Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Diaries Round 12 - Complete!
1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
thank you for another fun round!
thank you for another fun round!
watershieldl.png85421520.png21406.png24305546.pngfireshieldr.png
Hello everyone! It's been over half a year since the last round of Dragon Diaries, so you probably all thought it was dead or that I had run out of ideas. But the truth is, SOOO much has been going on with my clan that I wasn't sure how to cover it all. But finally I've decided, I'll spare myself the pressure and just dive straight into where things are now. So yes, things have changed immensely for the Brightwing Clan, but I still have what should be a fun round in store. If you're new to Dragon Diaries, there's an [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2134863/1#post_2134863]index on the first post [/url]allowing you to hop between all 11 rounds, each with 12 entries written in the perspective of 12 different dragons. [b]But you don't need to read them all to understand the current round! Each round can be read on its own.[/b] Ongoing rounds are updated daily. As usual, comments are welcome! And as usual, we're kicking things off with two entries... [center] ~ ~~~ [b]Day 1:[/b] Elyant[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=39266832] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/392669/39266832.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]My name is Elyant, but it wasn’t always. When I was born, my father Cyrus called me Inkwell because of my lack of coloring. I have no memory of my mother, who seemed to have disappeared from the Brightwing lands as suddenly as she had come. Only later did a mysterious visitor explain just what she was… and by extension what my sister and I are, along with our true names. To say the revelation surprised me would be untrue. I’d never felt much of a connection or sense of belonging with fellow dragons. What I did connect to was the land itself, the flora, the birds in the trees, the rhythm of the passing seasons. In spring I felt most alive, energized, and I would share that energy with the burgeoning sprouts emerging from the thawing earth. Likewise, my sister shared a bond with the returning cold, stirred into song to guide in the snowfall. But now we know why. The blood of Celestials flow through our veins: powerful guardian spirits of the skies, servants of the divine. Our lineage decrees that we are meant to protect the land, and the souls therein. And yet, as I had never been called upon to fulfill this duty, I am still not sure exactly what it entails -- or what sort of enemy to watch for. But this morning I woke with a strange sense of premonition. I could feel a taint in the air, an inexplicable wickedness. Evil had come to Brightwing, one like our clan had never before seen. I knew not what or where. All I knew is that it was up to Ellisphira and I to find this source of evil. And once we do, I can only hope that I will be able to intuit exactly what must be done… [/indent][/i] [center]~~~ ~[/center] [center] ~ ~~~ [b]Day 2:[/b] Pyron[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41057880] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/410579/41057880.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]I remember when I was first summoned into this festering fleshbag of a body. I wasn’t too thrilled about it. Bound to the beck and call of this fool of a mortal who thinks he can wield our power without destroying himself in the process? I didn’t ask for this. In the world I came from, I was a prince! I had underlings, they obeyed me! Now I’m supposed to be the subservient one? But soon enough, I started discovering advantages to my new position. First off, my summoner was an angst-ridden young dragon who turned out to be oh so fun to torment! Enigma produces plenty of delicious, delicious misery to keep a netherling like myself sated. But even better was the kin sacrifice, when he signed over the soul of his firstborn in a bid for more power. And now lovely little Porcelain is all mine. Sure, I may have been bending the rules a tiny bit -- a single demon isn’t technically allowed to own a soul all to himself. But why drag her to the netherworld when I can have her all to myself? Her family is happy to keep her around. As for me, I confess, I enjoy my little mortal -- at least as much as I could enjoy a revolting fleshbag. So it’s more or less a win-win. But today as I checked the cursed tome that was my method of communication with my kin, I found an unsettling message: [b]We’re onto you, Instigator. Discipline is coming.[/b] I hissed a bitter curse before slamming shut the tome and slinking through the halls of House Eros. “We have a problem,” I told Enigma when I found him on the stairs, probably on the way to visit his new little girlfriend, the daughter of his master. He just glowered at me, moody as usual. “What did you do now, Pyron?” I snickered despite myself. “I can’t take the blame for this one this time. At least, not all of it. But you know how we were kind of exploiting an itty bitty loophole in keeping Porcelain here with us?” Enigma’s eyes rounded at the implication. “Is she in danger?” The apprentice Blood Mage’s aura crackled as he began calling on his power. “Oh, you have no idea,” I said. “You better be ready for a fight, mortal. We’re about to see the armies of Netherworld itself.” [/indent][/i] [center]~~~ ~[/center]
Hello everyone! It's been over half a year since the last round of Dragon Diaries, so you probably all thought it was dead or that I had run out of ideas. But the truth is, SOOO much has been going on with my clan that I wasn't sure how to cover it all. But finally I've decided, I'll spare myself the pressure and just dive straight into where things are now.

