Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Coatl skeleton realization
1 2
[quote name="Achaius" date="2022-10-05 21:38:54" ] [quote name="Strangeflesh" date="2022-10-05 21:35:14" ] [img]https://i.ibb.co/tD3x0y5/hairy-bush-viper-in-rainforest-picture-id1347960474.jpg[/img] [/quote] BOOP [/quote] THATS A BAD SNAKE CHOISE TO BOOP that noodle is spicy-spicy
Achaius wrote on 2022-10-05 21:38:54:
Strangeflesh wrote on 2022-10-05 21:35:14:
hairy-bush-viper-in-rainforest-picture-id1347960474.jpg
BOOP
THATS A BAD SNAKE CHOISE TO BOOP
that noodle is spicy-spicy
ew
ew
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
Hey
[quote name="Sunshine" date="2022-10-05 08:55:45" ] They could be like scutes (osteoderms) on an alligator! Basically, bits of bone not really attached to the skeleton as you'd imagine other bones, instead they sit under the skin. They are then covered in the 'horn like' keratin. [/quote] Seconding this. :0
Sunshine wrote on 2022-10-05 08:55:45:
They could be like scutes (osteoderms) on an alligator! Basically, bits of bone not really attached to the skeleton as you'd imagine other bones, instead they sit under the skin. They are then covered in the 'horn like' keratin.
Seconding this. :0
IMG-7213.png
x
fBOw4m5.png S E C T O N I A fBOw4m5.png
o or secti // she/they - FR +3 - wishlist
shortened-top.png
“In one of the stars I shall be living.
In one of them I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars
were laughing, when you look
at the sky at night.”

shortened-bottom.png
xx
I have been drawing them as feathers for years…I assumed they were stylized similarity to obelisk manes or something. I suppose that just means I can try to draw a few different ideas, though. [quote name="Realcottoncat" date="2022-10-05 22:30:04" ] But with coatl anatomy and skeletons, I have been very confused about the wings in the past. I have decided they do not work like other wings because they do not look like wings from either a bird or bat. Ghost gene tries makes them look like normal wings but I really do not think thats actually where the bone is... [/quote] I feel slightly less distressed knowing somebody is as confused by coatl wings as I. Every time I have to draw a coatl, I panic a little in pure confusion lol.
I have been drawing them as feathers for years…I assumed they were stylized similarity to obelisk manes or something. I suppose that just means I can try to draw a few different ideas, though.
Realcottoncat wrote on 2022-10-05 22:30:04:
But with coatl anatomy and skeletons, I have been very confused about the wings in the past. I have decided they do not work like other wings because they do not look like wings from either a bird or bat. Ghost gene tries makes them look like normal wings but I really do not think thats actually where the bone is...
I feel slightly less distressed knowing somebody is as confused by coatl wings as I. Every time I have to draw a coatl, I panic a little in pure confusion lol.
[quote name="SiltWolf" date="2022-10-06 18:05:38" ] [quote name="Realcottoncat" date="2022-10-05 22:30:04" ] But with coatl anatomy and skeletons, I have been very confused about the wings in the past. I have decided they do not work like other wings because they do not look like wings from either a bird or bat. Ghost gene tries makes them look like normal wings but I really do not think thats actually where the bone is... [/quote] I feel slightly less distressed knowing somebody is as confused by coatl wings as I. Every time I have to draw a coatl, I panic a little in pure confusion lol. [/quote] I think they're supposed to be stylized similarly to the wings of songbirds. Looking at them, they have a similar shape and structure. The horns tho.... I dunno what that is about. That's really weird. I'm tryna visualize how those like... grow.... and connect under the skin to the skeleton and I don't enjoy it.
SiltWolf wrote on 2022-10-06 18:05:38:
Realcottoncat wrote on 2022-10-05 22:30:04:
But with coatl anatomy and skeletons, I have been very confused about the wings in the past. I have decided they do not work like other wings because they do not look like wings from either a bird or bat. Ghost gene tries makes them look like normal wings but I really do not think thats actually where the bone is...
I feel slightly less distressed knowing somebody is as confused by coatl wings as I. Every time I have to draw a coatl, I panic a little in pure confusion lol.
I think they're supposed to be stylized similarly to the wings of songbirds. Looking at them, they have a similar shape and structure.

