Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | A Feast of Flowers [Pinkerlocke]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28 29
[center][size=6][color=green][b]Day 9[/b][/color][/size] [item=Damaged Battlehorn] [i]Art[/i] ----- @Fitali @Solaristigres - [i]Thanks, I hope you continue to enjoy.[/i] ----- [quote name=Akebia date=Prologue] [columns][img]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/Dragon_Wolfie/FR%20Akebia%20unclothed%20avatar.png[/img][nextcol] "I could try something artistic? Ooh, painting! I’ll do claw painting like the hatchlings do with Uncle Iolo. Just think of all the colours! That’d be fun, yeah?"[/columns] [/quote] [img]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/Dragon_Wolfie/FR%20Akebia%20Claw%20Painting.png[/img] Not his calling, but fun nonetheless.[/center] ----- [i]Akebia did not inherit his mother's artistic talents. Claw painting is the dragon equivalent of finger painting. I used the calligraphy pen brush in paint to mimic a claw crooked on its side.[/i]
Day 9

Damaged Battlehorn
Art

@Fitali @Solaristigres - Thanks, I hope you continue to enjoy.

Akebia wrote on Prologue:
FR%20Akebia%20unclothed%20avatar.png "I could try something artistic? Ooh, painting! I’ll do claw painting like the hatchlings do with Uncle Iolo. Just think of all the colours! That’d be fun, yeah?"

FR%20Akebia%20Claw%20Painting.png
Not his calling, but fun nonetheless.

Akebia did not inherit his mother's artistic talents.
Claw painting is the dragon equivalent of finger painting. I used the calligraphy pen brush in paint to mimic a claw crooked on its side.
JWACnXB.gif UxreU62.png yMwAJm4.gif
@Dragonwolfie This is so cute, I'm smiling so wide :D
@Dragonwolfie This is so cute, I'm smiling so wide :D
tumblr_nwsrmeoR4W1sk2f1lo1_500.png
[center][size=6][color=green][b]Day 10[/b][/color][/size] [item=Blueridge Fin] [i]Coliseum 40-50 matches[/i] [i]Warning: mild peril and fighting.[/i] ----- @Fitali @Solaristigres[/center] ----- A high-pitched squeal of fright had Akebia’s heart jump right up into his throat and he sprinted across the border into the Everbloom Gardens at top speed. Flashes of light and heavy thumps urged him on. Akebia crashed though a stand of tall grass, uncaring that he crushed a low lying orchid in his mad dash. What he saw when he reached the spot where they’d left Aiki was every carer’s nightmare: his little one under attack. Jake roared as he reared up, frills flared wide in threat, and then lunged forward to sink his teeth into the shoulder of the massive Blueridge Greatshell. The Blueridge thrashed wildly and threw him off before continuing forward: slow and clumsy, but as inexorable as a felled tree. Aiki huddled low to the ground, arms wrapped tight around his pearl. A low, terrified whine escaped him and Blossom dipped lower to hover protectively over him. Wren flew up and flashed brightly in the monster’s face. It roared its displeasure at being blinded, but did not stop. Jake struggled to his flippers and lunged again. Pacing and stalking in a rough circle around them like a rowdy crowd around a brawl were a mass of other creatures; penning them in, forcing them to stay and fight rather than flee the onslaught. This was crazy! Usually you’d have to go to the darkest depths of the Shrieking Wilds to find this kind of behaviour from the wildlife. The Everbloom Gardens was the safest region of the Viridian Labyrinth. Most creatures living there would only attack when provoked. Akebia shrieked in pure outrage and charged forward with no regard for his own safety: he was outnumbered by at least fifty to one, but his only thought was to protect Aiki. He barged straight into a Leafy Moth - claws tearing through its side - ducked as a Glowing Pocket Mouse leapt for his face, sliced a second Leafy Moth, and Shredded through a Ruby Webwing. [columns][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/163258/16325779p.png[/img][nextcol] “Blossom, go and get the others!”[/columns] Blossom sprang up and for a second Akebia saw the look of pure relief on her face, before she zoomed away trailing sparks of forest green magic like a comet. An Emerald Webwing made a swipe at her, but she was too quick. Akebia’s initial plan had been to snatch up Aiki and leg it. However, the attacking creatures swarmed him and he couldn’t shake free from them to go and grab Aiki without risking them either missing an attack on him and accidentally hitting the hatchling or them purposefully breaking away and taking the opportunity of his distraction to target Aiki directly. Jake continued to valiantly attack the Blueridge Greatshell, managing to fend it off but not push it back. Wren had flipped over and hovered just above the terrified hatchling’s head as a shield against stray shots. Akebia’s claws glowed green as he called up the Jungle’s energy. Whipping leaves and roots spread out of the gash he inflicted upon a Crimson Emperor and it dropped to the ground. He leapt forward, intending to finish it off, but a Death’s-Head Stag suddenly reared up in front of him. A blast of Contuse hit him dead in the thigh and he tumbled to the ground with a yell of pain. Numbness spread through his limb. He struggled to his feet, wings flaring to help him balance, and almost toppled over again. The Death’s-Head Stag paused to gather Breath and then opened its mouth to fire. A Contuse struck it in the side of the face, sending it flying towards a couple of Ember Mice, which it landed on with a thud. A couple more quick blasts cleared a bit of room around Akebia, and Floyd came running to join him with Blossom perched on his head. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225435/22543407p.png[/img][nextcol] “We're here. We're here. Thank the Lady we were on our way when Blossom found us.”[/columns] The massive form of Vidia surged past them and she Scratched her way through a pair of Bumbles and a Leafy Moth. Then she roared and Shredded a Luna Mith. Undeterred as creatures bite and scratched her flanks, she continued to wade through the onslaught. Blossom flew back over to watch Wren’s back. Floyd sat and Meditated some more while Akebia did his best to fend off their attackers. Another round of Contuses and a couple more Jungle Slashes from Akebia cleared half the remaining enemies. Vidia Scratched her way through a couple more and Akebia took down the second to last. All that remained was the hulking Blueridge Greatshell. Dozens of bites littered its shoulders and flippers and a deep gouge marred its thick shell. Jake struggled upright again, visibly hurt and tired from his efforts, and bared his teeth. The Blueridge head butted him. His yelp of pain made something inside Vidia snap. She reared, wings flaring wide, and roared a challenge. It ignored her and continued slowly shuffling towards the cowering hatchling. Snarling, she lunged at it. Grappling it around the neck, she shoved her shoulder into its shell and heaved. It bent its neck to bite her, but Floyd shot a Contuse into its cheek. A shudder ran through it’s body, weakening it, and Vidia’s next exertion sent it tumbling over onto its back, leaving its vulnerable underside exposed. It flailed its flippers, but could not get into a position to right itself. Akebia hobbled over to give it a couple of Scratches and Floyd fired off another Contuse. It rolled with the blow and used the momentum to get up again. Vidia snarled and raised a hand. Her claws glowed white and the temperature turned frigid. Razor sharp chunks of ice spread from the Freezing Slash. The Blueridge’s shell creaked, cracked, and split asunder. The monster fell, defeated at last. Harsh panting and Aiki’s frightened whimpers filled the sudden silence. Akebia slumped as the adrenaline wore off. Floyd pressed comfortingly against his side. Akebia closed his eyes and rested against his shoulder. The Tundra murmured under his breath and traced a pattern in the air: sparkling green shapes materialised and drifted over the pair. Akebia sighed as his health restored. A choked off cry from Vidia had the pair leaping up. The Guardian crouched over her bonded Familiar, who lay still on his side. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225340/22533997p.png[/img][nextcol] (Spoken pleadingly) “Jake, please get up. Come on!”[/columns] She nudged his side ever so gently. He shuddered and a wounded moan filled the air. [columns][color=transparent]Let's get this column over on the other side, hmm.[/color][nextcol] “Let me take care of him.”[nextcol] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225435/22543407p.png[/img][/columns] Vidia startled. She growled low and threateningly and her wings mantled. Floyd remained calm in the face of her ire and a second later she recognised him through the haze of protective fury. She lowered her wings and allowed him to come closer. He murmured the spell again and the sparkle of Regeneration settled over the Depin. Akebia left them to it and went to join the other Familiars. Blossom fluttered up to eye level. Tears were in her eyes and she wrapped her arms around his snout in a fierce hug. He nuzzled her back in reassurance (for them both), and crouched to gently place his paw on Wren’s back. [columns][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/163258/16325779p.png[/img][nextcol] “It’s over now.”[/columns] The mirror lifted up. Wren’s masque hid much of his expression, but his eyes were haunted. Akebia ran a comforting hand along the edge of his frame before turning his full attention to Aiki. The little hatchling had his face buried against his pearl, with his hands wrapped tightly over his ears, and his wings folded up over him protectively. Little whimpers fell continuously from his mouth. [columns][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/163258/16325779p.png[/img][nextcol] “Oh, little one. It’s okay. It’s over. You’re safe now.”[/columns] Akebia continued to murmur words of assurance until Aiki dared to uncurl. He slowly raised his head. The look of absolute devastation on his face shattered Akebia’s heart into a million pieces. [columns][img]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/Dragon_Wolfie/FR%20Aiki%20Hatchling%20Portrait.png[/img][nextcol] “Alone.”[/columns] He’d been too scared to even cry during the whole ordeal, but now tears rolled down his cheeks. There was a moment when Akebia thought that the hatchling’s trust in him had been completely broken, but then Aiki raised his arms up to him and Akebia didn’t hesitate. He scooped Aiki up and cradled him against his chest. Worry and relief in equal measures clogged up his throat and his breath wheezed out harshly. Tears came and he didn’t even care. [columns][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/163258/16325779p.png[/img][nextcol] (Voice shaking) “I’m so sorry you had to go through that, Aiki.”[/columns] The battlefield was strewn with items. 2 [item=Glowing Pocket Bauble] 9 [item=Crunchy Moth Legs] 6 [item=Blue Honeycomb] 6 [item=Firestarter] 3 [item=Roan Mouse] 1 [item=Ruby-Throated Hummingbird] 6 [item=Serrated Beak] 4 [item=Honeycomb Fragment] 2 [item=Beeswax] 3 [item=Carpenter Wax] 5 [item=Fragile Moth Wings] 2 [item=Wasteland Pauper] 8 [item=Micro Deer] 3 [item=Jagged Beak] 1 [item=Herdbeast Hoof] 6 [item=Hardy Antler] 3 [item=Tiny Feathers] 6 [item=Dwarf Fawn] 4 [item=Fragile Antler] 1 [item=Rotting Leather] 1 [item=Sparrow Skull] 1 [item=Charged Might Fragment] 2 [item=Meal Moth] 1 [item=Yellow-Tinged Featherduster] 1 [item=Leafy Pack] 1 [item=Dark-Tufted Featherduster] Aiki was too scared to let go of Akebia anytime soon. So Akebia sat and cuddled the hatchling while the other two sorted out the ingredients to send back home. Vidia moved jerkily and Floyd was exhausted from all of the magic he’d used. Breakfast was a subdued affair. Blossom and Wren stayed near to Jake as he recovered. Vidia scowled as she chewed on a Blueridge Fin. Akebia ate his fin mechanically. Floyd devoured an entire pouch of Centaur nut mix. Aiki quietly nibbled the Honeycomb Fragment Floyd gave him. ----- [i]In other news, Akebia, Floyd and Vidia are now all level 5.[/i]
Day 10

