Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Familiar Rarity Curiosity
1 2
I was just looking through my familiars and thought of something after stumbling across someone else's post searching for familiars they're missing. Are there any familiars with lower rarities that are actually still harder to get? Are there any familiars YOU feel are harder to get despite the rarity star system saying otherwise? I wanna know [emoji=coatl tongue size=2]
I was just looking through my familiars and thought of something after stumbling across someone else's post searching for familiars they're missing.

Are there any familiars with lower rarities that are actually still harder to get?

Are there any familiars YOU feel are harder to get despite the rarity star system saying otherwise?

I wanna know
knhLXgs.png
that one pink harpy from harpy's roost that you need for the den task is cruel and unusual punishment. you can't even get it from tmp. terrifying
that one pink harpy from harpy's roost that you need for the den task is cruel and unusual punishment. you can't even get it from tmp. terrifying
J9GEzlP.png

marketplace/mp
he/she
art ^ skins ^ buying fod nests
I still have yet to get a Heckling Hydrena drop from the Thunderhead Savanna. I don't know if it's just my luck or if they drop less commonly. I'm also hoping to get a boss from there potentially but they are more rare so that's expected to take awhile.
I still have yet to get a Heckling Hydrena drop from the Thunderhead Savanna. I don't know if it's just my luck or if they drop less commonly. I'm also hoping to get a boss from there potentially but they are more rare so that's expected to take awhile.
tumblr_ozl54fdz7Q1wvvm88o2_100.png t0QOcry.png
I think the stars are pretty arbitrary, honestly.

Why are trick of the light's shiney stars? What about the Woodland path dryads?

The emerald webwing is one star, the glowing pocket mouse is five. They're both gotten through the lowest level venue.The ruby webwing is three stars for some reason.

Like, looking at the first page of my familiars alone I see no patterns to the star system.

The emerald webwing is one star, the glowing pocket mouse is five. They're both gotten through the lowest level venue.The ruby webwing is three stars for some reason.

Like, looking at the first page of my familiars alone I see no patterns to the star system.
giphy.gif
BanescaleSig.png
giphy.gif
[quote name="azhdrake" date="2024-03-14 11:24:12" ] I think the stars are pretty arbitrary, honestly. Why are trick of the light's shiney stars? What about the Woodland path dryads? The emerald webwing is one star, the glowing pocket mouse is five. They're both gotten through the lowest level venue.The ruby webwing is three stars for some reason. Like, looking at the first page of my familiars alone I see no patterns to the star system. [/quote] You know I always just assumed it was meant to rate how hard it is to get a specific familiar in the game. Now that you've said that I'm wondering if it's actually a lore mechanic, like that particular creature is harder to find in the world or something. (So before submitting this reply I did a little digging and already answered my inquiry but created another inquiry which I will put below this) I found an old post that actually explains the function of the star rating system. It said, [b]"The star system only relates to Gathering difficulty, not actual site rarity."[/b] Now my question is what's the difference between Gathering difficulty and actual site rarity??? Does anyone know? I am full of questions today... [emoji=aether tongue size=2]
azhdrake wrote on 2024-03-14 11:24:12:

You know I always just assumed it was meant to rate how hard it is to get a specific familiar in the game. Now that you've said that I'm wondering if it's actually a lore mechanic, like that particular creature is harder to find in the world or something.

(So before submitting this reply I did a little digging and already answered my inquiry but created another inquiry which I will put below this)

I found an old post that actually explains the function of the star rating system. It said, "The star system only relates to Gathering difficulty, not actual site rarity."

Now my question is what's the difference between Gathering difficulty and actual site rarity???

Does anyone know? I am full of questions today...
knhLXgs.png
familiar rarity is a measure of how rarely they stock in the treasure marketplace, or drop from iron/gilded chests! fams that cant be found in the marketplace can often still drop from chests but theyre still beholden to star rarity. you mostly see it in old fams I think but there are some coli fams with very low drop rates that are one star rarity so they stock in the marketplace all the time. these guys in particular have a very very low drop rate in the coli but you can find em in the mp just all the time [item=Crimson Reef Snail] as for this disparity where the older items have variable coli-drop rarity vs site rarity...im going to guess its just an artifact of when staff was still figuring the coli out? like how coarsefur yetis were the first boss, and theyre muuuuuch weaker than other bosses but also their drop rate is PAINFULLY low. that model was decided to be ineffective so they changed it, which is I imagine why you don't really see rando common enemies with Very Rarely fam drop rates. old school
familiar rarity is a measure of how rarely they stock in the treasure marketplace, or drop from iron/gilded chests! fams that cant be found in the marketplace can often still drop from chests but theyre still beholden to star rarity.

