Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | What do you think of Goat and Swirl eyes
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
i honestly detest the goat eyes, they creep me out and i will be destroying them immediately if they come on any dragon i have any plans of keeping c': even still though, not a fan of this "unobtainable unless hatched thing" bc wow, that's gonna be a real heckin pain for people who do like them.
the swirl eyes are neato though. they're weird but they kinda have accent colors, almost? so they might be fun to play with. and i'm always for more coli drops, bring those on.
i honestly detest the goat eyes, they creep me out and i will be destroying them immediately if they come on any dragon i have any plans of keeping c': even still though, not a fan of this "unobtainable unless hatched thing" bc wow, that's gonna be a real heckin pain for people who do like them.
the swirl eyes are neato though. they're weird but they kinda have accent colors, almost? so they might be fun to play with. and i'm always for more coli drops, bring those on.
[img]https://static.scientificamerican.com/blogs/cache/file/2BB31EB4-90FD-40C8-96BC96295F77DF11_source.jpg[/img] Rabbs' Tree Froggie.. poor dude became extinct a few years back. Tree frog snappies would be sooo valid. Need cat eyes for this dude, and maybe a nifty new gene.. Tree frog would be such a cool gene. [img]https://www.sciencemag.org/sites/default/files/styles/article_main_large/public/Red_eyed_tree_frog16x9.jpg[/img]
2BB31EB4-90FD-40C8-96BC96295F77DF11_source.jpg

Rabbs' Tree Froggie.. poor dude became extinct a few years back. Tree frog snappies would be sooo valid.

Need cat eyes for this dude, and maybe a nifty new gene.. Tree frog would be such a cool gene.

Red_eyed_tree_frog16x9.jpg
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
I'm not a big fan of either (swirl is too cartoons and goat freaks me out) but I do stand by staff's decision to make goat breeding exclusive. There needs to be something on this site to force old players to buy new dragons rather than just endlessly edit their old permas.

I'm not hating on old players, I've been here two years myself and have now ~50 permas locked out of goat eyes and primal/multigaze, but like... This is a dragon breeding pet site. It's part of the game. If you choose to never breed/buy newer dragons/whatever, then you are also choosing to not get goat eyes. It's your choice, no one has forced you to make it. We have the HD now, so it's even easier than ever to put old, well-loved permas you'll never breed in the showcase and try something new.
I'm not a big fan of either (swirl is too cartoons and goat freaks me out) but I do stand by staff's decision to make goat breeding exclusive. There needs to be something on this site to force old players to buy new dragons rather than just endlessly edit their old permas.

I'm not hating on old players, I've been here two years myself and have now ~50 permas locked out of goat eyes and primal/multigaze, but like... This is a dragon breeding pet site. It's part of the game. If you choose to never breed/buy newer dragons/whatever, then you are also choosing to not get goat eyes. It's your choice, no one has forced you to make it. We have the HD now, so it's even easier than ever to put old, well-loved permas you'll never breed in the showcase and try something new.
angy.png FR time +3
they/them
Water Dom Org
...............................water-swon.png
not one for swirl, but i love goat.

now if only the staff could actually make a vial or something for them
not one for swirl, but i love goat.

now if only the staff could actually make a vial or something for them
g2TOb2t.png

°howdy pardner
[quote name="Mertisal" date="2019-03-22 18:40:42" ] I'm not hating on old players, I've been here two years myself and have now ~50 permas locked out of goat eyes and primal/multigaze, but like... This is a dragon breeding pet site. It's part of the game. If you choose to never breed/buy newer dragons/whatever, then you are also choosing to not get goat eyes. It's your choice, no one has forced you to make it. We have the HD now, so it's even easier than ever to put old, well-loved permas you'll never breed in the showcase and try something new. [/quote] If the mechanic had been around since the beginning or at some point we were told that "Hey, those dragons you're working on getting, hatching, breeding, buying, etc - we're gonna force you to get ride of them because why not" then I might be on-board with this idea. As it stands though the site has always had minimal random chance elements. The only major one being gender. You could always control color range and you always had a say in element (even if it meant going out of your way for it). You always had control over breed - except for G1 imps, non-g1 always had a chance. Then suddenly we no longer have this. Every single dragon that existed beforehand now is forfeit. You spent years breeding your dream dragon? Too bad breed them again. You like your progen with goat eyes? Too bad, get a replacement. That anniversary G1 from the first year you were on-site? Toss it out. If this was always the direction they wanted to go, personally I would have liked to know sooner so I could have spent my time elsewhere or changed my plans accordingly. The site has ALWAYS been big on 'there's no one CORRECT way to play'. You could always get what you were after no matter what method you took to get there. Now we're hard pushing breeding and that's literally the only way - aside from lucky hatches. There's always been a strategy to employ when breeding. Parent colors, breed, etc. There's no strategy to this, it's just luck. Staff said they never intended dragons to be a way that players made money. It wasn't something they thought would happen. Now, suddenly, they want dragons to be a way to make money via special attributes that spawn randomly. It seems completely opposite of what they've been building up too this entire time otherwise. [rule] As to the eyes themselves. I find that I stopped caring so much about eye types. As a partial G1 collector I sort of have to stop caring or else I might as well toss out my entire lair and hope I get a good hatch or decide that scatterquests on ugly hatchlings are a good waste of money. Goat is cool. I've seen a lot of people asking for it or something similar. Shame they can't reliably get it. Spiral is cool. Neither can be seen on most adult breeds, as others have said. I wish I could be more excited about them. It seems like a fun thing. It's just not really working out that way, imo
Mertisal wrote on 2019-03-22 18:40:42:

