Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Book Recommendations
I'd love some recommendations for queer historical or historical fantasy genre romances, especially Regencies. I'm using "queer" very inclusive here: as long as the leads aren't both cis and het, I'm interested.

I love KJ Charles. I can't stand Cat Sebastian. I'm fine with shifter romance but squicked by any "true mates" or predestination stuff, so it's rough going with the genre conventions these days. If the setting is real history, rather than a secondary world with some historical trappings, I prefer that period-typical homophobia, transphobia, etc be present in the setting rather than handwaved away.

An example of one I loved is The Doctor's Discretion by EE Ottoman. Two physicians team up and fall in love in 1831 New York City while rescuing a transgender man from the authorities. It's full of historical details and harrowing challenges for the heroes to overcome, and the romance is very satisfying.
I'd love some recommendations for queer historical or historical fantasy genre romances, especially Regencies. I'm using "queer" very inclusive here: as long as the leads aren't both cis and het, I'm interested.

I love KJ Charles. I can't stand Cat Sebastian. I'm fine with shifter romance but squicked by any "true mates" or predestination stuff, so it's rough going with the genre conventions these days. If the setting is real history, rather than a secondary world with some historical trappings, I prefer that period-typical homophobia, transphobia, etc be present in the setting rather than handwaved away.

An example of one I loved is The Doctor's Discretion by EE Ottoman. Two physicians team up and fall in love in 1831 New York City while rescuing a transgender man from the authorities. It's full of historical details and harrowing challenges for the heroes to overcome, and the romance is very satisfying.
hey guys is this tik tok
The Encyclopedia of the Weird and Wonderful by Milo Rossi. [center][emoji=star size=1][emoji=star size=1][emoji=star size=1][emoji=star size=1][emoji=blue star size=1] 4/5 stars[/center] A look at human history through information and stories about archaeological finds. Milo's channel is an absolute joy to watch (Miniminuteman on YouTube; warning for bad language) and his style of narrating translates really well to this book. I only have two minor problems with it and both are the stylization: the pages occasionally have colorful blocks with some bonus information or side notes. these block inserts break up the flow of the page a little and (very rarely) can be a little hard to read. most of the time, I can read around them and come back to them once I finish the main block of text, but occasionally they're very awkwardly positioned which makes them a little annoying. just a minor annoyance for me that I can imagine would be somewhat frustrating to someone who is visually impaired. apart from that minor complaint, I think the book is an absolute must-read for anyone who likes history, archaeology, and good stories.
The Encyclopedia of the Weird and Wonderful by Milo Rossi.

4/5 stars

A look at human history through information and stories about archaeological finds. Milo's channel is an absolute joy to watch (Miniminuteman on YouTube; warning for bad language) and his style of narrating translates really well to this book. I only have two minor problems with it and both are the stylization:
the pages occasionally have colorful blocks with some bonus information or side notes. these block inserts break up the flow of the page a little and (very rarely) can be a little hard to read. most of the time, I can read around them and come back to them once I finish the main block of text, but occasionally they're very awkwardly positioned which makes them a little annoying. just a minor annoyance for me that I can imagine would be somewhat frustrating to someone who is visually impaired.
apart from that minor complaint, I think the book is an absolute must-read for anyone who likes history, archaeology, and good stories.
96px-Zexion%27s_Replica_Data_KHIIFM.png 4DvBsZc.png
Lucky
HxcMlGn.png
JrEJc4j.png
uPNWHgD.png
EHXIkb0.png
LDVtWi8.png j9JVcKh.png
The Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flannagan. It's what got me into dnd and archery, heavy, heavy recommend.
The Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flannagan. It's what got me into dnd and archery, heavy, heavy recommend.
LMLA6wg.png dT9HQge.pngLRdLP2V.png
P5OVHxF.png1YB0OjO.png
NlmYDAS.pngJ7D1quC.png

5hF3FGk.pngrix3ppo.png
uPNWHgD.pngR1dejfm.png
[quote name="Silverwolf123" date="2024-03-04 04:31:17" ] Market of Monsters series by Rebecca Schaeffer - Not even Bones - Only Ashes Remain - When Villains Rise Easy 5/5 in my opinion. Sadly you have to look this up yourself. I can´t give you here any specific description since the book is very gory but it´s super addicting and impossible to put down. Worth checking out! There is even Webtoon comics for it! And her other duology City of Nightmares - City of Nightmares - Cage of Dreams Another 5/5. I was hooked from page one and finished it in one go. Same with the second part. To put it shortly it´s a story about where people turn into their worst nightmares. They had to drink chemically treated water that prevents them from turning in their sleep. If they forgot to drink it then yeah... In City of Nightmares you follow a story of a 19 years old woman who is terrified of nightmares since her big sister transformed into a giant spider and ate their father. If you want to read something unique then I can definitelly recommend her books! [/quote] Is there a specific website I can find it on?
Silverwolf123 wrote on 2024-03-04 04:31:17:
Market of Monsters series by Rebecca Schaeffer
- Not even Bones
- Only Ashes Remain
- When Villains Rise

Easy 5/5 in my opinion. Sadly you have to look this up yourself. I can´t give you here any specific description since the book is very gory but it´s super addicting and impossible to put down. Worth checking out! There is even Webtoon comics for it!