So yes, things have changed immensely for the Brightwing Clan, but I still have what should be a fun round in store. If you're new to Dragon Diaries, there's an index on the first post allowing you to hop between all 11 rounds, each with 12 entries written in the perspective of 12 different dragons. But you don't need to read them all to understand the current round! Each round can be read on its own.

Ongoing rounds are updated daily. As usual, comments are welcome! And as usual, we're kicking things off with two entries...
~
~~~
Day 1: Elyant
39266832.png
My name is Elyant, but it wasn’t always. When I was born, my father Cyrus called me Inkwell because of my lack of coloring. I have no memory of my mother, who seemed to have disappeared from the Brightwing lands as suddenly as she had come. Only later did a mysterious visitor explain just what she was… and by extension what my sister and I are, along with our true names.

To say the revelation surprised me would be untrue. I’d never felt much of a connection or sense of belonging with fellow dragons. What I did connect to was the land itself, the flora, the birds in the trees, the rhythm of the passing seasons. In spring I felt most alive, energized, and I would share that energy with the burgeoning sprouts emerging from the thawing earth. Likewise, my sister shared a bond with the returning cold, stirred into song to guide in the snowfall.

But now we know why. The blood of Celestials flow through our veins: powerful guardian spirits of the skies, servants of the divine. Our lineage decrees that we are meant to protect the land, and the souls therein.

And yet, as I had never been called upon to fulfill this duty, I am still not sure exactly what it entails -- or what sort of enemy to watch for. But this morning I woke with a strange sense of premonition. I could feel a taint in the air, an inexplicable wickedness. Evil had come to Brightwing, one like our clan had never before seen. I knew not what or where. All I knew is that it was up to Ellisphira and I to find this source of evil.

And once we do, I can only hope that I will be able to intuit exactly what must be done…
~~~
~
~
~~~
Day 2: Pyron
41057880.png
I remember when I was first summoned into this festering fleshbag of a body. I wasn’t too thrilled about it. Bound to the beck and call of this fool of a mortal who thinks he can wield our power without destroying himself in the process? I didn’t ask for this. In the world I came from, I was a prince! I had underlings, they obeyed me! Now I’m supposed to be the subservient one?

But soon enough, I started discovering advantages to my new position. First off, my summoner was an angst-ridden young dragon who turned out to be oh so fun to torment! Enigma produces plenty of delicious, delicious misery to keep a netherling like myself sated. But even better was the kin sacrifice, when he signed over the soul of his firstborn in a bid for more power. And now lovely little Porcelain is all mine. Sure, I may have been bending the rules a tiny bit -- a single demon isn’t technically allowed to own a soul all to himself. But why drag her to the netherworld when I can have her all to myself? Her family is happy to keep her around. As for me, I confess, I enjoy my little mortal -- at least as much as I could enjoy a revolting fleshbag. So it’s more or less a win-win.

But today as I checked the cursed tome that was my method of communication with my kin, I found an unsettling message:

We’re onto you, Instigator. Discipline is coming.

I hissed a bitter curse before slamming shut the tome and slinking through the halls of House Eros. “We have a problem,” I told Enigma when I found him on the stairs, probably on the way to visit his new little girlfriend, the daughter of his master.

He just glowered at me, moody as usual. “What did you do now, Pyron?”

I snickered despite myself. “I can’t take the blame for this one this time. At least, not all of it. But you know how we were kind of exploiting an itty bitty loophole in keeping Porcelain here with us?”

Enigma’s eyes rounded at the implication. “Is she in danger?” The apprentice Blood Mage’s aura crackled as he began calling on his power.