If the mechanic had been around since the beginning or at some point we were told that "Hey, those dragons you're working on getting, hatching, breeding, buying, etc - we're gonna force you to get ride of them because why not" then I might be on-board with this idea.

As it stands though the site has always had minimal random chance elements. The only major one being gender. You could always control color range and you always had a say in element (even if it meant going out of your way for it). You always had control over breed - except for G1 imps, non-g1 always had a chance.

Then suddenly we no longer have this. Every single dragon that existed beforehand now is forfeit. You spent years breeding your dream dragon? Too bad breed them again. You like your progen with goat eyes? Too bad, get a replacement. That anniversary G1 from the first year you were on-site? Toss it out.

If this was always the direction they wanted to go, personally I would have liked to know sooner so I could have spent my time elsewhere or changed my plans accordingly.

The site has ALWAYS been big on 'there's no one CORRECT way to play'. You could always get what you were after no matter what method you took to get there. Now we're hard pushing breeding and that's literally the only way - aside from lucky hatches.

There's always been a strategy to employ when breeding. Parent colors, breed, etc. There's no strategy to this, it's just luck.

Staff said they never intended dragons to be a way that players made money. It wasn't something they thought would happen. Now, suddenly, they want dragons to be a way to make money via special attributes that spawn randomly.

It seems completely opposite of what they've been building up too this entire time otherwise.

As to the eyes themselves. I find that I stopped caring so much about eye types. As a partial G1 collector I sort of have to stop caring or else I might as well toss out my entire lair and hope I get a good hatch or decide that scatterquests on ugly hatchlings are a good waste of money.

Goat is cool. I've seen a lot of people asking for it or something similar. Shame they can't reliably get it. Spiral is cool.

Neither can be seen on most adult breeds, as others have said.

I wish I could be more excited about them. It seems like a fun thing. It's just not really working out that way, imo
IT7iTv8.png
[quote name="Mertisal" date="2019-03-22 18:40:42" ] I'm not a big fan of either (swirl is too cartoons and goat freaks me out) but I do stand by staff's decision to make goat breeding exclusive. There needs to be something on this site to force old players to buy new dragons rather than just endlessly edit their old permas. I'm not hating on old players, I've been here two years myself and have now ~50 permas locked out of goat eyes and primal/multigaze, but like... This is a dragon breeding pet site. It's part of the game. If you choose to never breed/buy newer dragons/whatever, then you are also choosing to not get goat eyes. It's your choice, no one has forced you to make it. We have the HD now, so it's even easier than ever to put old, well-loved permas you'll never breed in the showcase and try something new. [/quote] The problem with this is that staff have explicitly stated many times that ALL playstyles are equally valid, and there is no one 'correct' playstyle. Them opting to lock people whose playstyles involve old dragons or Gen1s completely out of new content is just like saying that those playstyles are not valid, and are not the correct way to play the game. I would also argue that this isn't a breeding game as much as a customization game (breeding just being one of many potential-[i]not required[/i]- tools used to achieve customization); any hard restriction put on customization is a bad move.
Mertisal wrote on 2019-03-22 18:40:42:

