Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Naming upon hatching is required
[quote name="Springdragon" date="2019-01-08 12:05:32" ] Have you considered forcing a name just before exalting instead of after hatching? Alternatively, unnamed dragons could display "Exalted" or be assigned a random name instead of "Unnamed" after exalting. Forcing a name on an active dragon is a huge detriment to all players except the ones who exclusively home breed and don't like blanks. Forcing a name on deleted dragons affects nobody except those who care about lore. [/quote] There is already a perfect solution that works for everyone. If Unnamed dragons bother you, you can easily prevent them by naming the dragon while it is in your lair. Once named, a dragon cannot be Unnamed by another player. Players who want Unnamed dragons can have them. Players who don’t want Unnamed dragons can prevent hem.
Springdragon wrote on 2019-01-08 12:05:32:
Have you considered forcing a name just before exalting instead of after hatching?

Alternatively, unnamed dragons could display "Exalted" or be assigned a random name instead of "Unnamed" after exalting.

Forcing a name on an active dragon is a huge detriment to all players except the ones who exclusively home breed and don't like blanks. Forcing a name on deleted dragons affects nobody except those who care about lore.

There is already a perfect solution that works for everyone. If Unnamed dragons bother you, you can easily prevent them by naming the dragon while it is in your lair. Once named, a dragon cannot be Unnamed by another player.
Players who want Unnamed dragons can have them. Players who don’t want Unnamed dragons can prevent hem.
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
[quote name="Springdragon" date="2019-01-08 12:46:04" ] However, I am looking for the solution that will lead to the least number of people being unhappy. [/quote] So what's wrong with the solution we have now? People who want named dragons can name them. People who want unnamed dragons keep them unnamed. People who don't care do whatever. What needs to be changed there?
Springdragon wrote on 2019-01-08 12:46:04:
However, I am looking for the solution that will lead to the least number of people being unhappy.

So what's wrong with the solution we have now? People who want named dragons can name them. People who want unnamed dragons keep them unnamed. People who don't care do whatever. What needs to be changed there?
[quote name="@Springdragon" date="2019-01-08 12:46:04" ] I, personally, do not care about the naming status of other dragons. However, I am looking for the solution that will lead to the least number of people being unhappy. I also like the idea of truly unnamed dragons displaying an ID number, so that people who want unnamed dragons can choose to call them "Unnamed", people who don't care can leave them as they are, buyers can still tell which dragons have a free name change, and lore players still have a unique identifier in their lineages. [/quote] The 'solution', as you put it, is for players who truly care to use the mechanic that is already available to them and follow the rules: Name any dragon before it leaves their lair and ignore any dragon that doesn't belong to them. Any dragon that isn't in your lair, or was exalted by you (and this is a general you), is none of your business, no matter where the name shows up. It belongs, solely, to the player who owns it, and since exalted dragons move flights when the person who exalted them does, exalted dragons still belong to the person who exalted them (plus the restoration feature, though limited in time, also shows that exalted dragons still belong to the player who exalted them). Right now, judging by how many people do not support these threads (not even just suggestions but other places), the greatest number of people would be happy if players who cared about unnamed in their lineages took care of it themselves, when they are able to. I know I am happy. I dislike unnamed, so every dragon that leaves my lair does so with a name. Thus, I don't have to worry about unnamed dragons being exalted in my offspring lists. The problem is that people CAN'T name dragons unnamed, because it is not an allowed field, and frankly, even if all dragons showed their IDs instead of names until they were named and unnamed were an allowed name, people would STILL want to name unnamed dragons.
@Springdragon wrote on 2019-01-08 12:46:04:
I, personally, do not care about the naming status of other dragons. However, I am looking for the solution that will lead to the least number of people being unhappy.