And her other duology City of Nightmares
- City of Nightmares
- Cage of Dreams

Another 5/5. I was hooked from page one and finished it in one go. Same with the second part. To put it shortly it´s a story about where people turn into their worst nightmares. They had to drink chemically treated water that prevents them from turning in their sleep. If they forgot to drink it then yeah...
In City of Nightmares you follow a story of a 19 years old woman who is terrified of nightmares since her big sister transformed into a giant spider and ate their father.

If you want to read something unique then I can definitelly recommend her books!

Is there a specific website I can find it on?
@ForestHeart

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. You didn´t ping me and I haven´t noticed it.
You can go to her website and find all the information there :) Just search Rebecca Schaeffer books and there it is.
As far as I know she have written only these 5 books so far. She also have a webtoon exclusive comic Dead but Not Gone which I also can recommend!
@ForestHeart

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. You didn´t ping me and I haven´t noticed it.
You can go to her website and find all the information there :) Just search Rebecca Schaeffer books and there it is.
As far as I know she have written only these 5 books so far. She also have a webtoon exclusive comic Dead but Not Gone which I also can recommend!
Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy. It’s a whole series of 15 books, I think, maybe 16 if the 16th book has been released yet. I’m still reading book 1, but I’d definitely recommend it so far. It’s got magic and mysteries and stuff.
Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy. It’s a whole series of 15 books, I think, maybe 16 if the 16th book has been released yet. I’m still reading book 1, but I’d definitely recommend it so far. It’s got magic and mysteries and stuff.
cTrEW.gifmlHpBMC.png.XdKddgH.png.
Amygdala by Sam Fennah will always be a go-to for me. If you're not intimidated by larger books (it is 1000+ pages) it's definitely worth your time haha. It's a sci-fi political drama with some fantasy elements, and everything is super well written; amazing worldbuilding, too. The characters are all fun in their own ways and you even get pictures of them as well (just a fair warning though, some pictures do have nudity)

Godkiller by Hannah Kaner is good if you're into dark fantasy - it's got really interesting lore and characters, not to mention it's also got a sequel. It's a part of a trilogy, but the third book isn't out yet. I personally haven't read the sequel to Godkiller yet so I couldn't tell you anything about it but the first one's good.

Amygdala is meant to be a part of a series too, but the other books aren't out yet.
Amygdala by Sam Fennah will always be a go-to for me. If you're not intimidated by larger books (it is 1000+ pages) it's definitely worth your time haha. It's a sci-fi political drama with some fantasy elements, and everything is super well written; amazing worldbuilding, too. The characters are all fun in their own ways and you even get pictures of them as well (just a fair warning though, some pictures do have nudity)

Godkiller by Hannah Kaner is good if you're into dark fantasy - it's got really interesting lore and characters, not to mention it's also got a sequel. It's a part of a trilogy, but the third book isn't out yet. I personally haven't read the sequel to Godkiller yet so I couldn't tell you anything about it but the first one's good.

Amygdala is meant to be a part of a series too, but the other books aren't out yet.
fLdYOuE.png
CAJaTcp.png
jBEX2Bu.png
AQPJNOh.png
ypcKWM0.png
2VtxnMX.png
63854030_kgIi5Vrtnqxwoag.png63854030_kgIi5Vrtnqxwoag.png

~** FLUFFERB **~

jbMLSIO.png
leo4ZYP.png
C3gPKb3.png
OrlEqVx.png
ll0CfnD.png
rUoKR6y.png
obligatory the locked tomb rec

blurb of gideon the ninth

The Emperor needs necromancers.

The Ninth Necromancer needs a swordswoman.

Gideon has a sword, some dirty magazines, and no more time for undead nonsense.

Tamsyn Muir’s Gideon the Ninth unveils a solar system of swordplay, cut-throat politics, and lesbian necromancers. Her characters leap off the page, as skillfully animated as arcane revenants. The result is a heart-pounding epic science fantasy.

