Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [BSJ 2024] Cooking Contest (Vote/Judge)
1 2 3 4 5 6
@Irithyll Glad you could make it, thanks for entering! :) I've updated the link + title for your entry.
@Irithyll Glad you could make it, thanks for entering! :) I've updated the link + title for your entry.
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
Hi folks, it's the last day of the contest! For anyone who's still planning to enter, you still have until 23:59:59 today. :)

I want to let people know what to expect over the next few days.
  1. Tomorrow, Sunday the 30th, I'll be drawing Raffle winners. I will also be pinging people to vote for their favorite entry for the winner of the Popular Vote. (Voters will have at least 72 hours to vote, with an extra grace period if judging takes longer.)
  2. Judges will review and score the entries over the next few days, and the Contest Winners will be announced after judging is complete. The results of the Popular Vote will be announced at the same time!

If you've already entered the contest or donated to the Lumisnax Pot, you're eligible to claim the sandwich accessory for Mem's Emperorz! adoptables.

If you haven't done either one yet, today's the last day to do so.

Thanks everyone, I hope you had a wonderful Brightshine Jubilee! <3 Don't forget to turn in your Festive Favors tokens if you've been planning to do that!

@Sylvandyr's Festival Cooking Contest
Hi folks, it's the last day of the contest! For anyone who's still planning to enter, you still have until 23:59:59 today. :)

I want to let people know what to expect over the next few days.
  1. Tomorrow, Sunday the 30th, I'll be drawing Raffle winners. I will also be pinging people to vote for their favorite entry for the winner of the Popular Vote. (Voters will have at least 72 hours to vote, with an extra grace period if judging takes longer.)
  2. Judges will review and score the entries over the next few days, and the Contest Winners will be announced after judging is complete. The results of the Popular Vote will be announced at the same time!

If you've already entered the contest or donated to the Lumisnax Pot, you're eligible to claim the sandwich accessory for Mem's Emperorz! adoptables.

If you haven't done either one yet, today's the last day to do so.

Thanks everyone, I hope you had a wonderful Brightshine Jubilee! <3 Don't forget to turn in your Festive Favors tokens if you've been planning to do that!

@Sylvandyr's Festival Cooking Contest
[b]Username:[/b] SolarCABLU [img]https://i.postimg.cc/hjRXs4sg/yum.png[/img] [b]Entry Title:[/b] Apple Pie Sandwiches (I couldn't find the translation in English, but in Romanian they are called Cornulete cu mere [emoji=imperial tongue size=1]) [b]Theme:[/b] The "facets" theme made me think for a while, since I don't necessarily know what would represent me, but I decided to take a piece of my childhood and bring it back to life. When I was a kid, I used to stay a lot at my grandmother's house. She enjoyed cooking, and sometimes made apple pie- though, as a picky eater, I didn't really eat much of it. So she turned said pie into smaller, croissant-like pastries that were much more appetizing to younger me. Fortunately, grandma's still close by, and she decided to give me her recipe so I could make these apple pie sandwiches! They turned out delicious, and kept me going while coli-ing. [b]Also, a quick note-[/b] said recipe is more of a "add until it looks good" and "we don't use grams or anything because random stuff found on the countertop is much faster" kind of recipe, but I tried my best to translate it into a conventional recipe. If stuff doesn't look right, feel free to add more of an ingredient than noted. Another note- English is not my first language, and I might struggle at some words. Please don't mind if some of them are out of place or don't suit the context [emoji=pearlcatcher sad size=1] [b]Ingredients:[/b] 1. For the dough: [LIST] [*] 1 glass of water (~200ml) [*] "until the dough can be kneaded without it being very sticky" amount of flour [*] 2-3 small spoons of oil of any kind or 4-5 spoons of butter (as long as it's runny enough to be easily incorporated into the dough it should be fine) [*] 5g of baking powder [/LIST] 2. For the apple filling: [LIST] [*] 5 medium apples [*] 50-ish grams of sugar (amount depends on whether you want it sweeter or not) [*] Cinnamon (put as you prefer) [/LIST] [b]Recipe itself:[/b] 1. First we need to start with the apples. Wash them really well, cut their peel off, and grate them through a cheese greater. Put the grated apples into a saucepan and add in the sugar and cinnamon. Mix it well. Let it boil on low-medium heat until it gets a brownish color and smells amazing. Put it aside. 2. In a bowl, put your baking soda, water and butter. Add in with one spoon at a time the flour and manually mix it. Add flour until you can somewhat knead the dough, then start kneading it. Occasionally add flour if you feel like it is too sticky. 3. On the table put some flour and take out your paddle (thick stick that you use to roll out the dough) and roll the dough into a rectangular shape. Make it as thin as you can- ~0.5cm thickness should be enough, though you can make it even thinner. 4. Cut the rectangle into squares that have sides of relatively 7cms. This though is up to preference, you can make them as big as small as you'd like. 5. Take out the apple filling and place some onto the squares diagonally. Take a corner that doesn't have filling in it and fold it over the filling, [url=https://i.postimg.cc/j5k19Rq4/aaaaaaa.png]like this[/url]. Roll them on their back, then make them croissant-shaped. 6. Place them on a tray that has a baking sheet on it. Place them in the oven at 200 Celsius for 30 minutes. 7. Take them out, wait for them to cool down a bit, and enjoy! (careful not to burn your tongue though, they might seem like they're at room temp even though they are still boiling hot!) Also, here's an extra photo. While they are pretty tasty with powdered sugar on them, I prefer them without it- the sugar does hide the taste of the apples a bit too much for my liking :,) [img]https://i.postimg.cc/QM2TzJX2/image-2024-06-29-100153148.png[/img]
Username: SolarCABLU

