Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Great dragon books?
1 2 3 4 5
@Swords
Different tastes I suppose hehe :D

If you like short stories, "The Dragon Book" (edited by Jack Dann and Gardner Dozois) is a very good collection c: Stories by some very big names in fantasy, and theres all kinds of dragons, from shapeshifters too very traditional ones, so I recommend that one as well!
@Swords
Different tastes I suppose hehe :D

If you like short stories, "The Dragon Book" (edited by Jack Dann and Gardner Dozois) is a very good collection c: Stories by some very big names in fantasy, and theres all kinds of dragons, from shapeshifters too very traditional ones, so I recommend that one as well!
MMIcon.pngcTJbhic.png
@Swords Looks like you've already got a lot of books to look into, but here's one that I read years ago. The Dragon series by Lawrence Yep (book 1 is Dragon of the Lost Sea) is pretty decent, if I remember.
@Swords Looks like you've already got a lot of books to look into, but here's one that I read years ago. The Dragon series by Lawrence Yep (book 1 is Dragon of the Lost Sea) is pretty decent, if I remember.
sAN6W1Z.png
rGQuZtv.png
Wow, thanks, everyone! You've given me a summersworth of dragon books to read, haha!
Wow, thanks, everyone! You've given me a summersworth of dragon books to read, haha!
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles are awesome!
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles are awesome!
The Age of Fire series was pretty good. It's about three different dragon siblings.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend the Inheritance Cycle, it's a bit of a rip-off from Star Wars, with a bunch of added cliches and an extra dosage of Can't Argue With Elves.
The Age of Fire series was pretty good. It's about three different dragon siblings.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend the Inheritance Cycle, it's a bit of a rip-off from Star Wars, with a bunch of added cliches and an extra dosage of Can't Argue With Elves.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you cannot always be sure of their authenticity." ~ Abraham Lincoln, 1864
I saw the Temeraire series being mentioned, and I've read every but the last book (Blood of Tyrants) since it wasn't avaliable in pocket last time I went to the bookshop. It does get a bit slow at some times, historically I can't tell what's correct or not since I haven't read about the napoleon war. But the characters are lovely and in a general it's a good series that I'm gonna re-read once I pick up the last book.

But yeah, I agree with Whicke about the Inheritance Cycle (love the phrasing you used).
It feels like Paolini took every single thing he could think of and just crammed it into the books. A struggle to read, and I haven't bothered reading the last.
I saw the Temeraire series being mentioned, and I've read every but the last book (Blood of Tyrants) since it wasn't avaliable in pocket last time I went to the bookshop. It does get a bit slow at some times, historically I can't tell what's correct or not since I haven't read about the napoleon war. But the characters are lovely and in a general it's a good series that I'm gonna re-read once I pick up the last book.

But yeah, I agree with Whicke about the Inheritance Cycle (love the phrasing you used).
It feels like Paolini took every single thing he could think of and just crammed it into the books. A struggle to read, and I haven't bothered reading the last.
To be honest, I loved the Inheritance Cycle. Interesting book, great characters, and it was a great read.

Though I'd like to argue Whicke's point about him taking from other source material. Everything does that. Everything. Elves in pretty much all modern literature is all thanks to Tolkien. And he wasn't even original. Elves are just fairies of the Seelie and Unseelie courts of Celtic mythology. Authors steal from each other. It's just how well you do it that makes you a good author or not.

It's a good book nonetheless, though. And unlike a lot of people who write fantasy (as I've noticed), Paolini actually does a good job fleshing out the world and the languages. I'd recommend the book, it's a good read.

...As for the book on dragons made out of clay that I saw mentioned earlier, that would be the Fire Within. I don't know the series name, but it's kind of geared towards a lower reading level than say, Inheritance Cycle.

But I'm surprised. I don't think I've seen mention of the Dragonology series in this thread. Has no one heard of it?
To be honest, I loved the Inheritance Cycle. Interesting book, great characters, and it was a great read.

Though I'd like to argue Whicke's point about him taking from other source material. Everything does that. Everything. Elves in pretty much all modern literature is all thanks to Tolkien. And he wasn't even original. Elves are just fairies of the Seelie and Unseelie courts of Celtic mythology. Authors steal from each other. It's just how well you do it that makes you a good author or not.

It's a good book nonetheless, though. And unlike a lot of people who write fantasy (as I've noticed), Paolini actually does a good job fleshing out the world and the languages. I'd recommend the book, it's a good read.

...As for the book on dragons made out of clay that I saw mentioned earlier, that would be the Fire Within. I don't know the series name, but it's kind of geared towards a lower reading level than say, Inheritance Cycle.

But I'm surprised. I don't think I've seen mention of the Dragonology series in this thread. Has no one heard of it?
Flight Rising Time +3/ESTNo Roleplay - not my thing here, not interested, too much rp related traumaMail okay - just don't be weird!Please ping
Mobile UserPC UserSemi-activeEnglish; I am cursed with monolinguism
Gender: ???Bisexual (pronouns: he/she, she/him, w/e)Sapphic (Sapphic flag)Polyamorous flag with the white triangle and yellow heart.
@MidnightWing

*screeches*

THAT'S IT! A Book Dragon! It's the name of the book I've been trying to remember/find again for years! Thank you thank you thank you!
@MidnightWing

*screeches*

THAT'S IT! A Book Dragon! It's the name of the book I've been trying to remember/find again for years! Thank you thank you thank you!
hey guys is this tik tok
Bitterwood by James Maxey is my favorite dragon book ._.
Bitterwood by James Maxey is my favorite dragon book ._.
snowclear_zpstpw7rwqt.gif
I have a whole bunch I'd recommend, but I'm blanking on names X(
I have a whole bunch I'd recommend, but I'm blanking on names X(
H0YTYF1.png CAgQpkV.png 7p4ZvEX.png TX13MWN.png
1 2 3 4 5