“Oh, you have no idea,” I said. “You better be ready for a fight, mortal. We’re about to see the armies of Netherworld itself.”
~~~
~
TpW6gwi.png
GRABS MY POPCORN
GRABS MY POPCORN
watershieldl.png85421520.png21406.png24305546.pngfireshieldr.png
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 3:[/b] Deirdre[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=37876042] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/378761/37876042.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]When I left House Eros, I wasn't actually sure what happiness was for me. All I knew is what it wasn't: all the things encapsulated by House Eros. Ambition. Magic. Lustful passions. Yes, some of those things felt good in the moment: being loved by the vivacious Archmage Romance, being involved in his ambitious plans -- it was a wave of trepidation and thrill. But inevitably there was pain. At best I had to endure heartbreak every time I saw Romance chase yet another new love. At worst I had to sit by as my grandson Enigma swore over the soul of his daughter to a demon, just to further his own ambitions. No more, I decided. I couldn’t stop them from doing what they do, but I didn’t have to be a part of it. But what did I want? I still didn’t know. At first I’d only approached Cyrus' cart as a distraction. I’d casually mentioned to the Coatl that I enjoyed cooking. His purple eyes glittered vividly as he declared he had an idea... A few moons had passed since then. Now here I am with my own cart, the warm scent of crepes rising to tease the noses of passersby. I’d fallen into a comfortable routine. Get up at dawn, spend the morning hours baking goods, lost in the haze of warmth and sweet smells. Then in the afternoon, I sold them. I might not be as outspoken as Cyrus, but the sights and smells are their own advertising. And how I love the smiles of the dragons enjoying them! Cyrus' own cart was just up the hill. I smiled to watch the Coatl eagerly enticing dragons over to peruse his many knick-knacks. And in the shadows, I could see Wolf stalking. Our son had inherited my soft-spoken nature, but he let his bow do the talking. And it usually only had one message: you'd better not leave without paying for that. I chuckled to myself as my gaze climbed toward the horizon. What sort of customers I might see today? [/indent][/i] [center]~~~ ~[/center]
~
~~~
Day 3: Deirdre
37876042.png
When I left House Eros, I wasn't actually sure what happiness was for me. All I knew is what it wasn't: all the things encapsulated by House Eros. Ambition. Magic. Lustful passions. Yes, some of those things felt good in the moment: being loved by the vivacious Archmage Romance, being involved in his ambitious plans -- it was a wave of trepidation and thrill.

But inevitably there was pain. At best I had to endure heartbreak every time I saw Romance chase yet another new love. At worst I had to sit by as my grandson Enigma swore over the soul of his daughter to a demon, just to further his own ambitions.

No more, I decided. I couldn’t stop them from doing what they do, but I didn’t have to be a part of it. But what did I want? I still didn’t know.

At first I’d only approached Cyrus' cart as a distraction. I’d casually mentioned to the Coatl that I enjoyed cooking. His purple eyes glittered vividly as he declared he had an idea...

A few moons had passed since then. Now here I am with my own cart, the warm scent of crepes rising to tease the noses of passersby. I’d fallen into a comfortable routine. Get up at dawn, spend the morning hours baking goods, lost in the haze of warmth and sweet smells. Then in the afternoon, I sold them. I might not be as outspoken as Cyrus, but the sights and smells are their own advertising. And how I love the smiles of the dragons enjoying them!

Cyrus' own cart was just up the hill. I smiled to watch the Coatl eagerly enticing dragons over to peruse his many knick-knacks. And in the shadows, I could see Wolf stalking. Our son had inherited my soft-spoken nature, but he let his bow do the talking. And it usually only had one message: you'd better not leave without paying for that.

I chuckled to myself as my gaze climbed toward the horizon. What sort of customers I might see today?