yum.png

Entry Title: Apple Pie Sandwiches (I couldn't find the translation in English, but in Romanian they are called Cornulete cu mere )
Theme: The "facets" theme made me think for a while, since I don't necessarily know what would represent me, but I decided to take a piece of my childhood and bring it back to life. When I was a kid, I used to stay a lot at my grandmother's house. She enjoyed cooking, and sometimes made apple pie- though, as a picky eater, I didn't really eat much of it. So she turned said pie into smaller, croissant-like pastries that were much more appetizing to younger me.

Fortunately, grandma's still close by, and she decided to give me her recipe so I could make these apple pie sandwiches! They turned out delicious, and kept me going while coli-ing. Also, a quick note- said recipe is more of a "add until it looks good" and "we don't use grams or anything because random stuff found on the countertop is much faster" kind of recipe, but I tried my best to translate it into a conventional recipe. If stuff doesn't look right, feel free to add more of an ingredient than noted. Another note- English is not my first language, and I might struggle at some words. Please don't mind if some of them are out of place or don't suit the context

Ingredients:
1. For the dough:
  • 1 glass of water (~200ml)
  • "until the dough can be kneaded without it being very sticky" amount of flour
  • 2-3 small spoons of oil of any kind or 4-5 spoons of butter (as long as it's runny enough to be easily incorporated into the dough it should be fine)
  • 5g of baking powder
2. For the apple filling:
  • 5 medium apples
  • 50-ish grams of sugar (amount depends on whether you want it sweeter or not)
  • Cinnamon (put as you prefer)

Recipe itself:

1. First we need to start with the apples. Wash them really well, cut their peel off, and grate them through a cheese greater. Put the grated apples into a saucepan and add in the sugar and cinnamon. Mix it well. Let it boil on low-medium heat until it gets a brownish color and smells amazing. Put it aside.
2. In a bowl, put your baking soda, water and butter. Add in with one spoon at a time the flour and manually mix it. Add flour until you can somewhat knead the dough, then start kneading it. Occasionally add flour if you feel like it is too sticky.
3. On the table put some flour and take out your paddle (thick stick that you use to roll out the dough) and roll the dough into a rectangular shape. Make it as thin as you can- ~0.5cm thickness should be enough, though you can make it even thinner.
4. Cut the rectangle into squares that have sides of relatively 7cms. This though is up to preference, you can make them as big as small as you'd like.
5. Take out the apple filling and place some onto the squares diagonally. Take a corner that doesn't have filling in it and fold it over the filling, like this. Roll them on their back, then make them croissant-shaped.
6. Place them on a tray that has a baking sheet on it. Place them in the oven at 200 Celsius for 30 minutes.
7. Take them out, wait for them to cool down a bit, and enjoy! (careful not to burn your tongue though, they might seem like they're at room temp even though they are still boiling hot!)