Blueridge Fin
Coliseum
40-50 matches

Warning: mild peril and fighting.

@Fitali @Solaristigres

A high-pitched squeal of fright had Akebia’s heart jump right up into his throat and he sprinted across the border into the Everbloom Gardens at top speed. Flashes of light and heavy thumps urged him on.

Akebia crashed though a stand of tall grass, uncaring that he crushed a low lying orchid in his mad dash. What he saw when he reached the spot where they’d left Aiki was every carer’s nightmare: his little one under attack.

Jake roared as he reared up, frills flared wide in threat, and then lunged forward to sink his teeth into the shoulder of the massive Blueridge Greatshell. The Blueridge thrashed wildly and threw him off before continuing forward: slow and clumsy, but as inexorable as a felled tree.

Aiki huddled low to the ground, arms wrapped tight around his pearl. A low, terrified whine escaped him and Blossom dipped lower to hover protectively over him. Wren flew up and flashed brightly in the monster’s face. It roared its displeasure at being blinded, but did not stop. Jake struggled to his flippers and lunged again.

Pacing and stalking in a rough circle around them like a rowdy crowd around a brawl were a mass of other creatures; penning them in, forcing them to stay and fight rather than flee the onslaught.

This was crazy! Usually you’d have to go to the darkest depths of the Shrieking Wilds to find this kind of behaviour from the wildlife. The Everbloom Gardens was the safest region of the Viridian Labyrinth. Most creatures living there would only attack when provoked.

Akebia shrieked in pure outrage and charged forward with no regard for his own safety: he was outnumbered by at least fifty to one, but his only thought was to protect Aiki. He barged straight into a Leafy Moth - claws tearing through its side - ducked as a Glowing Pocket Mouse leapt for his face, sliced a second Leafy Moth, and Shredded through a Ruby Webwing.

16325779p.png “Blossom, go and get the others!”

Blossom sprang up and for a second Akebia saw the look of pure relief on her face, before she zoomed away trailing sparks of forest green magic like a comet. An Emerald Webwing made a swipe at her, but she was too quick.

Akebia’s initial plan had been to snatch up Aiki and leg it. However, the attacking creatures swarmed him and he couldn’t shake free from them to go and grab Aiki without risking them either missing an attack on him and accidentally hitting the hatchling or them purposefully breaking away and taking the opportunity of his distraction to target Aiki directly.

Jake continued to valiantly attack the Blueridge Greatshell, managing to fend it off but not push it back. Wren had flipped over and hovered just above the terrified hatchling’s head as a shield against stray shots.

Akebia’s claws glowed green as he called up the Jungle’s energy. Whipping leaves and roots spread out of the gash he inflicted upon a Crimson Emperor and it dropped to the ground. He leapt forward, intending to finish it off, but a Death’s-Head Stag suddenly reared up in front of him. A blast of Contuse hit him dead in the thigh and he tumbled to the ground with a yell of pain.

Numbness spread through his limb. He struggled to his feet, wings flaring to help him balance, and almost toppled over again. The Death’s-Head Stag paused to gather Breath and then opened its mouth to fire.

A Contuse struck it in the side of the face, sending it flying towards a couple of Ember Mice, which it landed on with a thud. A couple more quick blasts cleared a bit of room around Akebia, and Floyd came running to join him with Blossom perched on his head.

22543407p.png “We're here. We're here. Thank the Lady we were on our way when Blossom found us.”

The massive form of Vidia surged past them and she Scratched her way through a pair of Bumbles and a Leafy Moth. Then she roared and Shredded a Luna Mith. Undeterred as creatures bite and scratched her flanks, she continued to wade through the onslaught.

