Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Games for non-gamers
I highly recommend Pentiment! It's a 2d visual novel style of game about a murder mystery, but it's all done in the style of beautiful medieval and renaissance artwork. It's not got a lot of gameplay elements, but has an intriguing story, great characters, and a more low-key game style.

The Nancy Drew games might be up her alley, too! My mom really enjoys this style of point and click mystery games, and I think?? There are similar ones that work on iPad. That's the direction I would go in. Places like Big Fish games or this steam page for Nancy Drew: https://store.steampowered.com/app/210230/Nancy_Drew_Tomb_of_the_Lost_Queen/

My mom is in the same boat as yours about 3d games, she can't control the "looking" stick and the "moving" stick at the same time ahah. Hope she finds something she likes!
I highly recommend Pentiment! It's a 2d visual novel style of game about a murder mystery, but it's all done in the style of beautiful medieval and renaissance artwork. It's not got a lot of gameplay elements, but has an intriguing story, great characters, and a more low-key game style.

The Nancy Drew games might be up her alley, too! My mom really enjoys this style of point and click mystery games, and I think?? There are similar ones that work on iPad. That's the direction I would go in. Places like Big Fish games or this steam page for Nancy Drew: https://store.steampowered.com/app/210230/Nancy_Drew_Tomb_of_the_Lost_Queen/

My mom is in the same boat as yours about 3d games, she can't control the "looking" stick and the "moving" stick at the same time ahah. Hope she finds something she likes!
4e48afae7ea64e587fff31cf892fcf9de1d76c3a.png
Critter Adopts
The acorn beckons
Divider-Branch4.png
33341.png Horsiesmall.png
You can't go wrong with the Sims. My mom was never a gamer but omg did she like playing the Sims. Even broke one of the buttons on our controller button mashing over the Sims lol She also really loved Fable (Yes, THAT Fable) and Fable: The lost Chapters. Honestly, you maybe surprised with what she might enjoy, so just pick a random one out. I remember we bonded over a random platformer game for the original xbox called vexx. I remember we printed out a huge game guide and everything for it. She hasn't played any games in years but it was still cool that she took an interest in the ones I showed her.

Got a little off topic but like I said, Sims is a great starter game. It's easy going and is a universally liked game even by those who wouldn't really call themselves gamers. I also think app and web browser games would also be a good way to get her used to the idea of games and then just work up to more complex ones from there.
You can't go wrong with the Sims. My mom was never a gamer but omg did she like playing the Sims. Even broke one of the buttons on our controller button mashing over the Sims lol She also really loved Fable (Yes, THAT Fable) and Fable: The lost Chapters. Honestly, you maybe surprised with what she might enjoy, so just pick a random one out. I remember we bonded over a random platformer game for the original xbox called vexx. I remember we printed out a huge game guide and everything for it. She hasn't played any games in years but it was still cool that she took an interest in the ones I showed her.

Got a little off topic but like I said, Sims is a great starter game. It's easy going and is a universally liked game even by those who wouldn't really call themselves gamers. I also think app and web browser games would also be a good way to get her used to the idea of games and then just work up to more complex ones from there.
I don't know if these are a good suggestion, but have you checked The Room? Basically, you need to open puzzle boxes. There's 4 games (I think). I didn't find the puzzles hard, and the mechanical and clicking sounds of it are super satisfying. They're also dark games, without jumpscares or horror, with an interesting and mysterious background. The controls are basically just mouse from what I remember!

I suggest you check them on youtube or something, maybe it's something your mom would like!
I don't know if these are a good suggestion, but have you checked The Room? Basically, you need to open puzzle boxes. There's 4 games (I think). I didn't find the puzzles hard, and the mechanical and clicking sounds of it are super satisfying. They're also dark games, without jumpscares or horror, with an interesting and mysterious background. The controls are basically just mouse from what I remember!

I suggest you check them on youtube or something, maybe it's something your mom would like!
bokura is a 2 player puzzle game where each person sees a different view of the world and solves puzzles together. there's elements of the game that are visually disturbing but it's a very simple 2d scroller where you solve puzzles with someone you know

sticky business is a cute game about creating stickers. you arrange a bunch of pre made assets together and get orders and decorate your packages. some storylines to follow but it isn't that deep
bokura is a 2 player puzzle game where each person sees a different view of the world and solves puzzles together. there's elements of the game that are visually disturbing but it's a very simple 2d scroller where you solve puzzles with someone you know

sticky business is a cute game about creating stickers. you arrange a bunch of pre made assets together and get orders and decorate your packages. some storylines to follow but it isn't that deep
TeMkEVX.png
GPbVPRP.png Shamura
1OX9mEs.gif any pronouns
1OX9mEs.gif FR time +0
1OX9mEs.gif Abe love ♥
1OX9mEs.gifAvatar dragon
sqaur.png FxIG1mZ.gif For DRS: I have more dragons in the hibden
1OX9mEs.gif For IKTR: my fandragons are here
1OX9mEs.gif Robots are peak character design
1OX9mEs.gif goatlings
1OX9mEs.gif Play ISAT pleaaaase
Calico
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1112890/Calico/

It is a very easy-going 3D 3rd person game where you just do tasks for people. The game is extremely chill and doesn't rush you. Controls are basic for a PC game. The art style is quite simple, but the colors aren't acid bright. One of the main gimmicks of the game is pets.
Imo, it is a good game for kids and people who start their journey to video games.

Gris was already suggested, so I'll double down on this game.
Oxenfree is also a 2D platformer but with more mysterious, thriller and lovecraftian elements. Compared to Oxenfree, Gris is more chill but sad, however, Oxenfree isn't a horror, it just has this mystic theme with ghosts. I liked the story of the game and it being a 2D platformer makes it really easy to play.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/388880/Oxenfree/
Calico
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1112890/Calico/

It is a very easy-going 3D 3rd person game where you just do tasks for people. The game is extremely chill and doesn't rush you. Controls are basic for a PC game. The art style is quite simple, but the colors aren't acid bright. One of the main gimmicks of the game is pets.
Imo, it is a good game for kids and people who start their journey to video games.

Gris was already suggested, so I'll double down on this game.
Oxenfree is also a 2D platformer but with more mysterious, thriller and lovecraftian elements. Compared to Oxenfree, Gris is more chill but sad, however, Oxenfree isn't a horror, it just has this mystic theme with ghosts. I liked the story of the game and it being a 2D platformer makes it really easy to play.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/388880/Oxenfree/