Also, here's an extra photo. While they are pretty tasty with powdered sugar on them, I prefer them without it- the sugar does hide the taste of the apples a bit too much for my liking :,)

image-2024-06-29-100153148.png
[BSJ 2024] Main Hub[BSJ 2024] Out-of-Flight Raffle
[BSJ 2024] Illuminarti[BSJ 2024] Public Buy
@SolarCABLU Thank you for entering! I've linked your entry. :) FR won't let me use the correct accent for the "t" in Cornulete cu mere, but I'll make sure to include it on the Google Form for the Popular Vote!
@SolarCABLU Thank you for entering! I've linked your entry. :) FR won't let me use the correct accent for the "t" in Cornulete cu mere, but I'll make sure to include it on the Google Form for the Popular Vote!
[b]Username:[/b] Hollypox [b]Entry Title:[/b] Okonomiyaki Nest [b]Theme:[/b] My first thought upon wanting to cook something was "cabbage" and "eggs" which remain my most beloved foods. Other facets include a long-time interest in japan and also the medieval period. Hence I made a dish that features okonomiyaki as a base with medieval spice influences and plated on my medieval dishes! [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/eOH7ezE.jpeg[/img][/center] [b]Ingredients:[/b] 3 eggs 1.5cups cabbage 1dL flour 1.5dL spiced water saffron 0.5g (one envelope) baking powder ½tsp Lard 2tbsp (or whichever cooking oil you prefer) Salt to taste 1 carrot for decoration [b]Method:[/b] Hardboil One egg for the plating. Remove the shell and submerge the egg in lukewarm water, add the saffron to the water, let sit. (in medieval cuisine it was incredibly common to add saffron to "gild" an otherwise unassuming dish to make it more expensive and tasty, you see this very much in pies and gruels) Thinly slice the cabbage. To make a pancake dough: loosely whisk 2 eggs and add 1.5dL of the spiced water the egg is soaking in to the mixture, whisk down the flour and then add the cabbage, mix well and salt. Heat the lard in a hot pan and change to medium heat before adding half of your mix to the pan, flatten into a round pancake of about 5 inches in diameter and fry until golden brown on both sides plate your pancake and use a potato peeler to slice carrot to put on. Drain your egg from the water and slice it to top your pancake with and serve forth
Username: Hollypox

Entry Title: Okonomiyaki Nest

Theme: My first thought upon wanting to cook something was "cabbage" and "eggs" which remain my most beloved foods. Other facets include a long-time interest in japan and also the medieval period. Hence I made a dish that features okonomiyaki as a base with medieval spice influences and plated on my medieval dishes!
eOH7ezE.jpeg

Ingredients:

3 eggs
1.5cups cabbage
1dL flour
1.5dL spiced water
saffron 0.5g (one envelope)
baking powder ½tsp
Lard 2tbsp (or whichever cooking oil you prefer)
Salt to taste

1 carrot for decoration

Method:

Hardboil One egg for the plating. Remove the shell and submerge the egg in lukewarm water, add the saffron to the water, let sit. (in medieval cuisine it was incredibly common to add saffron to "gild" an otherwise unassuming dish to make it more expensive and tasty, you see this very much in pies and gruels)

Thinly slice the cabbage.

To make a pancake dough: loosely whisk 2 eggs and add 1.5dL of the spiced water the egg is soaking in to the mixture, whisk down the flour and then add the cabbage, mix well and salt.

Heat the lard in a hot pan and change to medium heat before adding half of your mix to the pan, flatten into a round pancake of about 5 inches in diameter and fry until golden brown on both sides

plate your pancake and use a potato peeler to slice carrot to put on. Drain your egg from the water and slice it to top your pancake with and serve forth
[b]Username:[/b] Lodzhal [b]Entry Title:[/b] Not top ramen [b]Theme:[/b] When it comes to meals, I'm the main person who cooks in my household. A lot of the food I do is just kinda winging it so that not only does it not become a repeat of the same thing over and over again, but also experimenting for what works well and what doesn't for future endeavors. Husband was hungry and wanted pork ramen, but couldn't figure out what kind of noodle he wanted, so this round features both udon and soba noodles. I'm not a fan of Top Ramen, hence why this meal is "not top ramen." XD For the meat: [LIST] [*]Pork chops [*]Salt & Pepper [*]Olive oil (for frying) [*]Ginger powder [*]Cayenne powder [*]Mirin [*]Miso paste [/LIST] Sliced up the pork chops into bite sized pieces. Put them in a frying pan with some olive oil. Added the aforementioned seasonings, stirring occasionally until done. The miso paste was added when they were just about done. For the soup: [LIST] [*]Udon noodles [*]Soba noodles [*]Pickled ginger (the pink slices seen below) [*]Pepper [*]Minced garlic [*]Water [*]Soba / Udon broth concentrate (never had it before, turned out pretty good) [*]Rice seasoning (nori komi furikake) [/LIST] Cooked the udon and then the soba in a pot of water on the stove. Once the noodles were soft enough, I rinsed them with cold water so that they would stop cooking. From there, I took some hot water and added the broth concentrate, pepper, rice seasoning and garlic to make a broth. The noodles were put into two bowls, evenly mixed between the two noodle types, cooked meat put on top. Broth was added and the pickled ginger was added as a last minute addition. [img]https://i.imgur.com/dj2ckSc.jpeg[/img]
Username: Lodzhal

