Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Pinglists & More
1 2 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74
[quote name="urbancountry26" date="2023-11-02 18:12:32" ] [quote name="hungryhobbits" date="2023-11-02 09:13:05" ] @/urbancountry26 genuine response: it might help if you go through and read the dev replies by using the little [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/layout/admin_post_first.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/layout/admin_post.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/layout/admin_post_last.png[/img] at the top of the post - it might give you a good starting point where the devs address different concerns and explain more [/quote] @/hungryhobbits and at Admin in general.... I am reading and thank you.... @/Aequorin - just a thought... and I'm not big with Computing, etc... but would this whole "problem" go away by just building a system where the mass-ping lists could be controlled as some kind of in-house set of online features rather than third party processes, like I said I'm not very Tech Savvy - so this working at all may not even be a thoughtful idea.... [/quote] i am sorry if my reply came off sarcastic it genuinely wasnt meant to be but some people here really dont know about that feature and i usually start there when i see a post has blown up i think the main problem with it is that once its off site they cant control it because they have no jurisdiction, and it becomes a security breach? they're kinda doing something now about mass pinglists by not having a capped limit on how many people can be in a new feature pinglist - but this feature they made doesn't really take into account things like the skin market and various dragon orgs so idk sorry for the ping aequorin i didn't see i missed that
urbancountry26 wrote on 2023-11-02 18:12:32:
hungryhobbits wrote on 2023-11-02 09:13:05:
@/urbancountry26 genuine response: it might help if you go through and read the dev replies by using the little admin_post_first.pngadmin_post.pngadmin_post_last.png at the top of the post - it might give you a good starting point where the devs address different concerns and explain more
@/hungryhobbits
and at Admin in general.... I am reading and thank you....

@/Aequorin - just a thought... and I'm not big with Computing, etc... but would this whole
"problem" go away by just building a system where the mass-ping lists could be controlled
as some kind of in-house set of online features rather than third party processes, like I said
I'm not very Tech Savvy - so this working at all may not even be a thoughtful idea....
i am sorry if my reply came off sarcastic it genuinely wasnt meant to be but some people here really dont know about that feature and i usually start there when i see a post has blown up

i think the main problem with it is that once its off site they cant control it because they have no jurisdiction, and it becomes a security breach? they're kinda doing something now about mass pinglists by not having a capped limit on how many people can be in a new feature pinglist - but this feature they made doesn't really take into account things like the skin market and various dragon orgs so idk

sorry for the ping aequorin i didn't see i missed that
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
Loving the updates to make things easier on the site. I am not, however, understanding the reason for limiting pings- I assume that just means manual pings that are all visible outside of a site-made pinglist. I'm not an off-site pinglist user, but I know that their appeal is that they are made to be used by multiple people, so it would not work on a site-made pinglist that can only be used by its creator. Maybe an opt-in function to make a pinglist usable by other players would help, which would be warned to people subscribing to it. Otherwise, people will still want to use large public off-site pinglists, but will have to make lots of 12-ping posts instead of one big one, which would take up even more space.
Loving the updates to make things easier on the site. I am not, however, understanding the reason for limiting pings- I assume that just means manual pings that are all visible outside of a site-made pinglist. I'm not an off-site pinglist user, but I know that their appeal is that they are made to be used by multiple people, so it would not work on a site-made pinglist that can only be used by its creator. Maybe an opt-in function to make a pinglist usable by other players would help, which would be warned to people subscribing to it. Otherwise, people will still want to use large public off-site pinglists, but will have to make lots of 12-ping posts instead of one big one, which would take up even more space.
Juliet | She/Her | FR +3
FFweN5e.pnglP3A8fq.pngWHKF1eI.pngVDEbdRX.pngRytvwI2.pngTNk7xoI.png
Great updates
Great updates
tn0RSo5.pnghh5n4WA.png
3adgzZD.pngEB9jVcQ.png
6YousWl.pngqhK4FYS.png
mAiCJNJ.pngJ7D1quC.png
o_hs_006_1.pngo_hs_134_2.pngo_hs-S_038_1.pngo_hs_162_2.pngo_hs_157_2.png
3ani__758__sm.gif 3ani__026-alola__sm.gif
Looking forward to these features.
Looking forward to these features.
FR +2
she/they sidhe/fae
[quote name="Juliet42" date="2023-11-04 06:25:12" ] Loving the updates to make things easier on the site. I am not, however, understanding the reason for limiting pings- I assume that just means manual pings that are all visible outside of a site-made pinglist. I'm not an off-site pinglist user, but I know that their appeal is that they are made to be used by multiple people, so it would not work on a site-made pinglist that can only be used by its creator. Maybe an opt-in function to make a pinglist usable by other players would help, which would be warned to people subscribing to it. Otherwise, people will still want to use large public off-site pinglists, but will have to make lots of 12-ping posts instead of one big one, which would take up even more space. [/quote] As I understand it, the reason "spreadsheets on Google Drive of hundreds of Flight Rising users" have to stop being a thing is: those spreadsheets, which are open to editing from anybody, are a way that jerks can harass people by the method of [LIST=1] [*]Finding some of those spreadsheets [*]Putting their harassment target(s)' name(s) down for pings [*]Stepping back and watching the sparks fly as their target gets mad, not at them, but at the people who are being weaponized as tools of the harasser [/LIST] Since this is Really Not Okay, the Flight Rising team is going "okay, how can we replicate, as much as reasonably possible, what our users get out of Google Drive pinglists, without the issues of harassment by malicious name-adding?" Since that is a big, big project, they're [b]not[/b] setting a date for limiting the number of pings, and they [b]are[/b] soliciting feedback about what people use mass pings for, why, and what needs to be improved about the initial idea of pinglists on Flight Rising itself.
Juliet42 wrote on 2023-11-04 06:25:12:

