Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [BSJ 2024] Cooking Contest (Vote/Judge)
Hi folks, announcing the grand opening of the Brightshine Chef Brigade! Thanks for checking us out, we look forward to the exciting entries this year. <3

@Sylvandyr's Festival Cooking Contest
Hi folks, announcing the grand opening of the Brightshine Chef Brigade! Thanks for checking us out, we look forward to the exciting entries this year. <3

@Sylvandyr's Festival Cooking Contest
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
I'm LOVING the theme challenge this year and already brainstorming up some ideas!
I'm LOVING the theme challenge this year and already brainstorming up some ideas!
tumblr_ntxrqoqrD01sk2f1lo1_500.png
[quote name="Eialyne" date="2024-06-16 06:58:05" ] I'm LOVING the theme challenge this year and already brainstorming up some ideas! [/quote] Yay, looking forward to seeing them! <3
Eialyne wrote on 2024-06-16 06:58:05:

Yay, looking forward to seeing them! <3
[b]Username:[/b] Roenais [b]Entry Title:[/b] Dottorice [b]Theme:[/b] So, the first time I ever cookied omurice was for [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2460180/6#post_33878785]a previous BSJ contest[/url], and since then it's become one of my comfort foods and regular meals. I wanted to see how far I've come, while also combining it with one of the other biggest facets of my life: cats! Specifically, the four cats I live with and love dearly. I wanted to do a rilakkuma omurice inspired meal, featuring all of my kitties, but I realised that would be far too much food for one meal, so I scaled it back to just Dotty, the only one I've personally helped raise from a kitten. I hope "my cat" isn't too much of a stretch for the theme! [b]Ingredients:[/b] Three eggs, half a cup of rice (roughly), a few drops of vinegar to help it stick, salt to taste, 5-6 drops of black food dye, an equal amount of soy sauce, a few strips cut from a sheet of nori, ketchup to finish. [b]Recipe:[/b] Cook rice, add vinegar and salt, and leave to cool slightly. Mix soy sauce and black food dye in a shallow dish. Seperate a small handfull of your rice and roll it into a ball using plastic wrap. Dip your rice ball in your dye/soy sauce mix, from two different angles to create the pattern of the cat's head. Mix the remaining sauce in with the remaining rice, and shape it into the cat's body and tail. Leave a few grains of rice to shape the ears. For the omlette, whisk eggs and fry on a low heat to retain the golden yellow color. A square pan would be ideal, but as I only had a round one, I settled for cutting the finished omlette. I'd also reccomend leaving this to fry as you work on shaping your rice. Finally, cut a strip off of your omlette and fold it into a pillow to go behind the cat's head, drape your omlette square over the cat's body, garnish with ketchup, and add tiny cuttings of nori for whiskers. [b]Results:[/b] [img]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/83630281_YSSmfNplKr86erV.jpg[/img] [b]Notes: [/b] The soy sauce and black food dye mix worked out much better than I expected! The dye has basically no flavor, so the extra salty kick was appreciated. I imagine you could just use the soy sauce if you wanted to do a more brown cat, or mix with ketchup for a ginger one. Finally, have a picture of the baby herself, for comparison. She's a very polite, quiet cat, and I almost feel bad eating something based on her! [img]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/83630230_anoIZBpJwne0Xje.png[/img]
Username: Roenais

Entry Title: Dottorice

Theme: So, the first time I ever cookied omurice was for a previous BSJ contest, and since then it's become one of my comfort foods and regular meals. I wanted to see how far I've come, while also combining it with one of the other biggest facets of my life: cats! Specifically, the four cats I live with and love dearly. I wanted to do a rilakkuma omurice inspired meal, featuring all of my kitties, but I realised that would be far too much food for one meal, so I scaled it back to just Dotty, the only one I've personally helped raise from a kitten. I hope "my cat" isn't too much of a stretch for the theme!

Ingredients: Three eggs, half a cup of rice (roughly), a few drops of vinegar to help it stick, salt to taste, 5-6 drops of black food dye, an equal amount of soy sauce, a few strips cut from a sheet of nori, ketchup to finish.

Recipe: Cook rice, add vinegar and salt, and leave to cool slightly. Mix soy sauce and black food dye in a shallow dish. Seperate a small handfull of your rice and roll it into a ball using plastic wrap. Dip your rice ball in your dye/soy sauce mix, from two different angles to create the pattern of the cat's head. Mix the remaining sauce in with the remaining rice, and shape it into the cat's body and tail. Leave a few grains of rice to shape the ears.