Blossom flew back over to watch Wren’s back. Floyd sat and Meditated some more while Akebia did his best to fend off their attackers. Another round of Contuses and a couple more Jungle Slashes from Akebia cleared half the remaining enemies. Vidia Scratched her way through a couple more and Akebia took down the second to last.

All that remained was the hulking Blueridge Greatshell. Dozens of bites littered its shoulders and flippers and a deep gouge marred its thick shell. Jake struggled upright again, visibly hurt and tired from his efforts, and bared his teeth. The Blueridge head butted him.

His yelp of pain made something inside Vidia snap. She reared, wings flaring wide, and roared a challenge. It ignored her and continued slowly shuffling towards the cowering hatchling. Snarling, she lunged at it. Grappling it around the neck, she shoved her shoulder into its shell and heaved.

It bent its neck to bite her, but Floyd shot a Contuse into its cheek. A shudder ran through it’s body, weakening it, and Vidia’s next exertion sent it tumbling over onto its back, leaving its vulnerable underside exposed.

It flailed its flippers, but could not get into a position to right itself. Akebia hobbled over to give it a couple of Scratches and Floyd fired off another Contuse. It rolled with the blow and used the momentum to get up again.

Vidia snarled and raised a hand. Her claws glowed white and the temperature turned frigid. Razor sharp chunks of ice spread from the Freezing Slash. The Blueridge’s shell creaked, cracked, and split asunder. The monster fell, defeated at last.

Harsh panting and Aiki’s frightened whimpers filled the sudden silence.

Akebia slumped as the adrenaline wore off. Floyd pressed comfortingly against his side. Akebia closed his eyes and rested against his shoulder. The Tundra murmured under his breath and traced a pattern in the air: sparkling green shapes materialised and drifted over the pair. Akebia sighed as his health restored.

A choked off cry from Vidia had the pair leaping up. The Guardian crouched over her bonded Familiar, who lay still on his side.

22533997p.png (Spoken pleadingly) “Jake, please get up. Come on!”

She nudged his side ever so gently. He shuddered and a wounded moan filled the air.

Let's get this column over on the other side, hmm. “Let me take care of him.” 22543407p.png

Vidia startled. She growled low and threateningly and her wings mantled. Floyd remained calm in the face of her ire and a second later she recognised him through the haze of protective fury. She lowered her wings and allowed him to come closer. He murmured the spell again and the sparkle of Regeneration settled over the Depin.

Akebia left them to it and went to join the other Familiars. Blossom fluttered up to eye level. Tears were in her eyes and she wrapped her arms around his snout in a fierce hug. He nuzzled her back in reassurance (for them both), and crouched to gently place his paw on Wren’s back.

16325779p.png “It’s over now.”

The mirror lifted up. Wren’s masque hid much of his expression, but his eyes were haunted. Akebia ran a comforting hand along the edge of his frame before turning his full attention to Aiki.

The little hatchling had his face buried against his pearl, with his hands wrapped tightly over his ears, and his wings folded up over him protectively. Little whimpers fell continuously from his mouth.

16325779p.png “Oh, little one. It’s okay. It’s over. You’re safe now.”

Akebia continued to murmur words of assurance until Aiki dared to uncurl. He slowly raised his head. The look of absolute devastation on his face shattered Akebia’s heart into a million pieces.

FR%20Aiki%20Hatchling%20Portrait.png “Alone.”

He’d been too scared to even cry during the whole ordeal, but now tears rolled down his cheeks.

There was a moment when Akebia thought that the hatchling’s trust in him had been completely broken, but then Aiki raised his arms up to him and Akebia didn’t hesitate.

He scooped Aiki up and cradled him against his chest. Worry and relief in equal measures clogged up his throat and his breath wheezed out harshly. Tears came and he didn’t even care.

16325779p.png (Voice shaking) “I’m so sorry you had to go through that, Aiki.”

The battlefield was strewn with items.

2 Glowing Pocket Bauble 9 Crunchy Moth Legs 6 Blue Honeycomb 6 Firestarter 3 Roan Mouse
1 Ruby-Throated Hummingbird 6 Serrated Beak 4 Honeycomb Fragment 2 Beeswax 3 Carpenter Wax
5 Fragile Moth Wings 2 Wasteland Pauper 8 Micro Deer 3 Jagged Beak 1 Herdbeast Hoof
6 Hardy Antler 3 Tiny Feathers 6 Dwarf Fawn 4 Fragile Antler 1 Rotting Leather
1 Sparrow Skull 1 Charged Might Fragment 2 Meal Moth 1 Yellow-Tinged Featherduster 1 Leafy Pack
1 Dark-Tufted Featherduster

Aiki was too scared to let go of Akebia anytime soon. So Akebia sat and cuddled the hatchling while the other two sorted out the ingredients to send back home. Vidia moved jerkily and Floyd was exhausted from all of the magic he’d used.

Breakfast was a subdued affair. Blossom and Wren stayed near to Jake as he recovered. Vidia scowled as she chewed on a Blueridge Fin. Akebia ate his fin mechanically. Floyd devoured an entire pouch of Centaur nut mix. Aiki quietly nibbled the Honeycomb Fragment Floyd gave him.

In other news, Akebia, Floyd and Vidia are now all level 5.
@DragonWolfie
Pinglist please!
@DragonWolfie
Pinglist please!
[center][size=6][color=green][b]Day 11[/b][/color][/size] [item=Redwood Kindling] [i]Writing[/i] ----- @Fitali @Solaristigres @dragonbano - Welcome :)[/center] ----- Akebia pushed his hood off his head, swung it down and around, and made it into a sling for Aiki. The little Pearlcatcher still didn’t want to let go of him and it would be the comfiest way to carry him. Akebia bundled him up and held him close. Blossom settled silently on Akebia’s head. Her grip was tight on his horn. Vidia’s face had seemingly frozen into a scowl. She didn’t growl at them, but she gave off a pretty intense vibe that she did not want to talk. Jake had improved under Floyd’s care, but he was exhausted and still weak. Vidia crouched low to the ground and accepted Akebia’s and Floyd’s help in getting her Familiar onto her back. They trekked back to the border of the Gladeveins and circled the nearest pond until they found a shady spot. Vidia waded into the water and carefully slid Jake off her back. He slumped down in the shallows and immediately fell asleep. The Guardian curled up next to him; half submerged in the water, and made sure he didn’t drown. Akebia peeked inside the sling and found Aiki curled up tight around his pearl. The Glimmering surface had another grey blotch staining its surface. The hatchling was fast asleep. Akebia gently stroked his mane. He sat down with a heavy sigh. His arms cradled his precious bundle close and his head drooped. Having companions to worry about was terrifying. Floyd sat down next to him. He pressed close and let a comforting wing rest over his back. Akebia leant into him. But having friends there was way better than being alone. Floyd nuzzled him and Akebia turned into it with a sigh. Blossom fluttered over to Wren. She placed a hand on the mirror's surface, brushing her fingers delicately over his masqued face. He closed his eyes and leaned into the touch. None of them were up to doing anything else that day, and so they did not. They sat and rested. Jake awakened late morning, much refreshed. He grumbled at Vidia when she fussed over him and pulled himself out of the water before flippering over to join Blossom and Wren. Water cascaded off Vidia’s scales as she climbed out of the pond. She crept up to Akebia and Floyd, tentative as though they would turn her away. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225340/22533997p.png[/img][nextcol] …[/columns] Akebia and Floyd just smiled gently. They would be there for her when she was ready to talk. An odd expression on her face, she lied down in a patch of sunlight and spread her wings out to dry. Late afternoon rolled around. Akebia had enjoyed the light doze he’d fallen into, but now he stood and stretched out his limbs. Floyd stretched out his wings, but remained sitting. Feeling a bit peckish, the Wildclaw went over to their supply packs and dug around for some meat strips. He cursed softly as a small bundle that had got caught on the food bag tumbled to the ground, snapping the string binding it together and scattering the Redwood Kindling into a messy pile. [columns][img]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/Dragon_Wolfie/FR%20Aiki%20Hatchling%20Portrait.png[/img][nextcol] “Pick-up sticks!”[/columns] The little guy had poked his head out of the sling and reached his arms out towards the twigs. Akebia unwound his hood and gently tipped Aiki out onto the ground. [columns][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/163258/16325779p.png[/img][nextcol] “You wanna help me out, little guy?”[/columns] Aiki tilted his head back to look at Akebia. [columns][img]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/Dragon_Wolfie/FR%20Aiki%20Hatchling%20Portrait.png[/img][nextcol] “It’s a game.” (He ducked his head) “Played it with mummy lots of times. Daddy wasn’t good at it, but played anyway.”[/columns] [columns][color=transparent]Here is some text to fill in the space, man.[/color][nextcol] (Intrigued) “How do you play?” [nextcol][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225435/22543407p.png[/img][/columns] [columns][img]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/Dragon_Wolfie/FR%20Aiki%20Hatchling%20Portrait.png[/img][nextcol] “You pick up the sticks! Make another stick move, you don’t get it.” (He picked up a couple of twigs) “Sticks colourful. Different points for different colours. Most points wins.” (He looked up hopefully) “Uncles play?”[/columns] [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225435/22543407p.png[/img][nextcol] “I don’t think we’ll be able to dye these twigs, but we could always just try to get the most sticks?”[/columns] Relief rolled through Akebia. Aiki hadn't been traumatised forever by his mistake. [columns][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/163258/16325779p.png[/img][nextcol] “Yeah, let’s play!”[/columns] Aiki grinned in delight and crawled over to the bag holding the spoils from their battles. He pulled out a fragile antler and waved it at them. [columns][img]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/Dragon_Wolfie/FR%20Aiki%20Hatchling%20Portrait.png[/img][nextcol] “Flipping stick! Now we play.”[/columns] ----- [i]Pick-up sticks is a fun game.[/i]
Day 11