~~~
~
TpW6gwi.png
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 4:[/b] Cyrus[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=32053053] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/320531/32053053.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]Hello, hello, come one and all and witness the spectacular writings of Cyrus the Coatl! No mere merchant am I any longer. Now I’m the founder of one of the fastest-growing Noble families of Brightwing, the magnificent House Chromatic. And one of the recent achievements of our House is supplanting the lovely Deirdre from the powerful House Eros. I must admit I never much cared for that Archmage and his fantastically bloated ego. So to have something that was once his -- well, a dragon can’t help but feel a touch smug, I confess it! When I spotted that selfsame dragon approaching my cart, I felt a twinge of spitefulness, particularly when the first question that passed his lips was, “Where’s Deirdre?” I offered a calculated smile. “I must say, Mister Archmage, I don’t think Deirdre is particularly interested in seeing you right now. The last time you spoke with her left her most distressed, you know. What kind of dragon would I be if I just let you waltz up and bully her some more?” His eyes narrowed in exasperation. “This isn’t about me, Cyrus. Someone she cares about is in danger. I’ve come to ask for her help.” “In danger, you say?” A conversation I had with one of my sons flickered across my mind. “This danger wouldn’t happen to involve forces of the Netherworld, would it?” He stole a double take. “Now how could you possibly know that?” I prodded my temple. “I have connections, my friend. And if it’s Netherworldly forces you’ll be fighting, I know exactly what you need -- and before you roll your eyes, I swear, I’m not trying to sell you something! No, it’s not a [u]what[/u] you need but a [u]who[/u]. You see, not long ago, I learned something deeply fascinating. As it turns out, a former girlfriend of mine happened to be a Celestial. You know, those divine spirits that specialize in protecting dragons from forces of the Netherworld?” I spread my hands as though to clinch a sale. “And those same powers were inherited by my son and daughter!” The Archmage stewed over this. “And how do I go about finding these offspring of yours?” he finally asked. I just grinned, leaning forward. “Have you ever tried praying?” [/indent][/i] [center]~~~ ~[/center]
~
~~~
Day 4: Cyrus
32053053.png
Hello, hello, come one and all and witness the spectacular writings of Cyrus the Coatl! No mere merchant am I any longer. Now I’m the founder of one of the fastest-growing Noble families of Brightwing, the magnificent House Chromatic. And one of the recent achievements of our House is supplanting the lovely Deirdre from the powerful House Eros. I must admit I never much cared for that Archmage and his fantastically bloated ego. So to have something that was once his -- well, a dragon can’t help but feel a touch smug, I confess it!

When I spotted that selfsame dragon approaching my cart, I felt a twinge of spitefulness, particularly when the first question that passed his lips was, “Where’s Deirdre?”

I offered a calculated smile. “I must say, Mister Archmage, I don’t think Deirdre is particularly interested in seeing you right now. The last time you spoke with her left her most distressed, you know. What kind of dragon would I be if I just let you waltz up and bully her some more?”

His eyes narrowed in exasperation. “This isn’t about me, Cyrus. Someone she cares about is in danger. I’ve come to ask for her help.”

“In danger, you say?” A conversation I had with one of my sons flickered across my mind. “This danger wouldn’t happen to involve forces of the Netherworld, would it?”

He stole a double take. “Now how could you possibly know that?”

I prodded my temple. “I have connections, my friend. And if it’s Netherworldly forces you’ll be fighting, I know exactly what you need -- and before you roll your eyes, I swear, I’m not trying to sell you something! No, it’s not a what you need but a who. You see, not long ago, I learned something deeply fascinating. As it turns out, a former girlfriend of mine happened to be a Celestial. You know, those divine spirits that specialize in protecting dragons from forces of the Netherworld?” I spread my hands as though to clinch a sale. “And those same powers were inherited by my son and daughter!”

The Archmage stewed over this. “And how do I go about finding these offspring of yours?” he finally asked.

I just grinned, leaning forward. “Have you ever tried praying?”
