Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | How did you pick your lore/theme?
1 2 3 4 5
I like playing with different situations and personalities, so that was where I started. Gos keeps track of who I've written for; there's no real cohesion, just a bunch of individuals dealing as best they can with the situations they face. There's a Snapper who took her nighttime wanderings outside, ended up intercepting a forest fire, and now her job is patrolling the forests at night. There's an Obelisk who turns into a giant plushie instead of a statue. And sometimes personal stuff gets into the lore too. Aberrations dropped around the time I hit a crisis point in the career I'd spent twenty years in; what I'd been doing was about to wreck me, and I needed to find my own path. So Dawnsinger got dragged into the mess as a stand-in for my soul-searching.

But they can't all exist in a vacuum, so I had to sketch out a setting in which all these different personalities could coexist. I've kept it loose so that I can work stuff in as I go along. And because I want to enjoy my writing, I deliberately excluded the factors that bother me the most in the real world: crowding, scarcity, and mean people. There are still arguments, and differences of opinion, and individuals who Aren't Talking To That Guy Because of Whatever-it-was, and a well-meaning doofus who's like a bull in a china shop both physically and socially. Stories without some kind of conflict are kind of boring, after all. But in a world where even the smallest dragons can command enough magic to knock a larger dragon through a wall, it stands to reason that in a community there'd be a lot of social pressure against pushing anyone to that point. And likewise, pressure against overreacting.
I like playing with different situations and personalities, so that was where I started. Gos keeps track of who I've written for; there's no real cohesion, just a bunch of individuals dealing as best they can with the situations they face. There's a Snapper who took her nighttime wanderings outside, ended up intercepting a forest fire, and now her job is patrolling the forests at night. There's an Obelisk who turns into a giant plushie instead of a statue. And sometimes personal stuff gets into the lore too. Aberrations dropped around the time I hit a crisis point in the career I'd spent twenty years in; what I'd been doing was about to wreck me, and I needed to find my own path. So Dawnsinger got dragged into the mess as a stand-in for my soul-searching.

But they can't all exist in a vacuum, so I had to sketch out a setting in which all these different personalities could coexist. I've kept it loose so that I can work stuff in as I go along. And because I want to enjoy my writing, I deliberately excluded the factors that bother me the most in the real world: crowding, scarcity, and mean people. There are still arguments, and differences of opinion, and individuals who Aren't Talking To That Guy Because of Whatever-it-was, and a well-meaning doofus who's like a bull in a china shop both physically and socially. Stories without some kind of conflict are kind of boring, after all. But in a world where even the smallest dragons can command enough magic to knock a larger dragon through a wall, it stands to reason that in a community there'd be a lot of social pressure against pushing anyone to that point. And likewise, pressure against overreacting.
riVr93C.png
I started with a generic fantasy adventure hook cause I loved fantasy. Young protagonist with a desire to explore finds a reason to. In this case, it was a search for parents.

I also had to come up with a reason why my progen started a clan and I decided that they wanted to meet the Windsinger, who is notoriously all over the place. To attract his attention, Lady Ashmane would have to gain renown as a clan.

Everything started to really kick off when I opened my first Slare Inventory Crate. I got myself a Brightshine Raiments, which was a piece of light apparel that fit my progen perfectly. Now at first I was going to go down the Autumn windy route. But it looked so good on her that I just eventually switched gear and said she's both light and wind. Which kick started the whole central theme of the mystery of the dual element dragons, a concept which is supposed to be impossible on Sornieth.

So I guess to answer your question, I just kept adding more and more until I had something really meaty and intriguing to work with. I found working with site lore really beneficial, because it means there were facts about my dragon that already exists solely due to who they were. Stuff about their species, and parents, and elements etc. Really helps cause it gives you something to build from. And by using site lore, I could also create something interesting because I had something that site lore said shouldn't be a thing.
I started with a generic fantasy adventure hook cause I loved fantasy. Young protagonist with a desire to explore finds a reason to. In this case, it was a search for parents.

I also had to come up with a reason why my progen started a clan and I decided that they wanted to meet the Windsinger, who is notoriously all over the place. To attract his attention, Lady Ashmane would have to gain renown as a clan.

Everything started to really kick off when I opened my first Slare Inventory Crate. I got myself a Brightshine Raiments, which was a piece of light apparel that fit my progen perfectly. Now at first I was going to go down the Autumn windy route. But it looked so good on her that I just eventually switched gear and said she's both light and wind. Which kick started the whole central theme of the mystery of the dual element dragons, a concept which is supposed to be impossible on Sornieth.

So I guess to answer your question, I just kept adding more and more until I had something really meaty and intriguing to work with. I found working with site lore really beneficial, because it means there were facts about my dragon that already exists solely due to who they were. Stuff about their species, and parents, and elements etc. Really helps cause it gives you something to build from. And by using site lore, I could also create something interesting because I had something that site lore said shouldn't be a thing.
Come visit my lore lair! It's a fun time here.

