Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Festival skin prices
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16
I 100% support basically any combination of: lowering skin prices, making skins available for fest currency, and putting more skins in Baldwin's. Anything that will make it easier to keep up with the growing number of skins while also allowing people to buy the specific skins they want.

The announcement mentioned putting another skin into chests each fest but I don't feel like that is very helpful at all. I don't know if other people are grinding a lot more+getting way luckier with RNG, but I have NEVER gotten a full set of coli chests and I've been here 10 years. Even in fests where I have gotten a lot of chests, there are always duplicates, which doesn't help at all if your goal is to catch them all.
I 100% support basically any combination of: lowering skin prices, making skins available for fest currency, and putting more skins in Baldwin's. Anything that will make it easier to keep up with the growing number of skins while also allowing people to buy the specific skins they want.

The announcement mentioned putting another skin into chests each fest but I don't feel like that is very helpful at all. I don't know if other people are grinding a lot more+getting way luckier with RNG, but I have NEVER gotten a full set of coli chests and I've been here 10 years. Even in fests where I have gotten a lot of chests, there are always duplicates, which doesn't help at all if your goal is to catch them all.
250.png
I supported this earlier, but realize I want to reiterate some of the points people have made.

Having more skins be obtainable through Baldwin would be nice since Baldwin is more of a time and resource sink than a treasure sink and it's always nice to have more to use Baldwin for. It's such a good mechanic that I wish there was more to use it for.

Having other skins be obtainable through festival currency would be great - I don't have any interest in any of the genes and I'm sure other people feel similarly. Not to mention, it kind of doubles back to my desire to use Baldwin more - festival currency is brewable so people who need more of it can get it there. I might be an outlier, but I hardly grind most festivals and typically have lots of leftover currency at the end so having other options for spending it would be nice, rather than just continuing to save it and not use it from year to year.
I supported this earlier, but realize I want to reiterate some of the points people have made.

Having more skins be obtainable through Baldwin would be nice since Baldwin is more of a time and resource sink than a treasure sink and it's always nice to have more to use Baldwin for. It's such a good mechanic that I wish there was more to use it for.

Having other skins be obtainable through festival currency would be great - I don't have any interest in any of the genes and I'm sure other people feel similarly. Not to mention, it kind of doubles back to my desire to use Baldwin more - festival currency is brewable so people who need more of it can get it there. I might be an outlier, but I hardly grind most festivals and typically have lots of leftover currency at the end so having other options for spending it would be nice, rather than just continuing to save it and not use it from year to year.
[quote name="Teeka" date="2024-05-19 12:15:21" ] Having other skins be obtainable through festival currency would be great - I don't have any interest in any of the genes and I'm sure other people feel similarly. Not to mention, it kind of doubles back to my desire to use Baldwin more - festival currency is brewable so people who need more of it can get it there. I might be an outlier, but I hardly grind most festivals and typically have lots of leftover currency at the end so having other options for spending it would be nice, rather than just continuing to save it and not use it from year to year. [/quote] Could not disagree more. There's too much to buy with fest currency with a million of these stupid genes that I have no idea if I'm gonna need later in the year and don't want to pay mark-ups for or wait another year for, and the return of the small apparel item for this fest cycle too - AND [i]more[/i] genes. It's too much. Adding skins into that as well is too much. You're just asking me to do more grinding than normal for a different currency. It isn't fixing the issue as much as it is moving the issue. Maybe I'M the outlier since I don't do coli, I only do my dailies and brew, but this would guarantee that I'd be stressed out since I know I'm going to buy the other fest items regardless and want several copies. Unlike the rest of the skins, that I may not buy all of to begin with and definitely not several copies. Baldwin I can get behind, but the real solution in my mind is just that the prices need to be lowered and the drop rates upped slightly for having skins drop in coli and gathering. Please. Please.
Teeka wrote on 2024-05-19 12:15:21:

Could not disagree more. There's too much to buy with fest currency with a million of these stupid genes that I have no idea if I'm gonna need later in the year and don't want to pay mark-ups for or wait another year for, and the return of the small apparel item for this fest cycle too - AND more genes. It's too much. Adding skins into that as well is too much. You're just asking me to do more grinding than normal for a different currency. It isn't fixing the issue as much as it is moving the issue.
Maybe I'M the outlier since I don't do coli, I only do my dailies and brew, but this would guarantee that I'd be stressed out since I know I'm going to buy the other fest items regardless and want several copies. Unlike the rest of the skins, that I may not buy all of to begin with and definitely not several copies.