Entry Title: Not top ramen

Theme: When it comes to meals, I'm the main person who cooks in my household. A lot of the food I do is just kinda winging it so that not only does it not become a repeat of the same thing over and over again, but also experimenting for what works well and what doesn't for future endeavors.

Husband was hungry and wanted pork ramen, but couldn't figure out what kind of noodle he wanted, so this round features both udon and soba noodles. I'm not a fan of Top Ramen, hence why this meal is "not top ramen." XD

For the meat:
  • Pork chops
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Olive oil (for frying)
  • Ginger powder
  • Cayenne powder
  • Mirin
  • Miso paste

Sliced up the pork chops into bite sized pieces. Put them in a frying pan with some olive oil. Added the aforementioned seasonings, stirring occasionally until done. The miso paste was added when they were just about done.

For the soup:
  • Udon noodles
  • Soba noodles
  • Pickled ginger (the pink slices seen below)
  • Pepper
  • Minced garlic
  • Water
  • Soba / Udon broth concentrate (never had it before, turned out pretty good)
  • Rice seasoning (nori komi furikake)

Cooked the udon and then the soba in a pot of water on the stove. Once the noodles were soft enough, I rinsed them with cold water so that they would stop cooking.

From there, I took some hot water and added the broth concentrate, pepper, rice seasoning and garlic to make a broth.

The noodles were put into two bowls, evenly mixed between the two noodle types, cooked meat put on top. Broth was added and the pickled ginger was added as a last minute addition.

dj2ckSc.jpeg
acaelus_100_by_dragonnmr-d9606za.gifLUqGQYc.pngsGgBmXL.png
[b]Username:[/b] RoseTeaGhost [b]Entry Title:[/b] Tea's Rosemary Ghost Shortbread! [b]Theme:[/b] I had a lot of fun with this one, it's a simple dish but I've managed to tie in a number of facets of myself, which I am quite proud of... My first goal was to make a dish using an ingredient that I had grown myself! I'm not a great gardener, however I am extremely fond of it, and I thought this would be a great time to honour that, so the rosemary used in this recipe was grown by me! My second goal was to make something that just screams unmistakably me, and for this I settled on the challenge of making food that glows! One of my absolute favourite things throughout life is anything that glows, it gives me an instant mood boost. I have glow in the dark nail polish/shoe laces/necklaces. I love ghost trains at theme parks. I get absolutely hypnotised by Christmas lights and fireworks. My favourite fish are all of the bioluminescent ones. This is something I am known for haha. So I opted for making icing that glows under black light. Third and finally, once I had this idea in place, I could not help but make them ghost shaped, to make a subtle pun on my username. As our online persona's are a facet of our irl selves! [b]Recipe/Ingredients:[/b] [emoji=crescent moon 2 size=1] Shortbread - For the shortbread itself I ended up mostly following a recipe from 'allrecipes' [url=https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/84205/rosemary-shortbread-cookies/]~LINK~ [/url] I swapped out the unsalted butter for a plant-based alternative, so ingredients were as follows: - 1 ½ cups plant-based butter - ? cup white sugar - 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary (I chopped this up the day before and then froze it overnight to keep fresh) - 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour - ¼ teaspoon pink salt [emoji=pink star size=1] - White sugar for decoration (I definitely used more than the recommended 2 teaspoons haha) Step 1: Mix the butter and sugar in a large bowl Step 2: Mix in the salt/flour/rosemary Step 3: Leave to cool in the fridge for 1hr so make the dough easier to roll Step 4: Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to around 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick Step 5: Cut out desired shapes and place on baking tray. Coat the top of the shortbread in a thin layer of sugar. Step 6: Cook in a preheated oven around 190C (170C with fan), for around 8-20 min, until the sides are starting to lightly brown. (It says 8min on the recipe, but mine definitely took much longer to brown, and they do taste better that way!) Step 7: Once shortbread is cooled, apply the icing. [emoji=green vial size=1] Icing - So for the icing I had no recipe. My basic logic for it was that I know for a fact you can use lemon juice to make invisible ink that shows up under blacklight. Lemon also thankfully happens to be a flavour that goes well with rosemary! I did however also want to see if anyone else had ever attempted anything similar to this, and I did get a few results saying to use tonic water in icing to make it glow. So as backup I also got myself some elderflower tonic water! Ingredients needed for the icing: - 1 Fresh Lemon / Lemon juice - Icing Sugar - Elderflower Tonic Water (Or whatever flavour you prefer!) I am not going to give precise measurements for the icing, as I made MUCH too much of it, and would not recommend you do what I did haha, however if I were to repeat this again I would suggest adding into a medium sized bowl maybe 4-5 tablespoons of icing sugar, 1 small dash of elderflower tonic water, and then use lemon juice to finally adjust the consistency (and of course mix this all together with a spoon!). You'll want the icing in the bowl to be quite runny, as you'll just want a thin layer of it on the shortbread, and the lemon flavour will be quite strong. I applied it onto the shortbread by dipping their top sides/'faces' into the icing bowl and then placing them onto a wire rack, rather than applying the icing onto the shortbread using a spoon etc. And voila that's it! It was a lot of fun to try something new out, so thank you for hosting! And apologies in advance for the slight eye-burn! [emoji=special eyes size=1] Blacklight photos taken using a small torch, I wish I had a bigger one to illuminate them all at once! [b]Pictures:[/b] [img]https://i.imgur.com/vjH4n6w.jpeg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/gdkuzjh.jpeg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/nngGtjZ.jpeg[/img]
Username: RoseTeaGhost

