Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [RESULTS] What's your gender?
@Cassolotl
Please ping me too with the results - I'd love to know more about how people of this community see themselves :)
@Cassolotl
Please ping me too with the results - I'd love to know more about how people of this community see themselves :)
Header.png
@Odeena No problem, I'll add you to the list now. :)
@Odeena No problem, I'll add you to the list now. :)
dNCLmdm.png
UK; sleeping 4pm-2am FRT // Pronouns: they/them // Feedback
~
Signature generator // Calendar of flight festivals until Sept 2019

RESULTS TIME!

@Kyrtian @akasafeword @WatchKeyPhone @Magnolia @thesynthlord @Rohan @thedarkfiddler @tilukonfdz @AcidStar @zanven @Eshonai @Foxofwonders @Ventous @Deerferns @LumpyPotatoes @lysaara @lizardpuke @heckhund @spaceoodity @haisesasaki @squidnt @Th13teen @Lillielle @Wrenten @peperoniebabie @GyroZeppeli @scarsula @marcobane @Odeena

RESULTS TIME!

@Kyrtian @akasafeword @WatchKeyPhone @Magnolia @thesynthlord @Rohan @thedarkfiddler @tilukonfdz @AcidStar @zanven @Eshonai @Foxofwonders @Ventous @Deerferns @LumpyPotatoes @lysaara @lizardpuke @heckhund @spaceoodity @haisesasaki @squidnt @Th13teen @Lillielle @Wrenten @peperoniebabie @GyroZeppeli @scarsula @marcobane @Odeena
dNCLmdm.png
UK; sleeping 4pm-2am FRT // Pronouns: they/them // Feedback
~
Signature generator // Calendar of flight festivals until Sept 2019
There's more non-binaries than males?

I'm a minority here :o

ping PARLAH not pariah.
Yeah, I did not know about pinging before I made my 'clever' username.
Nifty! Thanks for pinging me & doing this interesting survey! :D
Nifty! Thanks for pinging me & doing this interesting survey! :D
Ahh, thanks for running the survey! Very interesting results :D
Ahh, thanks for running the survey! Very interesting results :D
Thanks for all the work put into this! The data's really interesting, and I'm excited to see more. Super cool that there's a pretty sizeable nb community here on FR
Thanks for all the work put into this! The data's really interesting, and I'm excited to see more. Super cool that there's a pretty sizeable nb community here on FR
352.1xOrd.squidnt_zps5n9cvqu0.png
[quote name="PARlAH" date="2014-10-27 13:21:00"]There's more non-binaries than males? I'm a minority here :o[/quote] The obvious question now is WHY is there such an abnormally large non-binary representation in Flight Rising?
PARlAH wrote on 2014-10-27 13:21:00:

The obvious question now is WHY is there such an abnormally large non-binary representation in Flight Rising?
@Cassolotl Whoops I totally meant to reply yesterday with my opinion on waiting for more results or not. I was just going to basically say I was fine with it either way, though.

Anyway, 26%!! I know it's probably pretty biased, but that's still so cool. Especially since we're ahead of male-identifying people - so much for the gender binary! Plus, biased or not, it still shows 84 non-binary people hanging around in the forums, so, hi 83 other non-binary people! :o

@thedarkfiddler I've been thinking it's because Flight Rising seems to mostly get shared around social justice-y parts of Tumblr. That's where everyone seems to come from. Also personally I joined because I knew there were a ton of non-binary people from looking at the forums - I assume people also go around telling others about that? So once there are a certain number of non-binary people I think it just keeps spreading.
@Cassolotl Whoops I totally meant to reply yesterday with my opinion on waiting for more results or not. I was just going to basically say I was fine with it either way, though.

Anyway, 26%!! I know it's probably pretty biased, but that's still so cool. Especially since we're ahead of male-identifying people - so much for the gender binary! Plus, biased or not, it still shows 84 non-binary people hanging around in the forums, so, hi 83 other non-binary people! :o

@thedarkfiddler I've been thinking it's because Flight Rising seems to mostly get shared around social justice-y parts of Tumblr. That's where everyone seems to come from. Also personally I joined because I knew there were a ton of non-binary people from looking at the forums - I assume people also go around telling others about that? So once there are a certain number of non-binary people I think it just keeps spreading.
kiroshen.png He/his/him. FR time +1. 332paxj.jpg
[quote name="PARlAH" date="2014-10-27 13:21:00"]There's more non-binaries than males? I'm a minority here :o[/quote] my thoughts exactly however, as i am currently enrolled in an ap statistics class in high school, i feel more than qualified to analyze this data (sarcasm, but im doing it anyway) perhaps the results showing a surprising number of nonbinary people can be attributed to the manner in which the survey was conducted--that is, having the participants come by their own choice to participate in the survey created what is called [i]voluntary results bias[/i]. an example of voluntary results bias may be in certain political issues; if you open a question to the general public to answer if they like, you will generally recieve only those who feel very strongly about their cause. those with a more moderate view might choose to not respond as they are not as invested. i believe a similar thing may have happened here. as the nonbinary community exists mostly on the internet (america is just about coming around to permitting gay marriages, trans people are only beginning to come into the public spotlight--we're a long way from large scale knowledge of alternative genders). because of the marginalization and general ignorance of nonbinary identities, nonbinary people may feel more inclined to make sure that they are represented in a survey involving gender as opposed to binary people. im cis so im interested to see if any nonbinary people had this line of thinking when deciding to click on the thread to participate in the survey (( just my little onion on the matter ))
PARlAH wrote on 2014-10-27 13:21:00:

my thoughts exactly

however, as i am currently enrolled in an ap statistics class in high school, i feel more than qualified to analyze this data (sarcasm, but im doing it anyway)

perhaps the results showing a surprising number of nonbinary people can be attributed to the manner in which the survey was conducted--that is, having the participants come by their own choice to participate in the survey created what is called voluntary results bias. an example of voluntary results bias may be in certain political issues; if you open a question to the general public to answer if they like, you will generally recieve only those who feel very strongly about their cause. those with a more moderate view might choose to not respond as they are not as invested.

i believe a similar thing may have happened here. as the nonbinary community exists mostly on the internet (america is just about coming around to permitting gay marriages, trans people are only beginning to come into the public spotlight--we're a long way from large scale knowledge of alternative genders). because of the marginalization and general ignorance of nonbinary identities, nonbinary people may feel more inclined to make sure that they are represented in a survey involving gender as opposed to binary people.

im cis so im interested to see if any nonbinary people had this line of thinking when deciding to click on the thread to participate in the survey

(( just my little onion on the matter ))