Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Miss Potential Media
I thought I'd start this thread because I had an idea and I wanted to rant about something. This thread is for anybody who wants to talk about a piece of media(movie, comic, novel, show, etc.) where there was potential, but you feel it was wasted. Be as brief or verbose as you like, just please be respectful.

I wanted to go on Yugioh because I recently revisited the original Season 0 arc of the manga and I was painfully reminded that this could've been a really cool horror-mystery adventure manga instead of a series of card games. Kazuki Takahashi's original vision for Yugioh was leagues different than what it became, and you can thank his publishers for that who wanted to push an agenda of toy sales. You have a guy who did everything to research ancient Egypt including getting a translated copy of the book of the dead only for his company to go "no lets do card games instead and if you don't like that we won't publish your story". You can kinda get a sense for what the story could've been in some of the easiest volumes.
Imagine a horror manga with the power of friendship and Egyptian magic out the wazoo, that would've been so cool.

Not to say people who love the Yugioh we got are wrong, it's totally fine! I'm just not into TCGs.

If anybody wants to learn more here's the source(tumblr): Why I Love Yugioh
I thought I'd start this thread because I had an idea and I wanted to rant about something. This thread is for anybody who wants to talk about a piece of media(movie, comic, novel, show, etc.) where there was potential, but you feel it was wasted. Be as brief or verbose as you like, just please be respectful.

I wanted to go on Yugioh because I recently revisited the original Season 0 arc of the manga and I was painfully reminded that this could've been a really cool horror-mystery adventure manga instead of a series of card games. Kazuki Takahashi's original vision for Yugioh was leagues different than what it became, and you can thank his publishers for that who wanted to push an agenda of toy sales. You have a guy who did everything to research ancient Egypt including getting a translated copy of the book of the dead only for his company to go "no lets do card games instead and if you don't like that we won't publish your story". You can kinda get a sense for what the story could've been in some of the easiest volumes.
Imagine a horror manga with the power of friendship and Egyptian magic out the wazoo, that would've been so cool.

Not to say people who love the Yugioh we got are wrong, it's totally fine! I'm just not into TCGs.

If anybody wants to learn more here's the source(tumblr): Why I Love Yugioh
Spore. It is okay fun, sure, but it was originally intended to be more spec-evo. More realism in designs, natural evolution, not just being basically five minigames and a creature creator. Even the final has several cut features, such as a plant creator.
During development, two teams started to form, one fighting for accuracy, the other for making the game, I quote, "fun and cute". Guess which side won.

And so far, nothing has sadly come out that is anything like what Spore had been concieved as. Closest might be Niche, but it's all about one single, mammal-like species, and also turn-based.
Spore. It is okay fun, sure, but it was originally intended to be more spec-evo. More realism in designs, natural evolution, not just being basically five minigames and a creature creator. Even the final has several cut features, such as a plant creator.
During development, two teams started to form, one fighting for accuracy, the other for making the game, I quote, "fun and cute". Guess which side won.

And so far, nothing has sadly come out that is anything like what Spore had been concieved as. Closest might be Niche, but it's all about one single, mammal-like species, and also turn-based.
steven universe kinda had lost potential. wish they didn't redeem the diamonds, or didnt do it as quickly as they did.

warrior cats also. it's a fun book series, but man has it soured into milked nonsense
steven universe kinda had lost potential. wish they didn't redeem the diamonds, or didnt do it as quickly as they did.

warrior cats also. it's a fun book series, but man has it soured into milked nonsense
beware of spelling errord, my keyboard is broken and my hands finemotor skills are too.
please click on my creatures, thanks
Lab Profile
[quote name="Acetheaxolotl" date="2022-05-17 09:35:12" ] warrior cats also. it's a fun book series, but man has it soured into milked nonsense [/quote] yes! i want to reread the books so bad, warrior cats was at the core of my childhood. but i just known all the plot holes/inconsistency would annoy me now
Acetheaxolotl wrote on 2022-05-17 09:35:12:

yes! i want to reread the books so bad, warrior cats was at the core of my childhood. but i just known all the plot holes/inconsistency would annoy me now