I also like the idea of truly unnamed dragons displaying an ID number, so that people who want unnamed dragons can choose to call them "Unnamed", people who don't care can leave them as they are, buyers can still tell which dragons have a free name change, and lore players still have a unique identifier in their lineages.
The 'solution', as you put it, is for players who truly care to use the mechanic that is already available to them and follow the rules: Name any dragon before it leaves their lair and ignore any dragon that doesn't belong to them. Any dragon that isn't in your lair, or was exalted by you (and this is a general you), is none of your business, no matter where the name shows up. It belongs, solely, to the player who owns it, and since exalted dragons move flights when the person who exalted them does, exalted dragons still belong to the person who exalted them (plus the restoration feature, though limited in time, also shows that exalted dragons still belong to the player who exalted them).

Right now, judging by how many people do not support these threads (not even just suggestions but other places), the greatest number of people would be happy if players who cared about unnamed in their lineages took care of it themselves, when they are able to. I know I am happy. I dislike unnamed, so every dragon that leaves my lair does so with a name. Thus, I don't have to worry about unnamed dragons being exalted in my offspring lists.

The problem is that people CAN'T name dragons unnamed, because it is not an allowed field, and frankly, even if all dragons showed their IDs instead of names until they were named and unnamed were an allowed name, people would STILL want to name unnamed dragons.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote name="elfin" date="2019-01-08 13:02:00" ] [quote name="Springdragon" date="2019-01-08 12:46:04" ] However, I am looking for the solution that will lead to the least number of people being unhappy. [/quote] So what's wrong with the solution we have now? People who want named dragons can name them. People who want unnamed dragons keep them unnamed. People who don't care do whatever. What needs to be changed there? [/quote] The inefficiency we are trying to address is between people who want named lineages and people who don't care, while preserving the rights of people who specifically want unnamed dragons. The easiest way to do this would be to get rid of the naming limit altogether and let dragons be named and renamed whenever, then add default names. Creating names as a default will name the dragons for people who don't care while still allowing players who want unnamed dragons to deliberately remove the name at no cost. However, we can't do that because the naming requirement serves to decrease the number of coli database objects created. Alternatively, we could have a toggle, so that the people who want named lineages can turn it on and won't see any unnamed offspring on the list, even though they still exist on the rest of the site. Clearly, these people are unhappy because they keep making this suggestion. Maybe there's a way to appease them without making someone else more unhappy. Also, the price of the renaming scroll is high enough that I won't buy one. I find it annoying when people pre-name hatchlings and if I dislike the name enough, I'll home breed a duplicate, but I'm not going to suggest that only unnamed dragons can be sold at auction, because that would be asinine.
elfin wrote on 2019-01-08 13:02:00:
However, I am looking for the solution that will lead to the least number of people being unhappy.

So what's wrong with the solution we have now? People who want named dragons can name them. People who want unnamed dragons keep them unnamed. People who don't care do whatever. What needs to be changed there?

The inefficiency we are trying to address is between people who want named lineages and people who don't care, while preserving the rights of people who specifically want unnamed dragons.

The easiest way to do this would be to get rid of the naming limit altogether and let dragons be named and renamed whenever, then add default names. Creating names as a default will name the dragons for people who don't care while still allowing players who want unnamed dragons to deliberately remove the name at no cost.

However, we can't do that because the naming requirement serves to decrease the number of coli database objects created.

Alternatively, we could have a toggle, so that the people who want named lineages can turn it on and won't see any unnamed offspring on the list, even though they still exist on the rest of the site.

Clearly, these people are unhappy because they keep making this suggestion. Maybe there's a way to appease them without making someone else more unhappy.