The problem with this is that staff have explicitly stated many times that ALL playstyles are equally valid, and there is no one 'correct' playstyle. Them opting to lock people whose playstyles involve old dragons or Gen1s completely out of new content is just like saying that those playstyles are not valid, and are not the correct way to play the game. I would also argue that this isn't a breeding game as much as a customization game (breeding just being one of many potential-not required- tools used to achieve customization); any hard restriction put on customization is a bad move.
[quote] Then suddenly we no longer have this. Every single dragon that existed beforehand is now is not forfeit. You spent years breeding your dream dragon? Too bad breed them again. You like your progen with goat eyes? Too bad, get a replacement. That anniversary G1 from the first year you were on-site? Toss it out. [/quote] That's what the hibernal den is for. You don't have to throw them out, you can still keep and love your oldies just as you always have. You don't have to "toss it out". You can still keep all those dragons you love, and if they were perfect before then they are still perfect now. I have my own dragons that would look just gorgeous with faceted eyes, but having common eyes doesn't make them worse or imperfect. Like, they are and always have been beautiful, and maybe I can't get exactly the eyes I would want, but I also can't get their apparel to stop clipping. It doesn't devalue old dragons, it just increases the value of new ones. And again, the eyes are so small on most adults it doesn't even matter because you can't see it anyway. So really, unless you are adamant on having a goat permababy or spiral/Fae/coatl, then you aren't missing anything. Edit: [quote]Breeding is the central focus of Flight Rising[/quote] Taken straight from the site overview page.
Quote:
Then suddenly we no longer have this. Every single dragon that existed beforehand is now is not forfeit. You spent years breeding your dream dragon? Too bad breed them again. You like your progen with goat eyes? Too bad, get a replacement. That anniversary G1 from the first year you were on-site? Toss it out.
That's what the hibernal den is for. You don't have to throw them out, you can still keep and love your oldies just as you always have. You don't have to "toss it out". You can still keep all those dragons you love, and if they were perfect before then they are still perfect now. I have my own dragons that would look just gorgeous with faceted eyes, but having common eyes doesn't make them worse or imperfect. Like, they are and always have been beautiful, and maybe I can't get exactly the eyes I would want, but I also can't get their apparel to stop clipping. It doesn't devalue old dragons, it just increases the value of new ones.

And again, the eyes are so small on most adults it doesn't even matter because you can't see it anyway. So really, unless you are adamant on having a goat permababy or spiral/Fae/coatl, then you aren't missing anything.

Edit:
Quote:
Breeding is the central focus of Flight Rising
Taken straight from the site overview page.
angy.png FR time +3
they/them
Water Dom Org
...............................water-swon.png
Swirl Is Candy Eyes
Swirl Is Candy Eyes
I am disappointed in all the eye types personally just for the fact that they are so pointless on adult dragons unfortunately.

Im an oldbie that recently returned and some of the new features are odd and I dont necessarily like them but I know others do and I'm fine with it :) I also dont feel upset that my old dragons and original gen 1's cant have some of the new eye features because that adds to their OG-ness anyway? XD
I am disappointed in all the eye types personally just for the fact that they are so pointless on adult dragons unfortunately.

