Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Another suggestion for content warnings
Look, staff, I dunno, I know content warnings on certain items is extremely complex and kind of a disaster and people have made this thread a thousand times, but you could possibly replace the dragon image with a "This contains an item or gene on your blocked list: [item/gene]! Do you want to see it anyways?" That way you don't have to do some kind of thing with removing the item or gene from the dragon, or maintaining a staff-made blocklist of certain genes, you can just have people check them off from the item database or whatever? Look man I dunno I just have emetophobia and volcanic maw tripped it even though it's just lava so I would sure like to be able to browse the site. This is a pretty niche and admittedly weird version of this ask so it would be nice to just check a specific thing rather than, like, have a list of spiders, but maybe you could have a curated list of that too, go for it, live the dream. I dunno just there's ways to do it.
Look, staff, I dunno, I know content warnings on certain items is extremely complex and kind of a disaster and people have made this thread a thousand times, but you could possibly replace the dragon image with a "This contains an item or gene on your blocked list: [item/gene]! Do you want to see it anyways?"

That way you don't have to do some kind of thing with removing the item or gene from the dragon, or maintaining a staff-made blocklist of certain genes, you can just have people check them off from the item database or whatever?

Look man I dunno I just have emetophobia and volcanic maw tripped it even though it's just lava so I would sure like to be able to browse the site. This is a pretty niche and admittedly weird version of this ask so it would be nice to just check a specific thing rather than, like, have a list of spiders, but maybe you could have a curated list of that too, go for it, live the dream. I dunno just there's ways to do it.
L7VN20N.png sh5xjiu.png
GFeO9bR.png
oczO35g.png
YMPbu9R.png
TL;DR solutions:
- Let users make a warning notice for their lairs/posts before entering them (e.g. "Hi! My lair contains: depictions of body horror, eyestrain")

- Add ability to spoil images/widgets on forums

- Add 'block by ID' item blocklist/gene checklist that shows a warning before continuing to a dragon's page (if they have the apparel or gene)

- Add a user-based tag system for skins (many eyes, monster, ocean, mountain, lava). People could block tags they didn't want and everyone could benefit from an easier way to search for skins than colour.

(Start of original post): Hm, I see. I see a couple of ways of implementing this, though I see a fair few roadblocks too.

If users block their own items based on ID/genes in the game database, you'd probably have to see any item and realise it's triggering before blocking it. I think this'd work well for apparel and with avoiding genes and common skins/accents. After blocking it, maybe it could give you a warning window before previewing the apparel/skin or following the link to a dragon. I don't think this'd be able to filter out small dragon images in lairs, though, or widgets in forums, due to them just displaying a png of the dragon rather than actually containing the code of each on the page (to my understanding).

If it becomes a user-made tag system (users adding tags to their own skins which you can then have filtered tags for), some tags would slip through the cracks and the whole process would be difficult to code, being another big update to the skins system. I don't think it'd work for apparel either. However, I actually do like this idea, even aside from content warnings, a tag-based search through skins could be helpful for people trying to find different themes of skin for their dragons. Staff could approve tags along with the skin submission to make sure they were appropriate. Though once again I don't think this'd work on widgets or small lair icons. It's also kind of tangential since people probably wouldn't tag Volcanic Maw with anything emetic, so this'd be more for people who don't like spiders, eyes, body horror, etc.

This might be a solution though: user-created spoilers, for lairs, forum posts and images. The lair/posts would be similar to how the toyhouse system works. Basically, when visiting a lair or forum post, let people set some personalised warning about what it may contain before continuing through to it. Spoilering images would be similar to Discord, you click to reveal images and can read the caption for why it's spoilered. I also like this idea, people have been asking for the ability to spoiler images for a while. The downsides are that it relies on other people. For your specific case, this would still probably have images that trip your emetophobia because people might not necessarily consider it when creating their lairs/posts.

I really want the site to be as accessible as possible for everyone to have the best time during it, and it's good that it currently caters to some common issues like gore. It's worth suggesting something like this, but it'd probably be tough to implement. I think the most effective measure would be some mix of all 3 solutions provided, though they'd probably be a big undertaking for the staff.

Support for a better ability to limit people's exposures to content they don't want to see on-site, it could just use some workshopping. Very open to feedback on these ideas.
TL;DR solutions:
- Let users make a warning notice for their lairs/posts before entering them (e.g. "Hi! My lair contains: depictions of body horror, eyestrain")

- Add ability to spoil images/widgets on forums

- Add 'block by ID' item blocklist/gene checklist that shows a warning before continuing to a dragon's page (if they have the apparel or gene)

- Add a user-based tag system for skins (many eyes, monster, ocean, mountain, lava). People could block tags they didn't want and everyone could benefit from an easier way to search for skins than colour.