Baldwin I can get behind, but the real solution in my mind is just that the prices need to be lowered and the drop rates upped slightly for having skins drop in coli and gathering. Please. Please.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
[quote name="Recallback" date="2024-05-19 12:31:06" ] [quote name="Teeka" date="2024-05-19 12:15:21" ] Having other skins be obtainable through festival currency would be great - I don't have any interest in any of the genes and I'm sure other people feel similarly. Not to mention, it kind of doubles back to my desire to use Baldwin more - festival currency is brewable so people who need more of it can get it there. I might be an outlier, but I hardly grind most festivals and typically have lots of leftover currency at the end so having other options for spending it would be nice, rather than just continuing to save it and not use it from year to year. [/quote] Could not disagree more. There's too much to buy with fest currency with a million of these stupid genes that I have no idea if I'm gonna need later in the year and don't want to pay mark-ups for or wait another year for, and the return of the small apparel item for this fest cycle too - AND [i]more[/i] genes. It's too much. Adding skins into that as well is too much. You're just asking me to do more grinding than normal for a different currency. It isn't fixing the issue as much as it is moving the issue. Maybe I'M the outlier since I don't do coli, I only do my dailies and brew, but this would guarantee that I'd be stressed out since I know I'm going to buy the other fest items regardless and want several copies. Unlike the rest of the skins, that I may not buy all of to begin with and definitely not several copies. Baldwin I can get behind, but the real solution in my mind is just that the prices need to be lowered and the drop rates upped slightly for having skins drop in coli and gathering. Please. Please. [/quote] I was more saying that it should be a combination of the three - lower prices, some coming from Baldwin, and some obtainable via fest currency to spread out the grinding a little more?
Recallback wrote on 2024-05-19 12:31:06:
Teeka wrote on 2024-05-19 12:15:21:

Could not disagree more. There's too much to buy with fest currency with a million of these stupid genes that I have no idea if I'm gonna need later in the year and don't want to pay mark-ups for or wait another year for, and the return of the small apparel item for this fest cycle too - AND more genes. It's too much. Adding skins into that as well is too much. You're just asking me to do more grinding than normal for a different currency. It isn't fixing the issue as much as it is moving the issue.
Maybe I'M the outlier since I don't do coli, I only do my dailies and brew, but this would guarantee that I'd be stressed out since I know I'm going to buy the other fest items regardless and want several copies. Unlike the rest of the skins, that I may not buy all of to begin with and definitely not several copies.

Baldwin I can get behind, but the real solution in my mind is just that the prices need to be lowered and the drop rates upped slightly for having skins drop in coli and gathering. Please. Please.