For the omlette, whisk eggs and fry on a low heat to retain the golden yellow color. A square pan would be ideal, but as I only had a round one, I settled for cutting the finished omlette. I'd also reccomend leaving this to fry as you work on shaping your rice.

Finally, cut a strip off of your omlette and fold it into a pillow to go behind the cat's head, drape your omlette square over the cat's body, garnish with ketchup, and add tiny cuttings of nori for whiskers.

Results:
83630281_YSSmfNplKr86erV.jpg

Notes: The soy sauce and black food dye mix worked out much better than I expected! The dye has basically no flavor, so the extra salty kick was appreciated. I imagine you could just use the soy sauce if you wanted to do a more brown cat, or mix with ketchup for a ginger one.

Finally, have a picture of the baby herself, for comparison. She's a very polite, quiet cat, and I almost feel bad eating something based on her!

83630230_anoIZBpJwne0Xje.png
@Roenais Thank you for submitting the first entry of the year! Oh my gosh, your kitty is precious, both the real one and the food representation. <3
@Roenais Thank you for submitting the first entry of the year! Oh my gosh, your kitty is precious, both the real one and the food representation. <3
@Sylvandyr thank you! i'm a little nervous being the first one, but someones gotta get this party started.
@Sylvandyr thank you! i'm a little nervous being the first one, but someones gotta get this party started.
This looks like a lot of fun. My entry will take some time to get submitted but I'm looking forward to it.

@Roenais you cat is seriously adorable.
This looks like a lot of fun. My entry will take some time to get submitted but I'm looking forward to it.

@Roenais you cat is seriously adorable.
tQ9IfMT.png Nature-Network.png game_db_link.png
small_message.png
@Roenais

Just wanted to say I was doing a quick scroll and immediately thought I was lookimg at a kitty under a blanket XD
@Roenais

Just wanted to say I was doing a quick scroll and immediately thought I was lookimg at a kitty under a blanket XD
tumblr_ntxrqoqrD01sk2f1lo1_500.png
[b]Username:[/b] icykeys [b]Entry Title:[/b] Chicken Katsu with Miso Glaze [b]Theme:[/b] My partner [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/clan-profile/148931]Polty[/url] and I live together and we made this together! It's one of our favorite recipes to make. Though neither of us are of Asian descent, we both have an interest in Japanese food that we share together! Personally, it's one of my special interests and therefore I consider it a facet of myself. ^^ I also like to bold steps in my recipes to be able to read faster without missing important info. I figured someone else might like that too so I included the bold text. [center][b]Miso Glaze Recipe[/b][/center] Ingredients: [indent]1/4 cup miso paste 2 tbsp tamari (soy sauce) 1 tbsp brown sugar 1 tbsp rice vinegar 1 tsp sesame oil Water[/indent] Preparation: [LIST=1] [*]Put everything in a small bowl and mix until smooth. [*]Water down to preferred thickness. [/LIST] [center][b]Chicken Katsu Recipe[/b][/center] Ingredients: [indent]2 chicken breasts or 4 chicken thighs 1 large egg 1 1/4 cups panko 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp white pepper 1/4 tsp onion powder 1/4 cup all-purpose flour Vegetable oil for frying 1 chopped green onion (optional) Toasted sesame seeds (optional)[/indent] Preparation: [LIST=1] [*]If you are using chicken breasts, [b]butterfly them[/b] by cutting them in half horizontally. If you are using thighs, trim any excess skin, fat, or gristle off of them. [*][b]Break one egg into a tray[/b] or shallow bowl that's large enough to hold one piece of chicken and beat it until uniform. Pour the panko into another tray. [*][b]Mix[/b] the salt, white pepper, and onion powder together and [b]sprinkle it evenly[/b] over every surface of the chicken. [*][b]Dust the seasoned chicken[/b] in a thin coating of flour. Be sure you don't miss any spots. [*][b]Dip the chicken into the egg[/b], making sure there is no dry flour left. [*][b]Place the chicken into the panko[/b] and cover with the breadcrumbs. Press gently on the crumbs to help them adhere to the chicken. Flip it over and repeat until every surface of the chicken is coated in an even layer of panko. [*][b]Heat 1 1/2 inches of oil [/b]in a large, heavy-bottomed pot until it reaches 340 degrees F (170 C). [b]Prepare a cooling rack[/b] lined with a few layers of paper towels. [*]When the oil has reached the desired temperature, lower the [b]chicken into the oil[/b]. [*][b]Flip[/b] the chicken over a few times to ensure it browns evenly. [*]Fry the chicken katsu for [b]6-8 minutes[/b], or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. You can check the temperature with an instant-read thermometer. Breast meat should register 155 degrees F, while thigh meat should reach 165 degrees F. [*][b]Transfer to the cooling rack[/b] and let the chicken rest for a few minutes before [b]slicing it[/b]. [*][b]Top with miso glaze[/b] and optionally [b]garnish[/b] with chopped green onion and/or toasted sesame seeds.[/LIST] Notes: [indent]This is a recipe we adapted from a katsudon recipe and it's fairly easy to make! I highly recommend trying it!! I also highly recommend serving it on a bed of rice with a folded scrambled egg on top of the rice. I also like to use liquid aminos instead of soy sauce on the remaining rice because I just like the flavor more. ;P Polty prefers the soy sauce though. [size=2](This time we didn't have any green onion on hand but oh well.)[/size][/indent] [img]https://i.imgur.com/CB5eJFH.jpeg[/img]
Username: icykeys

