Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Breed Lineup Art (Pricing Advice? Help)
Hey! I've never done this kind of thing before so please forgive my being a little all over the place, haha So recently I decided to work on creating my own line-up of all the current FlightRising breeds. Mainly because the way I imagine them doesn't really abide to the canon size ranges and I wanted to share how I saw them with other people. However, the longer I've worked on it the more I've wondered if others would find something like this useful, and I'm considering making the file available to FR users in exchange for gems. The only issue is that I'm not at all sure how much I should charge? My hope is that people would be able to use these assets for showing others their own ideas of the breed sizes, customizing/altering the assets in any way they please (tracing, recoloring, adding accessories to make it more like their character, etc.) I admit that the way I'm saving these dragons' layers doesn't exactly lend itself well to easy recoloring (I'm a messy artist) but it [i]would[/i] be all breeds, and people could do nearly anything they wanted with it so long as it remained for personal use and I was credited in any altered art made from it (they wouldn't be allowed to distribute the original assets themselves altered or unaltered, for free or otherwise.) I don't want to overcharge as I'd like for this to be accessible to the average user, but I'd also like to get a fair payment for how much work this has taken lol. I'm just not sure what kind of price range I should go for. Here's the breeds I have so far: [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/660001633605779456/824137109203845140/unknown.png[/img] [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/660001633605779456/824137206734127114/unknown.png[/img] And here's a few of them at full resolution, just to give you an idea: [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/660001633605779456/824137284981882920/unknown.png[/img] I won't be releasing this until I've finished all breeds, of course, but figured examples should be included!
Hey! I've never done this kind of thing before so please forgive my being a little all over the place, haha

So recently I decided to work on creating my own line-up of all the current FlightRising breeds. Mainly because the way I imagine them doesn't really abide to the canon size ranges and I wanted to share how I saw them with other people. However, the longer I've worked on it the more I've wondered if others would find something like this useful, and I'm considering making the file available to FR users in exchange for gems.

The only issue is that I'm not at all sure how much I should charge?

My hope is that people would be able to use these assets for showing others their own ideas of the breed sizes, customizing/altering the assets in any way they please (tracing, recoloring, adding accessories to make it more like their character, etc.) I admit that the way I'm saving these dragons' layers doesn't exactly lend itself well to easy recoloring (I'm a messy artist) but it would be all breeds, and people could do nearly anything they wanted with it so long as it remained for personal use and I was credited in any altered art made from it (they wouldn't be allowed to distribute the original assets themselves altered or unaltered, for free or otherwise.)

I don't want to overcharge as I'd like for this to be accessible to the average user, but I'd also like to get a fair payment for how much work this has taken lol. I'm just not sure what kind of price range I should go for.

Here's the breeds I have so far:

unknown.png
unknown.png

And here's a few of them at full resolution, just to give you an idea:

unknown.png

I won't be releasing this until I've finished all breeds, of course, but figured examples should be included!
JrBnUx0.pngq9GXCbk.pngsTpMZa9.png
bump
bump
Oh, these are beautiful.
Oh, these are beautiful.
  • Tender/Vulture
  • FR+3
  • She/They
  • Actual Turkey Vulture
XxqDwGq.png
SWAMP BIOME PLAGUE 4 LYFE, BABEY!!!
Ahhh thank you [emoji=tundra laughing size=1] Hopefully soon I can make it available to everyone else!
Ahhh thank you Hopefully soon I can make it available to everyone else!
T'is a friendly bump.

Bump
T'is a friendly bump.

Bump
//apologetic bump
//apologetic bump
Final bump, starting to think this may have been the wrong place to ask a;sldkfj
Final bump, starting to think this may have been the wrong place to ask a;sldkfj
@Svantanon
it's kind of an unusual thing to price! i think it's a really cool idea, but to be honest, most of the similar resources i tend to see people sharing are free. i guess you could compare this to adoptables, but with adopts the artist selling them does the additional work of customising the adopt for the buyer's dragons. I don't often see people selling just the template.

this isn't to say that you can't or shouldn't try to sell these! I've definitely seen a market for base/template art elsewhere. the ones that sell tend to be very clean and neat bases, though, which are easily recolorable and customisable. there are already tools out there like the dragon size comparison site; so there's a precedent for stuff like this being a free resource. i think if you're set on selling this, you'd get more customers if it was more easily customisable - but that would also involve a lot of work cleaning up the bases for easy recoloring and editing, so... ymmv on whether it ends up being worthwhile, haha.

honestly, my advice would probably just be to make it available as pay-what-you-want. i don't know that there's a big market for sketchier templates like this, and that'd save you from having to worry about pricing. just my 2c though!
@Svantanon
it's kind of an unusual thing to price! i think it's a really cool idea, but to be honest, most of the similar resources i tend to see people sharing are free. i guess you could compare this to adoptables, but with adopts the artist selling them does the additional work of customising the adopt for the buyer's dragons. I don't often see people selling just the template.

this isn't to say that you can't or shouldn't try to sell these! I've definitely seen a market for base/template art elsewhere. the ones that sell tend to be very clean and neat bases, though, which are easily recolorable and customisable. there are already tools out there like the dragon size comparison site; so there's a precedent for stuff like this being a free resource. i think if you're set on selling this, you'd get more customers if it was more easily customisable - but that would also involve a lot of work cleaning up the bases for easy recoloring and editing, so... ymmv on whether it ends up being worthwhile, haha.

honestly, my advice would probably just be to make it available as pay-what-you-want. i don't know that there's a big market for sketchier templates like this, and that'd save you from having to worry about pricing. just my 2c though!
XfL644W.png
WhPZGJa.png
I appreciate the feedback; that's a perfectly valid point and I was aware of the other breed comparison resources, I guess I was just hoping this would be different enough to warrant a set price haha

I might be able to go back and use Photoshop to tweak the dragons and add an underlayer to make recolors easier. That might work.

Pay-what-you-want sounds like my only viable option, but I'd probably want to think of a minimum price first. Thanks for commenting!

(Had to edit this cause the forum didn't recognize an emoji)
I appreciate the feedback; that's a perfectly valid point and I was aware of the other breed comparison resources, I guess I was just hoping this would be different enough to warrant a set price haha

I might be able to go back and use Photoshop to tweak the dragons and add an underlayer to make recolors easier. That might work.

Pay-what-you-want sounds like my only viable option, but I'd probably want to think of a minimum price first. Thanks for commenting!

(Had to edit this cause the forum didn't recognize an emoji)