I was more saying that it should be a combination of the three - lower prices, some coming from Baldwin, and some obtainable via fest currency to spread out the grinding a little more?
No support for lowering the price of fest skins as they are a valuable treasure sink and collecting them all is not required, support for making some skins available for fest currency and adding more to baldwin, and perhaps slightly upping the drop rate of the coli/gathering skins
No support for lowering the price of fest skins as they are a valuable treasure sink and collecting them all is not required, support for making some skins available for fest currency and adding more to baldwin, and perhaps slightly upping the drop rate of the coli/gathering skins
"Hi my name is Crow with a B and I’ve been afraid of insects my whole lif-" "Stop stop stop- where?" "What?" "Where’s the B? "TherE'S A BEE???"
Pixel Adopts --- Wishlist/Gene tracker
[quote name="gemajgall" date="2024-05-19 08:03:48" ] I feel it is unreasonable due to festivals ONLY having a week to get the items people want until it's RNG and loot box mechanics. As I said before, I have other goals on FR I want to pursue too, and I don't want my entire FR experience to be dictated by festivals. I also don't like the implication that people being unable to afford all the items they want within a single week's window is somehow due to poor financial management.[/quote] RNG and lootbox mechanics is clearly not the only way to get these things. Even extremely expensive skins that are old (usually also completely retired like 2014 skin [gamedb item=4146] is just under 900g right now) are available for exactly the price you see on the AH. People have been buying duplicates to resell later for ages. Even 2017 accent [gamedb item=21133] is 70g - a markup, but this is also a seven year old skin, or something. I personally think that it's disingenuous to apply FOMO to something that [i]will be available[/i] (which we can now say with as near to certainty as possible with how long the Spare Inventory Crate has been out due to past behavior), just at a higher price. It doesn't make sense to apply the Fear of Missing Out to the fear of having to pay more. This item will still be here. There are still ten of the 2016 [gamedb item=19328] on the AH right now for about 300g. This skin is something like [i]eight years old[/i]. Less popular ones as old are still 30-50g. I know from experience that old fest skins are pretty difficult to sell, so they aren't up very often. But there are literally hundreds and hundreds of copies out there sitting in hoards waiting to be sold because they just take months and months for someone to want them. A 20% markup for an eight year old skin you've decided you want is not unreasonable. Wanting a change to future-proof oneself (that is, not wanting to pay an increased price, no matter how small, apparently) doesn't have an any-less-arbitrary stopping point than the one we're at currently. There is a certain amount of urgency that is required for a game like this to be successful. And, no, I don't think anybody's saying the only reason one might have missed the skins in a festival is poor financial management. At least I never did. I've gone on vacation or the hospital or just got bored with the game, and I've missed many festivals. But is poor financial management sometimes the reason? Absolutely. It would be just as silly to say it's never the reason. And [i]that's okay[/i]. It might very well be the reason for some people at some times. I do know that good financial management will alleviate some of the worry, though. For sure. EDIT: Not all of this is to you specifically (except the bit about financial management, which I don't remember anyone else seem to talk about as much, and I kinda mentioned it so I just went on, I guess?), I just thought you said it in the most concise manner. Also, I object to the "don't buy it" suggestion being misconstrued as a "don't buy it ever." I'm pretty sure every suggestion to not buy it during the festival that brings up and of the myriad ways to obtain them later is saying do buy them. Just not right now. Why do we need to have [i]everything right now[/i].
gemajgall wrote on 2024-05-19 08:03:48:
I feel it is unreasonable due to festivals ONLY having a week to get the items people want until it's RNG and loot box mechanics. As I said before, I have other goals on FR I want to pursue too, and I don't want my entire FR experience to be dictated by festivals.

I also don't like the implication that people being unable to afford all the items they want within a single week's window is somehow due to poor financial management.
RNG and lootbox mechanics is clearly not the only way to get these things. Even extremely expensive skins that are old (usually also completely retired like 2014 skin Accent: Lightrunes is just under 900g right now) are available for exactly the price you see on the AH. People have been buying duplicates to resell later for ages. Even 2017 accent Accent: Snowsquall is 70g - a markup, but this is also a seven year old skin, or something.

I personally think that it's disingenuous to apply FOMO to something that will be available (which we can now say with as near to certainty as possible with how long the Spare Inventory Crate has been out due to past behavior), just at a higher price. It doesn't make sense to apply the Fear of Missing Out to the fear of having to pay more. This item will still be here. There are still ten of the 2016 Accent: Oxyacetylene Flames on the AH right now for about 300g. This skin is something like eight years old. Less popular ones as old are still 30-50g. I know from experience that old fest skins are pretty difficult to sell, so they aren't up very often. But there are literally hundreds and hundreds of copies out there sitting in hoards waiting to be sold because they just take months and months for someone to want them.

A 20% markup for an eight year old skin you've decided you want is not unreasonable. Wanting a change to future-proof oneself (that is, not wanting to pay an increased price, no matter how small, apparently) doesn't have an any-less-arbitrary stopping point than the one we're at currently. There is a certain amount of urgency that is required for a game like this to be successful.

And, no, I don't think anybody's saying the only reason one might have missed the skins in a festival is poor financial management. At least I never did. I've gone on vacation or the hospital or just got bored with the game, and I've missed many festivals. But is poor financial management sometimes the reason? Absolutely. It would be just as silly to say it's never the reason. And that's okay. It might very well be the reason for some people at some times. I do know that good financial management will alleviate some of the worry, though. For sure.

EDIT:
Not all of this is to you specifically (except the bit about financial management, which I don't remember anyone else seem to talk about as much, and I kinda mentioned it so I just went on, I guess?), I just thought you said it in the most concise manner.