~~~
~
TpW6gwi.png
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 5:[/b] Urias[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=34789639] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/347897/34789639.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]The nature of sacrifice is something I understand more than most. Not just any dragon would sacrifice his own ability to walk under the sunlight in the interest in furthering one’s magic, as I have. Not just anyone would sign over a contract with forces of darkness for the sake of understanding the deepest secrets of the universe. But with sacrifice, there are rules. You do not want to be reckless. You must weigh the cost, think each option over thoroughly before choosing to move forward. And above all, you never want to give the upper hand to the forces you are negotiating with. They may be a necessary evil but they are not, and will never be, our allies. That is something my apprentice never understood. I realized the dismal truth of it when he presented to me the thing he had summoned: a demonic thrall called Pyron. Such things should not walk our world. And so I forbade Enigma to ever bring it into my cellar again. I made it clear that if it ever gave him trouble, it was his burden to bear; I would not be assisting him. Not that my aid would do much good to begin with. As Blood Mages, our power sources from the Netherworld, so it would be all but worthless against the beings that dwell there. And yet I found myself needing to deal with the consequences of Enigma’s actions in one way in particular. I never expected to form bonds with other dragons that walked this world besides contractual bonds of mutual advancement. But I have. And that entails certain responsibilities. “Calanthe,” I said, catching the orchid-colored skydancer playing around in my laboratory. “Didn’t I tell you not to touch the red vials -- ah, never mind about that. I need you to do something.” The girl rose to attention, excitement flickering in her golden gaze as her tail whipped back and forth (nearly knocking over the aforementioned vials, I noticed in alarm). “I need you to go get B, Larkspur, and Rafflesia, and bring them all down here to my cellar,” I told her. “Something bad is going to happen to House Eros, and I don’t want them getting caught in the crossfire. Get them down here as fast as you can. Do you understand?” Calanthe seemed delighted to be asked to do something. “On it, Father!” [/indent][/i] [center]~~~ ~[/center] B, Larkspur, and Rafflesia belong to @roselapis !
~
~~~
Day 5: Urias
34789639.png
The nature of sacrifice is something I understand more than most. Not just any dragon would sacrifice his own ability to walk under the sunlight in the interest in furthering one’s magic, as I have. Not just anyone would sign over a contract with forces of darkness for the sake of understanding the deepest secrets of the universe.

But with sacrifice, there are rules. You do not want to be reckless. You must weigh the cost, think each option over thoroughly before choosing to move forward. And above all, you never want to give the upper hand to the forces you are negotiating with. They may be a necessary evil but they are not, and will never be, our allies.

That is something my apprentice never understood. I realized the dismal truth of it when he presented to me the thing he had summoned: a demonic thrall called Pyron. Such things should not walk our world. And so I forbade Enigma to ever bring it into my cellar again. I made it clear that if it ever gave him trouble, it was his burden to bear; I would not be assisting him. Not that my aid would do much good to begin with. As Blood Mages, our power sources from the Netherworld, so it would be all but worthless against the beings that dwell there.

And yet I found myself needing to deal with the consequences of Enigma’s actions in one way in particular. I never expected to form bonds with other dragons that walked this world besides contractual bonds of mutual advancement. But I have. And that entails certain responsibilities.

“Calanthe,” I said, catching the orchid-colored skydancer playing around in my laboratory. “Didn’t I tell you not to touch the red vials -- ah, never mind about that. I need you to do something.”

The girl rose to attention, excitement flickering in her golden gaze as her tail whipped back and forth (nearly knocking over the aforementioned vials, I noticed in alarm).

“I need you to go get B, Larkspur, and Rafflesia, and bring them all down here to my cellar,” I told her. “Something bad is going to happen to House Eros, and I don’t want them getting caught in the crossfire. Get them down here as fast as you can. Do you understand?”

Calanthe seemed delighted to be asked to do something. “On it, Father!”
~~~
~

B, Larkspur, and Rafflesia belong to @roselapis !