Im an oldbie that recently returned and some of the new features are odd and I dont necessarily like them but I know others do and I'm fine with it :) I also dont feel upset that my old dragons and original gen 1's cant have some of the new eye features because that adds to their OG-ness anyway? XD
[quote name="Mertisal" date="2019-03-22 19:04:13" ] [quote] Then suddenly we no longer have this. Every single dragon that existed beforehand is now is not forfeit. You spent years breeding your dream dragon? Too bad breed them again. You like your progen with goat eyes? Too bad, get a replacement. That anniversary G1 from the first year you were on-site? Toss it out. [/quote] That's what the hibernal den is for. You don't have to throw them out, you can still keep and love your oldies just as you always have. You don't have to "toss it out". You can still keep all those dragons you love, and if they were perfect before then they are still perfect now. I have my own dragons that would look just gorgeous with faceted eyes, but having common eyes doesn't make them worse or imperfect. Like, they are and always have been beautiful, and maybe I can't get exactly the eyes I would want, but I also can't get their apparel to stop clipping. It doesn't devalue old dragons, it just increases the value of new ones. And again, the eyes are so small on most adults it doesn't even matter because you can't see it anyway. So really, unless you are adamant on having a goat permababy or spiral/Fae/coatl, then you aren't missing anything. Edit: [quote]Breeding is the central focus of Flight Rising[/quote] Taken straight from the site overview page. [/quote] Like I said. If it had always been this way I wouldn't have a problem. I'd love primal on my progen. Her lore fits it. It's impossible for me to get. Impossible for me to breed for because I can't breed a G1. Can't breed a Progen. I could get a copy, sure. It's not the same dragon. I already went through the trouble of doing my breeding projects. If one looks better with a breedable eye type then sure I can keep the old one and ignore it. That's not really the point though. The point is that now I have to throw away all that work if I wanted to make the dragon even 'better' in my eyes and start over. I already did the work. Already got the results. I shouldn't have to do it all over again with an added random chance element. Choosing not to breed dragons was never a punishment before. You never missed out on new things. You could always get new breeds, genes, even colors (although also a random chance I'll admit). Now I do not get to experience the new things because I do not breed. If I had known this would be a problem I would maybe not have picked this play-style. I wouldn't have started collecting G1's that I didn't breed. The eyes being small doesn't' really help either. It's just another reason that they should have been done differently imo. Like... why do we have or need them if you can't even see them on most dragons? Like I don't' know what my tone is like in these messages but I honestly am not too bothered. I don't care about eye types because my play-style dictates I can't get them. So I try not to worry about them. But this has never been the case before now. I never had to completely ignore a feature of the game because I choose to play this way. Now I do and I'm just not completely jazzed about it I suppose. The way they have decided to implement this, you are generally correct. I just believe, like many others, there were better ways to go about it. [b]Edit[/b] to respond to your edit. Yes most of us are aware of that blurb. Too bad they've turned it into random breeding instead of strategic, like I mentioned. It's always been a breeding sim but you could control what you were breeding for. Now there is a factor that is completely out of the players control with an RNG curve that isn't 50/50 like gender. People are still working on breeding projects from the eye introduction. I still haven't hatched a primal from my breeding pairs. It's not great.
Mertisal wrote on 2019-03-22 19:04:13:
Quote:
Then suddenly we no longer have this. Every single dragon that existed beforehand is now is not forfeit. You spent years breeding your dream dragon? Too bad breed them again. You like your progen with goat eyes? Too bad, get a replacement. That anniversary G1 from the first year you were on-site? Toss it out.
That's what the hibernal den is for. You don't have to throw them out, you can still keep and love your oldies just as you always have. You don't have to "toss it out". You can still keep all those dragons you love, and if they were perfect before then they are still perfect now. I have my own dragons that would look just gorgeous with faceted eyes, but having common eyes doesn't make them worse or imperfect. Like, they are and always have been beautiful, and maybe I can't get exactly the eyes I would want, but I also can't get their apparel to stop clipping. It doesn't devalue old dragons, it just increases the value of new ones.

And again, the eyes are so small on most adults it doesn't even matter because you can't see it anyway. So really, unless you are adamant on having a goat permababy or spiral/Fae/coatl, then you aren't missing anything.

Edit:
Quote:
Breeding is the central focus of Flight Rising
Taken straight from the site overview page.

Like I said. If it had always been this way I wouldn't have a problem.

I'd love primal on my progen. Her lore fits it. It's impossible for me to get. Impossible for me to breed for because I can't breed a G1. Can't breed a Progen.

I could get a copy, sure.

It's not the same dragon.

I already went through the trouble of doing my breeding projects. If one looks better with a breedable eye type then sure I can keep the old one and ignore it. That's not really the point though.

The point is that now I have to throw away all that work if I wanted to make the dragon even 'better' in my eyes and start over. I already did the work. Already got the results. I shouldn't have to do it all over again with an added random chance element.

Choosing not to breed dragons was never a punishment before. You never missed out on new things. You could always get new breeds, genes, even colors (although also a random chance I'll admit). Now I do not get to experience the new things because I do not breed.

If I had known this would be a problem I would maybe not have picked this play-style. I wouldn't have started collecting G1's that I didn't breed.

The eyes being small doesn't' really help either. It's just another reason that they should have been done differently imo. Like... why do we have or need them if you can't even see them on most dragons?

Like I don't' know what my tone is like in these messages but I honestly am not too bothered. I don't care about eye types because my play-style dictates I can't get them. So I try not to worry about them.

But this has never been the case before now. I never had to completely ignore a feature of the game because I choose to play this way. Now I do and I'm just not completely jazzed about it I suppose.

The way they have decided to implement this, you are generally correct. I just believe, like many others, there were better ways to go about it.

Edit to respond to your edit. Yes most of us are aware of that blurb. Too bad they've turned it into random breeding instead of strategic, like I mentioned. It's always been a breeding sim but you could control what you were breeding for. Now there is a factor that is completely out of the players control with an RNG curve that isn't 50/50 like gender. People are still working on breeding projects from the eye introduction. I still haven't hatched a primal from my breeding pairs. It's not great.
IT7iTv8.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11