Entry Title: Tea's Rosemary Ghost Shortbread!

Theme: I had a lot of fun with this one, it's a simple dish but I've managed to tie in a number of facets of myself, which I am quite proud of...

My first goal was to make a dish using an ingredient that I had grown myself! I'm not a great gardener, however I am extremely fond of it, and I thought this would be a great time to honour that, so the rosemary used in this recipe was grown by me!

My second goal was to make something that just screams unmistakably me, and for this I settled on the challenge of making food that glows!
One of my absolute favourite things throughout life is anything that glows, it gives me an instant mood boost. I have glow in the dark nail polish/shoe laces/necklaces. I love ghost trains at theme parks. I get absolutely hypnotised by Christmas lights and fireworks. My favourite fish are all of the bioluminescent ones. This is something I am known for haha. So I opted for making icing that glows under black light.

Third and finally, once I had this idea in place, I could not help but make them ghost shaped, to make a subtle pun on my username. As our online persona's are a facet of our irl selves!

Recipe/Ingredients:

Shortbread -
For the shortbread itself I ended up mostly following a recipe from 'allrecipes' ~LINK~

I swapped out the unsalted butter for a plant-based alternative, so ingredients were as follows:

- 1 ½ cups plant-based butter
- ? cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary (I chopped this up the day before and then froze it overnight to keep fresh)
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon pink salt
- White sugar for decoration (I definitely used more than the recommended 2 teaspoons haha)

Step 1: Mix the butter and sugar in a large bowl
Step 2: Mix in the salt/flour/rosemary
Step 3: Leave to cool in the fridge for 1hr so make the dough easier to roll
Step 4: Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to around 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
Step 5: Cut out desired shapes and place on baking tray. Coat the top of the shortbread in a thin layer of sugar.
Step 6: Cook in a preheated oven around 190C (170C with fan), for around 8-20 min, until the sides are starting to lightly brown. (It says 8min on the recipe, but mine definitely took much longer to brown, and they do taste better that way!)
Step 7: Once shortbread is cooled, apply the icing.

Icing -
So for the icing I had no recipe. My basic logic for it was that I know for a fact you can use lemon juice to make invisible ink that shows up under blacklight. Lemon also thankfully happens to be a flavour that goes well with rosemary!
I did however also want to see if anyone else had ever attempted anything similar to this, and I did get a few results saying to use tonic water in icing to make it glow. So as backup I also got myself some elderflower tonic water!

Ingredients needed for the icing:
- 1 Fresh Lemon / Lemon juice
- Icing Sugar
- Elderflower Tonic Water (Or whatever flavour you prefer!)