TpW6gwi.png
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 6:[/b] Calanthe[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=29348818] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/293489/29348818.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]Father always seems to be telling me what not to do. "Don't touch the red vials or the green ones." "Don't tamper with the back wall that I just repaired." "Don't mess with the lever that opens the doorway to the cellar." So when he told me TO do something, I was elated! Finally, I can show him how useful I can be. I'd go get everybody and bring them back in a blink of an eye! Never mind that I'd kind of forgotten the way back to the Eros residence. I remembered that it was super far away from the Archives -- to be fair, it was super far away from everything, that was the whole reason all of us decided to stay there. But that set of cliffs on the ridge looked familiar, so I took a deep breath, donned a fabulous smile, and started forward. And at first everything was going great. I discovered three different varieties of wild orchid and caught sight of the cutest little brown rabbit hopping by. And then I was stopped by the creepiest voice of all time. [b]"I cannot allow you to go any further."[/b] So let me preface this by saying I don't scare easy. Things that creep out most dragons like spiders, blood, or gore? Those just fascinate me. But the owner of this voice will probably haunt my nightmares for the next, I don't know, forever probably. The dragon -- if he even was a dragon -- towered over me. His features were fiery, and not in the colorful sense: his mane was literally burning, the scent of sulfur hung thick in the air around him. Glowing chainmail clinked from his gargantuan form, hinting at thick musculature beneath. And his body was lined with a row of freakish red eyes that ran from his head all the way to his tail. But the scariest thing of all was in his hand: a long, thick whip lined with metallic spikes that looked like it could rip the scales from a dragon's flesh. As those dozens of eyes fixed upon me, any sense of confidence inside me eroded into flower petals floating away in the wind. I screamed.[/indent][/i] [center]~~~ ~[/center]
~
~~~
Day 6: Calanthe
29348818.png
Father always seems to be telling me what not to do. "Don't touch the red vials or the green ones." "Don't tamper with the back wall that I just repaired." "Don't mess with the lever that opens the doorway to the cellar." So when he told me TO do something, I was elated! Finally, I can show him how useful I can be. I'd go get everybody and bring them back in a blink of an eye!

Never mind that I'd kind of forgotten the way back to the Eros residence. I remembered that it was super far away from the Archives -- to be fair, it was super far away from everything, that was the whole reason all of us decided to stay there. But that set of cliffs on the ridge looked familiar, so I took a deep breath, donned a fabulous smile, and started forward. And at first everything was going great. I discovered three different varieties of wild orchid and caught sight of the cutest little brown rabbit hopping by.

And then I was stopped by the creepiest voice of all time.

"I cannot allow you to go any further."

So let me preface this by saying I don't scare easy. Things that creep out most dragons like spiders, blood, or gore? Those just fascinate me. But the owner of this voice will probably haunt my nightmares for the next, I don't know, forever probably. The dragon -- if he even was a dragon -- towered over me. His features were fiery, and not in the colorful sense: his mane was literally burning, the scent of sulfur hung thick in the air around him. Glowing chainmail clinked from his gargantuan form, hinting at thick musculature beneath. And his body was lined with a row of freakish red eyes that ran from his head all the way to his tail. But the scariest thing of all was in his hand: a long, thick whip lined with metallic spikes that looked like it could rip the scales from a dragon's flesh.

As those dozens of eyes fixed upon me, any sense of confidence inside me eroded into flower petals floating away in the wind. I screamed.
~~~
~
TpW6gwi.png
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 7:[/b] Diabolus[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=43230223] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/432303/43230223.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]It is a little known fact, but the netherworld is very often embroiled in civil disarray. We are, in a sense, as ruthless and cut-throat toward ourselves as we are toward our enemies. But it should not come as a surprise when one pauses to consider how we came to be here in the first place: we rebelled. Disobedience and upheaval comes natural to us. And yet, an empire divided against itself crumbles, and so we’ve taken precautions against such things. I am a General. Yet the army I summon does not do battle against Celestials, nor against those of mortal flesh. We exist for one purpose only: to punish the dissenters of our own kind, forcing them back into line. The whip I carry; designed specifically to inflict agony upon a disobedient demon. Though it works well enough on mortals, too. The shrieking skydancer in my path probably wasn’t going to be a problem. I easily could have bypassed her and continued on my way to confront Instigator Pyron and confiscate the soul he’d taken. But I did not become a general by leaving the possibility of loose ends. Facing the irritating vermin, I uncoiled my weapon and prepared to strike. But I was distracted. Because just then, a single arrow darted in my direction and lodged itself precisely in one of my many eyes. Anger rolled through me like steam. I mounted up to regard my attacker: a measly, colorless Pearlcatcher (the same breed by which my own physical form resembled) crouched on a distant cliffside with a bow in hand. The fool. What proved to be little more than a minor irritation to me would become this mortal’s end. I would enjoy rendering him into fleshy stew. As I started toward him, armor clinking, flames undulating in my wake, I watched his eyes go round as he recognized his mistake. He turned to mount up on wings to flee -- but he would not get far. [/indent][/i] [center]~~~ ~[/center]
~
~~~
Day 7: Diabolus
43230223.png
It is a little known fact, but the netherworld is very often embroiled in civil disarray. We are, in a sense, as ruthless and cut-throat toward ourselves as we are toward our enemies. But it should not come as a surprise when one pauses to consider how we came to be here in the first place: we rebelled. Disobedience and upheaval comes natural to us. And yet, an empire divided against itself crumbles, and so we’ve taken precautions against such things.

