Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | i'll critique your art! (rules upd8)
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 86 87
@Andraya
oh, thank you so much!! i love it - the expression is so good, haha. glad i could help, and same to you :D

@Morigan
well, there's nothing wrong with glow effects! if you tried it flat and just didn't like it, that's totally fine :) the more contrast there is on an object between the highlights and the shadows, the bigger it appears, generally, so be careful not to overdo the shadows on any smaller elements of your art. but really i think the way you did it was fine, and you totally nailed the overall atmosphere of the piece!
@Andraya
oh, thank you so much!! i love it - the expression is so good, haha. glad i could help, and same to you :D

@Morigan
well, there's nothing wrong with glow effects! if you tried it flat and just didn't like it, that's totally fine :) the more contrast there is on an object between the highlights and the shadows, the bigger it appears, generally, so be careful not to overdo the shadows on any smaller elements of your art. but really i think the way you did it was fine, and you totally nailed the overall atmosphere of the piece!
XfL644W.png
WhPZGJa.png
Thank you :D
Thank you :D
Just finished this today! I was doodling in class yesterday and decided I liked my doodle so much I should “finish” it digitally. So that’s what I did :P I feel like he isn’t leaning nearly as much as he should be, but that’s what I get for not posing it out beforehand. [img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/96/a4/62/96a462550a37cd7a2a462fac41501321.png[/img]
Just finished this today! I was doodling in class yesterday and decided I liked my doodle so much I should “finish” it digitally. So that’s what I did :P I feel like he isn’t leaning nearly as much as he should be, but that’s what I get for not posing it out beforehand.

96a462550a37cd7a2a462fac41501321.png
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
@RabidWhovian
it's ace powerpuff girls!

in general, i really like this piece, honestly! the lineart is very crisp, and i like how you change its weight to draw the eye (although i think the effect is missing just a little on the shoes). i agree that there could be a little more of a lean to the pose, though! there's two elements to this; one is building around a slightly more dynamic line of action, and the other is making a note of where your subject's center of gravity is. in a standing position the center of gravity is usually around the belly button, because the weight above and below that point is roughly the same. if your subject's center of gravity is above their base - the space between their feet, or their butt if they're sitting down etc etc - then they're stable, and once it shifts to the side they're unstable and will fall over without a restoring force to push them back in the right direction (ie, something to lean on!). pushing ace's center of gravity a little further off-base will make the lean seem more convincing. i think the other thing that could sell it more is the angle of the upper arm. limbs that have weight on them are generally parallel to the force so to minimize muscle strain; a more natural (and comfortable!) position would be to have his upper arm flat, perpendicular to the wall, so it's more convincing that he's putting his weight on it.

other stuff... this is only because i'm a bit of a formalwear nerd, but i'd recommend looking at the construction of a blazer/suit jacket - where the panels of fabric and stitch lines are. formal jackets have a very clear delineation between the torso piece and the arms, and will often have a little bit of padding at the shoulders to help square off the silhouette. these two things are really what makes a suit jacket feel like a suit jacket, rather than just a jumper with lapels, haha. less casual garments will have less of the shoulder padding, but there's still the sharp body/sleeve line, and on the raised arm the fabric should bunch up a little more. i'd also like to see some slightly darker occlusion shadows! shadows aren't usually a uniform colour; places like where one leg crosses over the other, the hand in the pocket, the jawline will have deeper shadows because there are less angles for bounce lighting to hit them. cars are a good example - even if the sun is at an angle, the darkest shadows will still be directly underneath the car, because as well as the direct light of the sun they're also blocking the ambient light from the sky, bounce light from nearby objects, etc... brushing a few really dark shadows into the nooks and crannies of your piece can really sell the lighting!

hope this helps! i really like your art overall, it's very stylish and there's some lovely use of textures.
@RabidWhovian
it's ace powerpuff girls!

in general, i really like this piece, honestly! the lineart is very crisp, and i like how you change its weight to draw the eye (although i think the effect is missing just a little on the shoes). i agree that there could be a little more of a lean to the pose, though! there's two elements to this; one is building around a slightly more dynamic line of action, and the other is making a note of where your subject's center of gravity is. in a standing position the center of gravity is usually around the belly button, because the weight above and below that point is roughly the same. if your subject's center of gravity is above their base - the space between their feet, or their butt if they're sitting down etc etc - then they're stable, and once it shifts to the side they're unstable and will fall over without a restoring force to push them back in the right direction (ie, something to lean on!). pushing ace's center of gravity a little further off-base will make the lean seem more convincing. i think the other thing that could sell it more is the angle of the upper arm. limbs that have weight on them are generally parallel to the force so to minimize muscle strain; a more natural (and comfortable!) position would be to have his upper arm flat, perpendicular to the wall, so it's more convincing that he's putting his weight on it.