Brought up by unfriendly, ossifying nuns, ancient retainers, and countless skeletons, Gideon is ready to abandon a life of servitude and an afterlife as a reanimated corpse. She packs up her sword, her shoes, and her dirty magazines, and prepares to launch her daring escape. But her childhood nemesis won’t set her free without a service.

Harrowhark Nonagesimus, Reverend Daughter of the Ninth House and bone witch extraordinaire, has been summoned into action. The Emperor has invited the heirs to each of his loyal Houses to a deadly trial of wits and skill. If Harrowhark succeeds she will be become an immortal, all-powerful servant of the Resurrection, but no necromancer can ascend without their cavalier. Without Gideon’s sword, Harrow will fail, and the Ninth House will die.

Of course, some things are better left dead.

sci-fi/eldritch fantasy books that scratched my itch for bizarre eldritch fantasy with mystery elements

i genuinely thought these were YA novels because the mcs are 18 and 17 and its less intense then the hunger games
gideon swears a lot
don't go in expecting lesbian romance, it's uh... there's no kissing
un-described gore and body horror are present (well its described, but not in detail)
obligatory the locked tomb rec

blurb of gideon the ninth

The Emperor needs necromancers.

The Ninth Necromancer needs a swordswoman.

Gideon has a sword, some dirty magazines, and no more time for undead nonsense.

Tamsyn Muir’s Gideon the Ninth unveils a solar system of swordplay, cut-throat politics, and lesbian necromancers. Her characters leap off the page, as skillfully animated as arcane revenants. The result is a heart-pounding epic science fantasy.

Brought up by unfriendly, ossifying nuns, ancient retainers, and countless skeletons, Gideon is ready to abandon a life of servitude and an afterlife as a reanimated corpse. She packs up her sword, her shoes, and her dirty magazines, and prepares to launch her daring escape. But her childhood nemesis won’t set her free without a service.

Harrowhark Nonagesimus, Reverend Daughter of the Ninth House and bone witch extraordinaire, has been summoned into action. The Emperor has invited the heirs to each of his loyal Houses to a deadly trial of wits and skill. If Harrowhark succeeds she will be become an immortal, all-powerful servant of the Resurrection, but no necromancer can ascend without their cavalier. Without Gideon’s sword, Harrow will fail, and the Ninth House will die.

Of course, some things are better left dead.

sci-fi/eldritch fantasy books that scratched my itch for bizarre eldritch fantasy with mystery elements

i genuinely thought these were YA novels because the mcs are 18 and 17 and its less intense then the hunger games
gideon swears a lot
don't go in expecting lesbian romance, it's uh... there's no kissing
un-described gore and body horror are present (well its described, but not in detail)

6Dq3jOp.png
cdqdRxL.png
WKtl2lb.png
YMPbu9R.png
haxorus.gif
second recs on both priory of the orange tree and locked tomb series
as for mine, i rec the temeraire series(napoleonic wars but with dragons), the hollow star saga(fae courts but if it was modern day), and to shape a dragon's breath
second recs on both priory of the orange tree and locked tomb series
as for mine, i rec the temeraire series(napoleonic wars but with dragons), the hollow star saga(fae courts but if it was modern day), and to shape a dragon's breath
hFZSb6U.png LEpJMnn.png ZbNAjCO.png Tl1dGxE.png tqGkHih.png
3CWJL5M.png
mi0V3S8.png
7YfgrTm.png
R6OjJmf.png
[b]The One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot. [/b] My friend picked it up from the library. She cried a lot. Then tried to get everyone she knew to read it, and so it got passed to me. Then I cried a lot. I relish the opportunity for this book to claim a new victim [emoji=coatl winking size=1] I don't normally read non fantasy books so I was kind of like "fine, ok, I'll read this for you I guess I have nothing else going on." And it wasn't exactly her genre either. She mainly reads horror and crime novels and we never have anything that overlaps, yet this book got both of us. It's been weeks and I'm still thinking about what that book had to say. I can't even describe it though because doing so feels like giving out spoilers. But if you do decide to pick it up come back and let me know the point of your breakdown [emoji=coatl winking size=1]
The One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot.

My friend picked it up from the library. She cried a lot. Then tried to get everyone she knew to read it, and so it got passed to me. Then I cried a lot. I relish the opportunity for this book to claim a new victim

I don't normally read non fantasy books so I was kind of like "fine, ok, I'll read this for you I guess I have nothing else going on." And it wasn't exactly her genre either. She mainly reads horror and crime novels and we never have anything that overlaps, yet this book got both of us. It's been weeks and I'm still thinking about what that book had to say.
I can't even describe it though because doing so feels like giving out spoilers. But if you do decide to pick it up come back and let me know the point of your breakdown