Also, the price of the renaming scroll is high enough that I won't buy one. I find it annoying when people pre-name hatchlings and if I dislike the name enough, I'll home breed a duplicate, but I'm not going to suggest that only unnamed dragons can be sold at auction, because that would be asinine.
[quote]Also, the price of the renaming scroll is high enough that I won't buy one. I find it annoying when people pre-name hatchlings and if I dislike the name enough, I'll home breed a duplicate, but I'm not going to suggest that only unnamed dragons can be sold at auction, because that would be asinine.[/quote] It's 6K without any form of dom discount - and a single gene (Smirch) is less expensive than that. Even Basic is more expensive than a renaming scroll. They don't really qualify as expensive in the small, or big scheme of things. I think people should remove their noses out of people's exalting habits, but if they can't do that - dragons should be named before being put on the Auction House (but can be sold Unnamed in crossroads)
Quote:
Also, the price of the renaming scroll is high enough that I won't buy one. I find it annoying when people pre-name hatchlings and if I dislike the name enough, I'll home breed a duplicate, but I'm not going to suggest that only unnamed dragons can be sold at auction, because that would be asinine.

It's 6K without any form of dom discount - and a single gene (Smirch) is less expensive than that. Even Basic is more expensive than a renaming scroll.

They don't really qualify as expensive in the small, or big scheme of things.

I think people should remove their noses out of people's exalting habits, but if they can't do that - dragons should be named before being put on the Auction House (but can be sold Unnamed in crossroads)
[quote name="Springdragon" date="2019-01-08 12:46:04" ] I also like the idea of truly unnamed dragons displaying an ID number, so that people who want unnamed dragons can choose to call them "Unnamed", people who don't care can leave them as they are, buyers can still tell which dragons have a free name change, and lore players still have a unique identifier in their lineages. [/quote] This will not change the problem we are having now, and the disdain only moves to 'name your dragon before exalt so I won't have a string of numbers on my dragon's offspring'. Unless we absolutely can not exalt without a name (unnamed or other, and not id numbers), then this dilemma remains. To be honest, the only way to solve this 'problem' without disrupting everyone else's play style is by naming offspring/dragons while they are in your possession. I know you meant well, but some people out there are just trying their hardest to put the responsibility of their offspring list onto someone else's shoulders, either the buyer's or staff's, and somehow refuse to name their offspring while they can. Why? This is what puzzles me the whole time and seems really selfish. edit: [quote name="Springdragon" date="2019-01-08 14:09:56" ] The easiest way to do this would be to get rid of the naming limit altogether and let dragons be named and renamed whenever, then add default names. Creating names as a default will name the dragons for people who don't care while still allowing players who want unnamed dragons to deliberately remove the name at no cost. [/quote] While I agree this gives the largest room of freedom for everyone, unfortunately it won't 'stop' dragons being exalted unnamed. In fact it might increase the number of unnamed exalts since 'unnamed' will become a valid name, and because people can change names at will, there's no stopping people renaming dragons 'unnamed' after training for whatever reason and exalt. In other words, I really like this suggestion you came up personally. But it won't help the OP in anyway at all, unfortunately, and change the system in this way will inevitability increase the number of unnamed exalts instead of decrease. Which is fine by me, but definitely not fine by those who care about unnamed exalts. :P
I also like the idea of truly unnamed dragons displaying an ID number, so that people who want unnamed dragons can choose to call them "Unnamed", people who don't care can leave them as they are, buyers can still tell which dragons have a free name change, and lore players still have a unique identifier in their lineages.

This will not change the problem we are having now, and the disdain only moves to 'name your dragon before exalt so I won't have a string of numbers on my dragon's offspring'. Unless we absolutely can not exalt without a name (unnamed or other, and not id numbers), then this dilemma remains. To be honest, the only way to solve this 'problem' without disrupting everyone else's play style is by naming offspring/dragons while they are in your possession.

I know you meant well, but some people out there are just trying their hardest to put the responsibility of their offspring list onto someone else's shoulders, either the buyer's or staff's, and somehow refuse to name their offspring while they can. Why? This is what puzzles me the whole time and seems really selfish.

edit:
Springdragon wrote on 2019-01-08 14:09:56:
The easiest way to do this would be to get rid of the naming limit altogether and let dragons be named and renamed whenever, then add default names. Creating names as a default will name the dragons for people who don't care while still allowing players who want unnamed dragons to deliberately remove the name at no cost.
While I agree this gives the largest room of freedom for everyone, unfortunately it won't 'stop' dragons being exalted unnamed. In fact it might increase the number of unnamed exalts since 'unnamed' will become a valid name, and because people can change names at will, there's no stopping people renaming dragons 'unnamed' after training for whatever reason and exalt.