other stuff... this is only because i'm a bit of a formalwear nerd, but i'd recommend looking at the construction of a blazer/suit jacket - where the panels of fabric and stitch lines are. formal jackets have a very clear delineation between the torso piece and the arms, and will often have a little bit of padding at the shoulders to help square off the silhouette. these two things are really what makes a suit jacket feel like a suit jacket, rather than just a jumper with lapels, haha. less casual garments will have less of the shoulder padding, but there's still the sharp body/sleeve line, and on the raised arm the fabric should bunch up a little more. i'd also like to see some slightly darker occlusion shadows! shadows aren't usually a uniform colour; places like where one leg crosses over the other, the hand in the pocket, the jawline will have deeper shadows because there are less angles for bounce lighting to hit them. cars are a good example - even if the sun is at an angle, the darkest shadows will still be directly underneath the car, because as well as the direct light of the sun they're also blocking the ambient light from the sky, bounce light from nearby objects, etc... brushing a few really dark shadows into the nooks and crannies of your piece can really sell the lighting!

hope this helps! i really like your art overall, it's very stylish and there's some lovely use of textures.
XfL644W.png
WhPZGJa.png
@corvidus omg thank you ; ; I never get real criticism, thank you so much. I’m putting this piece on my list of ones to redraw somewhere down the line because I had a lot of fun with it. And now I know what to change HALLELUJAH-
@corvidus omg thank you ; ; I never get real criticism, thank you so much. I’m putting this piece on my list of ones to redraw somewhere down the line because I had a lot of fun with it. And now I know what to change HALLELUJAH-
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
@RabidWhovian
no worries!! glad to hear it was helpful :D
@RabidWhovian
no worries!! glad to hear it was helpful :D
XfL644W.png
WhPZGJa.png
[font=copperplate] I'm fairly new at digital art and have only made 5 published pieces. Here is one I'm particularly happy with, although some parts of it are awkward to me, I'm hoping it's just "Artist eye". [img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/167efb927eea9b7e1662a0671b4de458/e8adac0e9a6b0327-62/s540x810/0248f72b739226f7683bb8be321e8a967b92ba00.png[/img] This was also my first fullbody, so maybe I should not have gone with such a complicated pose...

I'm fairly new at digital art and have only made 5 published pieces. Here is one I'm particularly happy with, although some parts of it are awkward to me, I'm hoping it's just "Artist eye".

0248f72b739226f7683bb8be321e8a967b92ba00.png

This was also my first fullbody, so maybe I should not have gone with such a complicated pose...
15295.png
< PST | Exalter & Lore-Writer | Artist >

< Project Moon | Rain World | LoZ | Pokemon >

39072.png q7KYqlT.png
@corvidus hello! I love your stuff on your website, highly detailed and funky! I'm fairly new to digital art, so traditional art is my main medium, thoughts? I have a few pieces? [img]https://i.imgur.com/euWk2hk.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/1eH6FeW.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/muuAMAO.png[/img]
@corvidus

hello! I love your stuff on your website, highly detailed and funky!

I'm fairly new to digital art, so traditional art is my main medium, thoughts?

I have a few pieces?
euWk2hk.jpg
1eH6FeW.png
muuAMAO.png
3Lr6Rsp.png
I always appreciate critique, or pricing advice lol [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/597846536864530432/687486952727117839/image0-398.png[/img][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/593622027504582675/687501727343050772/20191111_142930.jpg[/img][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/593622027504582675/687499435131011103/image0-443.png[/img][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/593622027504582675/687490564001890327/IMG_20200303_102309_494.jpg[/img][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/593622027504582675/687489073417682955/DigitalExampleKessler-2.png[/img][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/593622027504582675/687093978117570569/image0-343.png[/img]
I always appreciate critique, or pricing advice lol

image0-398.png20191111_142930.jpgimage0-443.pngIMG_20200303_102309_494.jpgDigitalExampleKessler-2.pngimage0-343.png
giveawayglenminibanner.png
It's not hard to be nice-
help pick up what they dropped, hold the door, say hello;
but it could make someone elses day, just that little bit better
Something that seems small and insignificant to you, can mean the world to someone else