you mostly see it in old fams I think but there are some coli fams with very low drop rates that are one star rarity so they stock in the marketplace all the time. these guys in particular have a very very low drop rate in the coli but you can find em in the mp just all the time
Crimson Reef Snail

as for this disparity where the older items have variable coli-drop rarity vs site rarity...im going to guess its just an artifact of when staff was still figuring the coli out? like how coarsefur yetis were the first boss, and theyre muuuuuch weaker than other bosses but also their drop rate is PAINFULLY low. that model was decided to be ineffective so they changed it, which is I imagine why you don't really see rando common enemies with Very Rarely fam drop rates. old school
KHUgIpL.gif sMnKARY.png fK5z2eq.gif
[quote name="RheoTastic" date="2024-03-14 11:55:50" ] familiar rarity is a measure of how rarely they stock in the treasure marketplace, or drop from iron/gilded chests! fams that cant be found in the marketplace can often still drop from chests but theyre still beholden to star rarity. you mostly see it in old fams I think but there are some coli fams with very low drop rates that are one star rarity so they stock in the marketplace all the time. these guys in particular have a very very low drop rate in the coli but you can find em in the mp just all the time [item=Crimson Reef Snail] as for this disparity where the older items have variable coli-drop rarity vs site rarity...im going to guess its just an artifact of when staff was still figuring the coli out? like how coarsefur yetis were the first boss, and theyre muuuuuch weaker than other bosses but also their drop rate is PAINFULLY low. that model was decided to be ineffective so they changed it, which is I imagine why you don't really see rando common enemies with Very Rarely fam drop rates. old school [/quote] Thank you so much for the clarification and information! It's really interesting to learn about different systems like this on the site that aren't insanely game changing but are more just there for those who want to know the nitty gritty of stuff. It's cool that the developers have small details like this on the site. It's just kind of a nod to how much love has gone into making Flight Rising over all. It's interesting to see how the pride people have for their projects ends up translated into their final works.
RheoTastic wrote on 2024-03-14 11:55:50:
familiar rarity is a measure of how rarely they stock in the treasure marketplace, or drop from iron/gilded chests! fams that cant be found in the marketplace can often still drop from chests but theyre still beholden to star rarity.

you mostly see it in old fams I think but there are some coli fams with very low drop rates that are one star rarity so they stock in the marketplace all the time. these guys in particular have a very very low drop rate in the coli but you can find em in the mp just all the time
Crimson Reef Snail

as for this disparity where the older items have variable coli-drop rarity vs site rarity...im going to guess its just an artifact of when staff was still figuring the coli out? like how coarsefur yetis were the first boss, and theyre muuuuuch weaker than other bosses but also their drop rate is PAINFULLY low. that model was decided to be ineffective so they changed it, which is I imagine why you don't really see rando common enemies with Very Rarely fam drop rates. old school

Thank you so much for the clarification and information! It's really interesting to learn about different systems like this on the site that aren't insanely game changing but are more just there for those who want to know the nitty gritty of stuff. It's cool that the developers have small details like this on the site.

It's just kind of a nod to how much love has gone into making Flight Rising over all. It's interesting to see how the pride people have for their projects ends up translated into their final works.
knhLXgs.png
A lot of the weirdly ranked familiars are from the early days of the site. The Glowing pocket mouse has the fourth lowest item id of any familiar, trick of the light is six, and then the dryads are eleven and twelve. (Luna Mith is the lowest, but it's only 3 stars. Why? Who knows)

Six stars is "random familiars from when the site first started + early NOTN familiars" and then what you would expect, like the retired event familiars, the bosses, and gem familiars.

Five is time limited but not retired, swip trades, Arlo, Joxtar, fiona and apparently Goldenbeast. I suppose that boss isn't as special as the others.

Phoenix is four star, and princess petal gecko is two, but those are the only ones I can pick out of my vault that feel very misplaced
A lot of the weirdly ranked familiars are from the early days of the site. The Glowing pocket mouse has the fourth lowest item id of any familiar, trick of the light is six, and then the dryads are eleven and twelve. (Luna Mith is the lowest, but it's only 3 stars. Why? Who knows)

Six stars is "random familiars from when the site first started + early NOTN familiars" and then what you would expect, like the retired event familiars, the bosses, and gem familiars.

Five is time limited but not retired, swip trades, Arlo, Joxtar, fiona and apparently Goldenbeast. I suppose that boss isn't as special as the others.

