumblr_otmyhkjv3F1v8lm95o2_75sq.png
tumblr_ospvc67HxP1v8lm95o2_r2_250.gif
tumblr_otmyhkjv3F1v8lm95o1_75sq.png
1 2 3 4 5