Entry Title: Chicken Katsu with Miso Glaze

Theme: My partner Polty and I live together and we made this together! It's one of our favorite recipes to make. Though neither of us are of Asian descent, we both have an interest in Japanese food that we share together! Personally, it's one of my special interests and therefore I consider it a facet of myself. ^^

I also like to bold steps in my recipes to be able to read faster without missing important info. I figured someone else might like that too so I included the bold text.

Miso Glaze Recipe

Ingredients:
1/4 cup miso paste
2 tbsp tamari (soy sauce)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
Water

Preparation:
  1. Put everything in a small bowl and mix until smooth.
  2. Water down to preferred thickness.

Chicken Katsu Recipe

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts or 4 chicken thighs
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups panko
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil for frying
1 chopped green onion (optional)
Toasted sesame seeds (optional)

Preparation:
  1. If you are using chicken breasts, butterfly them by cutting them in half horizontally. If you are using thighs, trim any excess skin, fat, or gristle off of them.
  2. Break one egg into a tray or shallow bowl that's large enough to hold one piece of chicken and beat it until uniform. Pour the panko into another tray.
  3. Mix the salt, white pepper, and onion powder together and sprinkle it evenly over every surface of the chicken.
  4. Dust the seasoned chicken in a thin coating of flour. Be sure you don't miss any spots.
  5. Dip the chicken into the egg, making sure there is no dry flour left.
  6. Place the chicken into the panko and cover with the breadcrumbs. Press gently on the crumbs to help them adhere to the chicken. Flip it over and repeat until every surface of the chicken is coated in an even layer of panko.
  7. Heat 1 1/2 inches of oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot until it reaches 340 degrees F (170 C). Prepare a cooling rack lined with a few layers of paper towels.
  8. When the oil has reached the desired temperature, lower the chicken into the oil.
  9. Flip the chicken over a few times to ensure it browns evenly.
  10. Fry the chicken katsu for 6-8 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. You can check the temperature with an instant-read thermometer. Breast meat should register 155 degrees F, while thigh meat should reach 165 degrees F.
  11. Transfer to the cooling rack and let the chicken rest for a few minutes before slicing it.
  12. Top with miso glaze and optionally garnish with chopped green onion and/or toasted sesame seeds.

Notes:
This is a recipe we adapted from a katsudon recipe and it's fairly easy to make! I highly recommend trying it!! I also highly recommend serving it on a bed of rice with a folded scrambled egg on top of the rice. I also like to use liquid aminos instead of soy sauce on the remaining rice because I just like the flavor more. ;P Polty prefers the soy sauce though. (This time we didn't have any green onion on hand but oh well.)

CB5eJFH.jpeg
icy's art shop
icy's adoptable shop
FrostLeaf Hatchery
Mmmm... I haven’t tried it with egg on rice. I usually add carrots but that looks good!
C41-B82-D4-74-CF-41-F7-82-B0-DDEF5-B909503.gif