Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Same Gender Breeding
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
So, I'm sure this has been suggested before, but it'd be cool to be able to breed dragons of the same gender. I don't know how hard it would be to implement, but some of my dragons would make such cute babies(!!!!!) and I cant breed them.
Possible rules/restrictions for it:
Both dragons have to be the same breed
All babies will be the same gender as the parents
A limit on the amount of eggs you can get
Etc
Like there could be rules/restrictions or whatnot for it (I'm not saying there has to be, just that there can be rules/restrictions and it might make breeding more interesting depending on what they are) (I say this as someone who's favorite part of this game is the babies I can get by breeding lol), it's just frustrating that I can use forsee progeny for 2 dragons of the same gender but I cant actually have any of the adorable babies.
So, I'm sure this has been suggested before, but it'd be cool to be able to breed dragons of the same gender. I don't know how hard it would be to implement, but some of my dragons would make such cute babies(!!!!!) and I cant breed them.
Possible rules/restrictions for it:
Both dragons have to be the same breed
All babies will be the same gender as the parents
A limit on the amount of eggs you can get
Etc
Like there could be rules/restrictions or whatnot for it (I'm not saying there has to be, just that there can be rules/restrictions and it might make breeding more interesting depending on what they are) (I say this as someone who's favorite part of this game is the babies I can get by breeding lol), it's just frustrating that I can use forsee progeny for 2 dragons of the same gender but I cant actually have any of the adorable babies.
As a heads up, this is likely to get a lot of very heated "No Supports". Gotta love it here...

Anyways, I feel like this is one of those "maybe would've been ok in 2013, but too much time has gone by for things to switch up this far" suggestions. There's been 11 years of having to play by the "gotta be different mechanical sexes" and 5 of having to play by the Ancient/Modern separation. Bit late in the game to shake things up too badly.

That said, there are real life species which only have females, so there's precedent to that extent. Boy howdy would people be mad if they could breed two gals but not two guys, though!

So I don't think I support atm, but my mind could probably be changed with the right argument.
(Btw, the main argument against this is likely to be "But muh challenge!", if you want to pre-empt that)
As a heads up, this is likely to get a lot of very heated "No Supports". Gotta love it here...

Anyways, I feel like this is one of those "maybe would've been ok in 2013, but too much time has gone by for things to switch up this far" suggestions. There's been 11 years of having to play by the "gotta be different mechanical sexes" and 5 of having to play by the Ancient/Modern separation. Bit late in the game to shake things up too badly.

That said, there are real life species which only have females, so there's precedent to that extent. Boy howdy would people be mad if they could breed two gals but not two guys, though!

So I don't think I support atm, but my mind could probably be changed with the right argument.
(Btw, the main argument against this is likely to be "But muh challenge!", if you want to pre-empt that)
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, if you have a response to what I said!
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

But outright deleting one of two entire breeding mechanics to consider in pairings (the other being shared bloodlines within 5 gens) is a hard no-go for me
Get dragons of opposite sex and silhouette scroll one if you want the aesthetic of same-sex offspring

But outright deleting one of two entire breeding mechanics to consider in pairings (the other being shared bloodlines within 5 gens) is a hard no-go for me
sBdLZtA.png
Uhm... no support. I have nothing against dragons of the same gender breeding together, as you can attribute any gender to the dragons you own and silhouette scrolls exist (and so does trans people!). But two dragons of the same sex is something that feels too biologically impossible. Yes, as someone commented above, there are some species that are an exception to this rule. But the breeding mechanics of Flight Rising have already stablished for the longest time that you need one male and one female dragon in order to produce offspring, so I'm inclined to believe that the dragons of Flight Rising are not within the exception, but within the rule.
Uhm... no support. I have nothing against dragons of the same gender breeding together, as you can attribute any gender to the dragons you own and silhouette scrolls exist (and so does trans people!). But two dragons of the same sex is something that feels too biologically impossible. Yes, as someone commented above, there are some species that are an exception to this rule. But the breeding mechanics of Flight Rising have already stablished for the longest time that you need one male and one female dragon in order to produce offspring, so I'm inclined to believe that the dragons of Flight Rising are not within the exception, but within the rule.
No support, but for different reasons.