I am a General. Yet the army I summon does not do battle against Celestials, nor against those of mortal flesh. We exist for one purpose only: to punish the dissenters of our own kind, forcing them back into line. The whip I carry; designed specifically to inflict agony upon a disobedient demon.

Though it works well enough on mortals, too.

The shrieking skydancer in my path probably wasn’t going to be a problem. I easily could have bypassed her and continued on my way to confront Instigator Pyron and confiscate the soul he’d taken. But I did not become a general by leaving the possibility of loose ends. Facing the irritating vermin, I uncoiled my weapon and prepared to strike.

But I was distracted. Because just then, a single arrow darted in my direction and lodged itself precisely in one of my many eyes.

Anger rolled through me like steam. I mounted up to regard my attacker: a measly, colorless Pearlcatcher (the same breed by which my own physical form resembled) crouched on a distant cliffside with a bow in hand.

The fool. What proved to be little more than a minor irritation to me would become this mortal’s end. I would enjoy rendering him into fleshy stew. As I started toward him, armor clinking, flames undulating in my wake, I watched his eyes go round as he recognized his mistake.

He turned to mount up on wings to flee -- but he would not get far.
~~~
~
TpW6gwi.png
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 8:[/b] Wolf[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44055907] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/440560/44055907.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]My half-siblings were on their way; this much I knew. But how long they’d be and the manner of their arrival eluded me. So maybe I shouldn’t have provoked the demon lord. From my vantage point on the cliffs, I’d seen it all. The screaming girl. The nightmarish being. I’d acted without thought, driven by sheer hubris, certain my bow could strike true even from such a distance. And so it had. But perhaps it’d have been better if I missed. I had no plan of action for afterward, once the demon lord’s attentions were drawn to me. In hindsight, maybe I’d only wanted to prove myself. All of my half siblings were something great. My half-brother Aura was High Philosopher, whose wisdom was renown above all others in the clan. My half-siblings Elyant and Ellisphira had blood of Celestials. Meanwhile, I was merely the son of a crepe seller that my father had taken a shine to. I had skill with a bow, but what was that in comparison to my siblings? A mere arrow was not about to bring down this creature with its many eyes and searing armor. He hardly seemed fazed by my direct hit! I had no choice but to turn and flee, scanning the terrain for a cleft within the stone I might duck into for shelter. The ground trembled as my pursuer swept in behind me. As he descended, the very stones blackened at the heat of him, the air growing thick with sulfuric fumes. A whip cracked above my head, and I thanked the Eleven for the set of alabaster armor that protected my wings and chest. Still I couldn’t escape the thought that I might be cooked alive in it. I had no choice. Gathering my wits, I turned to face the nightmarish figure, nearly blinded by the flames that crackled around him and all those menacing red eyes. Again I took up my bow. Uttering a quick prayer under by breath, I docked an arrow and fired... [/indent][/i] [center]~~~ ~[/center]
~
~~~
Day 8: Wolf
44055907.png
My half-siblings were on their way; this much I knew. But how long they’d be and the manner of their arrival eluded me. So maybe I shouldn’t have provoked the demon lord.

From my vantage point on the cliffs, I’d seen it all. The screaming girl. The nightmarish being. I’d acted without thought, driven by sheer hubris, certain my bow could strike true even from such a distance. And so it had.

But perhaps it’d have been better if I missed.

I had no plan of action for afterward, once the demon lord’s attentions were drawn to me. In hindsight, maybe I’d only wanted to prove myself. All of my half siblings were something great. My half-brother Aura was High Philosopher, whose wisdom was renown above all others in the clan. My half-siblings Elyant and Ellisphira had blood of Celestials. Meanwhile, I was merely the son of a crepe seller that my father had taken a shine to. I had skill with a bow, but what was that in comparison to my siblings? A mere arrow was not about to bring down this creature with its many eyes and searing armor. He hardly seemed fazed by my direct hit!