(Start of original post): Hm, I see. I see a couple of ways of implementing this, though I see a fair few roadblocks too.

If users block their own items based on ID/genes in the game database, you'd probably have to see any item and realise it's triggering before blocking it. I think this'd work well for apparel and with avoiding genes and common skins/accents. After blocking it, maybe it could give you a warning window before previewing the apparel/skin or following the link to a dragon. I don't think this'd be able to filter out small dragon images in lairs, though, or widgets in forums, due to them just displaying a png of the dragon rather than actually containing the code of each on the page (to my understanding).

If it becomes a user-made tag system (users adding tags to their own skins which you can then have filtered tags for), some tags would slip through the cracks and the whole process would be difficult to code, being another big update to the skins system. I don't think it'd work for apparel either. However, I actually do like this idea, even aside from content warnings, a tag-based search through skins could be helpful for people trying to find different themes of skin for their dragons. Staff could approve tags along with the skin submission to make sure they were appropriate. Though once again I don't think this'd work on widgets or small lair icons. It's also kind of tangential since people probably wouldn't tag Volcanic Maw with anything emetic, so this'd be more for people who don't like spiders, eyes, body horror, etc.

This might be a solution though: user-created spoilers, for lairs, forum posts and images. The lair/posts would be similar to how the toyhouse system works. Basically, when visiting a lair or forum post, let people set some personalised warning about what it may contain before continuing through to it. Spoilering images would be similar to Discord, you click to reveal images and can read the caption for why it's spoilered. I also like this idea, people have been asking for the ability to spoiler images for a while. The downsides are that it relies on other people. For your specific case, this would still probably have images that trip your emetophobia because people might not necessarily consider it when creating their lairs/posts.

I really want the site to be as accessible as possible for everyone to have the best time during it, and it's good that it currently caters to some common issues like gore. It's worth suggesting something like this, but it'd probably be tough to implement. I think the most effective measure would be some mix of all 3 solutions provided, though they'd probably be a big undertaking for the staff.

Support for a better ability to limit people's exposures to content they don't want to see on-site, it could just use some workshopping. Very open to feedback on these ideas.
Partial support?

I don't support any type of staff-given or "community-given" flags, they should be fully personal, ie a player has to block something personally:
- by default everything should be "good" and fit the rules, so staff themselves shouldn't add any flags as that automatically in a way would label something "doesn't break the rules but, y'know, not as good" .
- if community is given the power to label something in a way, it brings two problems with it: for one, community label might not fit what a specific person believes or needs, for second, it brings possibility of harassment or "minority rule" wherein a sizeable group of people could force a label on something/someone just because they will be screaming louder than others.

Separate third reason is my experience with AO3's "choose not use warnings/enter at your own risk" vs "no warnings/"safe"" - a lot of people seem to have trouble separating the two, so if there are pre-made tags or flags or categories, old items, old lairs and the like will likely be untagged due to sheer numbers and might create a false sense of safety.
Partial support?

I don't support any type of staff-given or "community-given" flags, they should be fully personal, ie a player has to block something personally:
- by default everything should be "good" and fit the rules, so staff themselves shouldn't add any flags as that automatically in a way would label something "doesn't break the rules but, y'know, not as good" .
- if community is given the power to label something in a way, it brings two problems with it: for one, community label might not fit what a specific person believes or needs, for second, it brings possibility of harassment or "minority rule" wherein a sizeable group of people could force a label on something/someone just because they will be screaming louder than others.

Separate third reason is my experience with AO3's "choose not use warnings/enter at your own risk" vs "no warnings/"safe"" - a lot of people seem to have trouble separating the two, so if there are pre-made tags or flags or categories, old items, old lairs and the like will likely be untagged due to sheer numbers and might create a false sense of safety.
JQQ3Fjt.png
@/Redwillia - Honestly I wasn't going to add the bit with the curated lists because of that concern but I figured a curated list of things that are spiders (as the example) was harmless enough. I don't think there should be curated lists for everything, genuinely just if it's simple enough to do it's a big maybe. Like. That's not really something I'm hugely interested in, I mainly included it because I see it suggested a lot and I was just kind of... sure? But yeah agreed.

@/Jay250 - helppp i forgot widgets. I'm not sure how to include those, myself.
I actually thought that fliri forums had spoilers, very curious as to what I was thinking of. It would absolutely require people to know what to spoil for but it would be nice.
@/Redwillia - Honestly I wasn't going to add the bit with the curated lists because of that concern but I figured a curated list of things that are spiders (as the example) was harmless enough. I don't think there should be curated lists for everything, genuinely just if it's simple enough to do it's a big maybe. Like. That's not really something I'm hugely interested in, I mainly included it because I see it suggested a lot and I was just kind of... sure? But yeah agreed.