Phoenix is four star, and princess petal gecko is two, but those are the only ones I can pick out of my vault that feel very misplaced
[quote name="DarkInfernape" date="2024-03-14 12:16:37" ] Six stars is "random familiars from when the site first started + early NOTN familiars" and then what you would expect, like the retired event familiars, the bosses, and gem familiars. [/quote] other six star items include the gathering rares-[item=dappled dunhoof], [item=hippojay], [item=manticore] and [item=darktouched chimera]. they're all very expensive on the AH, as expected for fams rarer than eggs, except the darktouched chimera-it's only 10g. probably because people scavenge far more often than any other profession. edit: price correction
DarkInfernape wrote on 2024-03-14 12:16:37:
other six star items include the gathering rares- Dappled Dunhoof , Hippojay , Manticore and Darktouched Chimera . they're all very expensive on the AH, as expected for fams rarer than eggs, except the darktouched chimera-it's only 10g. probably because people scavenge far more often than any other profession.
edit: price correction
eNC9ZRF.jpeg
[quote name="Katastrophic" date="2024-03-14 12:05:14" ] Thank you so much for the clarification and information! It's really interesting to learn about different systems like this on the site that aren't insanely game changing but are more just there for those who want to know the nitty gritty of stuff. It's cool that the developers have small details like this on the site. It's just kind of a nod to how much love has gone into making Flight Rising over all. It's interesting to see how the pride people have for their projects ends up translated into their final works. [/quote] np! I like thinking about the Why of this stuff too--I am by no means a site engineer but I like taking uneducated guesses [emoji=sandsurge tongue size=1] as for my take-with-a-grain-of-salt hypothesis on why rarity was more arbitrary way back in the day, I think item rarity as a system was something that more or less fell out of use on-site. that's why most if not all of the Really Rare gathering items are old; they just decided "nah" at some point. I think its also a pooossible consequence of having So Many Items--like, if you have 50 one star items, the chance of finding the one you want is still pretty high. when you have 500 one star items, its still a bit of a challenge to find said item. so back in the day it made sense to have some familiars at higher rarity because the site really did generate them in a way that made them much harder to find than Any Given Specific One Star Familiar. it's also distinctly possible that FR didn't want to create a player economy based around marketplace patrolling a la Neopets, where the best way to make money was to just stay refreshing the page, waiting for a restock, and immediately buying high rarity items and reselling them for exorbitant prices. I genuinely dont know if this was ever a problem in FR's history but having lived through neopets where some of the rarer familiars (petpets) only stocked once in a blue moon, got sniped in seconds, and were resold for millions, I could like. understand if they were trying to avoid that the one mechanic that is still truly constrained by item rarity in current FR is gathering, and it doesnt even work that well (since on higher levels of gathering you actually have a way lower chance of getting the item you want), and I THINK devs mentioned they were going to rework gathering. thats only my vague recollection tho and I have no idea in what way they would be hypothetically reworking it
Katastrophic wrote on 2024-03-14 12:05:14:
Thank you so much for the clarification and information! It's really interesting to learn about different systems like this on the site that aren't insanely game changing but are more just there for those who want to know the nitty gritty of stuff. It's cool that the developers have small details like this on the site.

It's just kind of a nod to how much love has gone into making Flight Rising over all. It's interesting to see how the pride people have for their projects ends up translated into their final works.
np! I like thinking about the Why of this stuff too--I am by no means a site engineer but I like taking uneducated guesses

as for my take-with-a-grain-of-salt hypothesis on why rarity was more arbitrary way back in the day, I think item rarity as a system was something that more or less fell out of use on-site. that's why most if not all of the Really Rare gathering items are old; they just decided "nah" at some point. I think its also a pooossible consequence of having So Many Items--like, if you have 50 one star items, the chance of finding the one you want is still pretty high. when you have 500 one star items, its still a bit of a challenge to find said item. so back in the day it made sense to have some familiars at higher rarity because the site really did generate them in a way that made them much harder to find than Any Given Specific One Star Familiar.

it's also distinctly possible that FR didn't want to create a player economy based around marketplace patrolling a la Neopets, where the best way to make money was to just stay refreshing the page, waiting for a restock, and immediately buying high rarity items and reselling them for exorbitant prices. I genuinely dont know if this was ever a problem in FR's history but having lived through neopets where some of the rarer familiars (petpets) only stocked once in a blue moon, got sniped in seconds, and were resold for millions, I could like. understand if they were trying to avoid that

the one mechanic that is still truly constrained by item rarity in current FR is gathering, and it doesnt even work that well (since on higher levels of gathering you actually have a way lower chance of getting the item you want), and I THINK devs mentioned they were going to rework gathering. thats only my vague recollection tho and I have no idea in what way they would be hypothetically reworking it
KHUgIpL.gif sMnKARY.png fK5z2eq.gif
1 2