Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Book Recommendations
I haven't seen a book recommendation post in a while. So I decided to make a new one. I know we sometimes hit that wall where we either run of things to read, nothing seems interesting, or you're wanting to explore new genres but don't know where to start. So drop your recommendations below! Leave a small synopsis and why you recommend the book.

I can't wait to see all the wonderful books you recommend!
I haven't seen a book recommendation post in a while. So I decided to make a new one. I know we sometimes hit that wall where we either run of things to read, nothing seems interesting, or you're wanting to explore new genres but don't know where to start. So drop your recommendations below! Leave a small synopsis and why you recommend the book.

I can't wait to see all the wonderful books you recommend!
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz’s crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don’t kill each other first.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23437156-six-of-crows

I absolutely loved this book, easy read, great characters in a good setting.
easy 5/5
Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz’s crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don’t kill each other first.

easy 5/5
I just finished The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino. If you're looking for a different take on a mystery novel, I recommend this!

I chose it at the library because of a blurb that said something like "a modern day Poirot", and while I feel that could be debatable, I definitely see how they arrived at that conclusion. It's a really interesting portrait of human emotion, and I'm looking forward to checking out the rest of the series.

Definitely content warnings for mystery-genre things, you can check book warnings with or without spoilers on the storygraph.
I just finished The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino. If you're looking for a different take on a mystery novel, I recommend this!

I chose it at the library because of a blurb that said something like "a modern day Poirot", and while I feel that could be debatable, I definitely see how they arrived at that conclusion. It's a really interesting portrait of human emotion, and I'm looking forward to checking out the rest of the series.

Definitely content warnings for mystery-genre things, you can check book warnings with or without spoilers on the storygraph.
11-nature-charm.png
Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon !!! My absolute top favorite book of all of 2023. In the simplest of terms, it follows 3 female leads as they all attempt to circumvent the circumstances of the world ending via the return of the big evil dragon -- whose name i don't recall lol. It's safe to say we're probably all dragon people here so I would 100% recommend to anyone. Also there's a slow burn sapphic relationship (which is written [emoji=rainbow star 2 size=1]) but isn't a main focus of the story if you're not too keen on romance.
Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon !!!

My absolute top favorite book of all of 2023. In the simplest of terms, it follows 3 female leads as they all attempt to circumvent the circumstances of the world ending via the return of the big evil dragon -- whose name i don't recall lol. It's safe to say we're probably all dragon people here so I would 100% recommend to anyone. Also there's a slow burn sapphic relationship (which is written ) but isn't a main focus of the story if you're not too keen on romance.
rRFsVIp.gif

molls
she/her
est +3:00
Heyyyyy

in my sig is a link to my book club~
Heyyyyy

in my sig is a link to my book club~
1RsBrUA.pngu0zgn1V.pngWFhlmNb.pngOVImhZU.pngBCSOpq7.png
[quote name="Loiz" date="2024-03-03 05:21:04" ] Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz’s crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don’t kill each other first. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23437156-six-of-crows I absolutely loved this book, easy read, great characters in a good setting. easy 5/5 [/quote] I might have to pick this one up. I keep hearing good things about it from booktubers.
Loiz wrote on 2024-03-03 05:21:04:

easy 5/5

I might have to pick this one up. I keep hearing good things about it from booktubers.
The Dwarves series by Markus Heitz.

Seriously I tell everyone who grants me a minute of their time about these books, hahah.
Really good and sometimes very dark fantasy. There is also a book series that kind of plays parallel to the dwarves series, about the "dark elves" in the same universe.
It's called Legends of the Alfar. Perfect if you want to read about evil protagonists for a change.

For DnD or Baldurs Gate fans: Anything about the drow elf Drizzt Do'Urden by R.A. Salvatore.
The Dwarves series by Markus Heitz.

Seriously I tell everyone who grants me a minute of their time about these books, hahah.
Really good and sometimes very dark fantasy. There is also a book series that kind of plays parallel to the dwarves series, about the "dark elves" in the same universe.
It's called Legends of the Alfar. Perfect if you want to read about evil protagonists for a change.

For DnD or Baldurs Gate fans: Anything about the drow elf Drizzt Do'Urden by R.A. Salvatore.
2aoyUTU.png My wood carvings

Got ancients?
o4KdtaP.png
dEe2UrM.png
TB6EYwU.png
or7Yz8j.png
AQPJNOh.png
oczO35g.png
PeIaJVR.png
mmoRz30.png
uVEyOnT.png
Market of Monsters series by Rebecca Schaeffer
- Not even Bones
- Only Ashes Remain
- When Villains Rise

Easy 5/5 in my opinion. Sadly you have to look this up yourself. I can´t give you here any specific description since the book is very gory but it´s super addicting and impossible to put down. Worth checking out! There is even Webtoon comics for it!

And her other duology City of Nightmares
- City of Nightmares
- Cage of Dreams

Another 5/5. I was hooked from page one and finished it in one go. Same with the second part. To put it shortly it´s a story about where people turn into their worst nightmares. They had to drink chemically treated water that prevents them from turning in their sleep. If they forgot to drink it then yeah...
In City of Nightmares you follow a story of a 19 years old woman who is terrified of nightmares since her big sister transformed into a giant spider and ate their father.

If you want to read something unique then I can definitelly recommend her books!
Market of Monsters series by Rebecca Schaeffer
- Not even Bones
- Only Ashes Remain
- When Villains Rise

Easy 5/5 in my opinion. Sadly you have to look this up yourself. I can´t give you here any specific description since the book is very gory but it´s super addicting and impossible to put down. Worth checking out! There is even Webtoon comics for it!

And her other duology City of Nightmares
- City of Nightmares
- Cage of Dreams

Another 5/5. I was hooked from page one and finished it in one go. Same with the second part. To put it shortly it´s a story about where people turn into their worst nightmares. They had to drink chemically treated water that prevents them from turning in their sleep. If they forgot to drink it then yeah...
In City of Nightmares you follow a story of a 19 years old woman who is terrified of nightmares since her big sister transformed into a giant spider and ate their father.

If you want to read something unique then I can definitelly recommend her books!
Anything by Brandon Sanderson except maybe his first work. A Way of Kings is an epic fantasy novel about several characters -- a king, a slave, and an assassin! It's amazing, but its high fantasy so it's several 500-page novels. I still have yet to read the last book but I love the series.
Anything by Brandon Sanderson except maybe his first work. A Way of Kings is an epic fantasy novel about several characters -- a king, a slave, and an assassin! It's amazing, but its high fantasy so it's several 500-page novels. I still have yet to read the last book but I love the series.
mt8lr6s.png
[quote name="ForestHeart" date="2024-03-04 03:20:11" ] [quote name="Loiz" date="2024-03-03 05:21:04" ] Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz’s crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don’t kill each other first. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23437156-six-of-crows I absolutely loved this book, easy read, great characters in a good setting. easy 5/5 [/quote] I might have to pick this one up. I keep hearing good things about it from booktubers. [/quote] Highly recommending to do so and the second book Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo is all around great ending to the duology. [emoji=rainbow star 1 size=1]
ForestHeart wrote on 2024-03-04 03:20:11:
Loiz wrote on 2024-03-03 05:21:04:

easy 5/5

I might have to pick this one up. I keep hearing good things about it from booktubers.

Highly recommending to do so and the second book Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo is all around great ending to the duology.