One of the primary aspects of this game is breeding dragons, and given how customizable our dragons already are (modifying breed, genes, eye type, flight*), the restrictions still in place (colors**, sex, lineage) aid in the challenge, from a gameplay standpoint, of getting the offspring that you want. And, IMO, that challenge is necessary to maintain the fun and the surprise of what you get.

I don't think Flight Rising requires breeding to occur between a male and a female dragon for biological or lore reasons. If same-sex breeding was allowed, I think it would make breeding + searching for the perfect partner for a breeding project to become too easy. Challenges like these are frustrating, yes, but they also give players a goal to work towards.

I wouldn't mind a unisex Ancient, though.

* Nest rental services can make the flight of your offspring customizable
** Scatterscrolls make colors customizable, kind of
No support, but for different reasons.

One of the primary aspects of this game is breeding dragons, and given how customizable our dragons already are (modifying breed, genes, eye type, flight*), the restrictions still in place (colors**, sex, lineage) aid in the challenge, from a gameplay standpoint, of getting the offspring that you want. And, IMO, that challenge is necessary to maintain the fun and the surprise of what you get.

I don't think Flight Rising requires breeding to occur between a male and a female dragon for biological or lore reasons. If same-sex breeding was allowed, I think it would make breeding + searching for the perfect partner for a breeding project to become too easy. Challenges like these are frustrating, yes, but they also give players a goal to work towards.

I wouldn't mind a unisex Ancient, though.

* Nest rental services can make the flight of your offspring customizable
** Scatterscrolls make colors customizable, kind of
Slight-Eyewing.png __
they / he +2hr

xjB7OSe.png
mAiCJNJ.png
__ __ TVPeCAO.png __ Enchanted-Libra.png
[quote name="GodlyDevastation" date="2024-06-20 22:30:52" ] -snip- it's just frustrating that I can use forsee progeny for 2 dragons of the same gender but I cant actually have any of the adorable babies.[/quote] You can also forsee progeny of dragons who are too closely related. Pretty results doesn't mean breeding dragons with anything should be allowed.
GodlyDevastation wrote on 2024-06-20 22:30:52:
-snip-

it's just frustrating that I can use forsee progeny for 2 dragons of the same gender but I cant actually have any of the adorable babies.

You can also forsee progeny of dragons who are too closely related. Pretty results doesn't mean breeding dragons with anything should be allowed.
c1xnUU3.png
JrZGMGx.png4SzSxLW.pngHouhGS9.pngwCOCqt3.pngbYt72YT.pngFObX7rS.png
Same sex? No. Same gender? Already possible >>
Same sex? No. Same gender? Already possible >>
There will be something here. Eventually.
No support. Not only would this be a massive retcon, the mechanic of breeding would have to be reworked (same reason a gender change item is not already added even though something like Lorwolf has it- the breeding system in FR would have to be recoded.) Also, it's very unrealistic, which obviously doesn't mean much when you have giant magic lizards that lay eggs via magic, but I would still prefer some degree of realism.
No support. Not only would this be a massive retcon, the mechanic of breeding would have to be reworked (same reason a gender change item is not already added even though something like Lorwolf has it- the breeding system in FR would have to be recoded.) Also, it's very unrealistic, which obviously doesn't mean much when you have giant magic lizards that lay eggs via magic, but I would still prefer some degree of realism.
RSUsSvx.png
Support. I highly doubt a same sex breeding system would trivialize breeding because having the right sex dragons is only one facet of getting your perfect dragon. It wouldn't make dream colors more likely or gem genes having a higher chance of being passed down. I think allowing same sex breeding would only slightly reduce the challenge of breeding/make it less frustrating. I mean, scrolls and eye vials haven't rendered breeding obsolete so I don't think allowing dragons of the same sex to breed would either. There's also the fact that if you'd like a challenge then you don't have to breed two male or two female dragons together. [quote name="Rocheux" date="2024-06-21 06:25:32" ] But two dragons of the same sex is something that feels too biologically impossible. [/quote] [quote name="JadeJester22" date="2024-06-21 08:33:16" ] Also, it's very unrealistic, which obviously doesn't mean much when you have giant magic lizards that lay eggs via magic, but I would still prefer some degree of realism. [/quote] I find it baffling when people say no support to suggestions like these for realism reasons. Two male dragons produce eggs is apparently too unrealistic but a male guardian and a female fae that is 1/10th their partner's size producing offspring via magic that are larger at birth than their mother is okay? Sure...
Support. I highly doubt a same sex breeding system would trivialize breeding because having the right sex dragons is only one facet of getting your perfect dragon. It wouldn't make dream colors more likely or gem genes having a higher chance of being passed down. I think allowing same sex breeding would only slightly reduce the challenge of breeding/make it less frustrating. I mean, scrolls and eye vials haven't rendered breeding obsolete so I don't think allowing dragons of the same sex to breed would either.