Live not for yesterday, nor for tomorrow
Live for today
17JYCdP.gif
@SandSeraph

aww, cute! i wouldn't be able to tell you're a newbie at digital art, honestly - the lineart's very crisp and overall there's a high level of polish to the piece.

i think the first thing that makes the pose look a tad awkward is that the line of action isn't very smooth. the curve of the neck doesn't really transition into that of the body, the kinks in the tail go against the flow of the piece a little, and that front leg is sticking out at a slightly odd angle. when you're sketching your poses, start with a simple curve to show the direction and flow of the pose, and build off that!

it's also important to take note of which part's the back and which is the belly, especially on a twisty pose like this. when you're sketching the basic form, make sure you contour where the lines of the belly are, even on the parts that will be covered when you add the wings etc. it'll help you think about the 'twist' of the pose more easily, and make sure the limbs are all coming from the right places (for example, I think the far back leg is 'floating' slightly). any time you're working on a complex pose like this, take it step by step when you're sketching. it can be tough to make sure all the pieces go together properly, but it'll be worth it in the end!

I'd say keep at it with the funky poses, honestly! i think you've got a really strong start here, there's a lot of personality and energy to the pose :)

@GaySkeleton09
oh, thank you! (also your username is extremely good)

i think the traditional piece definitely looks more confident than your digital stuff? but i think that'll just come with practice. experiment a bit more with the techniques you use for the digital pieces; depending on the program you're using, you might be able to find some brushes that closely mimic traditional media, which might be easier to feel more at home with! i remember digital art felt very 'clinical' when i started out, but finding some photoshop tools that acted like sketching pencils or oil paints made stuff feel a lot more intuitive.

i think your subjects are also looking a bit flat. they're all in pretty stark side- or front-views; experiment a little with maybe 3/4 views, or different poses. it's important to think of your subjects in 3D. a head isn't a circle, it's a sphere; a spiral is a cylinder (with a few doodads attached). diversifying your angles and poses will help you think a bit more carefully about the 3D nature of what you're drawing. photo studies of people or animals can also really help, but the best exercise for this is life drawings of objects around you, because when you have the actual object in front of you you can see depth that you can't in a photo.

hope this helps! i think your style is cute, and I'm excited to see what you make once you've gotten a bit more comfortable with the digital medium - there's a lot you can do with it!
@SandSeraph

aww, cute! i wouldn't be able to tell you're a newbie at digital art, honestly - the lineart's very crisp and overall there's a high level of polish to the piece.

i think the first thing that makes the pose look a tad awkward is that the line of action isn't very smooth. the curve of the neck doesn't really transition into that of the body, the kinks in the tail go against the flow of the piece a little, and that front leg is sticking out at a slightly odd angle. when you're sketching your poses, start with a simple curve to show the direction and flow of the pose, and build off that!

it's also important to take note of which part's the back and which is the belly, especially on a twisty pose like this. when you're sketching the basic form, make sure you contour where the lines of the belly are, even on the parts that will be covered when you add the wings etc. it'll help you think about the 'twist' of the pose more easily, and make sure the limbs are all coming from the right places (for example, I think the far back leg is 'floating' slightly). any time you're working on a complex pose like this, take it step by step when you're sketching. it can be tough to make sure all the pieces go together properly, but it'll be worth it in the end!

I'd say keep at it with the funky poses, honestly! i think you've got a really strong start here, there's a lot of personality and energy to the pose :)

@GaySkeleton09
oh, thank you! (also your username is extremely good)

i think the traditional piece definitely looks more confident than your digital stuff? but i think that'll just come with practice. experiment a bit more with the techniques you use for the digital pieces; depending on the program you're using, you might be able to find some brushes that closely mimic traditional media, which might be easier to feel more at home with! i remember digital art felt very 'clinical' when i started out, but finding some photoshop tools that acted like sketching pencils or oil paints made stuff feel a lot more intuitive.

i think your subjects are also looking a bit flat. they're all in pretty stark side- or front-views; experiment a little with maybe 3/4 views, or different poses. it's important to think of your subjects in 3D. a head isn't a circle, it's a sphere; a spiral is a cylinder (with a few doodads attached). diversifying your angles and poses will help you think a bit more carefully about the 3D nature of what you're drawing. photo studies of people or animals can also really help, but the best exercise for this is life drawings of objects around you, because when you have the actual object in front of you you can see depth that you can't in a photo.

hope this helps! i think your style is cute, and I'm excited to see what you make once you've gotten a bit more comfortable with the digital medium - there's a lot you can do with it!
XfL644W.png
WhPZGJa.png
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 86 87