@/Jay250 - helppp i forgot widgets. I'm not sure how to include those, myself.
I actually thought that fliri forums had spoilers, very curious as to what I was thinking of. It would absolutely require people to know what to spoil for but it would be nice.
L7VN20N.png sh5xjiu.png
GFeO9bR.png
oczO35g.png
YMPbu9R.png
I’ve been advocating for a user-curated block list, where users can filter out any items/genes/etc they add to it
I’ve been advocating for a user-curated block list, where users can filter out any items/genes/etc they add to it
Skin: Lite Sprite
@/Aviary, they do have spoilers, but only for blocks of text at the moment. They can only be revealed by highlighting text. Like this. My thinking for forum posts would be a warning page before even entering the post. Like under topic "Show me your eyeburners!", if you click on the post, it might spring up with "This post contains lots of eyestrain so be careful if you're sensitive" before immediately opening the page. That way, widgets wouldn't need to be considered because you wouldn't even see the widgets. Something like the 'external site' warnings the site has.
@/Aviary, they do have spoilers, but only for blocks of text at the moment. They can only be revealed by highlighting text. Like this. My thinking for forum posts would be a warning page before even entering the post. Like under topic "Show me your eyeburners!", if you click on the post, it might spring up with "This post contains lots of eyestrain so be careful if you're sensitive" before immediately opening the page. That way, widgets wouldn't need to be considered because you wouldn't even see the widgets. Something like the 'external site' warnings the site has.
I have long wanted something like this, and I think the easiest would simply be to allow users to blacklist items by item ID (which would include genes, eyes and/or breeds, since they are identified by an ID internally)

As for tags, I wouldn't mind a tagging system, but I feel that it should NOT be user created.

Going back to the Ao3 example, there are many times people simply have not warned for things, the tag system is a hot mess, with people using things like 'X character' which isn't caught by the tags for X, and similar things.

Then there is the issue with spelling and synonyms. Fiery and Firey would probably be used for the same type of item, but only one would be caught with a tag, even with partial search allowed, with 'Fire'.

Then there is lava, magma, volcano, volcanic, fire, flame, fiery, smoke, ash, and probably a ton more synonyms that my brain just isn't telling me (too early) that people could use for similar skins (and this is without going into people using non-english words for the tags or some further examples of Ao3 tags that have absolutely nothing to do with the work, but is just the author basically rambling in the tag system)

So, in the end, a user run tag system would be practically useless for the purpose of helping people look for or avoid certain things.

I do think a blend of 'staff creates tags' and 'users can suggest those tags for site artwork' might work, along with having a staff member (or two) whose job is to make sure that items are both tagged and tagged correctly.

I would also agree to users being able to submit suggestions for tags, so if the staff missed something, like say they have something like a steampunk tag, but they missed a different tag that people think would be both relevant and useful, users could suggest that and staff could add it to the list of tags that can be used.
I have long wanted something like this, and I think the easiest would simply be to allow users to blacklist items by item ID (which would include genes, eyes and/or breeds, since they are identified by an ID internally)

As for tags, I wouldn't mind a tagging system, but I feel that it should NOT be user created.

Going back to the Ao3 example, there are many times people simply have not warned for things, the tag system is a hot mess, with people using things like 'X character' which isn't caught by the tags for X, and similar things.

Then there is the issue with spelling and synonyms. Fiery and Firey would probably be used for the same type of item, but only one would be caught with a tag, even with partial search allowed, with 'Fire'.

Then there is lava, magma, volcano, volcanic, fire, flame, fiery, smoke, ash, and probably a ton more synonyms that my brain just isn't telling me (too early) that people could use for similar skins (and this is without going into people using non-english words for the tags or some further examples of Ao3 tags that have absolutely nothing to do with the work, but is just the author basically rambling in the tag system)

So, in the end, a user run tag system would be practically useless for the purpose of helping people look for or avoid certain things.

I do think a blend of 'staff creates tags' and 'users can suggest those tags for site artwork' might work, along with having a staff member (or two) whose job is to make sure that items are both tagged and tagged correctly.

I would also agree to users being able to submit suggestions for tags, so if the staff missed something, like say they have something like a steampunk tag, but they missed a different tag that people think would be both relevant and useful, users could suggest that and staff could add it to the list of tags that can be used.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
I have always supported some type of on-site blocking system. With how dragon images are created, it's impossible for someone to block all of...say, primal plague eyes...without finding each and every primal plague eyed dragon and blocking that image. But if users could select plague primal from a list, and then every dragon with those eyes is generated obscured/with common eyes/whatever, that'd help so many people.