Redwood Kindling
Writing

@Fitali @Solaristigres @dragonbano - Welcome :)

Akebia pushed his hood off his head, swung it down and around, and made it into a sling for Aiki. The little Pearlcatcher still didn’t want to let go of him and it would be the comfiest way to carry him. Akebia bundled him up and held him close. Blossom settled silently on Akebia’s head. Her grip was tight on his horn.

Vidia’s face had seemingly frozen into a scowl. She didn’t growl at them, but she gave off a pretty intense vibe that she did not want to talk. Jake had improved under Floyd’s care, but he was exhausted and still weak. Vidia crouched low to the ground and accepted Akebia’s and Floyd’s help in getting her Familiar onto her back.

They trekked back to the border of the Gladeveins and circled the nearest pond until they found a shady spot. Vidia waded into the water and carefully slid Jake off her back. He slumped down in the shallows and immediately fell asleep. The Guardian curled up next to him; half submerged in the water, and made sure he didn’t drown.

Akebia peeked inside the sling and found Aiki curled up tight around his pearl. The Glimmering surface had another grey blotch staining its surface. The hatchling was fast asleep. Akebia gently stroked his mane.

He sat down with a heavy sigh. His arms cradled his precious bundle close and his head drooped. Having companions to worry about was terrifying.

Floyd sat down next to him. He pressed close and let a comforting wing rest over his back. Akebia leant into him. But having friends there was way better than being alone. Floyd nuzzled him and Akebia turned into it with a sigh.

Blossom fluttered over to Wren. She placed a hand on the mirror's surface, brushing her fingers delicately over his masqued face. He closed his eyes and leaned into the touch.

None of them were up to doing anything else that day, and so they did not. They sat and rested.

Jake awakened late morning, much refreshed. He grumbled at Vidia when she fussed over him and pulled himself out of the water before flippering over to join Blossom and Wren.

Water cascaded off Vidia’s scales as she climbed out of the pond. She crept up to Akebia and Floyd, tentative as though they would turn her away.

22533997p.png

Akebia and Floyd just smiled gently. They would be there for her when she was ready to talk. An odd expression on her face, she lied down in a patch of sunlight and spread her wings out to dry.

Late afternoon rolled around. Akebia had enjoyed the light doze he’d fallen into, but now he stood and stretched out his limbs. Floyd stretched out his wings, but remained sitting. Feeling a bit peckish, the Wildclaw went over to their supply packs and dug around for some meat strips.

He cursed softly as a small bundle that had got caught on the food bag tumbled to the ground, snapping the string binding it together and scattering the Redwood Kindling into a messy pile.

FR%20Aiki%20Hatchling%20Portrait.png “Pick-up sticks!”

The little guy had poked his head out of the sling and reached his arms out towards the twigs. Akebia unwound his hood and gently tipped Aiki out onto the ground.

16325779p.png “You wanna help me out, little guy?”

Aiki tilted his head back to look at Akebia.

FR%20Aiki%20Hatchling%20Portrait.png “It’s a game.” (He ducked his head) “Played it with mummy lots of times. Daddy wasn’t good at it, but played anyway.”
Here is some text to fill in the space, man. (Intrigued) “How do you play?” 22543407p.png
FR%20Aiki%20Hatchling%20Portrait.png “You pick up the sticks! Make another stick move, you don’t get it.” (He picked up a couple of twigs) “Sticks colourful. Different points for different colours. Most points wins.” (He looked up hopefully) “Uncles play?”
22543407p.png “I don’t think we’ll be able to dye these twigs, but we could always just try to get the most sticks?”

Relief rolled through Akebia. Aiki hadn't been traumatised forever by his mistake.

16325779p.png “Yeah, let’s play!”

Aiki grinned in delight and crawled over to the bag holding the spoils from their battles. He pulled out a fragile antler and waved it at them.

FR%20Aiki%20Hatchling%20Portrait.png “Flipping stick! Now we play.”