I am not going to give precise measurements for the icing, as I made MUCH too much of it, and would not recommend you do what I did haha, however if I were to repeat this again I would suggest adding into a medium sized bowl maybe 4-5 tablespoons of icing sugar, 1 small dash of elderflower tonic water, and then use lemon juice to finally adjust the consistency (and of course mix this all together with a spoon!).
You'll want the icing in the bowl to be quite runny, as you'll just want a thin layer of it on the shortbread, and the lemon flavour will be quite strong.
I applied it onto the shortbread by dipping their top sides/'faces' into the icing bowl and then placing them onto a wire rack, rather than applying the icing onto the shortbread using a spoon etc.

And voila that's it! It was a lot of fun to try something new out, so thank you for hosting! And apologies in advance for the slight eye-burn! Blacklight photos taken using a small torch, I wish I had a bigger one to illuminate them all at once!
Pictures:
vjH4n6w.jpeg
gdkuzjh.jpeg
nngGtjZ.jpeg
GGc9sZ3.gif hHi8SF1.png
l8NOdbs.png
a69iToJ.png
rUoKR6y.png
Ms8zPwX.png
Plentiful-Albino.png5kODyPT.gif
Entry links updated to here, thanks so much everyone <3
Entry links updated to here, thanks so much everyone <3
[img alt="A photo of the Muah Chee Nest in a white ceramic pan. The base is a piece of roti canai (round flat yellow-ish bread). On top of that, there's a layer of ground peanuts to provide texture and flavor. Five blobby-looking 'eggs' made of muah chee (a type of glutinous rice cake) are resting on top of the ground peanuts. For decoration, there are a few large (non-edible) 3D-printed plastic columns lying around the edges of the nest. To the left of the pan, there's a piece of paper that reads: JadenErius, #707299, BSJ 2024."]https://i.imgur.com/XDo6l7x.jpeg[/img] [center][size=2]full alt text is provided for the photo! :)[/size][/center] [rule] [b]Username:[/b] JadenErius [b]Entry Title:[/b] Muah Chee Nest [b]Theme:[/b] This dish is a combination of two dishes from my home country of Malaysia: [i]roti canai[/i] and [i]muah chee[/i]. They are typically eaten as an appetizer (the roti) and a dessert (the muah chee). I decided to put them together in the form of a Light nest for two reasons: 1) because I strongly personally identify with the themes of the Light Flight (logic, pursuit of truth, etc), and 2) to celebrate Brightshine Jubilee, of course! [b]Ingredients:[/b] [list] [*] 500g bread flour [*] 1 Tbsp ghee [*] 1 tsp salt [*] 3 Tbsp sugar [*] 2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds [*] 130g glutinous rice flour [*] 1 cup of toasted unsalted peanuts [/list] [rule] [b]Making the Roti:[/b] [list=1] [*] Mix the bread flour, ghee, salt, 1 tsp of sugar and ~1 cup of water to form a dough. [*] Once combined, let it rest for 15 minutes. [*] Knead the dough until smooth. [*] Separate the dough into balls about 2 inches in size, and coat each one with cooking oil. [*] Let the dough balls rest for another 30 minutes. [*] Flatten each dough ball down as thinly as possible (typically involves [url=https://www.youtube.com/shorts/NIKB7rgR-qg]tossing[/url]). [*] Fry with oil on a pan until golden. [/list] [b]Making the Muah Chee:[/b] [list=1] [*] Combine the glutinous rice flour, a pinch of salt and 175ml of water to form a liquid-y paste. [*] Steam for 20 minutes. After taking it out, stir it quickly to improve its texture. [*] Let it cool for 10-20 minutes. [/list] [b]Making the Muah Chee Powder:[/b] [list=1] [*] Blend the toasted unsalted peanuts to form a rough powder. [*] Mix with toasted sesame seeds, 3 Tbsp of sugar and peanut powder. [*] Use the resulting powder to coat the muah chee when it's ready to eat. [/list] [b]Making the Decorative Columns:[/b] [list] [*] 3D printing is a passion of mine, so I figured it would be in line with the Facets theme to incorporate it into this dish somehow! [*] The decorative columns are printed out of white PLA and based on [url=https://makerworld.com/en/models/383034]this 3D model[/url]. (I edited and scaled it so that they would fit better in the pan.) [*] The print unfortunately failed near the top when it was trying to create the "damaged" structure, but it still turned out pretty good. ^^ [/list]
A photo of the Muah Chee Nest in a white ceramic pan. The base is a piece of roti canai (round flat yellow-ish bread). On top of that, there's a layer of ground peanuts to provide texture and flavor. Five blobby-looking 'eggs' made of muah chee (a type of glutinous rice cake) are resting on top of the ground peanuts. For decoration, there are a few large (non-edible) 3D-printed plastic columns lying around the edges of the nest. To the left of the pan, there's a piece of paper that reads: JadenErius, #707299, BSJ 2024.

