Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Naming Conventions
1 2 3 4
more often than not my dragons get mythological names from around the world, but there are enough exceptions that i would say i'm not very strict about it.
more often than not my dragons get mythological names from around the world, but there are enough exceptions that i would say i'm not very strict about it.
When people meet me on here, they usually say, "Oh, you're the one with the II's!" The story is that my custom progen and clan leader, although named after my usual online pseudonym, is modeled after the Psiioniic from Homestuck, who has doubled "I"s in his title. So the other lair members also use doubled "I"s in their names to express allegiance to his clan. There are some exceptions, but those are mostly legacies, temporary names, and the occasional character dragon.
When people meet me on here, they usually say, "Oh, you're the one with the II's!" The story is that my custom progen and clan leader, although named after my usual online pseudonym, is modeled after the Psiioniic from Homestuck, who has doubled "I"s in his title. So the other lair members also use doubled "I"s in their names to express allegiance to his clan. There are some exceptions, but those are mostly legacies, temporary names, and the occasional character dragon.
e2i04jb.png
Titian with TWO 'i's! Please double check my name when pinging me! Thank you!!
Medical terms.

Except for my Flambebe. He's a floofy mascot.
Medical terms.

Except for my Flambebe. He's a floofy mascot.
Except for a few dragons I got on my first day, so far I've done Quenya/Sindarin or Ancient Greek names. I try to choose names that mean something relevant to the dragon, like Hestia has a soft, warm color scheme so I named her after the Greek goddess of the hearth and home. I've only been on the site a few days though so we'll see how long I can keep this up!
Except for a few dragons I got on my first day, so far I've done Quenya/Sindarin or Ancient Greek names. I try to choose names that mean something relevant to the dragon, like Hestia has a soft, warm color scheme so I named her after the Greek goddess of the hearth and home. I've only been on the site a few days though so we'll see how long I can keep this up!
tumblr_inline_nitm4pYBdg1t8garv.pngazumarill.gifwater_banner.png
Names in my clan are liberally lifted from dead gods and demons originating in Mesoamerica, Ireland, and the ancient Levant.

Mostly.
Names in my clan are liberally lifted from dead gods and demons originating in Mesoamerica, Ireland, and the ancient Levant.

Mostly.
I normally have names ready in my head and then search dragons that fit them.
Yes. that's basically how I buy dragons.
I'm currently searching for a Rasputina.
I normally have names ready in my head and then search dragons that fit them.
Yes. that's basically how I buy dragons.
I'm currently searching for a Rasputina.
fuoDMXr.pngbsky - twitter - tumblr - he\they
My dragons are named in reference to one of their colors and whatever sounds good with that reference. Except for Adewn. She was a gift. I'm thinking of changing them all to Lovecraft names.

Correction, I am working on acquiring the scrolls of renaming at this moment. Because everyone had a lot of names so I'll run out of dragons before I run out of beasties from my library.
My dragons are named in reference to one of their colors and whatever sounds good with that reference. Except for Adewn. She was a gift. I'm thinking of changing them all to Lovecraft names.

Correction, I am working on acquiring the scrolls of renaming at this moment. Because everyone had a lot of names so I'll run out of dragons before I run out of beasties from my library.
I sorta have a naming scheme, it's a very loose one though. I take a good look at the dragon that I've obtained and name them after their color or what my head thinks they "act" like. Like the coatl I got recently, I named them Aedus- or fire- for their warm coloration.

The exceptions are Buchanan- my one starter (I used the random button) and Fei who had that name when I bought her and I don't feel like renaming her. /D
I sorta have a naming scheme, it's a very loose one though. I take a good look at the dragon that I've obtained and name them after their color or what my head thinks they "act" like. Like the coatl I got recently, I named them Aedus- or fire- for their warm coloration.

The exceptions are Buchanan- my one starter (I used the random button) and Fei who had that name when I bought her and I don't feel like renaming her. /D
ywCJX34.png
My dragons are given nonsensical fantasy names that sounded good at the time, always three or four syllables. The (sort of) exception are the lineage from my progenitors. The first-born son of each generation has a name that starts with the appropriate latin number prefix. I've got them worked out all the way down to the ninth generation- Nonavel. (and his father Octavius, his father Septivus, his father Hexalir...)
My dragons are given nonsensical fantasy names that sounded good at the time, always three or four syllables. The (sort of) exception are the lineage from my progenitors. The first-born son of each generation has a name that starts with the appropriate latin number prefix. I've got them worked out all the way down to the ninth generation- Nonavel. (and his father Octavius, his father Septivus, his father Hexalir...)
I mostly do it randomly, but I have a lot of plant-themed names in my lair compared to everything else.
I mostly do it randomly, but I have a lot of plant-themed names in my lair compared to everything else.
The sun warms the soilowHD2Fr.pngon a cool autumn day.
1 2 3 4