Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Reward Delivery Changes
1 2 ... 76 77 78 79 80 ... 86 87
14 Day window would be a little more ideal, for some reason 7 days doesn't seem like that's enough.

Edit: But I do agree! The system seems a lot less taxing on the devs which is always a plus~
14 Day window would be a little more ideal, for some reason 7 days doesn't seem like that's enough.

Edit: But I do agree! The system seems a lot less taxing on the devs which is always a plus~
I'm on various websites so here's where I'm at.
My LinkTr.ee
Oh my goodness, I never realized that the item distribution feature for special events was so taxing! I'm glad that these changes will make things less stressful on the Stormlight team.

Really glad to see the team coming up with creative ways to help make the site's features sustainable as it scales. Thank you! Also: Galore looks so awesome! I love it when new characters are introduced.
Oh my goodness, I never realized that the item distribution feature for special events was so taxing! I'm glad that these changes will make things less stressful on the Stormlight team.

Really glad to see the team coming up with creative ways to help make the site's features sustainable as it scales. Thank you! Also: Galore looks so awesome! I love it when new characters are introduced.
U6cnrjD.png
Great idea!!! I think this is a good solution. I think a week is plenty of time, but I could get behind two weeks too!

That guardian is very handsome...
Great idea!!! I think this is a good solution. I think a week is plenty of time, but I could get behind two weeks too!

That guardian is very handsome...
Designated Ridgeback Smoocher
I'm on a quest to get every forum vista I can!
Icon Dragon | Sales Tab
Does Matt Mercer know about Gilmore uh,, Galore?
Does Matt Mercer know about Gilmore uh,, Galore?
hello!

i love the guardian already
hello!

i love the guardian already
Cookie
[quote name="@SilverDeath" date="2019-05-07 11:17:26" ] @/McAlli The reasoning is in the very first section. It causes server strain to distribute hundreds of thousands of items all at once. Bolded for emphasis: [quote name="Xhaztol" date="2019-05-06 10:37:38" ] As some may remember, when the site was young, these items were attached to private messages. As time went on and the player base grew, that became more and more taxing on the messaging system. We moved to performing that functionality on the backend, but the player population has again grown so vast that it [b]results in considerable strain to the system to deliver these items simultaneously to hundreds of thousands of inventories[/b]. It also requires manual work by the engineering team to make these deliveries possible, often requiring they be present at odd hours and off-days.[/quote] [/quote] They don't have to deliver all the items at once, though. A roll out system would be fine if they announced that was what was happening. We have ID numbers, just chop them up into reasonable sections of schedule a rollout every half hour or something like that, idk.
@SilverDeath wrote on 2019-05-07 11:17:26:
@/McAlli The reasoning is in the very first section. It causes server strain to distribute hundreds of thousands of items all at once. Bolded for emphasis:
Xhaztol wrote on 2019-05-06 10:37:38:
As some may remember, when the site was young, these items were attached to private messages. As time went on and the player base grew, that became more and more taxing on the messaging system.

We moved to performing that functionality on the backend, but the player population has again grown so vast that it results in considerable strain to the system to deliver these items simultaneously to hundreds of thousands of inventories.

It also requires manual work by the engineering team to make these deliveries possible, often requiring they be present at odd hours and off-days.

They don't have to deliver all the items at once, though. A roll out system would be fine if they announced that was what was happening. We have ID numbers, just chop them up into reasonable sections of schedule a rollout every half hour or something like that, idk.
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
This is a really cool idea! I do think 7 days is still a little short.

14 days maybe? I'm planning on travelling for the next 12 months so I know I won't be able to log in and collect things like this frequently and I'd be sad to miss things but I think two weeks is a wide enough window to account for people being on holiday etc.
This is a really cool idea! I do think 7 days is still a little short.

14 days maybe? I'm planning on travelling for the next 12 months so I know I won't be able to log in and collect things like this frequently and I'd be sad to miss things but I think two weeks is a wide enough window to account for people being on holiday etc.
I'm usually asleep/at work between 12pm - 8am FR time
oUkKcU4.png ROyFQqy.png
This is an amazing idea! And I LOVE galore’s design! So cute!
This is an amazing idea! And I LOVE galore’s design! So cute!
I agree 14 days would be better, because if you're super busy, it's sometimes easy to miss a week.

I wonder if this means that we will be getting more exclusive items, since they're easier to distribute through Galore. As is, with the complex system, we don't really get a lot besides Marva and FR Anniversary stuff. I know there's usually one or two unique things a year, but that's a lot of time for Galore's post to be empty. If it's not gonna be giving out more stuff that's nbd, i'm not ungrateful, I just think it would be a pity for this beautiful NPC and art not to see a whole lot of use

If it does end up not being stocked very often, I'd suggest that maybe Galore could have one tab for these exclusive items, and another for player donations? It's fairly common for pet sites to have a place where users can dump some stuff for other players or newbies to grab, so it wouldn't be out of place, and would definitely get the gift station more traction/use. Just a thought though!
I agree 14 days would be better, because if you're super busy, it's sometimes easy to miss a week.

I wonder if this means that we will be getting more exclusive items, since they're easier to distribute through Galore. As is, with the complex system, we don't really get a lot besides Marva and FR Anniversary stuff. I know there's usually one or two unique things a year, but that's a lot of time for Galore's post to be empty. If it's not gonna be giving out more stuff that's nbd, i'm not ungrateful, I just think it would be a pity for this beautiful NPC and art not to see a whole lot of use

If it does end up not being stocked very often, I'd suggest that maybe Galore could have one tab for these exclusive items, and another for player donations? It's fairly common for pet sites to have a place where users can dump some stuff for other players or newbies to grab, so it wouldn't be out of place, and would definitely get the gift station more traction/use. Just a thought though!
P1hD8rM.pngtumblr_ong8rlPuf31rx0b4wo1_100.pngEZkTzMm.png
Lion | 24 | He/Him
I like this idea!
I like this idea!
Heads up, I'm awkward.
6tzHcpd.jpg
1 2 ... 76 77 78 79 80 ... 86 87