full alt text is provided for the photo! :)

Username: JadenErius

Entry Title: Muah Chee Nest

Theme: This dish is a combination of two dishes from my home country of Malaysia: roti canai and muah chee. They are typically eaten as an appetizer (the roti) and a dessert (the muah chee). I decided to put them together in the form of a Light nest for two reasons: 1) because I strongly personally identify with the themes of the Light Flight (logic, pursuit of truth, etc), and 2) to celebrate Brightshine Jubilee, of course!

Ingredients:
  • 500g bread flour
  • 1 Tbsp ghee
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
  • 130g glutinous rice flour
  • 1 cup of toasted unsalted peanuts

Making the Roti:
  1. Mix the bread flour, ghee, salt, 1 tsp of sugar and ~1 cup of water to form a dough.
  2. Once combined, let it rest for 15 minutes.
  3. Knead the dough until smooth.
  4. Separate the dough into balls about 2 inches in size, and coat each one with cooking oil.
  5. Let the dough balls rest for another 30 minutes.
  6. Flatten each dough ball down as thinly as possible (typically involves tossing).
  7. Fry with oil on a pan until golden.

Making the Muah Chee:
  1. Combine the glutinous rice flour, a pinch of salt and 175ml of water to form a liquid-y paste.
  2. Steam for 20 minutes. After taking it out, stir it quickly to improve its texture.
  3. Let it cool for 10-20 minutes.

Making the Muah Chee Powder:
  1. Blend the toasted unsalted peanuts to form a rough powder.
  2. Mix with toasted sesame seeds, 3 Tbsp of sugar and peanut powder.
  3. Use the resulting powder to coat the muah chee when it's ready to eat.

Making the Decorative Columns:
  • 3D printing is a passion of mine, so I figured it would be in line with the Facets theme to incorporate it into this dish somehow!
  • The decorative columns are printed out of white PLA and based on this 3D model. (I edited and scaled it so that they would fit better in the pan.)
  • The print unfortunately failed near the top when it was trying to create the "damaged" structure, but it still turned out pretty good. ^^
[BSJ 2024] Main Hub[BSJ 2024] Out-of-Flight Raffle
[BSJ 2024] Illuminarti[BSJ 2024] Public Buy
Entry links updated to here, thanks so much for the fantastic turnout, everyone! <3

Voting and raffle pulls will be slightly later than I'd planned, maybe in about 12 hours. I'll try to get it done sooner if possible, but I want to make sure that I've checked every entry and finalized all the details first.

The Lumisnax Pot made it to 500000 Treasure and 200 Gems, oh my goodness!

I'll send out pings after I get the voting and raffle plans finalized. Expect judging to take ~7 days (sorry that it's longer than usual; we're very impressed by the quality and quantity of entries and want to take our time evaluating them carefully). Voting will be left open for a minimum of 3 days, but I will not close the voting form until judging results are finalized, so the voting period will probably be closer to 7 days unless we somehow finish sooner. :)

Thanks everyone, I'll be back with an update later today!
Entry links updated to here, thanks so much for the fantastic turnout, everyone! <3

Voting and raffle pulls will be slightly later than I'd planned, maybe in about 12 hours. I'll try to get it done sooner if possible, but I want to make sure that I've checked every entry and finalized all the details first.

The Lumisnax Pot made it to 500000 Treasure and 200 Gems, oh my goodness!

I'll send out pings after I get the voting and raffle plans finalized. Expect judging to take ~7 days (sorry that it's longer than usual; we're very impressed by the quality and quantity of entries and want to take our time evaluating them carefully). Voting will be left open for a minimum of 3 days, but I will not close the voting form until judging results are finalized, so the voting period will probably be closer to 7 days unless we somehow finish sooner. :)

Thanks everyone, I'll be back with an update later today!
1 2 3 4 5 6