In other words, I really like this suggestion you came up personally. But it won't help the OP in anyway at all, unfortunately, and change the system in this way will inevitability increase the number of unnamed exalts instead of decrease. Which is fine by me, but definitely not fine by those who care about unnamed exalts. :P
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
[quote name="Springdragon" date="2019-01-08 14:09:56" ] The inefficiency we are trying to address is between people who want named lineages and people who don't care, while preserving the rights of people who specifically want unnamed dragons. The easiest way to do this would be to get rid of the naming limit altogether and let dragons be named and renamed whenever, then add default names. Creating names as a default will name the dragons for people who don't care while still allowing players who want unnamed dragons to deliberately remove the name at no cost.[/quote] This would still result in unnamed exalted dragons, so the 'problem' being addressed in this thread would still exist...?
Springdragon wrote on 2019-01-08 14:09:56:
The inefficiency we are trying to address is between people who want named lineages and people who don't care, while preserving the rights of people who specifically want unnamed dragons.

This would still result in unnamed exalted dragons, so the 'problem' being addressed in this thread would still exist...?
ZQGfAQY.png
[quote name="hat17" date="2019-01-08 14:15:35" ] [quote name="Springdragon" date="2019-01-08 12:46:04" ] I also like the idea of truly unnamed dragons displaying an ID number, so that people who want unnamed dragons can choose to call them "Unnamed", people who don't care can leave them as they are, buyers can still tell which dragons have a free name change, and lore players still have a unique identifier in their lineages. [/quote] This will not change the problem we are having now, and the disdain only moves to 'name your dragon before exalt so I won't have a string of numbers on my dragon's offspring'. Unless we absolutely can not exalt without a name (unnamed or other, and not id numbers), then this dilemma remains. To be honest, the only way to solve this 'problem' without disrupting everyone else's play style is by naming offspring/dragons while they are in your possession. I know you meant well, but some people out there are just trying their hardest to put the responsibility of their offspring list onto someone else's shoulders, either the buyer's or staff's, and somehow refuse to name their offspring while they can. Why? This is what puzzles me the whole time and seems really selfish. [/quote] I think they sell unnamed offspring because of a hope that someone who loves the dragon will rescue it from auction and give it a home and an identity, not due to selfishness.
hat17 wrote on 2019-01-08 14:15:35:

This will not change the problem we are having now, and the disdain only moves to 'name your dragon before exalt so I won't have a string of numbers on my dragon's offspring'. Unless we absolutely can not exalt without a name (unnamed or other, and not id numbers), then this dilemma remains. To be honest, the only way to solve this 'problem' without disrupting everyone else's play style is by naming offspring/dragons while they are in your possession.

I know you meant well, but some people out there are just trying their hardest to put the responsibility of their offspring list onto someone else's shoulders, either the buyer's or staff's, and somehow refuse to name their offspring while they can. Why? This is what puzzles me the whole time and seems really selfish.