Pick-up sticks is a fun game.
[center][size=6][color=green][b]Day 12[/b][/color][/size] [item=Winter's Delight] Coliseum 10-20 matches ----- @Fitali @Solaristigres @dragonbano[/center] ----- Akebia woke up with an elbow shoved in his face. Grumbling, he pushed the arm aside and raised his neck. [columns][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/163258/16325779p.png[/img][nextcol] “Oh.”[/columns] Aiki laid spread out next to him, entirely filling the space between Akebia and Floyd when last night he’d been a little bundle all curled up against Akebia's side. The Pearlcatcher had grown up overnight, as hatchlings tended to do (a mystery of life that no one knew the answer to). Poor Floyd was half buried beneath their newly grown friend. He snuffled as he awakened too. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225435/22543407p.png[/img][nextcol] “What on Sornieth? Oh, it’s…”[/columns] He rolled out from beneath the Pearlcatcher’s wing and stood, stretching out all his limbs and wings, yawned widely, and gave himself a shake to properly settle his fur. He padded around to get good look at Aiki. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225435/22543407p.png[/img][nextcol] “It is odd seeing it happen to someone else.”[/columns] [columns][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/163258/16325779p.png[/img][nextcol] (Teasing) “I remember someone being all paws after they grew.”[/columns] Floyd blushed and ducked his head. Akebia stretched up to bump his snout affectionately against Floyd’s jaw before carefully extracting himself from Aiki’s side. [columns][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/163258/16325779p.png[/img][nextcol] “He’s going to be hungry. Let’s get breakfast ready.”[/columns] The pair found a particularly vigorous stand of Rotala and harvested the lot. They also found a few Brown Spot Toads lurking in the weeds and caught them too. Vidia had awakened when they returned. She looked up from where she had been watching Aiki with an ever so slight smile. Jake bumped his nose against her leg and grunted encouragingly. Vidia sighed, but she gathered herself up and bowed her head to them. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225340/22533997p.png[/img][nextcol] “I wish to apologise. I have not been the easiest dragon to have as a companion.”[/columns] [columns][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/163258/16325779p.png[/img][nextcol] “It’s okay. We’re here if you ever want to talk.”[/columns] [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225435/22543407p.png[/img][nextcol] “We’ll listen.”[/columns] Vidia’s lips curled back, but she shook herself before she snarled. Shame stole over her face, but Akebia just gave a kind smile. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225340/22533997p.png[/img][nextcol] “Talking would be… But not now. I-”[/columns] A startled chirp interrupted the solemn silence that followed. They looked down to find that Aiki had awakened. The not so little Pearlcatcher had discovered that he was now much larger and was stretching out his arms and wings in fascination. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/228342/22834140p.png[/img][nextcol] “I’m big.”[/columns] [columns][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/163258/16325779p.png[/img][nextcol] (Warm chuckle) “Yes, you are. Good morning, Aiki.”[/columns] Aiki tilted his head up to look at them and grinned excitedly. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/228342/22834140p.png[/img][nextcol] “’Morning Uncles, Auntie.”[/columns] He awkwardly gathered his feet beneath him and attempted to stand. Wobbling precariously, he took a step and immediately unbalanced. Undeterred, he tried again. His third attempt went even less smoothly and he tumbled head over heels to land in a sprawling heap. Struggling with his long limbs, Aiki rolled clumsily into a sitting position. He pouted up at Akebia. Akebia ran a comforting hand through Aiki’s mane. Then he ducked and offered the fledgling his shoulder to lean on. Floyd went to his other side and sat ready to catch him if he stumbled again. Aiki struggled up to his feet and with their help in steadying him he managed to stay standing. [columns][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/163258/16325779p.png[/img][nextcol] “There now, petal. You’ll be running around in no time.”[/columns] Aiki practised walking, first with their support, and then without. He remained a bit clumsy, but no longer fell over. He returned to his pearl, nosed it, and then with a retching sound, thick black mucus dribbled over it. Aiki carefully licked the pearl to evenly distribute the new layer, which cured to a brightly sparkling Glimmer. Pearl tended to; he tilted his head in thought. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/228342/22834140p.png[/img][nextcol] “Mummy carried pearl in arms.”[/columns] Aiki scooped the pearl up. He tried clutching it to his chest with one arm, and then tucking it under his arm, and even tried both the same with his other arm. Nothing felt right to him. He stared hard at his pearl, thinking. Something occurred to him and he ducked his head down and looked back at his legs. He lifted a foot and flexed his long toes. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/228342/22834140p.png[/img][nextcol] “Pearl feel good in feet when I sat.”[/columns] Hopping awkwardly around, he lowered a foot over his pearl and gripped it. He relaxed a bit. Raising the leg made him wobble until he leaned over slightly and unfurled his wings a bit. A few more adjustments and he found a comfortable stance. [img]http://flightrising.com/image_generators/dragonpic2.php?body=4&wing=18&style=4&gender=0&ages=1&prig=11&secg=7&tert=32&elem=7&tertgene=10&spec=prev.png[/img] Walking with his pearl in his hind leg was a different matter. The pearl had to stay off the ground, so he was going three-legged. He stumbled and tripped at first, but soon got the hang of balancing correctly. And then he was running around with a massive grin on his face. [columns][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/163258/16325779p.png[/img][nextcol] “There we go. Now come and eat breakfast.”[/columns] Aiki’s face lit up and he hurried over. Floyd gave him most of the Rotala, keeping just a couple of stalks for him to eat. Brown spot toads weren’t much of a meal for a Guardian, but Vidia shared in the food with Akebia regardless. They could always do some more hunting as they went. After eating and washing up, Aiki sat down with his pearl gripped between his feet. He gently stroked his hand over the shiny surface before looking at them with determination. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/228342/22834140p.png[/img][nextcol] “Teach me to fight. Please.”[/columns] At their shocked expressions, he gripped his pearl tighter, wings folding down to wrap around his body. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/228342/22834140p.png[/img][nextcol] “Was helpless before. Want to stay safe. Defend. Protect.” (He smiled sadly) “Don’t want to be alone.”[/columns] Akebia leant against Floyd for support. As much as he wanted his young friend to have a carefree life, the quest was dangerous (as had been proven several time over). [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225340/22533997p.png[/img][nextcol] “He is old enough.”[/columns] [columns][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/163258/16325779p.png[/img][nextcol] “I know. He needs to be able to defend himself at the very least.”[/columns] [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225435/22543407p.png[/img][nextcol] “It’s the right thing to do.”[/columns] Floyd sat down with him and showed him how to Meditate to generate breath and then concentrate it into a Contuse. His aim was not very good, and he was slow at building up breath. But it was a start. To test his newly formed skills, they decided to go on a small hunt. Akebia took the lead, flushing out prey and weakening it, Aiki went next to finish them off, and Floyd brought up the rear; protecting their backs and making sure Aiki did not get too hurt. Vidia followed them at a distnace and gathered up the spoils of their battles: [center]1 [item=Delicate Bat Wing] 2 [item=Serrated Beak] 2 [item=Blue Honeycomb] 1 [item=Carpenter Wax] 2 [item=Fragile Moth Wings] 3 [item=Firestarter] 1 [item=White Lace Honeybee] 1 [item=Honeycomb Fragment] 4 [item=Yellow-Tinged Featherduster] 2 [item=Dark-Tufted Featherduster] 3 [item=Glowing Pocket Bauble] 1 [item=Sun Flecked Fieldmouse] 3 [item=Jagged Beak] 3 [item=Dwarf Fawn] 2 [item=Fragile Antler] 1 [item=Micro Deer] 1 [item=Tiny Feathers] 1 [item=Minor Health Potion] 1 [item=Crunchy Moth Legs][/center] Aiki was exhausted afterwards, but also excited and afraid in equal measures. He was a bit jittery as he came down from the battle high. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225340/22533997p.png[/img][nextcol] “Well fought, kid.”[/columns] [columns][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/163258/16325779p.png[/img][nextcol] “Just breathe. You’re safe.”[/columns] Akebia pressed against his side in comfort. Aiki leaned back against him. Floyd settled in against his other side. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225435/22543407p.png[/img][nextcol] “Here. These are my favourites.”[/columns] Floyd handed Aiki a small tub. Inside was a couple dozen Winter’s Delight. The Pearlcatcher nuzzled him in thanks and the pair shared a couple berries each. ----- [i]Little Aiki has grown up :D He's now level 3, while the others are still level 5.[/i]
Day 12

Winter's Delight
Coliseum
10-20 matches

@Fitali @Solaristigres @dragonbano

Akebia woke up with an elbow shoved in his face. Grumbling, he pushed the arm aside and raised his neck.

16325779p.png “Oh.”

Aiki laid spread out next to him, entirely filling the space between Akebia and Floyd when last night he’d been a little bundle all curled up against Akebia's side. The Pearlcatcher had grown up overnight, as hatchlings tended to do (a mystery of life that no one knew the answer to).

