Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Resizing image w/out losing quality?
Hi there! I'm trying to make a (better) signature for my artshop out of a scanned piece of mine, but I'm having a lot of difficulty resizing it without turning it into pixel soup. I've got access to Krita for image editing, which makes resizing & cropping it convenient, but I feel like there has to be some way to get the fancy high-res signatures I see other folks sporting.

I gather FR doesn't support live image resizing, so I couldn't just upload an image at double resolution & have bbcode scale it down to the proper size. Full signature dimensions, as far as I gather, are 525x100px. Any help would be appreciated, and thank you!!
Hi there! I'm trying to make a (better) signature for my artshop out of a scanned piece of mine, but I'm having a lot of difficulty resizing it without turning it into pixel soup. I've got access to Krita for image editing, which makes resizing & cropping it convenient, but I feel like there has to be some way to get the fancy high-res signatures I see other folks sporting.

I gather FR doesn't support live image resizing, so I couldn't just upload an image at double resolution & have bbcode scale it down to the proper size. Full signature dimensions, as far as I gather, are 525x100px. Any help would be appreciated, and thank you!!
YUDrFCG.png
What size are you scanning them at? You can usually specify the DPI when you scan a piece of paper. Oh, and do you have any examples of the final images versus original image?
What size are you scanning them at? You can usually specify the DPI when you scan a piece of paper. Oh, and do you have any examples of the final images versus original image?
@dragonpals if I understand correctly you want to use a scanned piece as a signature and you are having trouble with it looking good after resizing? is it a problem of scaling it up or down?
my main suggestions/first ideas are either
1. playing a bit with different resolutions when scanning - if you need a bigger image try scanning at higher resolution, while if you need a smaller one, scan at lower resolution. For further editing, you can change the resolution with or without changing the dimensions in cm, which should...change it in pixels I believe? kinda hard for me to remember without checking on PC
2. if krita allows you to (I'm not used to it), try different resizing options. Others like photoshop or clip studio paint have an option where you can change what type of resizing you want (bilineal, bicubic, sharp, softer etc) and that sometimes helps not losing pixel quality!
@dragonpals if I understand correctly you want to use a scanned piece as a signature and you are having trouble with it looking good after resizing? is it a problem of scaling it up or down?
my main suggestions/first ideas are either
1. playing a bit with different resolutions when scanning - if you need a bigger image try scanning at higher resolution, while if you need a smaller one, scan at lower resolution. For further editing, you can change the resolution with or without changing the dimensions in cm, which should...change it in pixels I believe? kinda hard for me to remember without checking on PC
2. if krita allows you to (I'm not used to it), try different resizing options. Others like photoshop or clip studio paint have an option where you can change what type of resizing you want (bilineal, bicubic, sharp, softer etc) and that sometimes helps not losing pixel quality!
They/them | FR+9 | ASD Adult
Creativity raffle! - Dress, scry,
doodle or write to enter!

FR Adopt shop (Pinglist)

ztz8WZo.png 4KULg1s.png ioHFmNA.png
...kFgUr6t.pngqaL7JkA.gifhKSIntK.gifqXWTZcz.gif
Krita does have different resizing options. They're under “Image” → “Scale Image To New Size." It looks like Lanczos3 or Hanning is the best if you're having to downscale a bunch.
Krita does have different resizing options. They're under “Image” → “Scale Image To New Size." It looks like Lanczos3 or Hanning is the best if you're having to downscale a bunch.
@AboveClouds @Hikumi Got another chance to try again today, and the bicubic resizing method worked great! Thank you both for your help-- how does the signature below look? :) And here’s the full scanned piece!! [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1091174801638432808/1167923805805621268/Scan_20231028.png[/img]
@AboveClouds @Hikumi Got another chance to try again today, and the bicubic resizing method worked great! Thank you both for your help-- how does the signature below look? :)

And here’s the full scanned piece!!
Scan_20231028.png
YUDrFCG.png
@dragonpals maybe just slightly blurry on sig but I am zooming in a little to read the text from phone so I might not be realiable. Still, it looks quite good I think! Doesnt look too pixeled or weird
@dragonpals maybe just slightly blurry on sig but I am zooming in a little to read the text from phone so I might not be realiable. Still, it looks quite good I think! Doesnt look too pixeled or weird
They/them | FR+9 | ASD Adult
Creativity raffle! - Dress, scry,
doodle or write to enter!

FR Adopt shop (Pinglist)

ztz8WZo.png 4KULg1s.png ioHFmNA.png
...kFgUr6t.pngqaL7JkA.gifhKSIntK.gifqXWTZcz.gif