Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Limited Bumping in the ToS
1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 44 45
I would honestly prefer 24 hours over 2 days to bump my accent topic >_>
I would honestly prefer 24 hours over 2 days to bump my accent topic >_>
[quote name="Aggron" date="2014-07-03 06:46:38"]@jayara Not really commenting on the bumping rule, but about the flight boards thing, you can't actively tell other players to move their threads or delete them or whatnot, as that constitutes mini-modding, which is also against the ToS.[/quote] Never said for "players" to do so. My reference was tied to the previous paragraph for "mods/FR" making a rule for it and for them to take charge because regardless it is still a problem (and why I never visit my flight forum anymore). However, it was implied and not spelled out so I will clarify my post so it reads that way. Edit: change made. In short though, my thoughts are that if the thread is too busy, it needs reorganizing/different or more categories to post in more than the 24/48 hour band-aid. (Afterall, when the user base gets larger and the issue is still a happening even if everyone is following a 24/48 hour bump rule what do you do then? ) Ironically, I can also see people paying for bumps to their thread from other people to try and skirt around the issue which then gets into some ugly gray area territory. Then you also have to then determine what the difference is between a 'bump' and real conversation. That's a lot of rules lawyering vs just making a new forum or subforum and FR (not players - need to spell this out so there is no confusion) telling the user base to stick to the new areas for chatter. Truth of the matter is that it's like a big conference right now and Reservations has told them all to use a couple rooms to share. (For example, Auctions could get its own subforum in the sales threads as well as a separate G1 selling subforum, etc. If the threads move slower, they get bumped less.)
Aggron wrote on 2014-07-03 06:46:38:
@jayara
Not really commenting on the bumping rule, but about the flight boards thing, you can't actively tell other players to move their threads or delete them or whatnot, as that constitutes mini-modding, which is also against the ToS.

Never said for "players" to do so. My reference was tied to the previous paragraph for "mods/FR" making a rule for it and for them to take charge because regardless it is still a problem (and why I never visit my flight forum anymore). However, it was implied and not spelled out so I will clarify my post so it reads that way.

Edit: change made.

In short though, my thoughts are that if the thread is too busy, it needs reorganizing/different or more categories to post in more than the 24/48 hour band-aid. (Afterall, when the user base gets larger and the issue is still a happening even if everyone is following a 24/48 hour bump rule what do you do then? )

Ironically, I can also see people paying for bumps to their thread from other people to try and skirt around the issue which then gets into some ugly gray area territory. Then you also have to then determine what the difference is between a 'bump' and real conversation. That's a lot of rules lawyering vs just making a new forum or subforum and FR (not players - need to spell this out so there is no confusion) telling the user base to stick to the new areas for chatter. Truth of the matter is that it's like a big conference right now and Reservations has told them all to use a couple rooms to share. (For example, Auctions could get its own subforum in the sales threads as well as a separate G1 selling subforum, etc. If the threads move slower, they get bumped less.)
I know I'm new and don't post much in the forums but perhaps I might put my two cents in...

48 hours is way excessive. Especially for a busy forum.
Why are the two boards that are most prone to bump-spam exempt?
If those two are exempt, why not others that are for similar reasons (sales and wanted)?
Why not have the rule be across the board instead of exemptions?

I actually would lean more toward a straight up flat rule rather than a "you can't bump for xx number of hours unless you're in this list of boards that potentially constitutes half the forum entire", which is honestly potentially really confusing to people who are new to the forums/site.
Something like not bumping for 6 hours in any thread in the forums would really limit some of the bump-spam. It wouldn't be excessively long for the busiest sets of boards but still allow some time in the slower areas to prevent unnecessary spam.
I know I'm new and don't post much in the forums but perhaps I might put my two cents in...

48 hours is way excessive. Especially for a busy forum.
Why are the two boards that are most prone to bump-spam exempt?
If those two are exempt, why not others that are for similar reasons (sales and wanted)?
Why not have the rule be across the board instead of exemptions?

I actually would lean more toward a straight up flat rule rather than a "you can't bump for xx number of hours unless you're in this list of boards that potentially constitutes half the forum entire", which is honestly potentially really confusing to people who are new to the forums/site.
Something like not bumping for 6 hours in any thread in the forums would really limit some of the bump-spam. It wouldn't be excessively long for the busiest sets of boards but still allow some time in the slower areas to prevent unnecessary spam.
Clueless but caffeinated.
I personally don't think any bump limit should be in place until we have the ability to forum search--it makes it very hard to find old topics, even if it's only a couple days.
I think the bump rule should be every 6 hours, instead? 48 hours is a very long time, and by then, whatever you were wanting/needing/selling is probably over and done with. 6 hours keeps things fresh, while giving others a chance to still post.