Poor Floyd was half buried beneath their newly grown friend. He snuffled as he awakened too.

22543407p.png “What on Sornieth? Oh, it’s…”

He rolled out from beneath the Pearlcatcher’s wing and stood, stretching out all his limbs and wings, yawned widely, and gave himself a shake to properly settle his fur. He padded around to get good look at Aiki.

22543407p.png “It is odd seeing it happen to someone else.”
16325779p.png (Teasing) “I remember someone being all paws after they grew.”

Floyd blushed and ducked his head. Akebia stretched up to bump his snout affectionately against Floyd’s jaw before carefully extracting himself from Aiki’s side.

16325779p.png “He’s going to be hungry. Let’s get breakfast ready.”

The pair found a particularly vigorous stand of Rotala and harvested the lot. They also found a few Brown Spot Toads lurking in the weeds and caught them too.

Vidia had awakened when they returned. She looked up from where she had been watching Aiki with an ever so slight smile. Jake bumped his nose against her leg and grunted encouragingly. Vidia sighed, but she gathered herself up and bowed her head to them.

22533997p.png “I wish to apologise. I have not been the easiest dragon to have as a companion.”
16325779p.png “It’s okay. We’re here if you ever want to talk.”
22543407p.png “We’ll listen.”

Vidia’s lips curled back, but she shook herself before she snarled. Shame stole over her face, but Akebia just gave a kind smile.

22533997p.png “Talking would be… But not now. I-”

A startled chirp interrupted the solemn silence that followed. They looked down to find that Aiki had awakened. The not so little Pearlcatcher had discovered that he was now much larger and was stretching out his arms and wings in fascination.

22834140p.png “I’m big.”
16325779p.png (Warm chuckle) “Yes, you are. Good morning, Aiki.”

Aiki tilted his head up to look at them and grinned excitedly.

22834140p.png “’Morning Uncles, Auntie.”

He awkwardly gathered his feet beneath him and attempted to stand. Wobbling precariously, he took a step and immediately unbalanced. Undeterred, he tried again. His third attempt went even less smoothly and he tumbled head over heels to land in a sprawling heap. Struggling with his long limbs, Aiki rolled clumsily into a sitting position. He pouted up at Akebia.

Akebia ran a comforting hand through Aiki’s mane. Then he ducked and offered the fledgling his shoulder to lean on. Floyd went to his other side and sat ready to catch him if he stumbled again. Aiki struggled up to his feet and with their help in steadying him he managed to stay standing.

16325779p.png “There now, petal. You’ll be running around in no time.”

Aiki practised walking, first with their support, and then without. He remained a bit clumsy, but no longer fell over. He returned to his pearl, nosed it, and then with a retching sound, thick black mucus dribbled over it. Aiki carefully licked the pearl to evenly distribute the new layer, which cured to a brightly sparkling Glimmer.

Pearl tended to; he tilted his head in thought.

22834140p.png “Mummy carried pearl in arms.”

Aiki scooped the pearl up. He tried clutching it to his chest with one arm, and then tucking it under his arm, and even tried both the same with his other arm. Nothing felt right to him.

He stared hard at his pearl, thinking. Something occurred to him and he ducked his head down and looked back at his legs. He lifted a foot and flexed his long toes.

22834140p.png “Pearl feel good in feet when I sat.”

Hopping awkwardly around, he lowered a foot over his pearl and gripped it. He relaxed a bit. Raising the leg made him wobble until he leaned over slightly and unfurled his wings a bit. A few more adjustments and he found a comfortable stance.

dragonpic2.php?body=4&wing=18&style=4&gender=0&ages=1&prig=11&secg=7&tert=32&elem=7&tertgene=10&spec=prev.png

Walking with his pearl in his hind leg was a different matter. The pearl had to stay off the ground, so he was going three-legged. He stumbled and tripped at first, but soon got the hang of balancing correctly. And then he was running around with a massive grin on his face.

16325779p.png “There we go. Now come and eat breakfast.”

Aiki’s face lit up and he hurried over. Floyd gave him most of the Rotala, keeping just a couple of stalks for him to eat. Brown spot toads weren’t much of a meal for a Guardian, but Vidia shared in the food with Akebia regardless. They could always do some more hunting as they went.

After eating and washing up, Aiki sat down with his pearl gripped between his feet. He gently stroked his hand over the shiny surface before looking at them with determination.

22834140p.png “Teach me to fight. Please.”

At their shocked expressions, he gripped his pearl tighter, wings folding down to wrap around his body.

22834140p.png “Was helpless before. Want to stay safe. Defend. Protect.” (He smiled sadly) “Don’t want to be alone.”

Akebia leant against Floyd for support. As much as he wanted his young friend to have a carefree life, the quest was dangerous (as had been proven several time over).

22533997p.png “He is old enough.”
16325779p.png “I know. He needs to be able to defend himself at the very least.”
22543407p.png “It’s the right thing to do.”

Floyd sat down with him and showed him how to Meditate to generate breath and then concentrate it into a Contuse. His aim was not very good, and he was slow at building up breath. But it was a start.

To test his newly formed skills, they decided to go on a small hunt. Akebia took the lead, flushing out prey and weakening it, Aiki went next to finish them off, and Floyd brought up the rear; protecting their backs and making sure Aiki did not get too hurt.

Vidia followed them at a distnace and gathered up the spoils of their battles:

1 Delicate Bat Wing 2 Serrated Beak 2 Blue Honeycomb 1 Carpenter Wax 2 Fragile Moth Wings
3 Firestarter 1 White Lace Honeybee 1 Honeycomb Fragment 4 Yellow-Tinged Featherduster 2 Dark-Tufted Featherduster
3 Glowing Pocket Bauble 1 Sun Flecked Fieldmouse 3 Jagged Beak 3 Dwarf Fawn 2 Fragile Antler
1 Micro Deer 1 Tiny Feathers 1 Minor Health Potion 1 Crunchy Moth Legs

Aiki was exhausted afterwards, but also excited and afraid in equal measures. He was a bit jittery as he came down from the battle high.

22533997p.png “Well fought, kid.”
16325779p.png “Just breathe. You’re safe.”

Akebia pressed against his side in comfort. Aiki leaned back against him. Floyd settled in against his other side.

22543407p.png “Here. These are my favourites.”

Floyd handed Aiki a small tub. Inside was a couple dozen Winter’s Delight. The Pearlcatcher nuzzled him in thanks and the pair shared a couple berries each.

Little Aiki has grown up :D
He's now level 3, while the others are still level 5.
[center][size=6][color=green][b]Day 13[/b][/color][/size] [item=Hainu Collar] [i]Art[/i] ----- @Fitali @Solaristigres @dragonbano ----- [img]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/Dragon_Wolfie/FR%20Aiki%20No%20Constraint.png[/img] No constraint; he's free to grow.[/center] ----- [i]A nice surprise for when they awaken. Ha: What even is perspective? Also, I never really think about dragon sizes, so it's always a bit of a surprise when I look them up. Vidia is almost four times the size of her companions.[/i]
Day 13

Hainu Collar
Art

FR%20Aiki%20No%20Constraint.png

No constraint; he's free to grow.

A nice surprise for when they awaken.

Ha: What even is perspective?
Also, I never really think about dragon sizes, so it's always a bit of a surprise when I look them up. Vidia is almost four times the size of her companions.
@DragonWolfie Sorry, I've been away from FR the past couplr days and your updates are so long I got intimidated.
Plantlife coming out of wounds is sick, man, and there's a lot I'd sya about that meat update but aaah, I'm pressed for time again. The amount of enemies definitely felt like a meat drop, and the intrigue continues.