The horns tho.... I dunno what that is about. That's really weird. I'm tryna visualize how those like... grow.... and connect under the skin to the skeleton and I don't enjoy it.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
For some reason I thought those little whirly-doos on the sides of their heads were what Coatls used in place of standard ears. The Encyclopedia indicates that they lack both eardrums and a traditional ear structure. Since they still can hear, and must be pretty sensitive to shifts in pitch since their native language involves humming, and the curls are where ears would be, I assumed these were their sound collectors.

Hollow things vibrate more easily, so I imagined them as hollow. I figured that the curls varied in size because the largest picked up low tones best and the others handled the progressively higher ones. Kind of like how the tubes under a marimba vibrate at different pitches depending on their length, only on a coatl the tubes are twisted into tidy, more aerodynamic spirals.
For some reason I thought those little whirly-doos on the sides of their heads were what Coatls used in place of standard ears. The Encyclopedia indicates that they lack both eardrums and a traditional ear structure. Since they still can hear, and must be pretty sensitive to shifts in pitch since their native language involves humming, and the curls are where ears would be, I assumed these were their sound collectors.

Hollow things vibrate more easily, so I imagined them as hollow. I figured that the curls varied in size because the largest picked up low tones best and the others handled the progressively higher ones. Kind of like how the tubes under a marimba vibrate at different pitches depending on their length, only on a coatl the tubes are twisted into tidy, more aerodynamic spirals.
riVr93C.png
Sounds kinda speculative while Horne's are not the bones.
Thus I feel free look at them as I wish xD
Sounds kinda speculative while Horne's are not the bones.
Thus I feel free look at them as I wish xD

preorder list

Buy

Buy

Buy

Buy
I'd expect they work similarly to the recently discovered [i]Jakapil[/i] and Ankylosaurian and Stegosaurian dinosaurs! They have literally bone plate osteoderms (probably they had skin, scute or keratinous covering in life? I dunno) [i]Jakapil[/i] [url=http://novataxa.blogspot.com/2022/08/jakapil.html][img]https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgmu_aU_KGcXEkwfoH1WKNA6e3K0EmNlZBayrY2FoT_EuOGcB55zmOJTnoRGC7ONw27ktVerhZOaNTlk5xAwVQtXvsqy4uPGBbN9FCFIIrzQlgKdmuNjOSbFFYJdUj4g4mRX3Xm-TpJ3LPVdOEAJRyl58iqWudiCkBdakbQf_fSO34W81ScO4_qqzR--Q/s1200/Jakapil_kaniukura-novataxa_2022-Riguetti_Apesteguia_Pereda-Suberbiola__paleoArt_@PaleoGDY.jpg[/img][/url] assorted Ankylosaurian skeletons [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankylosauria][img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/12/Ankylosauria_Diversity.jpg/1024px-Ankylosauria_Diversity.jpg[/img][/url] [i]Kentrosaurus[/i], standing as a representative skeleton for the stegosaurians [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentrosaurus][img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ec/Berlin_Naturkundemuseum_Dino_Eingangshalle.jpg/1024px-Berlin_Naturkundemuseum_Dino_Eingangshalle.jpg[/img][/url] The bony shield osteoderms (and plates/spines) aren't attached directly to the rest of the rest of the skeleton with more bones, and I expect that coatls are the same
I'd expect they work similarly to the recently discovered Jakapil and Ankylosaurian and Stegosaurian dinosaurs!

They have literally bone plate osteoderms (probably they had skin, scute or keratinous covering in life? I dunno)
Jakapil
Jakapil_kaniukura-novataxa_2022-Riguetti_Apesteguia_Pereda-Suberbiola__paleoArt_@PaleoGDY.jpg
assorted Ankylosaurian skeletons
1024px-Ankylosauria_Diversity.jpg
Kentrosaurus, standing as a representative skeleton for the stegosaurians
1024px-Berlin_Naturkundemuseum_Dino_Eingangshalle.jpg

The bony shield osteoderms (and plates/spines) aren't attached directly to the rest of the rest of the skeleton with more bones, and I expect that coatls are the same
1 2