Also, I object to the "don't buy it" suggestion being misconstrued as a "don't buy it ever." I'm pretty sure every suggestion to not buy it during the festival that brings up and of the myriad ways to obtain them later is saying do buy them. Just not right now. Why do we need to have everything right now.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
I now realize, increasing festival skin chest drops would also help alleviate this. Especially in digging. Most festivals I get 0 chests through digging for the entire fest.
I now realize, increasing festival skin chest drops would also help alleviate this. Especially in digging. Most festivals I get 0 chests through digging for the entire fest.
Username is s0ki with a zero (0) cZyClw0.png
I'm not the only one saying FOMO, so it clearly is something numerous players feel. And it does forever become a game of catch-up. It leads to resentment, feelings of futility, and burn-out.

Again, if I miss 2 skins at Saturnalia, then I have to scramble to buy those two skins plus the upcoming Greenskeeper skins. But if I couldn't save up for the Saturnalia skins in a month, I'm not going to be able to save up for the Greenskeeper skins plus the two I missed within the same time. Then I fall behind by 4 by Jubilee. Then six, eight, ten...it always keeps compounding. And that does not make fun festivals, which many players feel should be open for all and should be inclusive as it's often the only way players can get skins at all.

And as I've said, it makes little sense to me to say "hey, here's this pretty thing on FR. Don't get it."

If the purpose is to be a treasure sink, there are FAR better ways to introduce sinks that a one-week window, causing stress rather than enjoyment.

But as it is now, players discouraging other players from getting the items they want is starting to smell of elitism.
I'm not the only one saying FOMO, so it clearly is something numerous players feel. And it does forever become a game of catch-up. It leads to resentment, feelings of futility, and burn-out.

Again, if I miss 2 skins at Saturnalia, then I have to scramble to buy those two skins plus the upcoming Greenskeeper skins. But if I couldn't save up for the Saturnalia skins in a month, I'm not going to be able to save up for the Greenskeeper skins plus the two I missed within the same time. Then I fall behind by 4 by Jubilee. Then six, eight, ten...it always keeps compounding. And that does not make fun festivals, which many players feel should be open for all and should be inclusive as it's often the only way players can get skins at all.

And as I've said, it makes little sense to me to say "hey, here's this pretty thing on FR. Don't get it."

If the purpose is to be a treasure sink, there are FAR better ways to introduce sinks that a one-week window, causing stress rather than enjoyment.

But as it is now, players discouraging other players from getting the items they want is starting to smell of elitism.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
[center][quote name="gemajgall" date="2024-05-19 15:17:14" ]But as it is now, players discouraging other players from getting the items they want is starting to smell of elitism.[/quote] This. Especially when there's no real rationale provided for [i]why[/i] players should be discouraged. "You don't need them" is kind of a silly argument -- no one [i]needs[/i] digital dragon paper dolls either; we're here to have a good time.[/center]
gemajgall wrote on 2024-05-19 15:17:14:

This. Especially when there's no real rationale provided for why players should be discouraged. "You don't need them" is kind of a silly argument -- no one needs digital dragon paper dolls either; we're here to have a good time.
I totally typed out and was about to post a whole new thread saying this exact idea...only to realize someone else already had.
SUPER super support. Getting everything each fest has become kind of draining, but the potential opportunity cost of *not* grinding to get them all sucks even worse, so I've been putting up with it.
Lowering to 30kt (or ideally 25kt) would be a HUGE load off for players like me, and have next to no negative consequences on the people who don't care about fest skins. Please please pleaseeeeee

Having more in baldwin would also be nice! but I'm a bigger fan of lowering the prices. In a perfect world, we'd get both
I totally typed out and was about to post a whole new thread saying this exact idea...only to realize someone else already had.
SUPER super support. Getting everything each fest has become kind of draining, but the potential opportunity cost of *not* grinding to get them all sucks even worse, so I've been putting up with it.
Lowering to 30kt (or ideally 25kt) would be a HUGE load off for players like me, and have next to no negative consequences on the people who don't care about fest skins. Please please pleaseeeeee

Having more in baldwin would also be nice! but I'm a bigger fan of lowering the prices. In a perfect world, we'd get both
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Old Artblog
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Artfight
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Fandomstuck OCs
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Outdated Wishlist
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Fandragons
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif Credit!
|
|
|
|
@ me with a zero
not an o!
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16