Another gray splotch eh? Hmm.
PICK UP STICKS!
Such a lazy afternoon

He grew up overnight, haha, that's funny, mystery of life.
Vidia's behaviour keeps me hooked.
I'm big.
Stumbling! Like, the whole "growing up literally overnight" is actually really neat.
Ah, so he walks on 3 legs does he?

PC wings are so huge, omg.
@DragonWolfie Sorry, I've been away from FR the past couplr days and your updates are so long I got intimidated.
Plantlife coming out of wounds is sick, man, and there's a lot I'd sya about that meat update but aaah, I'm pressed for time again. The amount of enemies definitely felt like a meat drop, and the intrigue continues.

Another gray splotch eh? Hmm.
PICK UP STICKS!
Such a lazy afternoon

He grew up overnight, haha, that's funny, mystery of life.
Vidia's behaviour keeps me hooked.
I'm big.
Stumbling! Like, the whole "growing up literally overnight" is actually really neat.
Ah, so he walks on 3 legs does he?

PC wings are so huge, omg.
tumblr_nwsrmeoR4W1sk2f1lo1_500.png
@Fitali Ah, I'm getting rather into this so when I sit down to write, I end up writing a lot. Even on coli days I've written a lot, oops.

It was the best way I could think of to describe how the elemental Slashes would actually work: a slash, and the their element comes out of the opening to damage the enemy.
And that whole battle was pure chance. On Day 8 I had Akebia running back to fetch Aiki. If Pinkerton hadn't given me a massive coli battle on Day 10, they probably wouldn't have experienced all of that trauma. The randomness from Pinkerton certainly makes it very interesting to write this quest.

Yep, grey splotch. What happens to the pearl in Day 12 should give you a clue as to what's going on.
They needed the time to relax.

At first I thought of making up some more realistic way for Aiki to grow up, but the dragons here do literally go from hatchling to grown-up at rollover, so I thought it'd be an interesting concept to explore. Growing up is awkward enough without such a drastic change in body, so yeah stumbling.
Yep, their art has them carrying their pearl in their back leg, so I decided to go with it. I think that's why they have such long back legs and such an odd shaped chest - to compensate for only walking with 3 legs. He also uses his wings and tail a lot to help balance.

I may have exaggerated Aiki in that picture just to emphasize the change he's undergone. In reality, he's still smaller than everyone else. Hmm, maybe next art day I'll do one of those size comparison things for the group.
@Fitali Ah, I'm getting rather into this so when I sit down to write, I end up writing a lot. Even on coli days I've written a lot, oops.

It was the best way I could think of to describe how the elemental Slashes would actually work: a slash, and the their element comes out of the opening to damage the enemy.
And that whole battle was pure chance. On Day 8 I had Akebia running back to fetch Aiki. If Pinkerton hadn't given me a massive coli battle on Day 10, they probably wouldn't have experienced all of that trauma. The randomness from Pinkerton certainly makes it very interesting to write this quest.

Yep, grey splotch. What happens to the pearl in Day 12 should give you a clue as to what's going on.
They needed the time to relax.

At first I thought of making up some more realistic way for Aiki to grow up, but the dragons here do literally go from hatchling to grown-up at rollover, so I thought it'd be an interesting concept to explore. Growing up is awkward enough without such a drastic change in body, so yeah stumbling.
Yep, their art has them carrying their pearl in their back leg, so I decided to go with it. I think that's why they have such long back legs and such an odd shaped chest - to compensate for only walking with 3 legs. He also uses his wings and tail a lot to help balance.

I may have exaggerated Aiki in that picture just to emphasize the change he's undergone. In reality, he's still smaller than everyone else. Hmm, maybe next art day I'll do one of those size comparison things for the group.
[center][size=6][color=green][b]Day 14[/b][/color][/size] [item=Moldy Leather] [i]Writing[/i] ----- @Fitali @Solaristigres @dragonbano[/center] ----- They left the edges of the pool in the Gladeveins and headed southwest towards the coast. The rest of the day proved peaceful and Aiki only stumbled a couple of times as he continued to get used to walking three-legged in his new, bigger body. They came across a stand of enormous leafy ferns shortly before they reached the coastal cliffs and decided to spend the night beneath their shelter. [columns][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/163258/16325779p.png[/img][nextcol] “We’ve gathered a good amount of ingredients so far.”[/columns] [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/228342/22834140p.png[/img][nextcol] “Ingredients? For dinner?”[/columns] Akebia suddenly realised that their newest friend didn’t even know about their quest! He quickly explained about the Greenskeeper Gathering festival feast, and how they were gathering ingredients from all over the Viridian Labyrinth so their chef and baker could make many delicious dishes. Aiki’s eyes shone with excitement and he pranced around happily. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/228342/22834140p.png[/img][nextcol] “I want to help! Lots of tasty food.”[/columns] [columns][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/163258/16325779p.png[/img][nextcol] “Yeah! It’s going to be the best feast ever!”[/columns] Blossom shook her head in despair. Akebia made a flying leap and tired to grab her, but he missed and went tumbling across the ground. Aiki giggled and Blossom stuck her tongue out at her dragon. Vidia grunted what might have been a laugh. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225435/22543407p.png[/img][nextcol] “What are we going to do with them all? Some of these things won’t keep very well out in all of this heat, especially the Dwarf Fawns and Micro Deer.”[/columns] [columns][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/163258/16325779p.png[/img][nextcol] “We left in such a hurry that I didn’t even consider… We need to get a message back to the clan.”[/columns] Wren perked up. He hovered in front of Floyd and faded his image in and out. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/225435/22543407p.png[/img][nextcol] “Wren says he can help.”[/columns] In the communal dressing room back home at the lair hung an enormous mirror that the dragons used to see how they looked in various clothes. Its intricately carved border was made of beautiful lacquered wood and the mirror’s surface was polished to a high sheen. Their resident stylist stared closely at his fabulous beard, turning his head from side to side to see it from all angles. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/179399/17939888p.png[/img][nextcol] “Hmm, perhaps a little trim at the edges is in order?”[/columns] Suddenly, his image in the mirror distorted oddly, rippled wildly, and then there was a masqued face peering out at him. Orchid leapt back in surprise, almost knocking over a hat stand. A piece of Moldy Leather fell off a shelf and narrowly missed landing on his head. His heart leapt up into his throat and his wings flared in anticipation. But then he sighed when he realised there was no trouble. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/179399/17939888p.png[/img][nextcol] “A little warning next time, darling.”[/columns] Wren bobbed his head in apology. Then he mouthed the word ‘message’. Orchid returned with Matriarch Jinok and her mate Meredith, and also Akebia’s parents: Silvester and Willow. [columns][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/121167/12116619p.png[/img][nextcol] “How goes the quest?”[/columns] Wren bowed his head to the Matriarch. The Deadly Reflection faded from view and words of shimmering purple appeared on the mirror’s surface: [quote name=Akebia date=LetterHome] [size=4][color=purple]“Greetings, Matriarch Jinok. We hope everyone back home is feeling great. We’re doing fine, but a lot has happened since we left on our quest. We decided to go to the Gladeveins first, so we headed along the border river. We found a Guardian named Vidia looking for her lost treasure. A magpie had dropped it on my head a bit earlier, so I was able to give her Iron Nugget back to her. By the way, we uncovered some Copper Ore there. Maybe there’s a good veins there that you can dig up? Just look for the tree with claw marks on it. Vidia was rather hungry, so we hunted Plantain Poachers together. Vidia told us she is on her Search, so I asked if she wanted to come with us and she agreed! She’s a bit growly and seems sad. Me and Floyd will try to help her if we can. There’s something odd going on. The Plantain Poachers were rather stringy, and you know how you’re usually tripping over game along the riverside path? We didn’t run into any at all. We saw signs of a fight or something though: a Rambra had run through, followed by a Swiftfoot Warrior. One of our neighbouring clans might be over hunting; maybe you could ask around about it? When we woke up the next day, we found a Pearlcatcher hatchling curled up with Vidia. His name’s Aiki, and I’m pretty sure he’s an orphan now: his parents fought something and never came back for him. He was all alone, and hungry, so we went looking for food on the edge of the Everbloom Gardens. We finally spotted some animals. They'd gathered around the closest pool in the Gladeveins to drink. I left Aiki in the ‘Gardens, with our familiars guarding him, and we went hunting. We got our first ingredients for the feast! I was really happy when I went back for Aiki. But I shouldn’t have left him alone. He was under attack by a massive Blueridge Greatshell and there were all these animals there too, penning them in. It was really odd. We managed to defeat them all, and got a load more ingredients, but it wasn’t a victory. Jake (that’s Vidia’s Depin) was badly injured. And poor Aiki was terrified. I thought he’d never trust me again. He came to me for comfort and I was so relieved. We didn’t really do anything for the rest of that day. I’m scared that my friends get hurt, but I’m so glad that they’re here with me. Jake recovered (with Floyd's help) and Aiki cheered up enough to play. Aiki grew up overnight and went through the whole awkward process of getting used to being big and learning to walk with his pearl. Vidia also said she’d talk to us sometime. I hope we can help her. We’ve started teaching Aiki how to fight. He wants to learn and he needs to be able to protect himself. It’s dangerous and something not right is going on. And we have all of these ingredients wrapped up ready, but nowhere to store them and they’ll go off if we don’t do something. So, could you send someone out to fetch them, please? Anyway, that’s all that’s happened. Oh, Wren'll show you pictures of our new friends. Speak to you again soon! Love, Akebia, Floyd, Vidia, and Aiki." [/size][/color][/quote] ----- [i]Letters home will become a semi regular thing.[/i]
Day 14