Something strange is happening on Sornieth. All across the world, dragons have begun to be born with multiple elements. How? Why? As dragons all across Sornieth takes notice, the wheel of fate begins to turn, as one fae's search for her mysterious origins leads her down a path that could change Sornieth forever.
I started out directionless with my lair themes and lore. I knew vaguely I wanted my clan to be embody the various elements as they are in nature, but that was it. I invested hundreds of thousands if not millions of treasure on project dragons that no longer fit my lair today.

I think it wasn't until 2021, when I had more dragons that I started realizing what I liked and gravitated towards: wind, water, nature and light-themes, and colorful, bright tropical dragons. I started scrying projects and used image editing programs to "layout" the various dragon designs I came up with to see how they would look together. I grouped them by color and theme and that gave me a clear visual direction for my clan.

2 years later, most of those projects are complete, and I ended up with 6 subclans (themed tabs): Wind flight dragons (pure), Water flight dragons (pure), plant and floral dragons (wind, water, nature, light), musicians, balladeers and bards (wind and light), fire dancers and stunt fliers (wind and fire) and dragon-koi (wind and water). It is only this year I started getting ideas for lore to weave these subclans and themes together as a collective sanctuary known as the Ascendant Haven, spanning the peaks, cliffs, valleys and shores of the Reedcleft Ascent. I'm still in the really early stages of lore-building, but I'm really happy with where my lair is right now. It took four years for me to get here. I did not necessarily know where my lair would go all the time - I just followed what I liked, visually, thematically and with lore, and ironed things out along the way.

I made a lot of oopsies (again, that costed me millions of treasure) in that time, but I guess my willingness to make those mistakes kept me from worrying too much and allowed me to experiment a lot.
I started out directionless with my lair themes and lore. I knew vaguely I wanted my clan to be embody the various elements as they are in nature, but that was it. I invested hundreds of thousands if not millions of treasure on project dragons that no longer fit my lair today.

I think it wasn't until 2021, when I had more dragons that I started realizing what I liked and gravitated towards: wind, water, nature and light-themes, and colorful, bright tropical dragons. I started scrying projects and used image editing programs to "layout" the various dragon designs I came up with to see how they would look together. I grouped them by color and theme and that gave me a clear visual direction for my clan.

2 years later, most of those projects are complete, and I ended up with 6 subclans (themed tabs): Wind flight dragons (pure), Water flight dragons (pure), plant and floral dragons (wind, water, nature, light), musicians, balladeers and bards (wind and light), fire dancers and stunt fliers (wind and fire) and dragon-koi (wind and water). It is only this year I started getting ideas for lore to weave these subclans and themes together as a collective sanctuary known as the Ascendant Haven, spanning the peaks, cliffs, valleys and shores of the Reedcleft Ascent. I'm still in the really early stages of lore-building, but I'm really happy with where my lair is right now. It took four years for me to get here. I did not necessarily know where my lair would go all the time - I just followed what I liked, visually, thematically and with lore, and ironed things out along the way.

I made a lot of oopsies (again, that costed me millions of treasure) in that time, but I guess my willingness to make those mistakes kept me from worrying too much and allowed me to experiment a lot.
. . . . . . . . . riVr93C.png . . . .
Shalom aleichem

FR+15 ... she/her
Color coordinated for the most part. I want to separate moderns and ancients for lore reasons. Most ancients will be hard at work in the sunken library of prophecies! But there are exceptions to the rule. Aberration Salvage likes to hang with the modern crowd.

The main town is gonna be most of my moderns. I also am going to have a traveling ship of (mostly if not all) Fathoms, which is still in development since they literally just released.

Lore is VERY wip and I am very much aware of that. I want to finish my projects gene-wise before starting any storytelling lol. But the stories I do have are based around characters first. By making little areas for the dragons to work and live in; I get to make up the kind of other dragons they will meet along the way. So my lore, at its core, is all these different kinds of dragons teaching each other to be their best selves. Or, that’s what I hope it will be.
Color coordinated for the most part. I want to separate moderns and ancients for lore reasons. Most ancients will be hard at work in the sunken library of prophecies! But there are exceptions to the rule. Aberration Salvage likes to hang with the modern crowd.

The main town is gonna be most of my moderns. I also am going to have a traveling ship of (mostly if not all) Fathoms, which is still in development since they literally just released.

Lore is VERY wip and I am very much aware of that. I want to finish my projects gene-wise before starting any storytelling lol. But the stories I do have are based around characters first. By making little areas for the dragons to work and live in; I get to make up the kind of other dragons they will meet along the way. So my lore, at its core, is all these different kinds of dragons teaching each other to be their best selves. Or, that’s what I hope it will be.
Fishes __ she/her | +3 FR time
wishlist | avatar
____
c7f927562db794324e2d8df76f939ee553b9c321.png
1 2 3 4 5