As I understand it, the reason "spreadsheets on Google Drive of hundreds of Flight Rising users" have to stop being a thing is: those spreadsheets, which are open to editing from anybody, are a way that jerks can harass people by the method of
  1. Finding some of those spreadsheets
  2. Putting their harassment target(s)' name(s) down for pings
  3. Stepping back and watching the sparks fly as their target gets mad, not at them, but at the people who are being weaponized as tools of the harasser
Since this is Really Not Okay, the Flight Rising team is going "okay, how can we replicate, as much as reasonably possible, what our users get out of Google Drive pinglists, without the issues of harassment by malicious name-adding?" Since that is a big, big project, they're not setting a date for limiting the number of pings, and they are soliciting feedback about what people use mass pings for, why, and what needs to be improved about the initial idea of pinglists on Flight Rising itself.
omg
omg
My twin and I run a rescue together. Is their a way or will their possibly be a way in the future for her to use the pinglists I created for our rescue? I'd love to give my twin (shared) admin control of my pinglists. If not it's totally okay, I'm thinking it probably won't be possible but it doesn't hurt to ask.
My twin and I run a rescue together. Is their a way or will their possibly be a way in the future for her to use the pinglists I created for our rescue? I'd love to give my twin (shared) admin control of my pinglists. If not it's totally okay, I'm thinking it probably won't be possible but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Shadowmancer/Wishlist1q7diA4.jpegSoZXwdQ.png
it would be nice if a pinglist creator could select and add more pinglist owners. That way multiple people could use the same pinglist in a controlled and organized manner.
it would be nice if a pinglist creator could select and add more pinglist owners. That way multiple people could use the same pinglist in a controlled and organized manner.
0n0xvdO.pngwind_acebling_by_cicide76536-dcipnl9.gifTOd95AF.png
Could I suggest maybe introducing a way to limit how many people can sign up for a pinglist? Thinking about how skin artists like myself use pinglists to do print runs and it would be useful to limit a pinglist for a certain skin to, say, 5 or 10 slots in accordance with the numbers blueprint packs come in.
Could I suggest maybe introducing a way to limit how many people can sign up for a pinglist? Thinking about how skin artists like myself use pinglists to do print runs and it would be useful to limit a pinglist for a certain skin to, say, 5 or 10 slots in accordance with the numbers blueprint packs come in.
| Skin Shop |
What if users can opt-in to owners adding them to their pinglists? Similarly to how you can toggle being seen as online or always being invisible. Users can be added to pinglists or not by default, then if they want to be pinged they can add themselves to lists or turn on the feature and maybe ask someone else to add them to their list.
What if users can opt-in to owners adding them to their pinglists? Similarly to how you can toggle being seen as online or always being invisible. Users can be added to pinglists or not by default, then if they want to be pinged they can add themselves to lists or turn on the feature and maybe ask someone else to add them to their list.
WpjbI2U.gif
1 2 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74