Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Oral Tradition: History vs Mythohistory
1 2 3
[quote name="Dragonfire546" date="2024-04-17 16:26:58" ] [quote name="@Aequorin" date="2024-04-17 16:17:00" ] [quote name="PunkNoctis" date="2024-04-17 16:08:52" ] doesn't actually fix the fact that a "skilled Dusthide historian" is described as inaccurately preserving historical events. [/quote] @/PunkNoctis, I think there's been a terrible misunderstanding. [quote]A skilled Dusthide historian can keep the most fidgety hatchlings (and adults!) riveted through tales of joy, heartbreak, adventure, or tragedy alike. [/quote] Would it better perhaps to describe them as “storytellers” rather than “historians?” Historians are typically assumed to be accurate, storytellers not necessarily. That might help The line about the historian is referencing their skills at teaching and keeping a dragon with excitable tendencies focused. [/quote] [/quote] Personally, I think a better solution would be to describe their skills as historians and skills as storytellers more separately, so as to preserve the ideas that Dusthide historians are very good at passing on oral history in addition to being skilled at storytelling. After all, the two aren’t mutually exclusive; you can be good at keeping information throughout time and also good at relaying information to others in an engaging way. The important distinction is whether the primary goal is accuracy, like oral history, or entertainment/teaching, like in bedtime stories, fables, etc. It seems like most of the confusion is coming from the simultaneous discussion of both in general; it’s easy to misconstrue it as the same thing being discussed when the existence of an oral history is revealed almost immediately following a description of how their accounts of certain events can differ among individuals. The idea of things being changed or inconsistent between speakers naturally carries over to expectations of their oral history due to a lack of anything that clearly makes a distinction between that thought and the previous one. Perhaps a line or two could be added that more or less communicates the fact that, though personal accounts of some events may differ between Dusthides, the collective oral history passed down in a lair or family is meticulously maintained from generation to generation? It maintains the detail that they may embellish, perform, or otherwise tell stories in their own way that makes them particularly engaging, but without leaving room for the misconception that their oral history will similarly have that potential to change based on which historian is teaching it. That’s just my thoughts, though. I realize it isn’t the easiest to communicate “Dusthides are very good storytellers” and “Dusthide historians are dedicated to teaching their oral history” in a succinct manner when there isn’t a ton of room to elaborate on those facets of the breed separately.
Dragonfire546 wrote on 2024-04-17 16:26:58:
@Aequorin wrote on 2024-04-17 16:17:00:
PunkNoctis wrote on 2024-04-17 16:08:52:
doesn't actually fix the fact that a "skilled Dusthide historian" is described as inaccurately preserving historical events.

@/PunkNoctis, I think there's been a terrible misunderstanding.
Quote:
A skilled Dusthide historian can keep the most fidgety hatchlings (and adults!) riveted through tales of joy, heartbreak, adventure, or tragedy alike.

Would it better perhaps to describe them as “storytellers” rather than “historians?” Historians are typically assumed to be accurate, storytellers not necessarily. That might help

The line about the historian is referencing their skills at teaching and keeping a dragon with excitable tendencies focused.

Personally, I think a better solution would be to describe their skills as historians and skills as storytellers more separately, so as to preserve the ideas that Dusthide historians are very good at passing on oral history in addition to being skilled at storytelling. After all, the two aren’t mutually exclusive; you can be good at keeping information throughout time and also good at relaying information to others in an engaging way. The important distinction is whether the primary goal is accuracy, like oral history, or entertainment/teaching, like in bedtime stories, fables, etc.

It seems like most of the confusion is coming from the simultaneous discussion of both in general; it’s easy to misconstrue it as the same thing being discussed when the existence of an oral history is revealed almost immediately following a description of how their accounts of certain events can differ among individuals. The idea of things being changed or inconsistent between speakers naturally carries over to expectations of their oral history due to a lack of anything that clearly makes a distinction between that thought and the previous one.

Perhaps a line or two could be added that more or less communicates the fact that, though personal accounts of some events may differ between Dusthides, the collective oral history passed down in a lair or family is meticulously maintained from generation to generation? It maintains the detail that they may embellish, perform, or otherwise tell stories in their own way that makes them particularly engaging, but without leaving room for the misconception that their oral history will similarly have that potential to change based on which historian is teaching it.

That’s just my thoughts, though. I realize it isn’t the easiest to communicate “Dusthides are very good storytellers” and “Dusthide historians are dedicated to teaching their oral history” in a succinct manner when there isn’t a ton of room to elaborate on those facets of the breed separately.
SpectralDragon had a good and valid point, and I see the issue has been clarified. Some of the rest of you though? Really going off the rails there with the assumptions being made about Dusthides. Do you see their hands? There's no way they're holding writing utensils. So why don't they then scratch markings into stone? Their burrows are described as reaching massive proportions. Keeping written records of history does not make sense for their lifestyle. Also, written history isn't necessarily superior - [i]or[/i] inferior - to oral history. I don't get where anyone saw that implied in the breed article. The arguments being made here feel like they're grasping at logical straws. [emoji=dusthide deadpan size=1]
SpectralDragon had a good and valid point, and I see the issue has been clarified.

Some of the rest of you though? Really going off the rails there with the assumptions being made about Dusthides. Do you see their hands? There's no way they're holding writing utensils. So why don't they then scratch markings into stone? Their burrows are described as reaching massive proportions. Keeping written records of history does not make sense for their lifestyle.
Also, written history isn't necessarily superior - or inferior - to oral history. I don't get where anyone saw that implied in the breed article.

The arguments being made here feel like they're grasping at logical straws.
1f7Wab5.png x F5AeglI.png x x
x
x
< - avatar
x

ahzidal (captain)
they / them
about
All right, it's been a long day and as this thread is a topic ripe for trolls and rule-violating discussion, we're going to go ahead and lock this thread now. Additional feedback regarding the Dusthide Dragons breed article should be sent to us directly through [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/site/contact-us]Contact Us.[/url][/b] To recap: [list][*]Dusthide traditions were not inspired by nor did we reference indigenous traditions. [*]The general populace can get recounting incorrect due to their rollicking nature; however the Dusthide in general have great respect for and celebrate storytelling. [*]Dusthide historians are skilled and can keep an excitable group of dragons focused. [*]We are looking into further clarifying the difference between the general nature of Dusthide and their historians to further reduce confusion.[/list] Thank you for your feedback and we hope this information helps.
All right, it's been a long day and as this thread is a topic ripe for trolls and rule-violating discussion, we're going to go ahead and lock this thread now. Additional feedback regarding the Dusthide Dragons breed article should be sent to us directly through Contact Us.

To recap:
  • Dusthide traditions were not inspired by nor did we reference indigenous traditions.
  • The general populace can get recounting incorrect due to their rollicking nature; however the Dusthide in general have great respect for and celebrate storytelling.
  • Dusthide historians are skilled and can keep an excitable group of dragons focused.
  • We are looking into further clarifying the difference between the general nature of Dusthide and their historians to further reduce confusion.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope this information helps.
1 2 3