The only place that ever seems to actually have issues with forum bumping is in dragon sales? A lot of people go to dragon trading so they can get out of the sales forum b/c things bump so fast. So I don't think ANY forum should be an exception, and that "recreating a forum for the (exact) same purpose" within 48 hours would be a good addition.

Alternatively, I think a looser rule like "no back to back bumps" might be better, and should be applied every where. So 6 hours or infinite hours, but the 48 hours is just awkward.
I personally don't think any bump limit should be in place until we have the ability to forum search--it makes it very hard to find old topics, even if it's only a couple days.
I think the bump rule should be every 6 hours, instead? 48 hours is a very long time, and by then, whatever you were wanting/needing/selling is probably over and done with. 6 hours keeps things fresh, while giving others a chance to still post.

The only place that ever seems to actually have issues with forum bumping is in dragon sales? A lot of people go to dragon trading so they can get out of the sales forum b/c things bump so fast. So I don't think ANY forum should be an exception, and that "recreating a forum for the (exact) same purpose" within 48 hours would be a good addition.

Alternatively, I think a looser rule like "no back to back bumps" might be better, and should be applied every where. So 6 hours or infinite hours, but the 48 hours is just awkward.
tumblr_inline_nhzj5fFrMa1qmyry9.pngLB
Was the bump rule removed from the ToS while it is being discussed? I can't see to find it anymore.
Was the bump rule removed from the ToS while it is being discussed? I can't see to find it anymore.
Click The Imperial Below to Get a Free Unhatched Egg!
X1e9cjr.gif
Is there a way to then instead have a Bump button? Like coded into the thread so it can keep track for you?

A concern is that then people might end up posting nonsense in the form of a longer 'conversation' that is basically filled with nothing you can really talk about, that will seem like more just so they avoid the no 'bump' rule. I've seen that on forum sites that try to discourage shorter posts. So instead some people end up rattling on and on instead. And then that might ruin an actual conversation someone else is having on a thread.
Is there a way to then instead have a Bump button? Like coded into the thread so it can keep track for you?

A concern is that then people might end up posting nonsense in the form of a longer 'conversation' that is basically filled with nothing you can really talk about, that will seem like more just so they avoid the no 'bump' rule. I've seen that on forum sites that try to discourage shorter posts. So instead some people end up rattling on and on instead. And then that might ruin an actual conversation someone else is having on a thread.
UbEcJMn.png
Personally, I'm against restrictions like this.
I've been on sites like Neopets, where the amount of restrictions on the forums got so bad I had to stop using them after getting two (very much unfair) warnings.
I'm not saying rules are bad, but you have to be careful with restrictions. Like many others I think 48 hours is way overdoing it.
Either once or twice a day, it would probably be better.
Personally, I'm against restrictions like this.
I've been on sites like Neopets, where the amount of restrictions on the forums got so bad I had to stop using them after getting two (very much unfair) warnings.
I'm not saying rules are bad, but you have to be careful with restrictions. Like many others I think 48 hours is way overdoing it.
Either once or twice a day, it would probably be better.
+9 FR time
@Confectionary, it's not in the ToU, half the rules of the site are there, the other half are in the stickies at the top of each forum.
But that's a whole different basket of kittens to complain about.
@Confectionary, it's not in the ToU, half the rules of the site are there, the other half are in the stickies at the top of each forum.
But that's a whole different basket of kittens to complain about.
f2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.gif
@clockworkMoose Ahh gotcha. For some reason I thought I remembered it being there. Thank you! c:
@clockworkMoose Ahh gotcha. For some reason I thought I remembered it being there. Thank you! c:
Click The Imperial Below to Get a Free Unhatched Egg!
X1e9cjr.gif
@WatchKeyPhone hatcheries due to their great numbers would be given its own subform in the "Dragons Wanted" sub. I've always wanted hatcheries to be separately grouped from the wanted section. :)

I'm actually building my own gaurdian hatchery, at the current rate my thread would be burred instantly under threads for sales of skydancers and WCs. :)
@WatchKeyPhone hatcheries due to their great numbers would be given its own subform in the "Dragons Wanted" sub. I've always wanted hatcheries to be separately grouped from the wanted section. :)

I'm actually building my own gaurdian hatchery, at the current rate my thread would be burred instantly under threads for sales of skydancers and WCs. :)
ppp-badge_storage.gifm6IxQYa.gif6KadE7H.png
1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 44 45