I had no choice but to turn and flee, scanning the terrain for a cleft within the stone I might duck into for shelter.

The ground trembled as my pursuer swept in behind me. As he descended, the very stones blackened at the heat of him, the air growing thick with sulfuric fumes. A whip cracked above my head, and I thanked the Eleven for the set of alabaster armor that protected my wings and chest. Still I couldn’t escape the thought that I might be cooked alive in it.

I had no choice. Gathering my wits, I turned to face the nightmarish figure, nearly blinded by the flames that crackled around him and all those menacing red eyes. Again I took up my bow. Uttering a quick prayer under by breath, I docked an arrow and fired...
~~~
~
TpW6gwi.png
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 9:[/b] Ellisphira[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=39266829] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/392669/39266829.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]Winter seldom arrives unannounced. Its approach is marked months in advance -- the leaves are bathed in radiant color, and a chill threads to the air deep enough to spread to the bone. In this way I imagine my foe sensed me gliding near, long before I touched down upon the earth. He was ready for me, whip uncoiled, flames burning fiercely around him -- intense heat to counter my ice. He will discover soon enough, though, that I am not really an ice dragon at all. I am the light that gleams off the snowdrifts, the comforting glow of the hearth while dragons gather around to weather out the chill. I am the song that bids the fragile snowflakes to make their tumultuous descent. I noticed a strange sight as I drew nearer to was my enemy. Several arrows seemed to be sticking out from his body: he did not seem bothered by them, and yet, what could have happened that they had gotten lodged there? And then I glimpsed it: the crumpled form of a familiar monochrome Pearlcatcher. My half-brother Wolf. My breath caught in my throat as horror descended upon me. Surely he could not be…? I regarded my enemy, this manifestation of wickedness, a furnace that brews suffering and despair, and felt conviction swell anew within my bones. Before I had come simply because I was duty-bound by my blood and recently discovered heritage. But now I had a deeper reason to fight. It is a mysterious thing how duty alone lacks the motivating power of friendship, of kinship, of love. Wolf was my family. And now, like a blizzard that sweeps over the earth, I shall defend him. [/indent][/i] [center]~~~ ~[/center] [size=2]Sorry for the delay guys... I kinda got slammed by work and deadlines and all that fun stuff. But I should be back to daily updates again... hopefully ;.;[/size]
~
~~~
Day 9: Ellisphira
39266829.png
Winter seldom arrives unannounced. Its approach is marked months in advance -- the leaves are bathed in radiant color, and a chill threads to the air deep enough to spread to the bone.

In this way I imagine my foe sensed me gliding near, long before I touched down upon the earth. He was ready for me, whip uncoiled, flames burning fiercely around him -- intense heat to counter my ice.

He will discover soon enough, though, that I am not really an ice dragon at all. I am the light that gleams off the snowdrifts, the comforting glow of the hearth while dragons gather around to weather out the chill. I am the song that bids the fragile snowflakes to make their tumultuous descent.

I noticed a strange sight as I drew nearer to was my enemy. Several arrows seemed to be sticking out from his body: he did not seem bothered by them, and yet, what could have happened that they had gotten lodged there? And then I glimpsed it: the crumpled form of a familiar monochrome Pearlcatcher. My half-brother Wolf. My breath caught in my throat as horror descended upon me.

Surely he could not be…?

I regarded my enemy, this manifestation of wickedness, a furnace that brews suffering and despair, and felt conviction swell anew within my bones. Before I had come simply because I was duty-bound by my blood and recently discovered heritage. But now I had a deeper reason to fight. It is a mysterious thing how duty alone lacks the motivating power of friendship, of kinship, of love. Wolf was my family.

And now, like a blizzard that sweeps over the earth, I shall defend him.
~~~
~

Sorry for the delay guys... I kinda got slammed by work and deadlines and all that fun stuff. But I should be back to daily updates again... hopefully ;.;
TpW6gwi.png
1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31