I want item tags too for the same reason, but I think the list should be staff created with user suggestions. Because otherwise, someone has to try to select every possible spelling and misspelling to avoid, example, spiders: spider, spiders, spidery, spders, spyders, arachnid, arachnophobia, fear of spider, fear of spiders, tarantula etc etc etc.

I know it'd be a lot of work, but I feel FR could truly benefit from this. Not only in helping people with triggers, squicks, and phobias, but also in allowing more representation and for plague to finally have their aesthetic and to be more inclusive etc.
I have always supported some type of on-site blocking system. With how dragon images are created, it's impossible for someone to block all of...say, primal plague eyes...without finding each and every primal plague eyed dragon and blocking that image. But if users could select plague primal from a list, and then every dragon with those eyes is generated obscured/with common eyes/whatever, that'd help so many people.

I want item tags too for the same reason, but I think the list should be staff created with user suggestions. Because otherwise, someone has to try to select every possible spelling and misspelling to avoid, example, spiders: spider, spiders, spidery, spders, spyders, arachnid, arachnophobia, fear of spider, fear of spiders, tarantula etc etc etc.

I know it'd be a lot of work, but I feel FR could truly benefit from this. Not only in helping people with triggers, squicks, and phobias, but also in allowing more representation and for plague to finally have their aesthetic and to be more inclusive etc.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
Phobias, triggers and other discomforts around specific topics are something an individual has to live with. It's not up to other people to accomodate to every individual, as the sheer variety of things one can be scared of is impossible to quantify. It is not the dev's responsability to tackle the individual users' blocklists and this includes implementing a personalized tagging system.

This website is already extremely tame in its content, with last year having brought and even higher bar for censorship, allowing it to remain "family friendly" to a frankly hardcore degree, making it near impossible to encounter real-life, realistic, deeply shocking content depicted (I am not counting usermade artwork, which the devs can moderate but NOT decide.). The sort of content which is not already under the website's terms is all ages, safe for work, and depicted in a stylized, cartoony art style.

Before I inevitably get jumped: I do, indeed, have a phobia so intense there are items in this game that trigger it. I live with it the same way I live with real life encounters which trigger my phobia.

If you suffer from mental health issues which make playing this game genuinely unbearable despite the nature of what it depicts, I'm sorry but it's not up to the developpers to code something to remedy to it, it's something you need to seek professionel help for, or stop playing this game for.

No support.
Phobias, triggers and other discomforts around specific topics are something an individual has to live with. It's not up to other people to accomodate to every individual, as the sheer variety of things one can be scared of is impossible to quantify. It is not the dev's responsability to tackle the individual users' blocklists and this includes implementing a personalized tagging system.

This website is already extremely tame in its content, with last year having brought and even higher bar for censorship, allowing it to remain "family friendly" to a frankly hardcore degree, making it near impossible to encounter real-life, realistic, deeply shocking content depicted (I am not counting usermade artwork, which the devs can moderate but NOT decide.). The sort of content which is not already under the website's terms is all ages, safe for work, and depicted in a stylized, cartoony art style.

Before I inevitably get jumped: I do, indeed, have a phobia so intense there are items in this game that trigger it. I live with it the same way I live with real life encounters which trigger my phobia.

If you suffer from mental health issues which make playing this game genuinely unbearable despite the nature of what it depicts, I'm sorry but it's not up to the developpers to code something to remedy to it, it's something you need to seek professionel help for, or stop playing this game for.

No support.
RfKIDIZ.png
zbfZPyc.pngSehti-1.png my skin shop
outfit gallery
wishlist
lair quest!
while I'm in the "sites can't accommodate for everyone so why bother" boat I also want to say that block by ID is probably your best bet.
I have issues with a certain breed's eyes being on the middle of the forehead but I also have a couple dragons with this same thing. my particular instance is difficult because I like the breed and most eyes on it are the thing I cant handle. so what so I do? I put up with it basically. there's nothing I can do about it.

doesn't mean people should put up with it just because I have to though so yeah support.
while I'm in the "sites can't accommodate for everyone so why bother" boat I also want to say that block by ID is probably your best bet.
I have issues with a certain breed's eyes being on the middle of the forehead but I also have a couple dragons with this same thing. my particular instance is difficult because I like the breed and most eyes on it are the thing I cant handle. so what so I do? I put up with it basically. there's nothing I can do about it.

doesn't mean people should put up with it just because I have to though so yeah support.
oouioVf.png