Moldy Leather
Writing

They left the edges of the pool in the Gladeveins and headed southwest towards the coast. The rest of the day proved peaceful and Aiki only stumbled a couple of times as he continued to get used to walking three-legged in his new, bigger body. They came across a stand of enormous leafy ferns shortly before they reached the coastal cliffs and decided to spend the night beneath their shelter.

16325779p.png “We’ve gathered a good amount of ingredients so far.”
22834140p.png “Ingredients? For dinner?”

Akebia suddenly realised that their newest friend didn’t even know about their quest! He quickly explained about the Greenskeeper Gathering festival feast, and how they were gathering ingredients from all over the Viridian Labyrinth so their chef and baker could make many delicious dishes.

Aiki’s eyes shone with excitement and he pranced around happily.

22834140p.png “I want to help! Lots of tasty food.”
16325779p.png “Yeah! It’s going to be the best feast ever!”

Blossom shook her head in despair. Akebia made a flying leap and tired to grab her, but he missed and went tumbling across the ground. Aiki giggled and Blossom stuck her tongue out at her dragon. Vidia grunted what might have been a laugh.

22543407p.png “What are we going to do with them all? Some of these things won’t keep very well out in all of this heat, especially the Dwarf Fawns and Micro Deer.”
16325779p.png “We left in such a hurry that I didn’t even consider… We need to get a message back to the clan.”

Wren perked up. He hovered in front of Floyd and faded his image in and out.

22543407p.png “Wren says he can help.”

In the communal dressing room back home at the lair hung an enormous mirror that the dragons used to see how they looked in various clothes. Its intricately carved border was made of beautiful lacquered wood and the mirror’s surface was polished to a high sheen.

Their resident stylist stared closely at his fabulous beard, turning his head from side to side to see it from all angles.

17939888p.png “Hmm, perhaps a little trim at the edges is in order?”

Suddenly, his image in the mirror distorted oddly, rippled wildly, and then there was a masqued face peering out at him.

Orchid leapt back in surprise, almost knocking over a hat stand. A piece of Moldy Leather fell off a shelf and narrowly missed landing on his head. His heart leapt up into his throat and his wings flared in anticipation. But then he sighed when he realised there was no trouble.

17939888p.png “A little warning next time, darling.”

Wren bobbed his head in apology. Then he mouthed the word ‘message’.

Orchid returned with Matriarch Jinok and her mate Meredith, and also Akebia’s parents: Silvester and Willow.

12116619p.png “How goes the quest?”

Wren bowed his head to the Matriarch. The Deadly Reflection faded from view and words of shimmering purple appeared on the mirror’s surface:

Akebia wrote on LetterHome:
“Greetings, Matriarch Jinok.

We hope everyone back home is feeling great.

We’re doing fine, but a lot has happened since we left on our quest.

We decided to go to the Gladeveins first, so we headed along the border river.

We found a Guardian named Vidia looking for her lost treasure. A magpie had dropped it on my head a bit earlier, so I was able to give her Iron Nugget back to her.

By the way, we uncovered some Copper Ore there. Maybe there’s a good veins there that you can dig up? Just look for the tree with claw marks on it.

Vidia was rather hungry, so we hunted Plantain Poachers together. Vidia told us she is on her Search, so I asked if she wanted to come with us and she agreed! She’s a bit growly and seems sad. Me and Floyd will try to help her if we can.

There’s something odd going on. The Plantain Poachers were rather stringy, and you know how you’re usually tripping over game along the riverside path? We didn’t run into any at all.

We saw signs of a fight or something though: a Rambra had run through, followed by a Swiftfoot Warrior. One of our neighbouring clans might be over hunting; maybe you could ask around about it?

When we woke up the next day, we found a Pearlcatcher hatchling curled up with Vidia. His name’s Aiki, and I’m pretty sure he’s an orphan now: his parents fought something and never came back for him. He was all alone, and hungry, so we went looking for food on the edge of the Everbloom Gardens.

We finally spotted some animals. They'd gathered around the closest pool in the Gladeveins to drink. I left Aiki in the ‘Gardens, with our familiars guarding him, and we went hunting.

We got our first ingredients for the feast!

I was really happy when I went back for Aiki. But I shouldn’t have left him alone.

He was under attack by a massive Blueridge Greatshell and there were all these animals there too, penning them in. It was really odd. We managed to defeat them all, and got a load more ingredients, but it wasn’t a victory.

Jake (that’s Vidia’s Depin) was badly injured. And poor Aiki was terrified. I thought he’d never trust me again.

He came to me for comfort and I was so relieved. We didn’t really do anything for the rest of that day. I’m scared that my friends get hurt, but I’m so glad that they’re here with me. Jake recovered (with Floyd's help) and Aiki cheered up enough to play.

Aiki grew up overnight and went through the whole awkward process of getting used to being big and learning to walk with his pearl. Vidia also said she’d talk to us sometime. I hope we can help her.

We’ve started teaching Aiki how to fight. He wants to learn and he needs to be able to protect himself. It’s dangerous and something not right is going on.

And we have all of these ingredients wrapped up ready, but nowhere to store them and they’ll go off if we don’t do something. So, could you send someone out to fetch them, please?

Anyway, that’s all that’s happened.

Oh, Wren'll show you pictures of our new friends.

Speak to you again soon!

Love, Akebia, Floyd, Vidia, and Aiki."

Letters home will become a semi regular thing.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28 29