There's also the fact that if you'd like a challenge then you don't have to breed two male or two female dragons together.

Rocheux wrote on 2024-06-21 06:25:32:
But two dragons of the same sex is something that feels too biologically impossible.
JadeJester22 wrote on 2024-06-21 08:33:16:
Also, it's very unrealistic, which obviously doesn't mean much when you have giant magic lizards that lay eggs via magic, but I would still prefer some degree of realism.
I find it baffling when people say no support to suggestions like these for realism reasons. Two male dragons produce eggs is apparently too unrealistic but a male guardian and a female fae that is 1/10th their partner's size producing offspring via magic that are larger at birth than their mother is okay? Sure...
- G1s for sale
- LF any combo of abyss, copper, spruce and other dream g1s
[quote]I find it baffling when people say no support to suggestions like these for realism reasons. Two male dragons produce eggs is apparently too unrealistic but a male guardian and a female fae that is 1/10th their partner's size producing offspring via magic that are larger at birth than their mother is okay? Sure...[/quote] What I find baffling is how freaky people have to be to look at magical creatures that use magic in a magic world and think "no they definitely have to do adult stuff" Besides you're ignoring that as egg laying creatures, fertilization can and often do happen outside of the body, there's no need for traumatic stuff like what you're imagining to happen You're also ignoring that it is, in fact, perfectly possible for animal of the same species with different sizes to breed. Ain't too healthy nor safe when we are talking about mammals and animals that give birth, but say, there's no genetic wall that stops a chihuahua and a great dane to produce offspring. Also, again, if we're talking about egg laying, you're also ignoring that some species can and in fact do produce and lay eggs nearly the size of their own adult bodies If you want to make same sex dragons to be able to breed, might as well advocate for being able to spawn offspring without a partner at all, because the principle and the mechanics involved are exactly the same: Spawning offspring with only half of what you need. If you're not happy with a mechanic that is essential to the game since always, you're free to find another game that allows you to fo whatever you want. Just don't come spoiling what people like for the way it is. There are plenty of games and pet sites out there that allow you to spawn offspring out of the blue, in all the freaky ways you might like. [b]No support, at all[/b]
Quote:
I find it baffling when people say no support to suggestions like these for realism reasons. Two male dragons produce eggs is apparently too unrealistic but a male guardian and a female fae that is 1/10th their partner's size producing offspring via magic that are larger at birth than their mother is okay? Sure...

What I find baffling is how freaky people have to be to look at magical creatures that use magic in a magic world and think "no they definitely have to do adult stuff"

Besides you're ignoring that as egg laying creatures, fertilization can and often do happen outside of the body, there's no need for traumatic stuff like what you're imagining to happen

You're also ignoring that it is, in fact, perfectly possible for animal of the same species with different sizes to breed. Ain't too healthy nor safe when we are talking about mammals and animals that give birth, but say, there's no genetic wall that stops a chihuahua and a great dane to produce offspring.

Also, again, if we're talking about egg laying, you're also ignoring that some species can and in fact do produce and lay eggs nearly the size of their own adult bodies

If you want to make same sex dragons to be able to breed, might as well advocate for being able to spawn offspring without a partner at all, because the principle and the mechanics involved are exactly the same: Spawning offspring with only half of what you need.

If you're not happy with a mechanic that is essential to the game since always, you're free to find another game that allows you to fo whatever you want. Just don't come spoiling what people like for the way it is. There are plenty of games and pet sites out there that allow you to spawn offspring out of the blue, in all the freaky ways you might like.

No support, at all
1 2 3 4 5 6 7