Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | New breed's name inspired by apparel?
1 2
This is trivial/just a coincidence undoubtedly, though I can't help but wonder if there is a connection between fathom dragons and these apparel items? [item=Fathomsearch Halo][item=Fathomsearch Spirit Jug] these maren are working towards the same goal and share a similar name, too [item= Fathomsearch Ambassador]
This is trivial/just a coincidence undoubtedly, though I can't help but wonder if there is a connection between fathom dragons and these apparel items?
Fathomsearch Halo Fathomsearch Spirit Jug

these maren are working towards the same goal and share a similar name, too
Fathomsearch Ambassador

csJrlej.png
3dokvee.png
comev47.png
3bb19a2e65e428d24c93ae6e9f17e77973c939ea.png
YUEtAn1.png
dEe2UrM.png
f5c0adf655eaaeb871411a368de8ed0ce8164fc9.png
"Fathom" is a measurement of 6 feet that's frequently used to talk about how deep water is. That's the connection.
"Fathom" is a measurement of 6 feet that's frequently used to talk about how deep water is. That's the connection.
Nest Rentals! I offer Fire nests here at 2kt a pair, no lunch boxes needed. Warning that I am a 12-hr shift night worker and might miss a day on incubation here and there. :(
Feel free to ping me anywhere! I try to subscribe to threads I create, but pings are always cool.
I would assume it's the other way around: the dragon breed was named first, and the items were possibly named after the dragons. It's also a unit of depth measurement, but since they've got the name "fathom[i]search[/i]" and the Fathoms are also searching, maybe? Could be a stretch but could be fun too. There's a missing dragon ID in the Scrying Workshop between Obelisks and Gaolers (which were released in 2019), which the Fathoms are likely to slot into, as well as livestream images from 2013 showing several breeds in development: [img]https://i.imgur.com/iBr9Yvm.png[/img] We now know Coatls, Nocturnes and Bogsneaks are the ones being shown with cloaks in the black squares. Still, there's space for two more breeds in the "So much nope" areas, likely Obelisks and Fathoms both.
I would assume it's the other way around: the dragon breed was named first, and the items were possibly named after the dragons. It's also a unit of depth measurement, but since they've got the name "fathomsearch" and the Fathoms are also searching, maybe? Could be a stretch but could be fun too.

There's a missing dragon ID in the Scrying Workshop between Obelisks and Gaolers (which were released in 2019), which the Fathoms are likely to slot into, as well as livestream images from 2013 showing several breeds in development:

iBr9Yvm.png

We now know Coatls, Nocturnes and Bogsneaks are the ones being shown with cloaks in the black squares. Still, there's space for two more breeds in the "So much nope" areas, likely Obelisks and Fathoms both.
5mDnfD3.png
Fathom has already been defined, so I'll just throw in that I doubt the items were named after the dragon. Most likely its just coincidental when going for nautical-themed names.
Fathom has already been defined, so I'll just throw in that I doubt the items were named after the dragon. Most likely its just coincidental when going for nautical-themed names.
SFixrnH.pngIeBhKII.png Tf2WhDq.pngnJ9aapY.png
I can't fathom whether or not there's a link [emoji=imperial tongue size=1]
I can't fathom whether or not there's a link
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

I think considering a fathom is also a unit of measurement, it might be a coincidence, but I won’t rule out entirely that they could be connected. I just think it’s unlikely.
Gj9DhHn.png
WjJZ2Rn.png
mlHpBMC.png
Q5PUVtn.gif
vEBUH8S.png
TfeviN2.png
divider.png lightshieldr.png
[quote name="Snaphance" date="2024-06-12 01:39:02" ] [img]https://i.imgur.com/iBr9Yvm.png[/img] [/quote] [img]https://i.imgur.com/f2K7391.jpeg[/img] /j
Snaphance wrote on 2024-06-12 01:39:02:
iBr9Yvm.png
f2K7391.jpeg

/j
Oh snap, I was going to post the same thing, but I'm glad someone else thought so too! While fathoms are indeed a unit of measurement, I agree with @/Snaphance that it's the "search" part that really got me thinking about the link. Maybe we might get a related apparel item to complete the set, though? A fathomsearch Merrigan hat replica?
Oh snap, I was going to post the same thing, but I'm glad someone else thought so too! While fathoms are indeed a unit of measurement, I agree with @/Snaphance that it's the "search" part that really got me thinking about the link. Maybe we might get a related apparel item to complete the set, though? A fathomsearch Merrigan hat replica?
PphCb2h.png0KJLkHj.pngqFbe5lO.png
[quote name="TheDeathseer" date="2024-06-12 06:54:44" ] Maybe we might get a related apparel item to complete the set, though? A fathomsearch Merrigan hat replica? [/quote] I can bet a finger there is a load of users who would buy a thousand Merrigan hats and shawls
TheDeathseer wrote on 2024-06-12 06:54:44:
Maybe we might get a related apparel item to complete the set, though? A fathomsearch Merrigan hat replica?

I can bet a finger there is a load of users who would buy a thousand Merrigan hats and shawls
csJrlej.png
3dokvee.png
comev47.png
3bb19a2e65e428d24c93ae6e9f17e77973c939ea.png
YUEtAn1.png
dEe2UrM.png
f5c0adf655eaaeb871411a368de8ed0ce8164fc9.png
so the swimming pool in my back yard is a fathom and a half deep? cool
so the swimming pool in my back yard is a fathom and a half deep? cool
1 2