I think they sell unnamed offspring because of a hope that someone who loves the dragon will rescue it from auction and give it a home and an identity, not due to selfishness.
[quote name="Springdragon" date="2019-01-08 14:29:56" ] [quote name="hat17" date="2019-01-08 14:15:35" ] [quote name="Springdragon" date="2019-01-08 12:46:04" ] I also like the idea of truly unnamed dragons displaying an ID number, so that people who want unnamed dragons can choose to call them "Unnamed", people who don't care can leave them as they are, buyers can still tell which dragons have a free name change, and lore players still have a unique identifier in their lineages. [/quote] This will not change the problem we are having now, and the disdain only moves to 'name your dragon before exalt so I won't have a string of numbers on my dragon's offspring'. Unless we absolutely can not exalt without a name (unnamed or other, and not id numbers), then this dilemma remains. To be honest, the only way to solve this 'problem' without disrupting everyone else's play style is by naming offspring/dragons while they are in your possession. I know you meant well, but some people out there are just trying their hardest to put the responsibility of their offspring list onto someone else's shoulders, either the buyer's or staff's, and somehow refuse to name their offspring while they can. Why? This is what puzzles me the whole time and seems really selfish. [/quote] I think they sell unnamed offspring because of a hope that someone who loves the dragon will rescue it from auction and give it a home and an identity, not due to selfishness. [/quote] That is true, but if it's an act of kindness, then they need to also know that they cannot control what is going to happen to their dragons once they left. They are giving this freedom of naming to the buyers, meaning the buyers will also have the freedom of not naming as well. I mean, there are lots of reasons why one doesn't name the dragons they own, and while giving the opportunity of naming a dragon to the buyer is kind, complaining about the buyer not returning the 'favour' is not good. People have different plans for their dragons. All I'm saying is, take responsibility while you can, and if you want to leave it to the buyers, then learn to live with the possible consequences. I don't name my offsprings when I sell, and I don't mind if they are left unnamed or being named something silly. I left that freedom to the next owner, and happy either way. If I really care I'd name my offspring first, so I don't need to bother anyone later (buyer or staff) for them to be named.
Springdragon wrote on 2019-01-08 14:29:56:
hat17 wrote on 2019-01-08 14:15:35:

I think they sell unnamed offspring because of a hope that someone who loves the dragon will rescue it from auction and give it a home and an identity, not due to selfishness.
That is true, but if it's an act of kindness, then they need to also know that they cannot control what is going to happen to their dragons once they left. They are giving this freedom of naming to the buyers, meaning the buyers will also have the freedom of not naming as well. I mean, there are lots of reasons why one doesn't name the dragons they own, and while giving the opportunity of naming a dragon to the buyer is kind, complaining about the buyer not returning the 'favour' is not good. People have different plans for their dragons. All I'm saying is, take responsibility while you can, and if you want to leave it to the buyers, then learn to live with the possible consequences.

I don't name my offsprings when I sell, and I don't mind if they are left unnamed or being named something silly. I left that freedom to the next owner, and happy either way. If I really care I'd name my offspring first, so I don't need to bother anyone later (buyer or staff) for them to be named.
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
Being fair, I'm one of those people that hate having unnamed offspring. But I just name them all before I sell, exalt or give them away. A renaming scroll really isn't that expensive in comparison to other things. I think 3 of the hatchlings I named have gotten renamed, and although it interrupted my naming themes, I love going back and seeing what someone has done with the hatching. I think the 3 that got renamed all got some kind of lore going so it was interesting :)

It's important that anyone has a choice in what they do. If people really don't like naming dragons there really shouldn't be a reason to force them.
I mean if someone asked me for a renaming scroll for a dragon they brought off me I wouldn't mind that either as it shows they will probably care for it or have some plans even if just in the short term.

Its all about choice and it's not fair to take that away from people.
Being fair, I'm one of those people that hate having unnamed offspring. But I just name them all before I sell, exalt or give them away. A renaming scroll really isn't that expensive in comparison to other things. I think 3 of the hatchlings I named have gotten renamed, and although it interrupted my naming themes, I love going back and seeing what someone has done with the hatching. I think the 3 that got renamed all got some kind of lore going so it was interesting :)

It's important that anyone has a choice in what they do. If people really don't like naming dragons there really shouldn't be a reason to force them.
I mean if someone asked me for a renaming scroll for a dragon they brought off me I wouldn't mind that either as it shows they will probably care for it or have some plans even if just in the short term.

Its all about choice and it's not fair to take that away from people.
7zcCDc4.png